PDA

View Full Version : Bane Blind and Vanishing

Cieyrin
2009-09-26, 12:06 PM
Two (newish) armor special abilities from the MIC that have an interesting anti-detection mechanic that I'm not quite sure how it works. They both say you can't be detected by nonmagical sensory methods (including scent, hearing, tremorsense, blindsense and the like). What exactly is meant by 'nonmagical' is my quandary. Does this mean I can be detected by Touchsense, since it's psionically produced, or by See Invisibility or True Seeing, since they're 'magical' senses? If a spell gave blindsight, would they detect the Vanished target?

Cieyrin
2009-09-26, 04:21 PM
So no thoughts, huh? They uses the Cloud Mind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/cloudMind.htm) power as their point of reference, though without a save to negate it. Somebody who actually plays psionics has to have some kinda insight on this, right?

Starbuck_II
2009-09-26, 04:28 PM
Two (newish) armor special abilities from the MIC that have an interesting anti-detection mechanic that I'm not quite sure how it works. They both say you can't be detected by nonmagical sensory methods (including scent, hearing, tremorsense, blindsense and the like). What exactly is meant by 'nonmagical' is my quandary. Does this mean I can be detected by Touchsense, since it's psionically produced, or by See Invisibility or True Seeing, since they're 'magical' senses? If a spell gave me blindsight, would I be detected by a Vanished target?

Magic= Psionics by default.

PinkysBrain
2009-09-26, 04:37 PM
A telekinetic field from a power sounds like magic to me, so yeah I'd say it detects you.

Cieyrin
2009-09-26, 05:55 PM
A telekinetic field from a power sounds like magic to me, so yeah I'd say it detects you.

The only reason I question this is that, at least in Vanishing's case (since I just noticed Bane Blind actually doesn't use Cloud Mind, it's just superficially similar), is that it's an Enchantment effect. Instead of hiding you, it removes you from others' perceptions, which makes me think that it might hold true against Touchsight and such. On the other hand, since it paraphrases Cloud Mind rather than refer to it, that could just be wishful thinking.

It comes down to whether you use the XPH version (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/armorAndShields.htm#vanishing) or the MIC version, I suppose.