PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder and Prestige Classes

Cedrass
2009-09-26, 05:18 PM
I got Pathfinder the day the book was out, and when I started to read it, I was amazed. It was exactly what my group needed. It is not a perfect system, but as far as I can tell, now every class is fun to play, fun to level up and gives itself well to a variety of character concepts (it was the case with 3.5, but often I didn't want to take a certain class because it was boring).

Now the hype machine cooled down, and I started to read the book and judge it a bit more, and I must say it is still the perfect system for my group, aside from one thing: Prestige Classes. They just seem so... Useless now.

I've rolled myself a Paladin for the campaign we are in right now, and I was planning on taking some levels in a prestige class, even though I didn't know which one, but now? No way, losing class features is just something I don't want to do. My friend rolled a wizard, and he said the same thing, he does not want to lose his school powers.

Now, I know it's kind of ironic to say this since a complaint I heard a lot on the boards is how some classes like Wizard were not meant to be taken for 20 levels, and now that they are I still whine about it.

Well, yes and no. I'm more whining about how they made the prestige classes so unatractive. Aside from the Pathfinder Chronicler (which is awesome for a bard) most prestige class give me that "It's nice, but not enough that I'll lose class features for this" feeling.

I guess I'm just wondering what the rest of the board think about it, and if I'm just some kind of whiny kid :smalltongue:.

Rixx
2009-09-26, 05:36 PM
It depends on what direction you want to take your character. Prestige Classes are an option rather than an inevitability now.

I'm playing a rogue in a Pathfinder game right now who was always meant to be a "combat expert" type - for her, it would make more sense character-wise to have her multiclass into Duelist than take Rogue for another 10 levels.

Saph
2009-09-26, 05:42 PM
Yeah, one thing Pathfinder definitely does is make single-classing a much more attractive prospect. Some classes in particular, like Sorcerers, gain so much from single-classing that it's hard to see why you'd ever want to PrC out. (Bonus spells known, bonus feats, extra powers . . . I really can't think of any prestige class that could match all that.)

Cedrass
2009-09-26, 06:06 PM
Yeah, one thing Pathfinder definitely does is make single-classing a much more attractive prospect. Some classes in particular, like Sorcerers, gain so much from single-classing that it's hard to see why you'd ever want to PrC out. (Bonus spells known, bonus feats, extra powers . . . I really can't think of any prestige class that could match all that.)

I'd only take one level of Sandshaper or a prestige class of the like for the spells. Then continue my Sorcerer up to 20.

It's like I said really, PrC are no more something I consider taking...

axraelshelm
2009-09-26, 06:20 PM
agreed but it just means one thing class/options or add ons. Let's say you become enrolled in a certain organisation like the Hell knights and everytime you get "taught" something in game let's say "smite chaos" because the Knights are all about order and law you can either have that or get three times a day when you spend a feat. you can almost equate all the powers/ abilities with feat buy.

olentu
2009-09-26, 06:22 PM
I would likely prestige class out for most clerics.