PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Hybrid Tempest Fighter/Rogue, advice?

MustacheFart
2009-09-26, 06:34 PM
Hey all,

So, I'm in a 4th ed game and I wanted to try out a hybrid build I had in mind so I created a hybrid tempest fighter/rogue. I've already played him in 2 sessions (1st session was intro session so no real combat until 2nd session). He seems to do pretty well but from playing him, I feel like I'm off somewhat on his powers.

Basically, he is a Half-Orc Hybrid Tempest Fighter/Rogue with Brutal Scoundrel. I created him using the 4th ed. character generator which surprisingly had within it/allowed for the hybrid rules. Here he is:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Drak Therin, level 12
Half-Orc, Fighter|Rogue, Paragon Hybrid
Hybrid Talent: Rogue Tactics
Rogue Tactics: Brutal Scoundrel
Paragon Hybrid Talent: Fighter Combat Talent
Fighter Combat Talent: Tempest Technique

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 16, Dex 21, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 15.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 15, Dex 16, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 14.

AC: 26 Fort: 23 Reflex: 23 Will: 18
HP: 84 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +17, Acrobatics +16, Stealth +16, Streetwise +13, Endurance +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +7, History +9, Insight +7, Intimidate +10, Nature +7, Perception +7, Religion +9, Thievery +11

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Light Blade)
Level 6: Backstabber
Level 8: Surprising Charge
Level 10: Nimble Blade
Level 11: Weapon Proficiency (Katar)

POWERS
Hybrid Fighter at-will 1: Dual Strike
Hybrid Rogue at-will 1: Clever Strike
Paragon Hybrid: Shooter's Nemesis
Paragon Hybrid: Twofold Torment
Hybrid encounter 1: Distracting Spate
Hybrid daily 1: Harrier's Ploy
Hybrid utility 2: Fleeting Ghost
Hybrid encounter 3: Nasty Backswing
Hybrid daily 5: Staggering Assault
Hybrid utility 6: Battle Awareness
Hybrid encounter 7: Hectoring Strike
Hybrid daily 9: Piquing Dare
Hybrid utility 10: Peripheral Concealment

ITEMS
Wraithblade Katar +2, Parrying Katar +2, Magic Leather Armor +2, Adventurer's Kit, Camouflaged Clothing, Climber's Kit, Inquisitive's Kit, Crowbar, Disguise Kit, Distance Dagger +1
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

------
I'm not really sure on the power selection I chose. Everywhere I looked people said to take Dual Strike for such a build but to be honest it seems very shatty. Only 1[W] damage per hit for 2 hits, one per target seems very weak. Also it's a fighter move so, I can't get sneak attack on it. For this reason I've been really liking Clever Strike. It's only [1W] + Dex but it's an at-will where if you have an ally adjacent to your target whom is able to attack your target, you count as having combat advantage for this attack, which means 3d8 + 6 sneak attack damage.

My other rogue moves seem to also have there own way to get/grant combat advantage. However, I've read the point of the build or the main strategy that is, is to pick up mostly tempest fighter powers. I just can't see why. I've picked up some but I just feel like there not as strong because of lack of sneak attack. I feel like I am missing something.

All that said, if anyone can help me out here with my power selection and possibly even feat selection. I got one extra for hitting 12th lvl that I haven't picked yet so....

As far as gear goes, we were limited to 10,000 gold and I think I made pretty good choices in gear. Also let me say that I'm not looking to go the Rogue Weapon Talent + Rogue Weapon Mastery route instead of Brutal Scoundrel. I didn't like the feel for the character dual-wielding two daggers and not being as strength focused.

The general concept of the character is a bounty hunter who mixes stealth, agility, and surprise attacks(aka. sneak attacks) with great strength and physical force.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks all!

MustacheFart

Shadow_Elf
2009-09-27, 12:30 AM
I would personally recommend the Tempest Technique for your free Hybrid Talent. That gives you +2 on all damage (instead of +6 on Sneak Attacks), +1 Ac/Reflex and... here it comes... +1 Attack. Then, dual wield Short Swords, Katars, any off-hand light blade, really. This is will be alot more useful to you than Brutal Scoundrel, IMHO, especially since only half of your powers will be from the rogue, and therefore only half will get sneak attack. you don't need brutal scoundrel, really.

For the Rogue at-will, I would go with Piercing Strike. Its effectively an attack bonus with no lowering in damage, which is excellent.

Now that you have Tempest Technique from Heroic tier, you can pick a better Paragon Path than Hybrid Paragon. I recommend Shocktrooper. This PP will make your Short Swords/Katars d8 sized, and at level 16, will give you an ability that's better than Brutal Scoundrel (+Dex mod to damage 1/round, on rogue or fighter powers).

Its too late at night for me to effectively critique power selection, but I generally find that at-will powers are your biggest choice and that, after that, the other powers are all pretty good choices.

Mando Knight
2009-09-27, 01:21 AM
The weapon you want is the Double Sword, from Adventurer's Vault. It's much stronger than any other light blade... and counts as a heavy blade at the same time.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-27, 02:44 AM
I'm not really sure on the power selection I chose. Everywhere I looked people said to take Dual Strike for such a build but to be honest it seems very shatty. Only 1[W] damage per hit for 2 hits, one per target seems very weak.
On the contrary. That's 1[W] plus your weapon's damage modifier, plus bonus from bracers, plus bonus from feats, plus any other bonuses you can think of. This is why rangers are probably the most damaging class in the game.

I believe that sneak attack doesn't apply to fighter powers, so this build isn't really synergizing all that well.

tcrudisi
2009-09-27, 01:41 PM
+1 to Kurald. Basically, what he said is completely true.

You have taken two very strong classes and mixed them in the hopes that they will somehow be greater than the sum of their parts. Unfortunately, that's not true in this case. For a Tempest Fighter, much like a Ranger, you want to stack static modifiers out the wazoo and make those two attacks hit harder than a sneak attack. For a Rogue, you want to make sure that you hit so you can deal the sneak attack damage.

Dual Strike is as good as everyone says it is ... except in your build, since you can't sneak attack with it.

I'm really not sure where I would take this build. Would I try to focus on the Rogue powers or the Fighter powers? I'm just not sure. Really, it seems like you want to do both roles, but this build just doesn't allow for it. Why not just play a straight Rogue, since it seems that you want to Sneak Attack as much as possible?

Without taking a deep look at this build, I will say this: Swap out Two Weapon Fighting for Weapon Focus. That'll be replacing +1 damage with +2 damage. I'll try to make some time to take a look at this later and see if I can give more input.

*note* If my post came across as rude or offensive, I apologize. When I re-read the post, it did seem a bit snarky, which was not my intention. I was just trying to give as honest of feedback as possible.

Thajocoth
2009-09-27, 04:38 PM
If you multiclass Ranger with the right multiclass feat, you can weild one-handed weapons as if they were offhand weapons. A Waraxe in each hand... Would render your Rogue powers useless, so nevermind that.

NPCMook
2009-09-27, 07:36 PM
Take Cutting Wheel Proficiency over Katar, they both deal the same damage and the Cutting Wheel has the Defensive Property.

Fighter|Rogue is a bit hard to do, since only your fighters powers can mark, and only your Rogue powers can sneak attack... not to mention because of Rogue you are restricted to Leather Armor, which your dex helps even it out. Honestly, I think you should talk with your DM and switch to Ranger|Rogue, and Multiclass into Fighter to take Shock Trooper

MustacheFart
2009-09-27, 10:10 PM
*note* If my post came across as rude or offensive, I apologize. When I re-read the post, it did seem a bit snarky, which was not my intention. I was just trying to give as honest of feedback as possible.

No harm, no foul, man! It's cool.

Although, I wish I would have been a little more forthright and descriptive originally in my post but alas I made the topic after having been up for...uhh...I'm not sure, let's just say over 24 hours lol.

You have taken two very strong classes and mixed them in the hopes that they will somehow be greater than the sum of their parts.

Actually, not to be snarky myself, but I never stated that I was mixing them, as you put it, "in the hopes that they will somehow be greater than the sum of their parts." I was simply trying to fit a character concept I came up with. So, I took the basis of a build I found online, that I thought was interesting and would fit and built up from it.

Also let me state that it was never my intention to solely focus on sneak attack. I just ended up doing that as a result of seeing it's strength. I've never played a straight rogue in 4th ed. I have played a straight fighter; although, not for that long. I've played a straight ranger for even longer so, I'm very well aware of their capabilities in the damage department.

I have to be quite honest. Due to the majority of everyone's replies so far, I feel like I am defending my character/build. Most of the replies I've received seem, somewhat, as attacks on the very build of my character, instead of as helpful suggestions addressing the issue I presented--that of, power and feat selection. I'm sorry if I am way off base here. I'm just saying what I perceived.

Now, back to my character. Given almost everyone's replies, I think it might be a good idea for me to explain, my thoughts, my rational, behind my build.

Basically, I had/have this idea of a character who is very deadly/strong damage-wise, as well as physically tough as all get out. One who's strength (ie. his power not the stat) focuses more on stealth and guile than that of brute physical force; though, he can play that game too if he needs to. Because of his qualities he's chosen a career as a bounty hunter. Being a bounty hunter really plays to his strong-suits. He get's to chase down his prey and then apprehend them, which if they're tough, means have a fight, in which he gets to use his strength to best his opponent. Not to mention, if he wins, he gets to take them and turn them in for a nice hefty bounty. Basically, he's a tough customer whom you wouldn't want on your tail. Think Boba Fett minus the jetpack and tactics focusing on ranged combat.

I could have gone ranger/fighter and I was considering it but I think I chose rogue for a couple reasons. 1) Because I thought being part rogue would reflect my character's choice of fighting strategically, even if dirty, over fighting like a typical warrior (aka I run in and chop/slash). And 2) I've already played a ranger so I wanted to try something new.

Now, I guess I have split my focus some. Really I just wanted to make a guy who's tough and hardy as a fighter and as deadly and sneaky as a rogue. I'm not trying to optimize to all get out here.

If anyone can help me with some suggestions so I can accomplish what I'm after that would be great.

Thanks

MustacheFart

tcrudisi
2009-09-27, 11:51 PM
After looking over your feats, I have three suggestions for improvement:

Two Weapon Fighting >> Weapon Focus (as I said above, this is a straight +1 damage changing to a +2 damage). Okay, TWF does lead to TW Opening... if you are trying to get that feat, ignore this suggestion.

Weapon Proficiency (Katar) >> Not as useful. Sure, it's high crit, but the Rapier is better overall (and still a light blade). For a really twinky weapon, go with the Double Sword as someone above me said and still do 1d8 damage and get a free +1 AC to boot. *added in a bit later* Actually, go Double Sword. Just do it. You can use the heavy end for your Fighter attacks and the light end for your Rogue attacks. Plus, it's a free +1 AC and increases your damage output. What's not to love?

Surprising Charge >> Err ... I'm not a big fan of this feat. How often do you get the extra 1d6 damage (considering you are using a Katar)? Even if you are using a Rapier, it's only 1d8 damage (average 4.5) when you Charge & have C.A. As such, I would take Two Weapon Fighting over this one. Yeah, I just said to retrain out of it... but there are better options, imo. Heck -- Slaying Action. Use your Sneak Attack a second time in a round. Two Weapon Opening would be another great choice.

As for powers...
I can see why you chose Nasty Backswing. But you ARE a Rogue that wants to make sure he gets C.A. every time. How often do you miss? Theoretically, it is possible to go through a combat without ever missing. It's pretty much not possible to go through a combat without having a free minor action. Take Low Slash instead. Plus, Low Slash targets Reflex, does the same damage, and has a nasty side-effect. It's complete win over Nasty Backswing.

Staggering Assault? If you want to hinder enemy movement, look instead at Walking Wounded. WW targets Fort instead (win), does equal or 1W less damage (lose), knocks them prone (win for allies), and screws their movement without allowing a save (win). Alternatively, look to Driving Assault, which will do more damage (win), give you two attacks instead of one (better chance to apply that sneak attack, so win), and still knock them prone for allies (win) ... but it doesn't hinder mobility beyond the prone (lose). Either one are a definite upgrade, however.

Battle Awareness is okay ... I would probably take Unbreakable. Instead of +10 to init once a day, I'd take -8 damage every encounter. Then again, I'm used to running without a healer and already have a high init modifier. So I can understand this decision.

Hectoring Strike? One word: Nooooooooooooo! Anything else (seriously). Since you do count as a Brutal Scoundrel, I'd take Imperiling Strike. Let's compare the benefits of each: Hectoring Strike: +6 damage, grats C.A. to YOU, and you slide him 1 square. Imperiling Strike: targets Fort (more likely to hit than AC), and imposes a -6 (!!!!) penalty to it's AC/Ref until the end of your next turn. The difference? A -6 to AC and Ref that helps your allies hit it ... versus you getting C.A.

Piquing Dare is a decent choice. However, at this level, no Rogue should ever (and I mean ever) pass up Knockout. You do less damage, sure. But you know what else? You spend your Action Point and coup de grace it's butt. Yes, you can do that. Yes, it will die. Knockout is so ridiculously good that it should not be a level 9 power.

Peripheral Concealment uses a standard action, so it would certainly not be my top choice. I like Defensive Resurgence for the minor action healing. Combat Tumbleset is also very good, as it is an encounter power that would let you shift your speed, even through enemies, which helps ensure C.A. (or even survival when you are trying to escape).

MustacheFart
2009-09-28, 02:10 AM
Sweet, I'll check all them out, thanks tcrudisi!

In regards to your suggestions though:

Ya, I actually have imperiling strike. At first, I didn't pick it because I thought, "My guy is a loner what do I care about helping others." lol and instead picked that one called something from shadows...Leap from shadows I think. Then after our first session I realized it sucked and swapped it. I was messing around with the build in the character builder and I thought I changed everything back. I must have missed one.

I was looking over weapons for a....loooong...loooong...time. I personally, didn't like Katars that much either but I liked them a lot more than daggers since I wasn't going Rogue Weapon Mastery and they were 1d6 as opposed to the dagger's 1d4.

I looked over the rapier and the double sword as well but figured high crit was better than defensive. I did manage to crit on a clever strike (level 1 at-will) doing like over 70+ damage but to be fair a lot of that came from getting sneak attack twice (once normally and once from weapon having wraithblade enh.). I guess that's not that great considering I still could have did damn near just as much with out high crit weapons. 2d6 extra on a nat. 20 versus +1 AC all the time. Ya, I think I will switch to the double sword. Plus the thematics that come to mind are much better than those for the katar.

I've got a couple new questions though.

After thinking A LOT more on the build, it does seem like I am focusing a lot on Rogue and not really getting much from fighter. I can definitely see why you suggested straight rogue.

That said, would it be better or maybe, at least, just as good if I switched my hybrid talent feat from Brutal Scoundrel (as appealing as the name is :smallbiggrin:) to Fighter Armor Proficiency?

EDIT: Never-mind, I just checked it out and I forgot you can't add your dex to AC with armor heavier than hide. If I went Fighter Armor Proficiency I'd have to wear hide to see any benefit to AC, but is +1 AC, which is all it would be, > +6 damage to sneak attacks? Plus, Brutal Scoundrel affects the damage of some powers. I don't suppose there is a way to be able to add your dex to AC while wearing armor heavier than hide, is there?

Another question, for this hybrid of fighter and rogue, would there be a better choice than Brutal Scoundrel? Perhaps combat superiority for the ability to stop enemies moving away from me?

My final question, with retraining, what power and/or feat would you retrain first? Like what do you think would be most dire, ie. that needs addressing first?

tcrudisi
2009-09-28, 09:15 AM
I have about 3 minutes before I have to walk out the door, but I'll make my suggestions first and then come back later and see how badly I screwed up. heh

Piquing Dare to Knockout. Just do it ASAP and revel in the madness.

then

Surprising Charge to Two Weapon Opening

If you've only played about one or two sessions and your DM is flexible, I'd ask him if you could slightly "reflavor" how your character works. By that, I mean I'd ask him, "Yo, I've found I'm not a big fan of Katar's. Will you allow me to switch out Weapon Prof (Katar) for (Double Sword) and replace those two Katar's with the Double Sword?" If he says no, use the persuasion technique where you back off what you are asking for and then instead just ask to replace the magical katars with a magical Double Sword. If he does allow you to, at worst, switch out the weapons but not the feat, then retraining that becomes top priority. *sigh* As beautiful as Knockout is... hehe

Mando Knight
2009-09-28, 10:10 AM
You can use the heavy end for your Fighter attacks and the light end for your Rogue attacks.

Oh, it's twinkier than that. Both ends count as off-hand, Light Blades, and Heavy Blades. At the same time. Thus, you can use them with Rogue powers, give it Heavy Blade enchantments (like Vorpal), make use of both Light and Heavy Blade powers and feats, and the Tempest Technique damage boost applies to both ends.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-28, 10:20 AM
After thinking A LOT more on the build, it does seem like I am focusing a lot on Rogue and not really getting much from fighter. I can definitely see why you suggested straight rogue.
...so why aren't you using straight rogue?

"A bounty hunter who mixes stealth, agility, and surprise attacks with great strength" is almost literally the description of a brutal scoundrel rogue, and has almost nothing to do with what a fighter is.

Jack_Banzai
2009-09-28, 12:35 PM
The weapon you want is the Double Sword, from Adventurer's Vault. It's much stronger than any other light blade... and counts as a heavy blade at the same time.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

Jack_Banzai
2009-09-28, 06:37 PM
...so why aren't you using straight rogue?

"A bounty hunter who mixes stealth, agility, and surprise attacks with great strength" is almost literally the description of a brutal scoundrel rogue, and has almost nothing to do with what a fighter is.

Yes. Really the only reason you'd want to hybrid Fighter with anything, as far as I can see, is to make use of Combat Challenge. Rogues do way more damage than Fighters anyway.

edit: sorry for the double post.

Shadow_Elf
2009-09-28, 10:13 PM
As I suggested above, I would recommend dropping Brutal Scoundrel for an earlier Tempest Technique and making your Paragon Path Shock Trooper. It will help a lot, fighter-wise and damage-wise.

Mando Knight
2009-09-28, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

There is no text in the Adventurer's Vault that implies otherwise, and the Character Builder supports that interpretation.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-29, 03:38 AM
There is no text in the Adventurer's Vault that implies otherwise, and the Character Builder supports that interpretation.
It does. The double sword is allegedly on many DM's banned lists on grounds of cheese or silliness - emphasis on "allegedly". By RAW, the thing works just fine, and is the best weapon for rogues since it does about twice the damage of a dagger, and can be used with Heavy Blade feats.

Jack_Banzai
2009-09-29, 08:29 PM

Have it your way. Time will tell.

MustacheFart
2009-09-29, 09:21 PM
By RAW, the thing works just fine, and is the best weapon for rogues since it does about twice the damage of a dagger, and can be used with Heavy Blade feats.

Can you list some examples of said Heavy Blade feats, that would be good for a rogue utilizing a double sword to take? Also what would be the best enchantment/s to put on a double sword, for a rogue?

I'm definitely planning to drop the katars for a double sword. For the moment, I'm thinking I'll put Wraith blade on the double sword like I did for one of my katars. Perhaps, there's a better lower level enhancement that I should choose instead though.

-MustacheFart

Kurald Galain
2009-09-30, 03:27 AM
Can you list some examples of said Heavy Blade feats, that would be good for a rogue utilizing a double sword to take?
Heavy Blade Opportunity. Primarily, the point is that it does 1d8 damage rather than 1d4.

Also what would be the best enchantment/s to put on a double sword, for a rogue?
Bloodclaw and Reckless. But then, that goes for most strikers.

Yakk
2009-09-30, 09:32 AM
The hidden cost of double sword is that you can only use one magic weapon.

The benefit? It is ridiculously good.

A feat rebuild:

Level 1: Hybrid Talent (Tempest Technique)
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Light Blade)
Level 6: Backstabber
Level 8: Weapon Proficiency (Double Sword)
Level 10: Nimble Blade
Level 11: Heavy Blade Opportunity

Effect:
+3 to hit with Combat Advantage, +2 otherwise
+4 to damage on all hits.
1d8 [W] damage
+1 AC

Before:
+2 to hit with Combat Advantage, +1 otherwise
+7 to damage with sneak attack, +1 otherwise
1d6 [W] damage, high crit
As a hybrid character, powers that let you do rogue attacks as a minor action are double plus good -- they let you get your sneak attack in and then use a fighter attack (to mark) as well.

A fighter | rogue hybrid is a defender | striker hybrid. If you throw away your defenderness, then there wasn't much point in being a fighter. Dual Strike is a top-notch defender power, because it lets you mark two targets at as an at-will.

You'll want to pick up bracers that give you +2 to melee damage rolls. By switching to a double-sword, you save the cost of a second magic weapon.

Dual Strike then does +2 (enc) +2 (bracers) +4 (feats) = 1d8+14 damage, or 12.5 on average, per target. And marks them.

Your rogue attack does 4d8+13, or 31 on average, on a single target

Jack_Banzai
2009-09-30, 10:49 AM
Bloodclaw and Reckless. But then, that goes for most strikers.

Again. I wouldn't put too much stock in this.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-30, 10:58 AM
Again. I wouldn't put too much stock in this.

And why is that?

Jack_Banzai
2009-09-30, 11:17 AM
And why is that?

Oh, no reason. As written, they're great weapon enhancements and the Double Sword is a solid weapon. Gamebreaking even.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-30, 11:22 AM
Oh, no reason. As written, they're great weapon enhancements and the Double Sword is a solid weapon. Gamebreaking even.
If you're suggesting that they are likely future targets of WOTC's nerfhammer, then I agree with you. The biggest playtesting community, LFR, has just recently hit paragon levels, and it is known that several options are silly overpowered at paragon, and WOTC has promised more frequent "updates" (their term for "errata") in the future.

MustacheFart
2009-10-01, 10:53 PM
The hidden cost of double sword is that you can only use one magic weapon.

The benefit? It is ridiculously good.

A feat rebuild:
As a hybrid character, powers that let you do rogue attacks as a minor action are double plus good -- they let you get your sneak attack in and then use a fighter attack (to mark) as well.

A fighter | rogue hybrid is a defender | striker hybrid. If you throw away your defenderness, then there wasn't much point in being a fighter. Dual Strike is a top-notch defender power, because it lets you mark two targets at as an at-will.

You'll want to pick up bracers that give you +2 to melee damage rolls. By switching to a double-sword, you save the cost of a second magic weapon.

Dual Strike then does +2 (enc) +2 (bracers) +4 (feats) = 1d8+14 damage, or 12.5 on average, per target. And marks them.

Your rogue attack does 4d8+13, or 31 on average, on a single target

I'm totally with you on everything you've said. I have one question that I forgot to ask last time I replied, which just came to mind:

Can I retrain away paragon hybrid? I took paragon hybrid, which gives me the Hybrid Talent feat again for free. That's a free feat though so, I can't really retrain it can I?

EDIT: Also if I am understanding Heavy Blade Opportunity correctly, you could combo that with dual strike very nicely. Like say, you move up, use dual strike, and hit & mark two different enemies. Then on their turns, if they don't attack you, you get 2 free basic melee attacks, 1 on each. You then use Heavy Blade Opportunity to replace said basic melee attacks with At-Will attack powers such as dual strike or possibly a rogue At-Will. Is my thinking correct?

Kurald Galain
2009-10-02, 03:51 AM
Can I retrain away paragon hybrid? I took paragon hybrid, which gives me the Hybrid Talent feat again for free. That's a free feat though so, I can't really retrain it can I?
Technically not.

EDIT: Also if I am understanding Heavy Blade Opportunity correctly, you could combo that with dual strike very nicely.
That is correct. It doesn't appear to combo very well with rogue powers, though.

Yakk
2009-10-02, 12:18 PM
EDIT: Also if I am understanding Heavy Blade Opportunity correctly, you could combo that with dual strike very nicely. Like say, you move up, use dual strike, and hit & mark two different enemies. Then on their turns, if they don't attack you, you get 2 free basic melee attacks, 1 on each. You then use Heavy Blade Opportunity to replace said basic melee attacks with At-Will attack powers such as dual strike or possibly a rogue At-Will. Is my thinking correct?
Combat Challenge attack is not an opportunity attack.

OAs happen when someone makes ranged attack adjacent to you, or uses the move action to leave a square adjacent to you. HBO applies only to OAs.

So you use Dual Strike to mark two opponents, because this turn you are choosing to defend. And maybe you used your minor action as a per-encounter sneak attack (so you already dealt your sneak attack damage).

On their turn they may:
1> Attack you and stay adjacent,
2> Move away (provoke an OA -- which you can replace with any at-will weapon power)
3> Shift away (provoke a Challenge attack -- basic attack -- as an immediate action)
4> Attack someone else (provoke a Challenge attack as an immediate action)
5> Make a ranged attack on you (provoke an OA)

HBO applies only to 2 and 5. In effect, it helps make you sticky.

As a neat effect, if you are adjacent to one opponent, and someone else provokes, you can do a dual strike and attack it and someone else.

Going further down the rabbit hole, if you have a bard in your party who likes sliding you around, there is a feat that gives you OAs when you are slid.

Also note that the hybrid rules, as written, don't let you apply sneak attack or combat challenge to basic attacks. This is a clear bug (and you should ignore it) -- allow yourself to use one, or the other, feature with a basic attack (ie, you have two powers, "Rogue Basic Attack" and "Fighter Basic Attack").