PDA

View Full Version : Good Source for Replicas

KnightDisciple
2009-09-26, 08:00 PM
Hello all. I'm looking to be styling at my local Renaissance Festival, and I'm wanting to acquire a few items for a costume.

The foremost items are a replica flintlock pistol (or pair of pistols), and an accompanying holster for said pistol.

What website resource might you all suggest?

Midnight Son
2009-09-27, 10:21 AM
Check out the "Other Weapons" link (http://www.museumreplicas.com/Default.aspx)

Cruxador
2009-09-27, 01:57 PM
Since this thread is here, there's something I tend to wonder. Why do people want replicas? Wouldn't it be better to just get the real thing?

arguskos
2009-09-27, 01:59 PM
Since this thread is here, there's something I tend to wonder. Why do people want replicas? Wouldn't it be better to just get the real thing?
Price is probably the factor. Replicas are typically cheaper than the real deal, and for those folk who are pretty broke, but still want that sword or flintlock to complete a costume, replicas work well.

KnightDisciple
2009-09-27, 02:00 PM
Price is probably the factor. Replicas are typically cheaper than the real deal, and for those folk who are pretty broke, but still want that sword or flintlock to complete a costume, replicas work well.

That, and the rules at different festivals. Some don't allow true weapons, instead of non-firing replicas.

Cruxador
2009-09-27, 02:08 PM

Hmm. I would always rather take the real thing. Even if it's for primarily aesthetic purposes, a replica rarely can truly mimic the look of the real thing. And a functional gun or blade is something that can actually serve other purposes too, even if it's a gun that's nowhere near the capabilities of modern weapons.

That, and the rules at different festivals. Some don't allow true weapons, instead of non-firing replicas.

I don't really understand why the people putting it on would do that anyway. I mean sure, there's safety concerns, but generally speaking anyone with a real gun will be licensed to have one, and I find it fairly unlikely that people are going to suddenly start shooting kids or anything.
It has the additional detriment of making any shooting-based events impossible. Even a simple target-shoot is off limits that way.
Maybe I'm just being overly American.

KnightDisciple
2009-09-27, 02:11 PM
*Shrugs*
Really, I think safety's the big thing, and I don't blame them. They do serve alcohol there.

As for needing a muzzle-loading flintlock...since you don't really keep them loaded and primed anyways, they're useless in an emergency.

Really, it's also money. 30-60 is one thing; 300-600 is another entirely. *Shrugs*

Anyways.

Midnight Son
2009-09-30, 09:16 AM
I'd get the replica pistol. My 12 gauge is much more functional if I need a firearm. My swords, on the other hand (all from the linked company), are quite functional.

Kcalehc
2009-09-30, 09:28 AM

As an addition to the above mentioned; in some coutries real ones are illegal. So if you want it for a costume a replica is the only option available.