PDA

View Full Version : A dungeon by any other name still crawls?

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-27, 02:38 AM
I GM a Star Wars saga game, and around the time of the end of my first campaign I was starting to get into D&D 4e. And when my players had their final adventure inside a deserted Sith Academy, I could not resist a kinda dungeon crawl (or, at least what I imagined one to be like).

Had random encounters with Sith asassins, a few traps like a trash compactor style crusher, which was at the end of "stone floor" turns to a slide puzzle and a Knights and Knaves logic puzzle which, to my surprise, the players were actually able to get right even when they DID stuff up the one and only question they could ask.

I'll have to do it again, as if was fun but it was just a backdrop for the final boss.

But I am interested if any one has managed to do this. Anyone taken the dungeon out of D&D? How have you adapted it?

bosssmiley
2009-09-27, 01:33 PM
Fading Suns - giant subterranean terraforming engine facility filled with genetic mutants and the living dead. Think Resident Evil, but good (- STARS + Han Solo types, warrior priests, space monkeys, etc). :smallamused:

Haven
2009-09-27, 02:12 PM
We had sort of a dungeon crawl in the PbP Mutants & Masterminds game I'm in, though we proceeded through it in a fairly non-linear fashion (lots of flying in and out, exiting and re-entering).

A space station had been hijacked by a giant monster, who was waiting in a "boss room" at the center of the station.. Nearly everyone aboard was killed and their corpses controlled by these hand-like extensions it made. So we went through the station, killing all the monsters & extensions, finding the survivors, reactivating the security cameras, etc. After that, we noticed that there was an ambush waiting for us at a choke point. So we all flew outside and blew a hole in one of the walls of a room adjoining the one it was waiting in, and bossfightlarity ensued.

Jerthanis
2009-09-27, 02:17 PM
I actually tend to have a pretty wide variety of Dungeon crawls in my Exalted games, which is strange because I haven't run or played a real dungeon crawl in D&D for years.

In Exalted there's so much potential for cool dungeon setups. You could be breaking into a Weather God's sanctum, and have to negotiate semi-solid clouds while fighting birds made entirely out of lightning. There are things called Manses, which are like magic power plants, and almost all of them are booby trapped or protected by bound security demons or automata. In the Wyld, reality is chaos, and the scenery can change from moment to moment.