PDA

View Full Version : New Maneuvers

imp_fireball
2009-09-27, 05:55 AM
Swing of Inertia
Tiger Claw (Strike)
Level: Warblade 2, Swordsage 2
Initiation Action: On Attack (See Description)
Range: See Description
Target: Personal
Duration: See Description
Save: N/A

If you declare a power attack and miss, then you receive a bonus to your jump check for both the next round, and for any actions you perform after you make this strike for the current round, equal to triple your BAB. If you jump immediately after you initiate this maneuver, then you may move up to the distance your jump took you as a free action. This special movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity for out of spaces threatened by the target of your missed attack, but provokes attacks of opportunity for moving out of spaces that other opponents threaten as normal.

Special: If you do not have power attack, you may still take this maneuver, however your jump modifier is instead equivalent to however much you missed the opponent's AC by, instead of triple your BAB.

Plummeting Striker
Tiger Claw (Boost)
Level: Warblade 4, Swordsage 4
Initiation Action: On Jump (see description)
Range: Personal
Target: Personal
Duration: On your Turn
Save: N/A

On a DC 30 jump check, for all intents and purposes, you may treat any movement made during the turn that you initiated this maneuver as if you were charging without the need of actually moving in a straight line. Note however, that you must move at least one space before being considered to have charged.

If you move out of any space threatened by the first target of your charge, you do not provoke attacks of opportunity from that target - but still provoke attacks of opportunity for moving out of spaces threatened by any other creature, as normal.

You may only initiate this maneuver once during a move or standard action.

Special: If you have the leap attack feat, you may apply your current jump modifier as a circumstance bonus to damage - this bonus applies only after damage from the leap attack is ordinarily multiplied.

NOTE: If you do not have the leap attack feat, this attack still counts as a regular charge made without the need of a full action, meaning any other feats that apply on a charge can be applied as normal but are otherwise unaffected by this maneuver.

Serenity
2009-09-27, 07:26 AM
What Martial Discipline does the strike belong to? If all three classes are meant to have access to it, probably Stone Dragon--but it doesn't really fit with the sturdy, earthbound flavor of that one.

Also, having it take a standard action to initiate makes it quite underpowered to my mind--they have to deliberately try to miss to use this. More sensible would be to make it a swift action, so they could activate it when their Power Attack misses.

Eldan
2009-09-27, 07:36 AM
I'd make this a counter, actually, so that you can use it right after you miss. Tiger Claw, perhaps, or Diamond Mind.

imp_fireball
2009-09-27, 01:54 PM
Alright fixed.

Now, will anyone actually use this?

Ziegander
2009-09-27, 02:10 PM
Swing of Inertia
Diamond Mind (Counter)
Level: Warblade 3, Swordsage 2, Crusader 3

Um... the Swordsage gets it as a lower level maneuver how/why?

Initiation Action: Swift
Range: Melee
Target: Individual Creature

Initiation Action: 1 Immediate Action
Range: Personal
Target: Self

If you declare a power attack and miss, then you receive a bonus to your jump check for both the next round and the one that you made your attack equal to however much you missed the attack by.

The effect is a bit lackluster, especially for the maneuver level. Maybe make it a 1st or 2nd level maneuver, and grant a bonus to Jump checks equal to double the penalty you took to your attack via Power Attack. Maybe even triple. Finally, I'd say it's definitely a Tiger Claw maneuver.

Baron Corm
2009-09-27, 02:20 PM
I would agree that it should be Tiger Claw. I also think that it should grant you a jumping move action (with a bonus equal to the amount you missed by) to make it better and fit with the title better.

Godskook
2009-09-27, 02:25 PM
Honestly, it is lackluster not due to the bonus size, but because of the lack of use for the jump bonus. In my experience, making jump checks in combat isn't a big enough issue that its worth spending a maneuver on to get a bonus to it. At L10, most of my checks were ~20 DC, and I had a +21 jump modifier(I also wasn't really bothering to keep my jump check high). This also requires a feat to even function, which is a bad design feature.

Also, if you're keeping it, jump-focused maneuvers should almost all be tiger claw, since if there's a discipline that could benefit from this, tiger claw is it.

imp_fireball
2009-09-27, 03:35 PM
Honestly, it is lackluster not due to the bonus size, but because of the lack of use for the jump bonus. In my experience, making jump checks in combat isn't a big enough issue that its worth spending a maneuver on to get a bonus to it. At L10, most of my checks were ~20 DC, and I had a +21 jump modifier(I also wasn't really bothering to keep my jump check high). This also requires a feat to even function, which is a bad design feature.

Also, if you're keeping it, jump-focused maneuvers should almost all be tiger claw, since if there's a discipline that could benefit from this, tiger claw is it.

Ok, so it's been changed so that if you're a caster/martial adept 3, you can combine this maneuver with your horrible BAB to miss an epic monster's AC by 20 which = +60 to jump checks which = 15 additional vertical feet to leap. And if the movement is an immediate action, then it's a decent method of escape, albeit being used at high levels. The power attack evens things out a bit. Now if only you had a way of willing a critical failure...

Fly away!

Ziegander
2009-09-27, 04:01 PM
Ok, so it's been changed so that if you're a caster/martial adept 3, you can combine this maneuver with your horrible BAB to miss an epic monster's AC by 20 which = +60 to jump checks which = 15 additional vertical feet to leap. And if the movement is an immediate action, then it's a decent method of escape, albeit being used at high levels. The power attack evens things out a bit. Now if only you had a way of willing a critical failure...

Fly away!

1) The range is Personal, not the target. The target is Self. The effect originates with you, not somewhere within your melee reach.

2) Just because the initiation of the maneuver is 1 Immediate Action and the maneuver grants a bonus to Jump checks does not mean that it actually lets you make any movement as an immediate action.

3) What exactly do you really want the maneuver to do? I ask only because you appear to be confused on what the rules allow you to do.

Godskook
2009-09-27, 04:02 PM

Fly away!

So many things wrong with that.

1.Immediate action jumping is going to primarily horizontal, not vertical, but that's just a technicality.

2.Swift action jumping already exists, and is far easier to work with. Its called sudden leap.

3.Again, the magnitude of the bonus isn't the big issue, its the lack of utility.

4.While the idea is amusing, there's little utility to be gained.

5.Casters wouldn't have power attack or a good BAB, making this beyond useless for caster-types.

6.Power attack doesn't 'balance' it, it gimps it. I wouldn't take this maneuver without the feat requirement, and power attack just makes it worse, since many swordsage builds dump strength.

7.Swinging real hard doesn't really make you jump real well. Try it some time with a baseball bat. You'll be sorely disappointed.

Serenity
2009-09-27, 05:09 PM
And yet another minor nitpick: If it's a Tiger Claw or Diamond Mind discipline, Crusaders don't get access to it.

imp_fireball
2009-09-28, 01:37 AM
2) Just because the initiation of the maneuver is 1 Immediate Action and the maneuver grants a bonus to Jump checks does not mean that it actually lets you make any movement as an immediate action.

3) What exactly do you really want the maneuver to do? I ask only because you appear to be confused on what the rules allow you to do.

2) Very well.

3) I know what I want to do. Just joking around.

5.Casters wouldn't have power attack or a good BAB, making this beyond useless for caster-types.

6.Power attack doesn't 'balance' it, it gimps it. I wouldn't take this maneuver without the feat requirement, and power attack just makes it worse, since many swordsage builds dump strength.

5) That's the point. Missing gives you the jump bonus.

6) Unless the swordsage wants to use leap attack, then this maneuver would probably be forgotten too. It might work well with another maneuver I'm going to write (which uses leap attack and focuses on big, wide, superhuman leaps).

imp_fireball
2010-06-22, 08:50 PM
TO MODs: Am I allowed to bump my own thread?

I changed the OP to make it more suitable. Comments?

DragoonWraith
2010-06-22, 08:59 PM
I'm not a mod, but I'm rather sure that bumping for the sake of bumping is never accepted.

Double-posting on an old thread because something new has been added might be acceptable, but I'm not sure.

DracoDei
2010-06-24, 07:39 PM
I'm not a mod, but I'm rather sure that bumping for the sake of bumping is never accepted.

I haven't seen the mods have any problem with it, as long as it isn't past the necromancy limits.

Eldan
2010-06-25, 05:58 AM
However, considering this is from 2009, that's quite a bit past the limit.

imp_fireball
2010-06-25, 08:33 PM
Aren't OPs allowed to necro their own threads?