PDA

View Full Version : D&D group.

Trodon
2009-09-27, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure if this should go in the Roleplaying Games section ir not, but I'm trying to find a RL D&D 3.5 group, Dose anyone have any tips on how to do this?

Jacklu
2009-09-27, 12:48 PM
One way is to check out any gaming clubs that might be at your school. Or possibly hang out at the local gaming store.

Trodon
2009-09-27, 12:50 PM
One way is to check out any gaming clubs that might be at your school. Or possibly hang out at the local gaming store.

Alright I'll try to get to the gamins store more often but being 16 living with my parents and having 1 car kind of make that hard, and I'm home schooled. Thanks for the advice.

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-27, 01:25 PM
when you go to your gaming store, ask if they have or know of any notice boards for people who are looking for groups?

maybe you could get the local small adds etc?

Darth Mario
2009-09-27, 01:43 PM
One option to consider would be hosting your own group, assuming you have a group of friends that would be interested in playing or learning to play. Even if you've never DMed before, you should consider the option. I was homeschooled through middle school and high school and found I never had a shortage of other homeschoolers to play with, assuming I was willing to run the games myself.

Lycan 01
2009-09-27, 02:11 PM
Family members and relatives are a good option, as are friends, friends of friends, and friend's relatives. I mean... My gaming group includes random people like my GF's best friend's fiance, and an old friend's roommate who is now a close friend of mine.

Just asking people you know is always the most basic, blunt, and oddly successful technique...

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-27, 02:22 PM
i've ended up in a great GURPS group run by a guy who i worked with for a couple of months a few years back

if you know anyone who plays, then just ask if they'd mind if you join them

valadil
2009-09-27, 02:52 PM
You mention being home schooled, but that doesn't mean you can't check other schools or even colleges for gaming clubs.

Trodon
2009-09-27, 04:59 PM
One option to consider would be hosting your own group, assuming you have a group of friends that would be interested in playing or learning to play. Even if you've never DMed before, you should consider the option. I was homeschooled through middle school and high school and found I never had a shortage of other homeschoolers to play with, assuming I was willing to run the games myself.

Alright first off, that is an amazing screen name, secondly none of my friends are that into it, the 2 that have books have 3.0 :smallfrown: All of my relatives that aren't my immediate family like in Little Rock Arkansas (I live in Springfield MO).

when you go to your gaming store, ask if they have or know of any notice boards for people who are looking for groups?

maybe you could get the local small adds etc?

Yeah I'll go when I can, I should check the adds.

Thank you everyone that has helped me so far, it will come in handy.

Egiam
2009-09-27, 05:02 PM
I don't know if there is a local homeschooling organization/community where you live, but that is how I found some of my players.

Mr. Mud
2009-09-27, 05:03 PM
I use Craigslist (http://www.craigslist.org/) to find people for some of my groups. Dunno how it'd work the other way around, though. Give it a shot :smallbiggrin:. But make sure you're looking the specific area's gaming section though. Not the entirety of Craigslist.

Trodon
2009-09-27, 05:08 PM
I don't know if there is a local homeschooling organization/community where you live, but that is how I found some of my players.

Yeah That's how I found my last "gaming group" We never made it past level 1, kept making a new character every session.

I use Craigslist (http://www.craigslist.org/) to find people for some of my groups. Dunno how it'd work the other way around, though. Give it a shot :smallbiggrin:. But make sure you're looking the specific area's gaming section though. Not the entirety of Craigslist.

Thanks but I just searched is and only found this (http://springfield.craigslist.org/grp/1385718489.html) It's perfect except for the "Ages 18-30" thing (2 YEARS OFF!!! :smallfurious:)

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-27, 05:23 PM
Thanks but I just searched is and only found this (http://springfield.craigslist.org/grp/1385718489.html) It's perfect except for the "Ages 18-30" thing (2 YEARS OF!!! :smallfurious:)

nothing wrong with dropping them a mail and seeing what they say - they may be open to the idea of a younger person playing

Trodon
2009-09-27, 05:26 PM
nothing wrong with dropping them a mail and seeing what they say - they may be open to the idea of a younger person playing

Yeah I was thinking that, I'll see if my mom will let me.She is a little paranoid about me playing D&D with people that she hasn't met, which is understandable.

Cruxador
2009-09-27, 05:32 PM

The problem is, if they want people to be at leas 18, they may be planning on dealing with more mature issues. While a younger kid might sometimes be just fine with this, that's often not the case, and it would be even worse with a home-schooled kid.

Trodon
2009-09-27, 05:38 PM
The problem is, if they want people to be at leas 18, they may be planning on dealing with more mature issues. While a younger kid might sometimes be just fine with this, that's often not the case, and it would be even worse with a home-schooled kid.

Well I have played with guys 28-30 something year old before, and I'm fine with the more mature subjects, but it dose depend on how comfortable they are with it. And what to do you mean by "and it would be even worse with a home-schooled kid." :smallconfused:

Cruxador
2009-09-27, 05:47 PM
"and it would be even worse with a home-schooled kid." :smallconfused:

I guess you haven't noticed. Home school kids have some pretty different views on stuff than other people. Especially stuff that's generation dependent, or that parents aren't comfortable talking about. Your fundamental understanding of the world is slightly different.

Often times, that's the primary point of home schooling in the first place.

Trodon
2009-09-27, 05:50 PM
I guess you haven't noticed. Home school kids have some pretty different views on stuff than other people. Especially stuff that's generation dependent, or that parents aren't comfortable talking about. Your fundamental understanding of the world is slightly different.

Often times, that's the primary point of home schooling in the first place.

Well, that's true but there isn't much that my parents aren't comfortable talking about.

Cruxador
2009-09-27, 10:19 PM
Well, that's true but there isn't much that my parents aren't comfortable talking about.

Even so, you're discussing it in a different setting than most people do, so you're forming different connections. Normally this isn't a huge deal, some people might notice something a bit off, but folks will get around it just fine. But with sensitive topics, a different mindset can lead you to behave in a manner that pushes people out of their comfort zones without realizing it. It's not necessarily an issue, but it's much more likely to become one than with a kid who's not home-schooled.
Just some food for thought. I run into a fair few home school kids who have trouble coping when they get into real life.

Trodon
2009-09-28, 03:53 PM
Alright I may have found a group thank you everyone for the help have a wonderful day.

azuredragonz
2009-09-29, 08:23 PM
im trying to write a campain but i tottaly suck at it .
now as a last resort im using the idea that xyclon from order of the stick ecaped and you have to catch him and bring him back to oots.
is xyclon copywrited?

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-29, 09:26 PM
im trying to write a campain but i tottaly suck at it .
now as a last resort im using the idea that xyclon from order of the stick ecaped and you have to catch him and bring him back to oots.
is xyclon copywrited?

you can use him if you're not going to sell the campaign as a commercial product/gain fanancially from it

ask on the board/site issues section of the board how they deal with intellectual property rights though