PDA

View Full Version : point buying?

Eon
2009-09-27, 12:40 PM
how does the point buy system work? i have been wondering for awhile...:smalleek:

Ernir
2009-09-27, 12:42 PM
What game and edition?

Morty
2009-09-27, 12:43 PM
You have points. You use them to buy stats. The cost increases with the stat's value, so it costs more points to raise a stat from 13 to 14 than from 8 to 9. I assume you're talking about D&D here.

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-27, 12:44 PM
You have points. You use them to buy stats. The cost increases with the stat's value, so it costs more points to raise a stat from 13 to 14 than from 8 to 9. I assume you're talking about D&D here.

If you're talking about D&D there, then that example is incorrect. It only starts to cost more when you go over 14, e.g. 14 to 15 costs 2 points.

Elfin
2009-09-27, 12:44 PM
Check the DMG, first page of Chapter 6.
Basically, players are assigned a number of points to generate their abilities; they use these points to purchase scores from 8-18 (each of which has a certain value, ranging from 0 points to 16). Standard point-buy values are around 30.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-27, 12:45 PM
...you give money to your DM to buy points for your character. The commonly accepted value is about two or three dollars per point...

Mongoose87
2009-09-27, 12:47 PM
...you give money to your DM to buy points for your character. The commonly accepted value is about two or three dollars per point...

However, a cool $100 will generally get you all 18s, if you keep it quiet.

Milskidasith
2009-09-27, 12:47 PM

Wrong; 8 to 9 is the same as 13 to 14.

See here for a way to do it: http://www.hackslash.net/?p=73

Morty
2009-09-27, 12:52 PM
Yeah, right. But the principle is correct.

Starscream
2009-09-27, 01:43 PM

A pizza works just as well with many DMs.

Random832
2009-09-27, 02:09 PM
Check the DMG, first page of Chapter 6.
Basically, players are assigned a number of points to generate their abilities; they use these points to purchase scores from 8-18 (each of which has a certain value, ranging from 0 points to 16). Standard point-buy values are around 30.

For the record...

The average point buy result for the standard (4d6 best 3) is 28.5

For comparison, 3d6 gives an average of 16.

This is if results lower than 8 (not possible with Point Buy) are assigned negative point values. If they are instead rejected, the numbers are 30.9 and 21.6 respectively.

For more comparison, if each stat is the best of 2x3d6 (Method II/IV from 2nd edition, though in that case you're technically allowed to choose the lower result if you want it), the average is 27.2 (with no significant impact from keeping or rejecting results lower than 8).

Pramxnim
2009-09-27, 02:25 PM
You guys are all referring to D&D 3.5's point buy system, in which it works as described above.

4th edition carries a few differences, wherein it's almost always more efficient to buy high values in a few key stats than to spread out your points and have many 14s. Plus it's easier to get 18s in a stat.
Morty is correct in his assumption that to buy a stat from 13 to 14 costs more than to do the same from 8 to 9, but ONLY in 4th edition.

Mutants and Masterminds also has a different point buy system, where it's extremely easy to do. It's done on a 1 to 1 basis, and you can't really go wrong there ^^

Eon
2009-09-27, 02:30 PM
okay. thanks. i play 4th edition... probably should have said it earlier...

DueceEsMachine
2009-09-27, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Mongoose87

Starscream
A pizza works just as well with many DMs.

Another option is to be married to the DM, but you have to be careful. If you mess up their game then you're Really in trouble. But yeah, basic point buy for D&D has been covered, if you're playing anything like Shadowrun 3rd or 4th, then it's entirely different, but hey, so is the whole game.... so yeah.

Tyndmyr
2009-09-27, 02:39 PM
To avoid the appearance of being partisan(we know you are, but shhh), offer to buy the pizza if the entire party gets a somewhat higher point buy. That way, if the party finds out, you're the hero.

There are nearly as many point buy and point roll systems as there are players, probably, but I believe the standard point buy is as follows:
1point: +1 to any stat up to 14.
2points: +1 to any stat up to 16
3points: +1 to any stat up to 18.

Spend yer points till you run out, then apply racial modifiers afterward.

My personal favorite roll method is as follows: Roll 4d6, rerolling any 1s. Drop the lowest. It gives a possibility for sub-8 scores, but overall, it gives pretty healthy numbers.
Point buy is generally more fair than rolling, though. A few people combine the two, with rolls determining the scores, and a few points to sprinkle on the top. Whatever works for you, honestly.

taltamir
2009-09-27, 03:32 PM
To avoid the appearance of being partisan(we know you are, but shhh), offer to buy the pizza if the entire party gets a somewhat higher point buy. That way, if the party finds out, you're the hero.

There are nearly as many point buy and point roll systems as there are players, probably, but I believe the standard point buy is as follows:
1point: +1 to any stat up to 14.
2points: +1 to any stat up to 16
3points: +1 to any stat up to 18.

its easier to explain the reasoning instead of just giving a chart.
For 3.5e it is: Increasing an attribute by 1 costs the current modifier for that attribute, or 1 point, whichever is higher.

So at 8 and 9 you have a -1. So it costs 1 point. to increase it by 1
at 10 and 11 you have a 0. So it costs 1 point to increase it by 1
at 12 and 13 you have a +1, so it costs 1 point to increase it by 1
at 14 and 15 you have a +2, so it costs 2 points to increase it by 1
at 16 and 17 you have a +3, so it costs 3 points to increase it by 1

just an FYI, those numbers are what your current stat are.... so going from 14 to 15, and 15 to 16, both cost 2 points each.

As for 4e, read your PHB

Tyndmyr
2009-09-27, 04:13 PM
Oh, just realized I'd left something assumed. Typically, the maximum you can every have pre-racial modifier is 18. That's probably the least modified rule of all regarding play stats.

deuxhero
2009-09-27, 04:18 PM
If you can't be bothered to remember it (I know I can't, not that well anyways), there are a few calculators if you google search "Point buy calculator".

Starbuck_II
2009-09-27, 04:49 PM
Another option is to be married to the DM, but you have to be careful. If you mess up their game then you're Really in trouble. But yeah, basic point buy for D&D has been covered, if you're playing anything like Shadowrun 3rd or 4th, then it's entirely different, but hey, so is the whole game.... so yeah.

Wait, when divorcing the DM, do you get to get 1/2 their points (like how one gets 1/2 their money)?

sofawall
2009-09-27, 06:08 PM
its easier to explain the reasoning instead of just giving a chart.

I just memorized the chart. *shrug* If you could go above 18, it'd be handier (formulas really help when the range gets bigger) but it's not too bad as is.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-04, 06:36 PM
I'm going to be in a campaign where the method for generating stats is point buy. However I've never used point buy. The DM has made it 30 point buy but I don't know what the point buy system is in 3.5 and it's not in my PHB. Can somebody help?

Dumbledore lives
2009-10-04, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure about the exact number but the first result on google was this (http://www.hackslash.net/?p=73) which seems like it could help.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-10-04, 06:39 PM
It's in the DMG at the beginning of the "Characters" chapter IIRC. Alternatively, you could just Google "D&D point buy calculator".

Curmudgeon
2009-10-04, 06:57 PM
It's in the DMG at the beginning of the "Characters" chapter IIRC. Alternatively, you could just Google "D&D point buy calculator".
That'll probably be misleading. The DMG point buy system on page 169 has no provision for reducing stats below 8 (and thereby getting more points to spend), but all the online calculators I've seen do. Obviously min-maxers like the calculators better than the official rules.