PDA

View Full Version : Morgrave's Shadow

Admiral Squish
2009-09-27, 12:45 PM
As you push through the massive gates of Morgrave’s front entrance, the first thing that strikes you is the sound. Dozens of hopefuls mill about in the huge room, chattering to each other, the echo of the room making the whole place reverberate with the sound of voices. The clatter of armor and the sound of boots on stone, the clear, sharp sound of weapons being sharpened and inspected complementing the chatter and raising quite the ungodly din in the huge room.

The room itself is richly decorated, with huge, sprawling carvings on almost every surface. On one wall, an arcanist flings powerful, arcane magic at an ancient dragon. Another, sprawling vines choke an entrance as a band of relic hunters seek entrance to some long-forgotten tomb. A third bears a scene of a student hunkered down, a wide array of arcane implements at his fingertips as he inspects some manner of artifact. On the ceiling, there’s a squared-off spiral from the center framed with a molding of raised stone, filled with a long string of text in draconic, the school’s motto, if the plaque near the door it to be believed.

As the hopeful applicants milled and chattered, the in was tremendous. But suddenly, a single, sharp tap, like metal on stone cut through the roar, and the hopefuls fell silent. Another tap, and all the head turned to view as a redheaded dwarf woman strode from the faculty office and towards the raised platform on the far wall from the door. She was clad in simple white robes with black accents. Her hair was braided and pulled up into a tight bun atop her head, and a circlet of woven silver rested on her brow. The tap sounded again, and it was collectively realized the assembled that it was something to do with her footwear. As she ascended the steps, you see how, as glimpses of steel-shod boots are visible under the hem of her robes.

She strode confidently across the stage and surveyed the crowd as she stepped behind the podium, which sank automatically to adjust to her height. She cast one more glance before she began to speak. “Good morning, hopefuls.” She began. “You all know why you’re here. You all seek to join the newly-formed acquisitions department of Morgrave University. And the smart ones among you know not all of you will be accepted. So, before we go any further in the process, we have a mission for you all, a test to ensure you all have what it takes to be faculty here at the prestigious Morgrave University.” She redhead said with a sly smirk.

“The city sewers are a dangerous place, but nothing compared to what you will face if accepted to the department. And so, twelve warforged staff members are milling about below the city. They’ve been instructed to avoid contact with anyone wandering the sewers, and if they are cornered, to activate these.” She mentioned, holding up a golden disk the size of an orange with six wings forged of the finest gold filigree. “These are your objective. They’re small, they’re fast, they fly, and their only purpose in existence is to return to me as fast as possible. If it reaches me of it‘s own power, you’ve failed. Bring me one of these in the next 24 hours, and you will be recognized as a Morgrave staff member. I don’t care how it gets here, as long as it’s intact when you get it here, and in your possession.” The dwarf woman explained. “The test begins at high noon. I’ll be answering your questions until then.” She added, a wicked gleam in her eye, her voice still deceptively cheerful. The massive magical clock behind her was gesturing the time, only ten minutes to noon.

dentrag2
2009-09-27, 05:51 PM
The two men standing there, somewhat relaxed, with an attiude as if they knew what they were doing, were putting on a rather convincing act. They were closely paying attention to every word, and the shorter one was worrying about how to catch one of these miraculous golden discs. Calabog and Ellesendra (If that's how you spell it) were standing behind them, the lizardman wrapped tightly in a cloak, the Litoran being a bit more obvious about her bestial heritage.

The man in the silvered breastplate turned slowly to the taller man in black armor, glasses glinting in the light. "How do you think we should do this, Dentrag? I'm wracking my brains, but your input, and alternate point of view, may actually be helpful on this."

Dentrag chuckled, blackened armor shaking slightly, hand just on the pommel of the enourmous sword he carried, fingers running along the dragon's teeth that were engraved into the steel. "You've got a plan already, Ixpath. In any case, we take the first Warforged we find, smash him into the walls a few times, and have Calabog grab the disc when he tries to release it. Alternatively, we could have Elle use that magical wall of wind she used on the Orcs, do you remember? It would be hard to fly off in that."

Ixpath covered his mouth by placing his hand over it, mumbling to himself, for about a minute. "Mm, yes, those do seem like good ideas. Of course, we'll have to see what Calabog comes up with. He never fails to amaze me with that astounding ingenuity. In any case, i'm pretty sure that they wouldn't want us to 'Kill' one of their Warforged, since they do cost a significant sum, the enslaved ones. Anyway, i'm going to ask the tester about that."

With that note, Ixpath picked up the shield he had set down on the ground, and walked up to the Tester.
"Pardon me, good dwarf, but would we be allowed to... Disable the Warforged that are carrying these discs? I ask merely because if we are, things would be a lot... Simpler. Is there a problem with that?"

He bowed slightly, and crossed the claws that he wore on his hands, a mark of respect among his people.

((How's that? Is that okay?))

Admiral Squish
2009-09-27, 09:08 PM
The dwarf woman smirked. "That's perfectly legal... If you can pull it off. These aren't just any warforged. They're professors here. I'm frankly more concerned that some of you are going to get injured. They've been instructed to avoid combat directly, but they've been in the tunnels for a few hours now. I wouldn't be surprised if they've set up some pretty devious pitfalls for you. lot." She replied, her steel-gray eyes immediately returning to scanning the room.

dentrag2
2009-09-27, 10:42 PM
((Probably shouldn't have put a period after You, but i digress.)

"Thank you, Good dwarf." Ixpath bowed once more, backed away five feet, turned around sharply, and strode towards Dentrag. "Guess your plan is go.
She says we're free to maim or disable the Warforged, IF we can pull it off. And unless Calabog has a better plan, your way seems better. I'll get ready to do battle, if we need to." On this note, Ixpath pulled out a small sharpening stone and started, well, sharpening his claws.

"Excellent. I've always liked my way better. Seven minutes to go, and nothing to do but wait..." Dentrag started pacing in a small oval, occasionally glancing at the clock and muttering under his breath, something about murder and hundreds of ways to kill people. Not a exceedingly good topic.

((Not my best post, but i'm waiting on Sorrowful.))

SorrowfulDragon
2009-09-28, 08:24 PM
((Terribly sorry I'm late. If my first post isn't very good forgive me. I'm also not used to controlling two characters...))

Under his cloak, Calabog shook with the ecstasy of greed. With eyes burning with lust and sharp with intelligence he quickly tallied the value of everything hung, displayed and arranged, even what was worn by other contenders. He liked to keep his options...open.

His musings did not miss the eyes of Eldress. The frustrated kink of her brow would have been missed by all but those deeply familiar with the Letoran race. Her proud and frustrated stance was a bit more obvious.

"Once we get in can we...take it?" Calabog whispered to his wife, his voice raspy with hope.

"No." Came the blunt reply. Crestfallen and frustrated, Calabog turned his mind to what he did best; scheme. It didn't take long before the light of greed was rekindled in his eyes. Quietly he slunk to the center of the crowd, it wasn't easy going, he was jostled and nearly stepped on many times. Finally he found the kind of spot he was looking for, a nice thick throng of people near the middle of the crowd. Relying of the animosity of the crowd to hide his small form, he shouted his question.

"Are we allowed to kill other contestants?"

Admiral Squish
2009-09-28, 10:05 PM
The dwarf woman sighed and rubbed the bridge of her nose, leaning onto the podium. "How simple do I have to make this? Come back with the disks. That's it. Everything else is secondary. Theoretically, if we did discover you were to have killed a fellow contestant in this competition, then we would have no option but to report you to the city guards. However, the sewers are full of dangers of all sorts. It would hardly be unthinkable of for someone to go missing." The professor explained, anxiously tapping one steel boot on the stage where her podium stood.

SorrowfulDragon
2009-10-05, 08:53 AM
Calabog smirked and moved back to the group, weaving his way through the crowds. Eldress glared at him as he came.

"What was the point of the unnecessary sneaking?" She growled into his ear.

Calabog shrugged, a knowing smile on his face. "If she were to say no, then I would have been the main suspect for any...accidents that would occur."

Calabog turned to address Ixpath and Dentrag, his hands articulating his plans as he spoke. "So...My plan is we wait until some meathead takes the disk, then ambush them. We get the disc, they get an early grave, and I get any valuables they've got. Any questions?"

Admiral Squish
2009-10-05, 04:18 PM
The dawrfess glanced up at the big clock above her, expectantly. the second hand swept lazily to that turning point in all these lives, high noon. She smiled, a cruel, unpleasant smile. "Alright, ladies and gentlemen. If that's all the questions then it's about time i let you go. Three..." Every body in the room began jostling for position near the door. "Two..." The press was tight and hard, the strongest and largest making the front easier. "One! Happy hunting!" Everyone in the room waited with baited breath. The bell tolled, a deep, ominous sound. Before the first sound was done, the doors had opened, and the crowd poured through like a tidal wave, whooping, leaping, and charging, all eager to be on the hunt.

The front lawn is a single long cobblestone path, leading off into the city. A ring of cobblestone surrounds the tower. On each cardinal face of the building, there's a similar path, and about fourty feet from the door, a square, steel patch, inconspicuous as you walked in, and suddenly very important. A sewer opening. The majority of the crowd roared straight for that one, pushing and shoving as they tried to get down the narrow hole one at a time. Others went further out into the city, seeking alternate ways into the tunnels, that weren't quite so crowded.

dentrag2
2009-10-05, 07:47 PM
"Mmm, Yes, yes i do, Calabog. First of all, isn't standard procedure to SPLIT the loot, not just have one member take it all? Did Eldress even pray for spells that would help us set up traps? What if nobody gets a disc, or the people with the discs overpower us? What about the other people who have similar ideas? I would suggest we tail one of the warforged, and eventually mug him/her/it if nobody comes. I'm not a thaumaturge, I'm just a dragon-spirit."

Looking slightly annoyed, Ixpath tapped his left foot as he said this. The claws rattled against the armor, playing it like a drum. He turned to Dentrag after having finished speaking, and made some strange gesture. Dentrag nodded, pushing into the crowd.

"Talk later. We'll get to the sewers first."

dentrag2
2009-10-05, 07:50 PM
Rolling.
[roll0]

(So i guess that's partial save?))