PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft 3 Battle Chest or Starcraft Batlle Chest

Gourtox
2009-09-27, 05:30 PM
I've never played either of them, but I'm thinking about getting one. i don't know which one to get though. What's your guy's thoughts.

Winthur
2009-09-27, 05:49 PM
StarCraft. It's a classic game, it still is really fresh and entertaining, and you can play it on virtually anything (unlike my computer which stinks at WarCraft), plus you can play through the amazing storyline while waiting for StarCraft 2. While WarCraft 3 is a good game as well, I'm just more of a StarCraft fan, so my opinion here is biased.

But to help you choose a little: WarCraft 3 is more about small-sized battles with highly specialized units, whereas StarCraft battles are usually seen with hordes of units. StarCraft is more balanced for competitive play. The storyline in WarCraft 3 is in a lot ways a copy of StarCraft storyline. StarCraft is in space while WarCraft 3 is a fantasy world... OK, I'm running out of comparisons.

No matter whichever you choose, though, there are four lights! two Giant in the Playground nutjob facilities where Angry Frenchmen Poreans some really great people do battle have a ton of fun.
WarCraft 3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110841) and StarCraft (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101411) (check here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0) too) threads, respectively. Just don't mind my bad jokes. :smalltongue:

Istari
2009-09-27, 05:58 PM
I recommend warcraft because its custom maps are just unbelievable, and there's a huge online community still active

The Dark Fiddler
2009-09-27, 05:59 PM
I recommend warcraft because its custom maps are just unbelievable, and there's a huge online community still active

Are you sure you didn't mean StarCraft?

Because you know, that also applies to StarCraft.

The Orange Zergling
2009-09-27, 06:04 PM

Though Warcraft 3's custom maps are far more advanced in just about every area imaginable, in terms of both design and technology. Some of the most simple Warcraft 3 custom maps use things that no Starcraft modder could ever dream of.

It's a tough call but ultimately I'd have to say Warcraft 3 in the end; a very good campaign, very good multiplayer and an utterly fantastic map editor (and subsequently custom maps). But if you can, I would get both because they both really are top-notch games.

Winthur
2009-09-27, 06:05 PM
Nah, not quite. While the community is definitely huge - and I believe bigger than WC3 one (or maybe it's because SC community is more concentrated, like on GosuGamers and TeamLiquid) - the custom maps aren't the strength of StarCraft. Sure, there are a lot of good maps, like Defenses or Team Micro Melee, and Micro Tournaments, but still, if you want to play Custom Maps, I'd go WarCraft 3.

It's a tough call but ultimately I'd have to say Warcraft 3 in the end; a very good campaign, very good multiplayer

You're speaking as if SC doesn't have those qualities as well. :smalltongue: But yeah, map editing in SC is kinda primitive, even with all the StarDrafts and other programs that allow you some cute stuff.

The Orange Zergling
2009-09-27, 06:12 PM
You're speaking as if SC doesn't have those qualities as well. :smalltongue:

Well, that's not what I was implying or what I was thinking. :smallwink: There's no doubt it has good single and multiplayer as well, I just think that the extra mileage from WC3's custom maps is enough to warrant a purchase by itself, let alone all of the fun extras like a campaign and multiplayer. :smalltongue:

Oslecamo
2009-09-27, 06:16 PM

Cough dota cough.

Altough Starcraft indeed has a great custom map creator, the warcraft one is just more advanced.

I would even go as far as saying that while Starcraft is still played because of the incredibly deep and balanced basic game, Warcraft III is still played because of the wicked cool custom maps people can make for it.

AgentPaper
2009-09-27, 06:21 PM
Warcraft, because SC2 is coming out soon anyways, and the SC1 online scene is probably going to be rather...empty when it does. (There's not even any reason to stay for liking SC1 normal games more, because it won't be two weeks before someone makes a total conversion version of it for SC2 with better graphics)

Holding out for SC2 is also a good option, if you're willing to wait half a year or so. :smalltongue:

Winterwind
2009-09-28, 07:07 AM
I've never played either of them, but I'm thinking about getting one. i don't know which one to get though. What's your guy's thoughts.I think it depends on how you want to play. In my opinion:

If you intend to play singleplayer only, it doesn't really matter. Both have great campaigns with a great story.

If you intend to play multiplayer too, but are not of a very competitive or "likes to master the game" mindset, or think you'd enjoy a huge variety of simple games of many different types more than a tremendously complex strategy game, go for WarCraft.

If you are of a competitive mindset, like tremendously complex strategy games and/or enjoy mastering them, it depends on the exact type of strategy game you like more. If you enjoy a more tactic-based game, with small amounts of units, where every single unit counts and must be preserved, with a huge focus on micro, go for WarCraft yet again. If you prefer a more large-scale battle, with many dozens or maybe even hundreds of units, where you gladly sacrifice a dozen to achieve some strategic goal, and a bigger focus on strategy rather than tactics, with more emphasis on securing resources and out-thinking, rather than just out-maneuvering the opponent, go for StarCraft.

Personally? I'd get both. :smalltongue: