PDA

View Full Version : The philosophies of Power (Collaboration)

Battlechemist
2009-09-27, 05:47 PM
I got a bit of inspiration lately. i thought to run a collaboration with the posters her at GitP, to create 6 new classes with 6 different magic systems, each of which is based on one of the 6 stats. However I am not sure if i would be recieving assistance on this project. so what do you think? should we proceed?

DracoDei
2009-09-27, 09:42 PM
I would start with the physical ones... enough that use the mental ones already.

I recall one Dex based caster around here, and none for Strength or Constitution.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-27, 09:46 PM
A Constitution-based one I'd imagine might involve potentially draining one's own life force to cast spells. Overexerting is possible to achieve awesome spellpower, but if can also mess you up for a while. I can see this as being particularly suitable for necromancy and transmutation spells, personally. That could be interesting to work on. I'd be up for it.

u-gotNOgame
2009-09-27, 09:47 PM
Zeta's Biomage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2487790#post2487790) is kindof a Con based caster, at least, it's as close as I've ever seen to one. Its also has the advantage of being epic.

-UGNG

MammonAzrael
2009-09-27, 09:58 PM
One of my classes, The Magus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91510), is Con focused, though it also uses Wis and Int.

As for Str...I don't think you're looking for Charles Atlas Superpowers (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CharlesAtlasSuperpower). Though that's the only way I can think of Str-based casting atm. Maybe if you're strong enough you can punch physics in the "face" and do whatever you want while it's recovering?

If it had its own spell like, I would think it would focus primarily on touch spells and buffs.

Milskidasith
2009-09-27, 10:00 PM
The guy punches reality so hard it bends to his will? It would probably be specialized, full BAB, Unarmed damage as the monk, and able to deliver touch spells while dealing unarmed damage, without taking AoOs. Seems like a neat concept, but I'm not a good writer for the crunch.

Jallorn
2009-09-27, 10:01 PM
I don't know how Str or Dex would work (Str especially difficult to come up with ideas for), but I would think Con as some sort of using ones own life force to enact stuff. I would think a pool of some kind like psionics use. Once the pool is used up though, I think thee caster would still be able to cast by sacrificing hit points. Probably high hit points for a caster (d6 or d8) with a poor BAB and only a good Fort save. Mostly evocation and transmutation spells, maybe a few mind affecting spells.

Temet Nosce
2009-09-27, 10:12 PM
Interesting... I like this idea, so I'll toss out a few random ones of my own.

Possibly for Strength some kind of class that relies on applying physical force of some kind of physical focus that gradually builds it up, and permits them to release it as magic? Focus on catastrophic releases of power at one time?

For Dexterity, tattoos that capture excess energy from motion? Possibly with a focus on gradually increasing self buffs as the tattoos build more power?

Con I'd go with the Bloodmage style idea, hurting oneself for magic isn't a new idea and receives regrettably little representation in D&D.

Int, maybe something to do with loopholes in D&Ds physical laws?

Cha I'd like to see something that made use of persuasion or simple projection of their own certainty maybe...

Wis, maybe emphasize intuition. Something to do with subconsciously knowing when things would work in your favor, and ending up in the right place at the right time for it.

Lappy9000
2009-09-27, 10:15 PM
For Dexterity, tattoos that capture excess energy from motion? Possibly with a focus on gradually increasing self buffs as the tattoos build more power?Weird Idea: How about making the Dexterity build focused on producing specific waves that can be used to manifest beneficial or destructive effects? You know, resonating subtle (or not so subtle) movements of the body which are amplified on an extreme scale.

Temet Nosce
2009-09-27, 10:26 PM
Weird Idea: How about making the Dexterity build focused on producing specific waves that can be used to manifest beneficial or destructive effects? You know, resonating subtle (or not so subtle) movements of the body which are amplified on an extreme scale.

Hmm... I rather like this idea as well, we could base the class around the storage, manipulation, alteration, and amplification of movement, turning it into a living generator/battery capable of either exerting energy upon other objects, or improving itself.

I have a picture in my head of a barely audible noise bringing down the walls of a castle. This could definitely work.

I'm unsure how this would work mechanically though. Maybe a buildup throughout the day (which increases in speed whenever serious exertion occurs) and gradually dissipates when not moving or when expended. Could be interesting to have a caster which was potentially most powerful at the end of the day.

dentrag2
2009-09-27, 10:45 PM
Zeta Kai has already done a con based caster, the Biomage. Limited days to live, expending those days to cast spells. Fun.

EDIT: That's what i get for not reading the previous posts. Ninja-d!

Dixieboy
2009-09-27, 10:53 PM
I just wanted to bump in and say that 3.5 has a feat that allows spellcasters to use any stat they want for casting.

That's right, strength based wizards.

Anyway, while I can see the idea working pretty well all the mental stats, as well as dex and con.

I don't see how strength can become anything more than a glorfied wrestler. (Unless his shtick is beating reality until it does as he tells it)

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-27, 11:09 PM
I just wanted to bump in and say that 3.5 has a feat that allows spellcasters to use any stat they want for casting.

What feat would that be? I know of several ways to switch the stat you cast from, but none of them are just a single feat.

Dixieboy
2009-09-27, 11:15 PM
What feat would that be? I know of several ways to switch the stat you cast from, but none of them are just a single feat.

It requires you to be half breed, it's called something like "Forgotten tradition", thinking about it, it's actually 3.0.

I believe it's in a book called "Bastards & bloodlines", though I'm not 100% sure.

Battlechemist
2009-09-28, 11:30 AM
It's good to see i have some interest piqued. These were my original ideas for the 6 classes.

Str:
I was thinking warriors, who by pure strength and training, manage to transfer the essence of reality from one place to another. This could be as simple as ripping out the logic of the universe and use it as an int buff, or it could be something like taking the hardness of an object, and using it to give yourself damage reduction.

Dex:
I was thinking of people connected to unreality who are born with all knowledge of how to use their magic. however they use very complex somatic gestures, and as such need to practice before thier hands can do the more complex gestures, until then they need to simplify the spells.

Con:
I imagined a group that trained to control the natural energy that flows through their bodies. they have a small pool that recharges if left alone long enough, but if needed, they can cannibalize their health for power.

Int:
Using a ritual, these caster turn their body into a living alchemical lab. they absorb alchmical liquids to later mix into attacks, for example, mixing and creating water to shoot through their pores at high pressure. thier only limits is that each formula costs gold, and they can only store so much gp worth of chemicals at a time.

Wis:
i'm currently thinking of a group of philosophers, who gain power through their philosophies. for example, a philosophy promoting healing would give you lay on hands.

Cha:
without the gifts of other styles, these men and women make deals with powerful beings. when making a kill, they gather whats left of their opponents life force. they can use it as a "Gift" to "Persuade" their patron for gifts of their own. in exchange the life force remmnants empower their patron.

these were of course only ideas, and may change as time goes on. remember that i can't make 6 whole new magic sytems on my own, so if anyone has an idea feel free to discuss.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-28, 01:06 PM
It requires you to be half breed, it's called something like "Forgotten tradition", thinking about it, it's actually 3.0.

I believe it's in a book called "Bastards & bloodlines", though I'm not 100% sure.

Ah, third-party book. That would explain it.

Temet Nosce
2009-09-28, 01:06 PM
Cha:
without the gifts of other styles, these men and women make deals with powerful beings. when making a kill, they gather whats left of their opponents life force. they can use it as a "Gift" to "Persuade" their patron for gifts of their own. in exchange the life force remmnants empower their patron..

I like the idea of this one, but I think it might be more appropriate for Strength. The entire "Souls for lord Arioch" Elric style. Maybe make it have a weapon as a focus that eats enemies souls as you kill them... Heh.

Charisma I think should rely more on actual persuasion, though I'm not sure how.

Battlechemist
2009-09-28, 02:01 PM
I like the idea of this one, but I think it might be more appropriate for Strength. The entire "Souls for lord Arioch" Elric style. Maybe make it have a weapon as a focus that eats enemies souls as you kill them... Heh.

Charisma I think should rely more on actual persuasion, though I'm not sure how.

well it is supposed to be a collaboration. so in other words I may take your idea to heart. but i also have no idea on how the persuasion would work. if anyone has some ideas i would like to hear them.

Temet Nosce
2009-09-28, 02:09 PM
well it is supposed to be a collaboration. so in other words I may take your idea to heart. but i also have no idea on how the persuasion would work. if anyone has some ideas i would like to hear them.

Well, this is just off the top of my head, but take a page from Nobilis and say everything has spirit/sentience and that the Charisma casters can perceive and interact with these by attempting to convince them to help them or enslaving them?

Battlechemist
2009-09-29, 02:34 PM
i decided to show the idea behind the new magic systems. by the way i decided to take take Temet Nosce's advice to change the soul sucking thing to str. these may change with time.

str:
As you kill a target, you can take a bit of time to suck out their soul. Each spell costs a certain amount of souls.

dex:
As a standard action you can cast any of the spells you know freely. you only get a few weak spells, but as you level you can apply metamagic.

con:
you have your spells, and each one costs some energy from a pool, that while small, regenerates if you leave it alone for a while. Alternately, you can cast from hitpoints.

int:
at any time in the day you can spend some time to absorb any amount of gp worth of alchemical components, within limits. as you level you gain formulas, which you can spend the gp worth of components to use.

Wis:
pretty much what i said earlier. you get philosophical domains which give you powers. healing gives you lay on hands, water gives you water breathing and a swim speed,etc.

Cha:
so far, i have little in the way of ideas, however this could be that you weaken an opponent, then enslave their souls to gain a minion, which you can then give power to.

Eldan
2009-09-29, 02:39 PM
I imagine that a dextrous caster performing his magic looks like a mixture of dancer, martial artist and conductor: performing incredibly complicated and graceful gestures.

at any time in the day you can spend some time to absorb any amount of gp worth of alchemical components, within limits. as you level you gain formulas, which you can spend the gp worth of components to use.

I could see this work as a con-based caster, actually: you ingest an incredibly dangerous substance, which grants magical powers, but slowly drains your health. Perhaps borrow some stuff from the Green Star Adept.

Battlechemist
2009-09-29, 05:29 PM
Actually Eldan, the dancer-thing could work. as you play you would choose a style for each battle. and each style gives you more magical abilities as you work. and as for the int caster, i only had the absorption of chemicals part because that way you cant go lure an enemy into an alchemic lab and barrage him with strong spells, forever. although if you set that up it would be cool. anyways that does seem like a good idea.

Edit: by the way i don't have the book with green-star adept, and i'd like these to be core classes.

Eldan
2009-09-30, 07:06 AM
Of course these would be core classes. I just thought that the Green Star Adept had a similar flavor to this idea: he consumed a rare ingredient, which slowly increased his power.

Now, for my idea, let's just think about the following: assuming an alchemist, somehow, managed to distill a liquid which was, somehow, Pure Quintessence. Liquid Aether. Condensed Weave. Mana in a Bottle. Magic.
And then he drinks it. Now, this alchemist is an old and frail man, not very skilled with magic himself, and the liquid instantly kills him. However, his apprentice is young, healthy and strong, and he tries it as well. And lo and behold, this man survives.
Suddenly, magic radiates from every pore of his body. And he can use it.
How?
That we should find out.

Battlechemist
2009-09-30, 02:27 PM
Eldan that could actually flow well with the blood magus idea. but what then would be the int based caster?

LurkerInPlayground
2009-10-01, 07:54 PM
Physical magic is obvious.

Kung-fu.
Ninja magic.
Ki.

Uhhh . . . duh.

Things like bullet-time. Or shrugging-off wounds that would fell a normal man. Being able to run around in the tree-tops. Intercepting a naked blade with your bare hands. Catching a bullet in your teeth. Drawing the shadows around you to hide your presence. Paralyzing or killing people by jabbing their pressure points.

Wisdom would be traditional priestly or monastic stuff. Whether that's something like Zen Buddhism or something flavored closer to D&D's clerics that pray. A more Zen approach could include things like being able to see through illusions and being able to meditate your way into stasis.

Intelligence is hermetic magic. Incantations. Symbols. Alchemy. Familiar territory.

Charisma could be things like being able to hypnotize people. Making them see things that aren't there. Being able to terrify people by your presence or to entrance them with music/speech. Maybe you can whisper into the monarch's ear, Worm-Tongue style. Jedi mind tricks. Or Bene Gesserit voice.

Set
2009-10-02, 08:30 PM
Possibly for Strength some kind of class that relies on applying physical force of some kind of physical focus that gradually builds it up, and permits them to release it as magic? Focus on catastrophic releases of power at one time?

That would be my inclination as well, to have the strength-based caster be a kinetics/force mage, able to project the force of their blows at a distance, at lower levels, and push aside attacks that would damage them. At higher levels, they'd multiply the force of their 'distance punches' by adding energy to them, perhaps by building up energy and storing it within themselves. In the beginning of the day, when a normal wizard is reading his books, this mage is practicing kata, punching and kicking the air in rapid succession, building up as much kinetic energy within himself as he can safely store without rupturing his own internal organs and shattering his own bones.

He would be able to recharge between combats, but lack a lot of the utility of a wizard, limited to deflecting physical attacks, kinetic transportation (increasing ground speed and jump effects at lower level, flight at higher level, but remember that each utility function drains stored energy and leaves less available for kung-fu distance-death punching attacks!).

The physical attacks would be converted to force damage, allowing this 'ki mage' to be able to even 'punch' ghosts and spirits.

He'd end up being a Monk / Wizard hybrid, of sorts (not nearly as skilled in the combat arts as a full fledged monk, due to his specialized training).

The Con-based mage as a blood-mage / necromancer / life-force mage / self-transmuter / internal alchemist works well. Of the three physical stats, it's the one that's most intuitive (and has the most third-party support already).

A Dex-based mage might consider her agility and reflexes to represent her ability to interface with space and time. Her magic would represent spatial manipulations (moving like bullet-time) and temporal manipulations (oh look, more bullet-time, with a dash of Prince of Persia). Due to her manipulations of space and time, she might also have some relevant divination abilities (able to detect concealed spaces, predict danger, 'gather information' by meditating in an area and seeing glimpses of it's past), which might motivate her to also have a decent Wisdom score, making her less of a one-stat pony than a Wizard or Sorcerer. Still, Dex would be her primary attribute, and the more gracefully she can move, the more *superhumanly* she can move, and the faster she can react, the stronger her ability to bend time to seize the initiative, make multiple attacks, etc. becomes. She would also use a combination of physical combat (with greatly accelerated attack abilities, but only precision-based damage bonuses over a normal woman of her size and strength) and time and space-manipulating 'control' effects that cause foes to move slower (or be paralyzed temporarily).

It would be a neat visual, a party with a Strength-based mage, shouting kiais as he palm strikes distant foes and sends them flying as if they were Bull Rushed by a charging buffalo, and a Dex-based mage, flipping nimbly through a crowd of foes as if they were moving in slow motion (which, to her, they are, not even getting AoOs on the time-distorting combat-witch as she dances among them) inflicting blows on each in turn, using a magically enhanced variation on Whirlwind Attack / Spring Attack / Moveby Attack that allows her to strike a dozen foes in a single round.

For Charisma, some sort of Cult Leader seems the way to go. He's got natural leadership, and minions each give him power to cast his ritual magics. The more minions he can tap, the more powerful his spells become. The more he taps his minions, the more they become fatigued, exhausted, even disabled or dying!, and the less he can tap them that day. He doesn't just use Charisma to attract and maintain minions for ceremonial casting (and mundane uses), he also uses Charisma to summon, negotiate with and bind spiritual entities, who grant him the spells he casts (using his own life-energies, and that of his faithful followers), making Charisma doubly important to him, as he has to barter with fiends (or angels, or genies, or Things from the Outer Dark) to acquire spells, and then tap into the strenth of his followers to cast them. As he gains levels, he learns to tap into his followers strength in other ways, transfering life-energy between them (draining a couple of hit points from each to heal one that is dying, for instance), and not just hit point damage, but fatigue, strength, etc. (weakening others to make one chosen champion physically stronger for a brief time, for instance). Naturally, he can include himself in any of these transfers, and a selfless leader will give of his own life-energy to sustain members of his flock, while a cruel one might allow a follower to die, draining their remaining life to empower himself...

Having Wisdom or Intelligence based mages abilities based off of their skills, or the relevant traits of that attribute, could be neat.

A Wisdom based caster would be based around perception and willpower, spending time 'seeing through the illusion of reality' and then attempting to force changes through sheer force of will. (Notice check to discover traits of the encounter, with the better checks revealing the most potent possible weaknesses or traits for the second round, where a Will save is made as an opposed roll against the encounter, with the higher the success determining how significant the change is that the willworker makes. A marginal success, he might make the guards longswords turn into short swords. A moderate success, he might make them have just woken up (inexplicably) and be out of their armor. An awesome success, they might still be asleep, all of a sudden, even 'though it's mid-day, and they were awake, armed and charging the party!) If the will vs. will contest is failed, the target encounter sees through the changes the willworker is attempting to impose, dismissing them as illusions and functioning normally.

Applying this same sort of notion to the Intelligence based caster, instead of Perception checks, some sort of Knowledge checks would be needed, and the effects the cyphermage could evoke would depend on how much he knows about the target encounter. His spells would be language-based, and he'd know more than the usual number of languages, even for someone as brilliant as himself.

Battlechemist
2009-10-03, 06:45 AM
Thank you for your opinion Set. if anyone else wants to give some third party support, then by all means go ahead.

Galileo
2009-10-03, 03:29 PM
I have a set of d20 Modern-type psionic classes, one for every stat. I claim no responsibility for them, they were made by a human on another forum. Probably not close to your aims, but seeing another's ideas on the subject can help sometimes.

Booster
The Booster is a character that has tapped into his psychic potential to maximize his melee attacks and enhance his physique.
Requirements:
BAB: +3
Feats: Brawl, Improved Brawl, Power Attack, Wild Talent (valour or verve).
Class Features:
BAB: +3/4
Good Saves: Fortitude
Hit Dice: 1d10
Defence: +1 +1 +2 +2 +3 +3 +4 +4 +5 +5
Action Points: 6 + 1/2 character level
Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Balance, Climb, Drive, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (streetwise, tactics), Profession, Psicraft, Read/Write Language, Ride, Sense Motive, Speak Language, Survival, Swim.
Skill Points Per Level: 3 + Int modifier.
LEVEL ABILITY
1. Clobber
2. Boost (natural armour)
3. Bonus Feat
4. Extreme Surge
5. Boost (damage reduction)
6. Bonus Feat
7. Advanced Brawl
8. Boost (fast healing)
9. Bonus Feat
10. Boost Strength
Clobber (Ex). The Booster adds twice his Strength bonus on successful melee attacks that deal non-lethal damage.
Boost (Ps). A number of times per day equal to his class level, the Booster can enhance his physique. The enhancement lasts a number of rounds equal to his class level.
At 2nd level, the Booster gains a natural armour bonus equal to 1/2 his class level.
At 5th level, the Booster gains damage reduction equal to 1/2 his class level.
At 8th level, the Booster gains fast healing, recovering a number of hit points equal to 1/2 his class level every round.
At 10th level, the Booster gains a +10 enhancement bonus to his Strength.
Bonus Feat. At levels 3, 6, and 9, the Booster may select a feat from the following list. He must meet all prerequisites for the selected feat.
Athletic, Cleave, Frightful Presence, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Damage Threshold, Improved Knockout Punch, Knockout Punch, Street Fighting, Toughness, Weapon Focus.
Extreme Surge (Ps). At 4th level, the Booster can take a full round action to perform a Strength check or a Strength-based skill, and add half his class level to the result.
Advanced Brawl (Ex). At 7th level, the Booster receives a +3 bonus on unarmed attacks and does 1d10 points of nonlethal damage on a successful hit. This ability supercedes the Improved Brawl Feat.

Quickjack
The Quickjack is a character that has tapped into his psychic potential to warp the fabric of reality to make himself faster, create hidden transdimensional spaces, and even briefly disappear from one location in the universe and reappear in another.
Requirements:
Base Reflex Save: +2
Evasion
Skills: Balance 6 ranks, Escape Artist 6 ranks, Sleight of Hand 6 ranks.
Feats: Dodge, Quick Draw, Wild Talent (Burst)
Class Features:
Good Saves: Reflex
Hit Dice: 1d8
Defence Bonus: +1 +2 +2 +3 +4 +4 +5 +6 +6 +7
Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Demolitions, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Gamble, Hide, Jump, Knowledge-streetwise, Move Silently, Navigate, Profession, Psicraft, Read/Write Language, Sleight of Hand, Speak Language, Swim, Tumble.
Skill Points per Level: 5 + Int modifier.
LEVEL ABILITY
1. Fast Movement +10 feet
2. Pocket Universe
3. Bonus Feat
4. Improved Evasion
5. Fast Movement +20 feet
6. Bonus Feat
7. Dimensional Hop
8. Combat Evasion
9. Bonus Feat
10. Dimension Door
Fast Movement (Ex). The Quickjack's speed is 10 feet higher than the norm. At 5th level, this improves to 20 feet higher.
Pocket Universe (Ps). At 2nd level, the Quickjack can conceal and store items in a non-dimensional space that only he can access. The non-dimensional space can hold 10 pounds of non-living matter per class level. Withdrawing or placing an item into the non-dimensional space is a free action.
Bonus Feat. At levels 3, 6, and 9, the Quickjack may select a feat from the following list. He must meet all prerequisites for the selected feat.
Acrobatic, Agile Riposte, Archaic Weapon Proficiency, Heroic Surge, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Personal Firearms Proficiency, Run, Shot on the Run, Spring Attack, Weapon Finesse.
Improved Evasion (Ex). At level 4, the Quickjack's Evasion ability improves. When he makes a successful Reflex Saving Throw he takes no damage, and on a failed Reflex Saving Throw he takes half damage.
Dimensional Hop (Ps). At 7th level, the Quickjack can instantaneously teleport a distance equal to 25 feet + 5 feet per 2 class levels a number of times per day equal to his Dexterity bonus (minimum 1). Activating this ability is a move action; the Quickjack can spend an action point to activate this ability as a free action. The Quickjack can also spend an action point to use this ability if his daily allotment of uses has been exhausted.
Combat Evasion (Ps). At 8th level, the Quickjack can negate a successful attack on him by spending an action point and making a Reflex Save with a DC equal to the attack roll that hit him.
Dimension Door (Ps). At 10th level, the Quickjack can instantaneously teleport a distance equal to 400 feet + 40 feet per class level a number of times per day equal to his Dexterity bonus (minimum 1). Activating this ability is a move action; the Quickjack can spend an action point to activate this ability as a free action. The Quickjack can also spend an action point to use this ability if his daily allotment of uses has been exhausted.

Bulletwitch
The Bulletwitch taps into her psychic potential to telekinetically augment her accuracy with firearms.
Requirements:
BAB: +2
Skills: Concentration 6 ranks, Spot 6 ranks
Feats: Personal Firearms Proficiency, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Wild Talent (Far Hand or Far Punch)
Class Features:
Saves: Good Reflex, Medium Will
Defence Bonus: +1 +2 +2 +3 +4 +4 +5 +6 +6 +7
Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Balance, Climb, Concentration, Demolitions, Drive, Gamble, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcane lore, current events, pop culture, streetwise, tactics, theology & philosophy), Pilot, Profession, Psicraft, Read/Write Language, Repair, Ride, Speak Language, Spot, Swim, Tumble.
Skill Points Per Level: 5 + Int modifier.
LEVEL ABILITY
1. Expanded Range, Skip Shot
2. Knockout Shot
3. Bonus Feat
4. Trick Shot
5. Bulletproof Shield
6. Bonus Feat
7. Seeker Shot
8. Athletic Surge
9. Bonus Shot
10. Potent Shot
Expanded Range (Ps). The Bulletwitch is able to keep her shots accurate over extended ranges. She ignores the penalty from 1 range increment per class level.
Skip shot. The Bulletwitch receives Skip Shot as a bonus feat.
Knockout Shot (Ps). The Bulletwitch is able to telekinetically slow down the projectiles she hits her targets with. She can convert the damage of any ranged weapon she uses to non-lethal damage.
Bonus Feat. At levels 3, 6, and 9, the Bulletwitch may select a feat from the following list. She must meet all prerequisites for the selected feat.
Advanced Firearms Proficiency, Burst Fire, Dead Aim, Double Tap, Exotic Firearms Proficiency, Far Shot, Quick Draw, Quick Reload, Shot on the Run, Strafe, Two Weapon Fighting.
Trick Shot (Ps). At 4th level, the Bulletwitch may attempt the following combat actions when using a ranged weapon: Bull Rush, Disarm, Sunder, Trip. She uses her Constitution modifier instead of her Strength modifier on any opposed rolls.
Bulletproof Shield (Ps). At 5th level, the Bulletwitch can protect herself with a telekinetic force field a number of times per day equal to her Constitution bonus (minimum 1). Activating this ability is a move action and it has a duration of 1 round per class level. The Bulletwitch can spend 1 action point to activate the Bulletproof Shield as a free action. The Bulletproof Shield provides the Bulletwitch with DR equal to her class level. The Bulletwitch can spend 1 action point to activate this ability if her daily allotment has been exhausted.
Seeker Shot (Ps). At 7th level, the Bulletwitch can shoot bullets that go around corners. The Bulletwitch spends 1 action point to activate this ability. The Bulletwitch ignores cover and concealment when targeting her opponent. If the target has total cover, a clear path between the Bulletwitch and the target must exist, and it cannot exceed the maximum range of the Bulletwitch's weapon.
Athletic Surge (Ps). At 8th level, the Bulletwitch can use her telekinesis to boost her athleticism. The Bulletwitch adds her Constitution Bonus to all Strength and Dexterity based skills and checks. A number of times per day equal to her Constitution score (minimum 1) she can spend an action point and add the results of a Concentration check to the Strength or Dexterity-based skill check or ability check.
Potent Shot (Ps). At 10th level, the Bulletwitch can spend 1 action point and add her class level to her attack and damage roll with a ranged weapon. This is a full round action.

Impeller
The Impeller has tapped her psychic potential to draw energy to machines in order to maximize their effectiveness.
Requirements:
Skills: Computer Use 6 ranks, Craft electronics or Craft mechanical 6 ranks, Drive 3 ranks, Knowledge physical sciences or Knowledge technology 6 ranks, Pilot 3 ranks, Repair 6 ranks.
Feats: Gearhead, Vehicle Expert, Wild Talent (finger of fire)
Class Features:
BAB: +1/2
Medium Saves: Fortitude and Reflex
Hit Dice: 1d6
Defence: +1 +1 +2 +2 +3 +3 +4 +4 +5 +5
Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Computer Use, Craft (electronics, mechanical), Demolitions, Disable Device, Drive, Knowledge (physical sciences, technology), Navigate, Pilot, Profession, Psicraft, Read/Write Languages, Repair, Research, Search, Speak Languages, Treat Injury.
Skill Points Per Level: 7 + Int modifier
LEVEL ABILITY
1. Power Surge (2d6)
2. Canny Transporter
3. Bonus Feat
4. Extreme Acceleration
5. Power Surge (4d6)
6. Bonus Feat
7. Power Surge (Close Range)
8. Extreme Puissance
9. Bonus Feat
10. Power Surge (6d6)
Power Surge (Ps). The Impeller is able to create surges of power to repair or damage machinery. At 1st level, she can repair or cause 2d6 points of damage to a machine as a full round action. She must be touching the machinery in order to affect it. She can also spend 1 action point and cause 2d6 points of electrical damage to a living creature by making a successful melee touch attack or restore 2d6 hit points by touching a wounded living creature.
At 5th level, the amount of the Power Surge increases to 4d6.
At 7th level, the range at which the Impeller can use her Power Surge ability increases to 25 feet + 5 feet per 2 class levels. She must make a ranged touch attack for it to succeed.
At 10th level, the amount of the Power Surge increases to 6d6.
Canny Transporter (Ex). The Impeller adds half her class level on all Drive and Pilot skill checks.
Bonus Feat. At levels 3, 6, and 9, the Impeller may select a feat from the following list. He must meet all prerequisites for the selected feat.
Aircraft Operation, Armour Proficiency (light), Armour Proficiency (medium), Armour Proficiency (powered), Builder, Cautious, Combat Expertise, Craft Cybernetics, Cybersurgery, Drive-by Attack, Educated, Forced Stop, Improved Initiative, Personal Firearms Proficiency, Point Blank Shot, Surface Vehicle Operation, Vehicle Dodge, Weapon Finesse.
Extreme Acceleration (Ps). At 4th level, by spending 1 action point, the Impeller can increase the speed of a vehicle she is touching by 50%. This increase in speed lasts for as long as the Impeller concentrates, up to 1 hour per class level. She must spend a move action each round to maintain the Extreme Acceleration.
Extreme Puissance (Ps). At 8th level, by spending 1 action point, the Impeller can increase the damage caused by a vehicle or weapon she is touching by 50%. This increase in damage lasts for as long as the Impeller concentrates, up to 1 hour per class level. She must spend a move action each round to maintain the Extreme Puissance.

Psychic Prodigy
A Psychic Prodigy has had her inhibitions stripped and this has opened her mind wide open. She is highly intuitive, but her powers are not completely under her control. She is also a living weapon, capable of interpreting her opponents' moves before they even make them.
Requirements:
BAB: +2
Skills: Knowledge (any) 6 ranks, Sense Motive 6 ranks.
Feats: Combat Martial Arts, Defensive Martial Arts, Wild Talent (detect psionics)
Class Features:
Saving Throws: Poor Fortitude, Medium Reflex, Good Will
Defence Bonus: +0 +1 +1 +1 +2 +2 +2 +3 +3 +3
Reputation Bonus: +0 +0 +1 +1 +1 +2 +2 +2 +3 +3
Action Points Per Level: 6 + 1/2 character level.
Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft (visual arts), Drive, Escape Artist, Gamble, Handle Animal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (all), Listen, Move Silently, Navigate, Perform (all), Pilot, Profession, Read/Write Language, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Speak Language, Spot, Swim, Treat Injury, Tumble.
Skill Points per Level: 7 + Int modifier
LEVEL ABILITY
1. Intuitive Defence, Living Weapon (1d6), Psionics
2. Insane Genius
3. Bonus Feat
4. Sense Psionics
5. Living Weapon (1d8)
6. Bonus Feat
7. Intuitive Initiative
8. Intuitive Attacks
9. Bonus Feat
10. Living Weapon (1d10)
Intuitive Defence (Ex). The Psychic Prodigy adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her Defence as an insight bonus.
Living Weapon (Ex). The Psychic Prodigy is trained to defend herself. Her unarmed damage when using the Combat Martial Arts feat is 1d6. This increases to 1d8 at 5th level and 1d10 at 10th level.
Psionics (Ps). The Psychic Prodigy gains the ability to manifest psionic powers. She gains power points and psionic powers known as the Battle Mind. Her psionic powers can be chosen from the following list:
0: Burst, Detect Psionics, Valour, Verve.
1: Combat Precognition, Lesser Body Adjustment, Object Reading, Vigour.
2: Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Combat Focus, Combat Prescience, Darkvision, Detect Thoughts, Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions.
3: Metaphysical Weapon, Negate Psionics.
4: Natural Armour, Psychofeedback.
Insane Genius (Ex). The Psychic Prodigy possesses an insane genius. She can make all Knowledge skill checks untrained, and adds half her class level on all trained and untrained Knowledge skill checks.
Bonus Feat. At levels 3, 6, and 9, the Psychic Prodigy gains a bonus feat. She must meet all requirements of the chosen feat. She can select a feat from the following list:
Acrobatic, Action Boost, Advanced Combat Martial Arts, Agile Riposte, Alertness, Archaic Weapon Proficiency, Blindfight, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Combat Throw, Creative, Defensive Martial Arts, Dodge, Educated, Elusive Target, Focused, Frightful Presence, Heroic Surge, Improved Combat Martial Arts, Improved Combat Throw, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Jack of All Trades, Lightning Reflexes, Nerve Pinch, Personal Firearms Proficiency, Run, Stealthy, Ultra Immune System, Unbalance Opponent, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus, Zero-G Training.
Sense Psionics (Ps). The Psychic Prodigy gains the ability to use Detect Psionics as a constant ability. The range is 30 feet per class level. It takes no action to detect the presence of psionic activity, but she must concentrate to gain any additional information.
Intuitive Initiative (Ex). The Psychic Prodigy adds her Wisdom bonus to her Initiative rolls.
Intuitive Attacks (Ex). The Psychic Prodigy adds her Wisdom bonus to her attack and damage rolls in both melee and ranged combat.

Psi-Link
Psi-Links are capable of compelling people to follow their mental commands. They are also able to make those physically close to them work better as a team.
Requirements:
Skills: Bluff 6 ranks, Diplomacy 6 ranks, Intimidate 6 ranks.
Feats: Confident, Trustworthy, Wild Talent (daze, distract, or missive)
Class Features:
BAB: +1/2
Good Saves: Will
Hit Dice: 1d6
Defence Bonus: +0 +1 +1 +1 +2 +2 +2 +3 +3 +3
Reputation Bonus: +2 +2 +2 +3 +3 +3 +4 +4 +4 +5
Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Bluff, Concentration, Craft (visual art, writing), Diplomacy, Disguise, Forgery, Gamble, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Knowledge (all), Listen, Perform (all), Profession, Psicraft, Read/Write Language, Research, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Speak Language, Spot.
Skill Points Per Level: 7 + Int modifier
LEVEL ABILITY
1. Connexion (Skills), Psionics (0 & 1st), Power Points: 2
2. Trigger Power, Power Points: 3
3. Bonus Feat, Power Points: 4
4. Connexion (Saves), Psionics (2nd), Power Points: 7
5. Trigger Power, Power Points: 10
6. Bonus Feat, Psionics (3rd), Power Points: 15
7. Connexion (Defence), Power Points: 20
8. Trigger Power, Psionics (4th), Power Points: 27
9. Bonus Feat, Power Points: 34
10. Connexion (Attack), Psionics (5th), Power Points: 43
Connexion (Ps). Psi-Links have an innate aura that makes their friends work well together and their enemies unnerved.
At 1st level, allies adjacent to the Psi-link gain a +1 morale bonus on all Skill Checks and opponents suffer a -1 morale penalty on all Skill Checks.
At 4th level, allies adjacent to the Psi-link gain a +1 morale bonus on all Saving Throws and opponents suffer a -1 morale penalty on all Saving Throws.
At 7th level, allies adjacent to the Psi-link gain a +1 morale bonus to Defence and opponents suffer a -1 morale penalty to Defence.
At 10th level, allies adjacent to the Psi-link gain a +1 morale bonus on all Attack and Damage Rolls and opponents suffer a -1 morale penalty on all Attack and Damage Rolls.
Psionics (Ps). Psi-Links know all psionic powers based off Charisma, but they can only manifest powers of a level equal to 1/2 their class level (minimum 1st). Psi-Links must have a Charisma score of 10 + the level of the power to manifest it; any saving throw against a power is equal to 10 + the power level + the Psi-link's Charisma modifier.
Power Points (Ps). Psi-Links gain power points as listed, plus any bonus power points due to high Charisma.
Trigger Power (Ps). At levels 2, 5, and 8, the Psi-Link chooses a power she knows. She can manifest it a number of times per day equal to her Charisma modifier without spending power points on it.
Bonus Feat. At levels 3, 6, and 9, the Psi-Link gains a bonus feat. She must meet all requirements of the chosen feat. She can select a feat from the following list:
Agile Riposte, Alertness, Combat Expertise, Creative, Deceptive, Dodge, Educated, Frightful Presence, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Low Profile, Renown, Weapon Finesse, Windfall.

Battlechemist
2009-10-04, 08:01 AM
500 views, and only Eldan actually took some inspiration from this. try looking at Eldans quintessence alchemist, detailed in the below thread. this is the kind of thing i want. a whole new magic system to fit with each class. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126887

IcarusWings
2009-10-04, 09:38 AM
for the stealing souls for power Elric idea(not sure which stat it should come under), maybe something like the level of the monster you kill divided by three is the level of the spell you gain. the levels should be divisible but not multipliable, so if you kill a level 18 monster you can cast a single level 6 spell, 2 level 3 spells, 3 level 2 spells or 6 level 1 spells; but if you kill 3 level 3 monsters you can only do 3 level 1 spells not a level 3 spell.

I might try making it, but i'm still relatively new to D & D and i'm not really used to it.

Merlin

drakir_nosslin
2009-10-04, 09:51 AM
I like Set's idea of the dex based caster. I agree that the ones that focuses on physical rather than mental stats would probably lean more towards combat in a direct way, rather than throwing around fireballs. And since Dex is my favourite attribute, I would like to see something like that for real... If I get some more time in the near future I might even try to make something myself, though I've never brewed anything before...

Ichneumon
2009-10-05, 11:29 AM
Wouldn't a Dex-based spellcaster be something like a (shadow)dancer or someone who's spells depend largely on somatic components?

A wisdom-caster could be someone who's alertness has moved beyond the physical realm, to the laws underlying the universe, enabling him or her to change the fundaments of existence.

A constitution-caster, other than the most obvious and fitting "biowizard", could be a caster who's concentration is so much that he is able to "loose" himself when casting spells, maybe having some kind of rage that forces him to focus on one enemy or one task.

Battlechemist
2009-10-06, 05:42 PM
I stabilize this thread, with a heal check. Is it just me, or does everyone seem to think that wisdom should involve an expanded conciousness?

Ichneumon
2009-10-07, 12:24 PM
I stabilize this thread, with a heal check. Is it just me, or does everyone seem to think that wisdom should involve an expanded conciousness?

That or an expanded "understanding" of the univerise, as oposed to an expanded "knowledge", which would be more something for intelligence.

Battlechemist
2009-10-08, 02:17 PM
New ideas:
For the str based caster, how about the development of a "Magic" muscle through exercise as part of the fluff.
In addition, there is no need that the ideas need to be constrained by the arcane. it could be divine or psionic, or maybe there could be a class that uses alchemy to mimic the effects of real magic. maybe there could even be a new powersource concieved? just saying.

Battlechemist
2009-10-10, 01:45 PM
shameful bump.
come on, anyone else got some ideas?

playswithfire
2009-10-11, 09:01 AM
Posting this here, rather than in the six separate threads. Are you looking for base classes, prestige classes, or both?

Also, some random, ill-formed thoughts. For the DEX-based caster, I took a quick look at the Dex-based skills and there are two that I think lend themselves towards a style of casting: Sleight of Hand, with all of the obvious references to up-close magic and illusions and, though this is a bit more of a reach, Use Rope. From simple things like rope trick to tugging on the strings in the fabric of reality, I think there may be something there.

For a Strength-based caster, my first thought was that you could flavor it as a non-evil Ur Priest, someone who (literally or figuratively) wrestles the magics he wields away from the gods or from other planes of existence. A second thought, after perusing the skill list would be to use Climb and/or Jump and have a caster whose powers increase based on his altitude, though, in a world where flight is easy, that may be too easy to abuse. So, that probably doesn't work. I was going to have it be a goliath-oriented class, with the whole living on a mountain thing.

Roland St. Jude
2009-10-11, 11:52 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Before you start any more threads on this, make sure you - the OP - have some content to put in them. A series of threads saying "a str based caster? Go nuts!" is not helpful - six of them is just clutter. Keep things in this one thread if at all possible, and if you need a separate thread for each, make sure you have a proposal, with some detail, before you start such a thread.

Even if you wish to do this by collaboration, rather than post your ideas and get approval, you have to give people a good idea of exactly what you are looking for and at least some guidance about what you view the end product as. (See above for some of the issues that need to be resolved.)

But honestly, try to keep things to this thread.

Ichneumon
2009-10-11, 12:08 PM
In all honesty I don't think "uses <insert game mechanic> to cast spells" is a good starting concept for creating a character class.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-11, 12:14 PM
In all honesty I don't think "uses <insert game mechanic> to cast spells" is a good starting concept for creating a character class.

Agreed. There is little to no reason to have a Str-based caster without some idea of why there needs to be a Str-based caster.

Battlechemist
2009-10-11, 12:42 PM
Alright, this is what i would personally like to see for each class, although everyone is free to make their own ideas

Str:
a person finds out there is a "magic" muscle, and by exercising it, he can gain various magical abilities. this could manifest in powers that need to be charged up with maybe some streaches, before fighting. the more time is spent warming up, the more powerful this caster becomes.

Dex:
Some are gifted with powerful link to a repository of knowledge that allows the to have a dozen lifetimes worth of knowledge at birth. however at the time most people do not have fast enough fingers to work the complex somatic gestures required to use such knowledge. this caster might gain some at will powers that he can augment with metamagic, as he grows more dextrous and levels.

Con:
Basically, all living things gererate excess energy. this energy can be used to produce some powerful effects, if used correctly. this caster would start with a pool of mana to cast his spells. it is small, but if not used it will recharge.

Int:
While magic is a fine thing, these "casters" rely on alchemy. each of thier "spells" is Ex in nature, and is actually created using a complex set of alchemical components. each formula has to be paid for before it can be used.

Wis:
some find that being clever is not the same thing as being wise. these Philosophers study new philosophies, and as they study, they gain new understanding on new ancient secrets.

Cha:
Some do not try to fight with strength of thier own. after taking down an opponent they can link it's soul to their's. this allows the caster to strengthen their newfound friends, and command them, eventually even drawing power from them.

Battlechemist
2009-10-12, 11:52 AM
bump.
also almost forgot, i want base classes.

Battlechemist
2009-10-13, 02:25 PM
just casting cure moderate wounds on this thread.
if anyone needs ideas on the classes i'm liable to help.

Battlechemist
2009-10-15, 06:22 PM
bump.
if this falls off the page again i'm going to let it die.

Realms of Chaos
2009-10-16, 04:09 AM
When I read this thread, I guess that I was somewhat inspired. A couple days later, I came up with The Paragon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128415), a Str-/Dex-/Con-based "caster".

I basically figured that the best way to handle the physical ability scores was to have a class that improves their combat ability through physical means, using a framework of abilities that superficially resemble other magic systems.

While this uses 3 ability scores and thus doesn't qualify as what you are looking for, it is there if anybody needs inspiration.

Battlechemist
2009-10-17, 03:22 PM
somebody comment please. i could use a comment.