PDA

View Full Version : Is there a compiled version of all the Comics?

Lifeofchaosd
2009-09-27, 06:11 PM
I have no internet so I can only read when I am at a friends or my dads house. If it has been done or could be done I would like to know so that I can read at home and not get lost on where I was. Please and Thank you.

Lifeofchaosd

Maximum Zersk
2009-09-27, 06:12 PM
Yes, yes there is. There are three books, and two books with content only released to public.

The first one's name is Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, the second one is No Cure for Paladin Blues, and the third one is War and XP. Then the prequel books are On the Origin of PCs and Start of Darkness.

Also, try looking around the site before you ask a question.

Lifeofchaosd
2009-09-27, 06:15 PM
I meant is there a free one. Like the site just all put in a WinRAR or something.

Kish
2009-09-27, 06:17 PM
No. That wouldn't exactly be profitable when he sells the compilations.

[TS] Shadow
2009-09-27, 06:19 PM
I'll bet there will be a master book edition with EVERYTHING in it after the strip is over. But that's a long way away.

xyzzy
2009-09-27, 06:30 PM
Shadow;7013255']I'll bet there will be a master book edition with EVERYTHING in it after the strip is over. But that's a long way away.

It better be hard cover and multi-volume with loads of extra commentary and super high-quality paper. Like Calvin & Hobbes did. That would be extremely pwnin'.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-27, 06:44 PM
Yes, but that would make it hard on us who have already bought the books.

Kish
2009-09-27, 06:49 PM
Considering how ridiculously is-this-even-physically-possible?-big one book with all the published books so far would be, I'll take that bet: Ten gold says no master book edition.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-09-27, 06:50 PM
Considering how ridiculously is-this-even-physically-possible?-big one book with all the published books so far would be, I'll take that bet: Ten gold says no master book edition.

...how is that unfeasible?

xyzzy
2009-09-27, 07:15 PM

The C+H collection I compared this as a possibility to is 3 volumes, all around 2-3ish inches; they're plenty durable. If it was a single volume, yes, I'd agree, but things like this are never just one volume.

Kish
2009-09-27, 07:26 PM
So have the several books of OotS that have been published published again as...a smaller, but still plural, number of books? I don't quite see the point.

...how is that unfeasible?
You'll have to use more words if you want an answer from me, I'm afraid, I'm not at all clear what you're asking.

Jagos
2009-09-27, 07:32 PM
There may be a chance that somewhere down the road there'd be a hardback that compiles everything.

It happens a lot in manga. But it depends entirely on what Giant wants to do.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-27, 07:53 PM
I have an encyclopaedia at my house that could house all the OOTS strips I believe if it were an OOTS book and not an encyclopaedia. Of course I don't know how many strips the comic will be altogether yet.

And neither do you David argall.

Random832
2009-09-27, 07:55 PM
So have the several books of OotS that have been published published again as...a smaller, but still plural, number of books? I don't quite see the point.

I don't think that OOTS is ever going to reach the point of being much bigger than a third of Calvin & Hobbes, so the point that C&H can fit into three books would seem to imply that OOTS will be able to fit into one book.

BatRobin
2009-09-27, 07:56 PM
And neither do you David argall.

You, sir/ma'am, have just won a place in my heart.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-27, 08:01 PM
You, sir/ma'am, have just won a place in my heart.

That would be sir right now. Barring something spontaneously turning me into a female.

I'm just tired of David argall claiming he knows so much.

Nimrod's Son
2009-09-27, 08:24 PM
Even assuming it's possible, I don't know why anyone would want an omnibus edition of what potentially amounts to 10+ books all in one volume. It would weigh as much as a fully-grown seal and be borderline impossible to read without some kind of lectern. The books as they are are already lovely. Combining them into one would be tantamount to welding ten classic cars bumper-to-bumper to make one ostentatious Longcar.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-27, 08:25 PM
Even assuming it's possible, I don't know why anyone would want an omnibus edition of what potentially amounts to 10+ books all in one volume. It would weigh as much as a fully-grown seal and be borderline impossible to read without some kind of lectern. The books as they are are already lovely. Combining them into one would be tantamount to welding ten classic cars bumper-to-bumper to make one ostentatious Longcar.

I now have to do this.:smalltongue:

Berserk Monk
2009-09-27, 10:56 PM
Shadow;7013255']I'll bet there will be a master book edition with EVERYTHING in it after the strip is over. But that's a long way away.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/17531/917885-doctor_manhattan_large.jpg
"There is no future. There is no past. Do you see? Time is simultaneous, an intricately structured jewel that humans insist on viewing one edge at a time, when the whole design is visible in every facet."

Jagos
2009-09-27, 11:00 PM

That's like saying there aren't 20 reissues of Dragonball that people can't enjoy in the US.

factotum
2009-09-28, 01:25 AM
I can't quite imagine a hardback the size of a comic which is over 1000 pages long, which it easily would be by the time everything gets wrapped up.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-28, 01:26 AM
I can't quite imagine a hardback the size of a comic which is over 1000 pages long, which it easily would be by the time everything gets wrapped up.

IF it gets wrapped up.

:elan: DUNH DUNH DUNH!

Porthos
2009-09-28, 02:05 AM

Fun Fact:

A hardback that collected the all of the current books, all of the comics not already in a book, and all of the bonus strips and commentary would already be over 1100 pages long.

Heck, there are already over 1000 pages of "pure comic strip"*, even if one doesn't count the commentaries or various chapter splash pages and other extras. :smalleek:

* 1011 and 1/2 comic pages as of Comic #681, to be precise. 1034 and 5/6ths comic pages if one counts the Dragon strips.

And please don't ask why I know that. :smalltongue:

Dixieboy
2009-09-28, 03:38 AM
You'll have to use more words if you want an answer from me, I'm afraid, I'm not at all clear what you're asking.

Why is a master book edition so unfeasable?

The Recreator
2009-09-28, 03:57 AM

There's many reasons why the Giant would choose not to make an omnibus, but I'm going to go with "impractical". Having multiple inventories of what's essentially the same product ties up your investment capital. He might overestimate (or underestimate) the demand of the new omnibus edition and end up with leftover, unsellable supplies of the older ones - or vice versa. Add that to the extra capital needed to order a run of extra-hefty books, and you have a poor business proposition.

If any webcomic can pull off an omnibus edition, I'm sure it's Order of the Stick. It's still a webcomic, though. It's not like the Giant has a nice big publisher to take the blow for him if the new books don't sell.

Jamin
2009-09-28, 03:59 AM
I think it would be unfair to those of us who bought the books.

Trixie
2009-09-28, 04:24 AM
No, it would be a good way to profit again from the same thing.

But I agree, there will be no omnibus book, unless it is something like limited run of 500 autographed books for thrice the price.

Kish
2009-09-28, 10:57 AM
As already stated: Because if it was one book, it would be insanely huge

It would weigh as much as a fully-grown seal and be borderline impossible to read without some kind of lectern. The books as they are are already lovely. Combining them into one would be tantamount to welding ten classic cars bumper-to-bumper to make one ostentatious Longcar.
, and if it was multiple books, it would be effectively what was released already, with some "uh, why?" reshuffling.

Kcalehc
2009-09-28, 11:14 AM
As already stated: Because if it was one book, it would be insanely huge

, and if it was multiple books, it would be effectively what was released already, with some "uh, why?" reshuffling.

Multiple books, very limited edition (and numbered/certified), super nice and fancy hard covers (that match up in a set with a nice graphic on the spine), maybe even signed. Tell me that that would not sell...

If I can sell you the same thing twice for the same price or higher, why would I not? It's not like the author has to write the comic again, just re-print it in a different way - but make these more desireable for collectors.

Jagos
2009-09-28, 07:19 PM
I think it would be unfair to those of us who bought the books.

Actually, it wouldn't if it were paced out far enough from the books as to be economically feasible. But that comes with a big publishing deal and a number of other things.

Harr
2009-09-28, 08:27 PM

No reshuffling would be necessary.

And it would be bought by people who haven't bought the individual books, and want to know that they're getting the whole thing in one shot, premium edition. There are (many) people like that out there, including myself.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Calvin-Hobbes-v/dp/0740748475

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Boxset-Books-1-7/dp/0545044251

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Complete-Gift-Set/dp/0007141327

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Tower-Boxed-Set-Books/dp/0451211243

http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Narnia-Boxed-Set/dp/0064471195

http://www.amazon.com/Materials-Golden-Compass-Subtle-Spyglass/dp/0375823360

http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Box-Set-Amazon-com-Exclusive/dp/B001C0JRJC

[[another 100 or so examples that I'm too lazy to compile]]

Yes, clearly a non-feasible idea that would never fly in the real world, right :smallwink:

You might chafe at the notion that there exist people who would pay a premium price for goods when they come in a nice "deluxe" boxed set... but we exist anyway. Crazy world, huh.

Now whether the Giant is actually capable of producing something like that at all, being independent, is another question entirely... but if he was, then it would be a good idea to do so. No question.

Porthos
2009-09-28, 09:08 PM
Yes, clearly a non-feasible idea that would never fly in the real world, right :smallwink:

And as I am sure you are aware, (almost) every time that happens, a major section of the fan base whines and moans about being soaked for content that they already have.

Perhaps understandably it's the "completists" who usually squeal the loudest. :smalltongue:

ericgrau
2009-09-28, 09:08 PM
Buy the books. They aren't that expensive. And they support an awesome comic. I know a lot of people will work for hours to save $10, and often won't work for a single hour to earn the same amount. But that's just not smart. "Principled", maybe, but never smart.

lothos
2009-09-29, 02:17 AM
I would be most grateful if a future book made the strips from Dragon Magazine available somehow. I know there were only 20 or 30 of them, but I've only managed to find 2 of them in old dragon magazines.

I'm also aware that there might be complexities of copyright. I just want to note that I'd be happy to buy them, or even happier to see them as bonus material in a new book :-)

rangermania
2009-09-29, 02:31 AM
See this guy clearly asks if there is something like a rapidshare link to a collection of the online meterial I would guess that it wouldn't be taken well around here if not forbidden by rules.

And It is so funny to see everybody else start talking about an "All in one OoTS Book" all of a sudden. If it is feasible and what not! :smallbiggrin:

I love you guys...:smalltongue:

@Lifeofchaosd: If you want a solid advice don't try too hard to read them all in a short time. I really wish that I've just met OoTS and had 681 pages of this stuff to read...

Asta Kask
2009-09-29, 02:35 AM

You've obviously never worked for White Wolf. They released all the Werewolf tribe books - first singly, then two-in-one, and then three-in-one.

MickJay
2009-09-29, 04:05 AM
I was considering getting (at least) the prequels, but the postage costs would almost double the books' price. Now I don't know how many more books are going to be published, and how many more times I'd have to overpay for the postage if I were to get volumes individually - if I'm to buy them, I'll wait until everything's published. When that's done, I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for hard cover, either.

Simplest way to make sure no money is lost is to introduce pre-ordering and have the book printed as the (pre-paid) orders arrive.

Cleverdan22
2009-09-29, 01:52 PM
I have no internet so I can only read when I am at a friends or my dads house. If it has been done or could be done I would like to know so that I can read at home and not get lost on where I was. Please and Thank you.

Dude, nobody's going to give you an illegal copy to what the most of us have already purchased. Support Rich's work and buy the book.