PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] seeing through fog

jiriku
2009-09-27, 06:17 PM
What spells on the wizard/sorcerer spell list can allow the caster to see through the fog created by the fog cloud series of spells?

Flickerdart
2009-09-27, 06:18 PM
What spells on the wizard/sorcerer spell list can allow the caster to see through the fog created by the fog cloud series of spells?
Not even True Seeing negates it: they're a Conjuration effect. However, tricks like Mindsight (dip Mindbender 1, then Mindsight feat from Lords of Madness), Tremorsense and such all help.

Animefunkmaster
2009-09-27, 06:29 PM
While not specifically saying it will see through the fog/mist line of spells, Faerie Fire usually fits this bill with the DM.

Granted it's a druid 1 spell, or a spell like ability of a few improved familiars.

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-27, 06:38 PM
There besides spells like Blindsight, there are two magic items that can help: the Ring of X-Ray Vision (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#xRayVision) and the Cloud Cloak (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050311a).

jiriku
2009-09-27, 06:39 PM
Hmm, I suppose I could polymorph into a form with unusual viewing modes. I am a human 11th level wizard/red wizard and can easily boost my caster level to 15 to get the best available forms for polymorph. Unfortunately, my polymorph-jutsu is weak. Are there any forms available to me that can see through fog cloud-type effects and have an sufficiently human-like form to allow me to use my gear and cast my spells?

Glimbur
2009-09-27, 06:50 PM
Blindsight would rock. Blindsense is enough to let you target AoE's on... well you know something is there anyway.

A Bard/Sublime Chord can get a lot of mileage out of scrolls of Listening Lorecall, but that doesn't really help you unless you have a bunch of Listen for some weird reason.

Seffbasilisk
2009-09-27, 07:09 PM
Gust of Wind

jiriku
2009-09-27, 07:10 PM
My listen check is worse than a deaf man's. blindsight is a cleric/druid spell. Any way I can get that as a wizard?

Edit:

Gust of Wind

LOL! Yes, that would work -- but it's me casting the fog spells.

Basically, I'm trying to develop a spell combo with the fell frighten metamagic feat that will impose a significant saving throw penalty on a group of enemies at once, while still allowing me to target them.

This is because:

Our DM is in the habit of using monsters 4-8 CR above our EL, and my save-or-x spells are generally useless against such opponents because of their high save bonuses (and I'm a necromancer, so those spells are my bread and butter). I'm thinking of picking up chain spell next level so I can throw a fell frightening ray of sickness, but I need something to get by until then.

ericgrau
2009-09-27, 07:11 PM
Try a good listen check and AoE spells. That's all you need to blast something. If you need to see something plot important, then gust of wind or etc. the fog.

EDIT: Oh, your listen sucks. Well it's a DC 0 to get a general area/direction every time someone attacks, casts, etc. Hearing movement is a bit harder though. If you beat the DC by 20 then you can get exact square, but that's probably not necessary for a large AoE spell. Likewise something crude like tremorsense or blindsense may be all you need.

Raewyn
2009-09-27, 07:13 PM
There's an item in Pathfinder called Fogcutting Lenses, which lets you see through fog normally. Maybe you can persuade your DM to let you acquire a pair? *shrug*

(Alas, I can't provide page numbers because I encountered them while my DM was running Rise of the Runelords retro-fitted to 3.5, though I can probably ask him about it.)

Fizban
2009-09-27, 11:32 PM
The spell Dragonsight (Spell Compendium) will give you blindsense 5'/level for 1 hour/level, among other things. It's a 5th level spell.

Sense of the Dragon (Races of the Dragon) gives you the same effect as blindsense, or close enough, for 1 min/level. It's a 3rd level spell.

The Blindfold of True Darkness (Magic Item Compendium) gives you blindsight (30' I think) but as a blindfold, it removes your normal sight when using it. Not too expensive but not a cheap trick either.

Since you're trying to lower saves, I'll also suggest Atruman Oil (Planar Handbook). It's a grenadelike that gives -4 on fort saves for a minute. If you quicken the Launch Item cantrip you can even toss it out as a swift action.