PDA

View Full Version : So, the Cleveland Show...

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-09-27, 07:46 PM
The entire time I'm watching this that clip of Peter rambling off a list of the several dozen canceled Fox shows is running through my head.

Raistlin1040
2009-09-27, 07:48 PM
Apparently it's been picked up for a second season. Like, in May it was.

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-27, 08:02 PM
I want King of the Hill back. :smallfrown:

Robek
2009-09-27, 08:03 PM

This. Times a thousand.

KilltheToy
2009-09-27, 08:04 PM
I remain unconvinced. It seems like they said "What if the Griffins were black?"

I think I'll actually go watch it now....

TheSummoner
2009-09-27, 08:08 PM
Just another crappy show by a genuintly unfunny man.

chiasaur11
2009-09-27, 08:09 PM
Good.

I was beginning to regain faith in human nature, but between this and the latest Mass Effect 2 trailer, I have returned to the comfortable level of "None".

T-O-E
2009-09-27, 08:12 PM

I want this cancelled. :smallfrown:

The Neoclassic
2009-09-27, 08:17 PM
Apparently it's been picked up for a second season. Like, in May it was.

How can it be picked up for a second season when it hasn't even aired a second episode?

I'm not a big fan of Family Guy, and Cleveland was not one of my favorite characters. Hence, I'm not very enthusiastic about this. I'll probably watch the first episode when it goes up on hulu, shake my head, and then promptly forget about it existing until I hear that it got cancelled. :smalltongue:

doliest
2009-09-27, 08:21 PM
I've got a new game, it's called 'Guess how many Macfarlane shows will be on at once' the rules are take a guess at how many shows he will have running at the same time then you compare to see if you can find any differences. For each difference you get to drink. It's the only drinking game that ends with you more sober then when you started.

Jesse Drake
2009-09-27, 08:28 PM
The only time I laughed was when Cleveland was taking a bath during Peter's shenanigans. Everyone here was speculating that they'd make something big of his first non Quahog bath. Will he be paranoid? Well, someone will have to tell me cause I won't be watching it. I liked King of the Hill.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-27, 08:32 PM

This! I got so ticked when I heard what happened!

Reverent-One
2009-09-27, 08:34 PM
I was beginning to regain faith in human nature, but between this and the latest Mass Effect 2 trailer, I have returned to the comfortable level of "None".

I haven't seen a Mass Effect 2 trailer yet, but what's wrong with it?

chiasaur11
2009-09-27, 08:39 PM
I haven't seen a Mass Effect 2 trailer yet, but what's wrong with it?

Witness and weep (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09/27/mass-effect-2s-all-powerful-bitch/#more-18550).

Robek
2009-09-27, 08:53 PM
Witness and weep (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09/27/mass-effect-2s-all-powerful-bitch/#more-18550).

What... what... what was that? Wow...

doliest
2009-09-27, 09:01 PM

That...thing is a party member!?

That thing is a romantic interest!?

Liara I'm sorry, I want you back.

Seriously what where they thinking? Did they want another HK? If so they failed, bad.

mr_pathetic
2009-09-27, 09:09 PM
I watched it and did not find it all that funny.... hell American Dad is a sub par cartoon and even it has something to laugh about occasionally. Everything felt like a gag too done to be worth it or just meh. King of the Hill, now that was a great show to follow the simpsons.

MCerberus
2009-09-27, 09:10 PM
Well at least Family Guy this week was decent...

I had no good expectations of this show but I'm still disappointed.

JabberwockySupafly
2009-09-27, 09:49 PM
I haven't seen the show yet, so I can't comment, but to everyone saying they want King of the Hill back.... Imagine how I feel. I'm still wishing they'd bring back The Critic.

Robek
2009-09-27, 09:53 PM
I haven't seen the show yet, so I can't comment, but to everyone saying they want King of the Hill back.... Imagine how I feel. I'm still wishing they'd bring back The Critic.

The critic didn't run for 12 years. :smallwink:

Zeta Kai
2009-09-27, 10:04 PM

What, 13 seasons wasn't enough for everybody? I mean, the show was pretty good, I guess, but not more-than-a-decade good. If this show were live action (which it could've easily been), viewers would've been howling for its blood.

TheSummoner
2009-09-27, 10:13 PM
King of the Hill was a helluvalot better than any McFarlane show though... the writing was witty and the episodes often went in unexpected directions. It never relied on random violence or zany stupidity to get a laugh.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-27, 10:15 PM
zany stupidity

Wait. What was dale then?:smallconfused:

maybe he's just crazy

TheSummoner
2009-09-27, 10:17 PM
Dale was a nut and a conspiracy theorist, but he never fought a freaking chicken... three time... for 5 god-aweful minutes...

Moglorosh
2009-09-27, 10:18 PM
I used to really enjoy King of the Hill, but now I just find myself wishing that some freak accident will kill Peggy every time she has one of her ideas.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-27, 10:18 PM
Dale was a nut and a conspiracy theorist, but he never fought a freaking chicken... three time... for 5 god-aweful minutes...

Seth Mcfarlane has been added to my list.

also. Was I the only one who couldn't understand what Boomhauer (I'm sorry. I have no idea how to spell his name and that's the closest that comes to mind.) was saying?

Robek
2009-09-27, 10:19 PM
King of the Hill was a helluvalot better than any McFarlane show though... the writing was witty and the episodes often went in unexpected directions. It never relied on random violence or zany stupidity to get a laugh.

That's what I loved about it. It didn't have to rely on random violence and fart jokes to be funny.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-27, 10:20 PM
That's what I loved about it. It didn't have to rely on random violence and fart jokes to be funny.

wait a minute back up back up. Fart jokes are supposed to be funny? (and there was that one episode with the propaniacs.)

TheSummoner
2009-09-27, 10:20 PM
Eh, the thing with Boomhauer is apparently everyone in the show can understand him, but no one in the audience can... often played for laughs when something other than the way he talks makes a character unable to understand him.

Fawkes
2009-09-27, 10:21 PM
How can it be picked up for a second season when it hasn't even aired a second episode?

Because they're sure they can make money off of it. Seth McFarlane's successful enough - and has a large enough fanbase - that anything he wants to do is gonna be greenlit immediately - especially if it's basically another Family Guy.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-27, 10:42 PM
Just another crappy show by a genuintly unfunny man.

Yes as are all of Seth MacFarlane's shows.

chiasaur11
2009-09-27, 10:42 PM
What... what... what was that? Wow...

My thoughts exactly.

Lord Seth
2009-09-27, 10:46 PM
The Cleveland Show isn't very good, but it's still better than how bad Family Guy has been in the last few seasons. I think I'll probably give it one chance to get me interested, as pilots are often a bit weak.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-09-28, 12:13 AM
Oh look, a spin-off of a show that was made for a certain demographic, was then picked up by the wrong demographic, was exacerbated in it's issues, and then became utter crap of the same recurring joke.
Who could have possibly seen this coming?

Mystic Muse
2009-09-28, 12:14 AM
Oh look, a spin-off of a show that was made for a certain demographic, was then picked up by the wrong demographic, was exacerbated in it's issues, and then became utter crap of the same recurring joke.

*raises hand* yes I realize you were being sarcastic.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-09-28, 12:20 AM
*raises hand* yes I realize you were being sarcastic.

My bad, there is no, "there was no right way to answer the previous question" HTML code.

kpenguin
2009-09-28, 12:23 AM

Me.

Also, the people that can see why kids like cinnamon toast crunch.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-09-28, 12:37 AM
Also, the people that can see why kids like cinnamon toast crunch.

That lifeguard is a spy! No real lifeguard can see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

kpenguin
2009-09-28, 12:46 AM
I never really was on your side...

The Demented One
2009-09-28, 12:47 AM
Eh, the thing with Boomhauer is apparently everyone in the show can understand him, but no one in the audience can... often played for laughs when something other than the way he talks makes a character unable to understand him.
Boomhauer is hilarious if you know people who actually talk like that. The South does horrible, horrible things to the English language sometimes.

GoufCustom
2009-09-28, 12:56 AM

YES. So many times, yes. Heh. Today I actually helped a guy at the store I work at named Jay Sherman. I laughed inside.

Actually, you can make out Boomhauer if you pay close attention and filter out the words "dang" "old" "man" and a few others. What he actually says is very entertaining.

Winthur
2009-09-28, 12:58 AM
The people who diss Seth MacFarlane just have no idea about the word. :smallwink: Seriously though, it was once funnier, true.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-09-28, 01:01 AM
The people who diss Seth MacFarlane just have no idea about the word. :smallwink: Seriously though, it was once funnier, true.

Get my sandvich, and my gun, it's killing time again.

Finn Solomon
2009-09-28, 07:36 AM
Family Guy gets resurrected. Cleveland gets his own show and possibly a second season. Be still, my Browncoat heart.

BooNL
2009-09-28, 07:50 AM
I like Family Guy, it's enjoyable in a reduce-your-IQ-every-episode kind of way. I've been going through the series recently, up at season 5 now.
American Dad on the other hand is just awesome. Not only are the episodes slightly more coherent, I just like the characters more.

"Oh my god Haley, these chocodiles. Oh my god."

Cleveland though? One of the least enjoyable characters and I can't really see him getting a show, unless it was filled with every black comedy trope ever...

Jesse Drake
2009-09-28, 08:08 AM

Also, King of the Hill had real characters. Maybe not literally, but my sister's father in law, he's just like Dale. It's uncanny. He won't let anyone use toothpaste around him. He doesn't use cars... He get's where he needs to no a tiny bike! Wait, he upgraded to a moped. Boonhauer, well, if you've ever been down south, some people do talk like that. Not everyone, then again, did everyone on the show speak like that. And whom amongst us doesn't know a Bill?

I do like Family Guy, to a point, and American Dad, but they aren't always funny. It can get redundant.

TheSummoner
2009-09-28, 08:25 AM

Yes, repeating the same annoying song for half the episode, truely the pinnacle of comedy.

Seriously though, I have to question the thought process of someone who is entertained by something that seems intentionally done to be annoying as hell.

On a more enjoyable note though, yeah, we all know Bills, and Hanks as well.

Lord Seth
2009-09-28, 08:28 AM
The people who diss Seth MacFarlane just have no idea about the word. :smallwink: Seriously though, it was once funnier, true.What word?

Jesse Drake
2009-09-28, 08:38 AM
Brian, don't! Ha, I liked it once.

And of course, how the Hill did I miss Hank? And go ahead and stone me for that bad pun.

Obrysii
2009-09-28, 09:55 AM
I did not like it. It was boring.

I did like the season premier of Family Guy, though ... even if it was sort of a copy of an old Futurama episode.

When's Something, Something, Something, Darkside come out anyway? I thought that was supposed to be the season premier.

chiasaur11
2009-09-28, 10:11 AM
What word?

Hastur

To know the true form of Hastur is to know madness.

To know madness is to think Family Guy was ever funny.

Winthur
2009-09-28, 10:14 AM
Seriously though, I have to question the thought process of someone who is entertained by something that seems intentionally done to be annoying as hell.

I'm one of the few people that genuinely enjoy "Never Gonna Give You Up". Maybe I'm stupid, or maybe I just prefer to drink my tea in different teacups.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-09-28, 10:19 AM
Wait a second: The Clevland Show trailers on Hulu weren't some sort of horrible, tasteless joke?
I'm sorry, brain cells, you're going to have to put up with at least one episode.

Lord Seth
2009-09-28, 02:25 PM
At the risk of sounding horribly stupid or ignorant, could someone explain the joke in Family Guy when they're in the Disney universe and then they all beat up a guy because he was Jewish? Maybe I'm not good at seeing this kind of thing, maybe I just have a bad memory, or maybe I didn't see the cartoons/movies they're referring to, but when were Disney cartoons or movies particularly anti-Semitic?

MCerberus
2009-09-28, 02:27 PM
At the risk of sounding horribly stupid or ignorant, could someone explain the joke in Family Guy when they're in the Disney universe and then they all beat up a guy because he was Jewish? Maybe I'm not good at seeing this kind of thing, maybe I just have a bad memory, or maybe I didn't see the cartoons/movies they're referring to, but when were Disney cartoons or movies particularly anti-Semitic?

Disney himself was reputed to be an anti-Semite.

@V Throws shuriken into wall next to face and disappears in a puff of smoke.

Lord Magtok
2009-09-28, 02:28 PM

Walt Disney himself is known for being anti-Semitic, even if it doesn't really show in his works.

Edit: Gah, ninja'd!

doliest
2009-09-28, 04:30 PM
To be honest I liked family guy before the cancellation/revival, before Macfarlane decided to shove an idea down our throats every episode in between joke.

You know what I want? I want them to bring back God,The Devil, and Bob.

OracleofWuffing
2009-09-28, 07:00 PM
What word?
I was under the impression that everybody had heard about the word.

Hastur
No, the other word. The one of a certain feathered variety.

lisiecki
2009-09-28, 07:04 PM
Disney himself was reputed to be an anti-Semite.

@V Throws shuriken into wall next to face and disappears in a puff of smoke.

Well, he mass produced and distributed copy's of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

He is quoted as saying that if Jews ever got hold of the Board of Directors of Disney it was finished.

He was convinced that there was a Jewish plot to kill him.

He attended American Nazi Party Rallies.

Jahkaivah
2009-09-28, 07:05 PM

I think I'm gonna start applying the Psychopomp Rule, which is to say play Hawaii 5-0 over the top of the crappy trailers that Bioware release and think happpy thoughts.

lisiecki
2009-09-28, 07:07 PM
Walt Disney himself is known for being anti-Semitic, even if it doesn't really show in his works.

Edit: Gah, ninja'd!

Thats not QUITE true (http://forums.goldenagecartoons.com/showpost.php?p=122066&postcount=1)

Robek
2009-09-28, 07:15 PM
Well, he mass produced and distributed copy's of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

He is quoted as saying that if Jews ever got hold of the Board of Directors of Disney it was finished.

He was convinced that there was a Jewish plot to kill him.

He attended American Nazi Party Rallies.

http://mydisneymania.blogspot.com/2008/01/disney-was-not-antisemite.html

Thank you for accusing people of racism without any sources to support it.

Lord Loss
2009-09-28, 07:16 PM
Family guy just ''Jumped the Shark''...

Mystic Muse
2009-09-28, 07:31 PM
I don't think you can "jump the shark." when you weren't good to begin with.

lisiecki
2009-09-28, 07:32 PM
http://mydisneymania.blogspot.com/2008/01/disney-was-not-antisemite.html

Thank you for accusing people of racism without any sources to support it.

Oh I had assumed that a quick web search would bring up the statements of Arthur Babbitt

Arthur Babbit: Walt Disney accompanied [attorney Gunther] Lessing to American Nazi party meetings and rallies. According to one of [Disney’s] animators, Arthur Babbitt, “On more than one occasion, I observed Walt Disney and Gunther Lessing there, along with a lot of other prominent Nazi-afflicted [sic] Hollywood personalities. Disney was going to meetings all the time. I was invited to the homes of several prominent actors and musicians, all of whom were actively working for the American Nazi party.”

http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-Hollywoods-Prince-Biography/dp/155972174X

I never said he was a RACIEST, just that he attended rallys of the ANP, and that he donated time and money to there cause

Fawkes
2009-09-28, 07:34 PM
Family guy just ''Jumped the Shark''...

It jumped the shark back when it was canceled.

Although, I actually managed to enjoy the new episode. Except for the "dimension without religion". That was just stupid and offensive for no reason.

Lord Seth
2009-09-28, 07:38 PM
Well, whether Disney was an anti-semite or not, the bottom line is, I don't think it was very funny. If it's supposed to be a parody of Disney movies, it should be parodying things in it, not what the creator necessarily personally believes.

What would have been a far more effective joke would be for the Disney universe to have outrageous racial caricatures. That would have more basis in the actual Disney productions, as seen here (http://www.cracked.com/article_15677_9-most-racist-disney-characters.html). There might have been a bit over-analysis in the article, but at least they'd be parodying things in the movies or series themselves, rather than what Walt Disney himself might think.

lisiecki
2009-09-28, 07:44 PM
Well, whether Disney was an anti-semite or not, the bottom line is, I don't think it was very funny. If it's supposed to be a parody of Disney movies, it should be parodying things in it, not what the creator necessarily personally believes.

The family guy never makes fun of Disney the man.
The parody is Stewy and Brian being telaported to a Disney universe where Lois is baking dozens of Pies.
Peter breaks in to a song about how great Pie is.
The extend cast comes over to eat the pies
and when the Jewish supporting character comes over (Morte)
they brutally beat him

Lord Seth
2009-09-28, 07:48 PM
The parody is Stewy and Brian being telaported to a Disney universe where Lois is baking dozens of Pies.
they brutally beat himOkay then, give me one Disney film where they beat up a guy for being Jewish.

Robek
2009-09-28, 07:50 PM
they brutally beat him

They never said it was. Someone said they didn't understand a skit about the Disney company being racist to jews. Then someone explained that it's because Walt Disney was rumored (the rallies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Alliance_for_the_Preservation_of_Am erican_Ideals) you speak of were actually for members of an anti-communist group, although quite a few members were also anti-semites.) to be an anti-semite. Please, read the whole thread before posting.

lisiecki
2009-09-28, 07:51 PM
Okay then, give me one Disney film where they beat up a guy for being Jewish.

Well I cant think of any where ANY one is beaten up for being Jewish, and that wasnt really the point of the parody.

Watching The Critic, im FAIRLY sure that Walt Disneys frozen head never woke up, and asked "Are there still Jews?"

Its a parody, not literal truth

lisiecki
2009-09-28, 07:54 PM
They never said it was. Someone said they didn't understand a skit about the Disney company being racist to jews. Then someone explained that it's because Walt Disney was rumored (the rallies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Alliance_for_the_Preservation_of_Am erican_Ideals) you speak of were actually for members of an anti-communist group, although quite a few members were also anti-semites.) to be an anti-semite. Please, read the whole thread before posting.

Yes, I know some one asked that question, then later Lord Seth stated:

That is the post I quoted, explaining the scene to him.
I was referring to a specific post in the thread, that i quoted in my response.

Please read the post, and the direct post that its replying to, before posting

NEITHER of our posts have ANYTHING to do with the OP that was
The entire time I'm watching this that clip of Peter rambling off a list of the several dozen canceled Fox shows is running through my head.

From time to time, the things people are talking about with in a thread change

Robek
2009-09-28, 07:55 PM
He's saying that because Disney has absouletly NOTHING anti-semetic about it, yet Walt Disney was rumored to be one, then it is mocking Walt Disney which you denied.

lisiecki
2009-09-28, 07:57 PM
He's saying that because Disney has absouletly NOTHING anti-semetic about it, yet Walt Disney was rumored to be one, then it is mocking Walt Disney which you denied.

Ya, that Three little pigs cartoon, NOTHING antisemitic about that

Robek
2009-09-28, 07:58 PM
They found out the artist had put in a racial stereotype and fixed it. So it was one of the artists, or the writer; but not Disney itself.

lisiecki
2009-09-28, 08:00 PM
They found out the artist had put in a racial stereotype and fixed it. So it was one of the artists, or the writer; but not Disney itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXB3pTMkQFs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ak4vjiNzw

Yes, raciest imagery is something that would NEVER be displayed again in Disney cartoons

lisiecki
2009-09-28, 08:01 PM
ANYWAYS

The point of the sceen is that Jokes about Walt Disney being AntiSemetic (Event if he wasn't in real life)

Are a long running gag on MANY animated shows, the Simpsons and The Critic come to mind most Immediately

Lord Seth
2009-09-28, 08:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXB3pTMkQFs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ak4vjiNzw

Yes, raciest imagery is something that would NEVER be displayed again in Disney cartoonsWhat does that have to do with anti-semitism?

I'm not saying there aren't any problems with racism or at least caricatures in Disney cartoons, especially the earlier ones. What I'm asking for is about the anti-semitism. As I said, what would have been funny would be to have absurd racial caricatures in the Disney universe in the episode, which would drive Brian and Stewie away; instead, they pretty much pulled out a non sequitur. But hey, what is Family Guy, if not taking perfectly great opportunities for humor and doing something inferior?

(and for the record, given the fact that the first video was from a movie that has never been entirely released in the United States on VHS or DVD, and that the second was stated to be "banned" your sarcastic statement about it never being displayed again rather rings hollow, because they aren't being displayed again)

Robek
2009-09-28, 08:10 PM
What does that have to do with anti-semitism?

I'm not saying there aren't any problems with racism or at least caricatures in Disney cartoons, especially the earlier ones. What I'm asking for is about the anti-semitism. As I said, what would have been funny would be to have absurd racial caricatures in the Disney universe in the episode, which would drive Brian and Stewie away; instead, they pretty much pulled out a non sequitur. But hey, what is Family Guy, if not taking perfectly great opportunities for humor and doing something inferior?

(and for the record, given the fact that the first video was from a movie that has never been entirely released in the United States on VHS or DVD, and that the second was stated to be "banned" your sarcastic statement about it never being displayed again rather rings hollow, because they aren't being displayed again)

Plus they were published in the 30's and 40's back when racial stereotyping was common, and not considered politically incorrect. But I better stop posting so the thread doesn't get too derailed.

lisiecki
2009-09-28, 08:13 PM
What does that have to do with anti-semitism?

I could go on, but i'm not going to waste any ones time. I believe one thing, others believe another, Im not going to change any ones mind, and people arnt going to change mine, so no reasion to drag this thread FURTER off topic (and i fully admit that I was a major part of that)

To the person who asked about the Parody.

Making jokes about Walt Disney being antisemitic is a long running tradition in prime time cartoons

Lord Seth
2009-09-28, 08:34 PM
Whatever. Bottom line, I don't think it was funny.

Still, this episode was a step up from the previous season. The problem is, that's not saying much, because the only way for anything to not have been a step up from the previous season would be for it to sink to the levels of awfulness you'd find in Epic Movie.

Robek
2009-09-28, 08:38 PM
I caught the last five minutes of the Cleveland Show, and it's worse than Family Guy. Which is saying a lot. Which is sad because, King of the Hill was canceled for nothing. I had at least hoped for something decent to replace it. :smalltongue:

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-09-28, 08:42 PM
To be honest I liked family guy before the cancellation/revival, before Macfarlane decided to shove an idea down our throats every episode in between joke.

You know what I want? I want them to bring back God,The Devil, and Bob.
That.....That show ruled. I loved the episode when God forgot Satan's birthday and he took all the evil back to Hell with him ^_^.

kwanzaabot
2009-10-02, 02:28 AM
And yet Firefly gets cancelled after 11 episodes. :smallfrown:

X2
2009-10-02, 05:48 AM
What!? There's a CLEVELAND show now!?

Sweet jabeesus!

TheSummoner
2009-10-02, 06:47 AM
McFarlane shows are like roaches =P

Aptera
2009-10-02, 10:10 PM
I found the segment with the Japanese universe, of the premiere, to be quite offensive. Just... wow. A lot of stereotypes there, hell the only thing i'm happy about is that they didn't give them buckteeth and a desire to rape western women. Plus the back story made no sense whatsoever.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-10-02, 10:30 PM
I found the segment with the Japanese universe, of the premiere, to be quite offensive. Just... wow. A lot of stereotypes there, hell the only thing i'm happy about is that they didn't give them buckteeth and a desire to rape western women. Plus the back story made no sense whatsoever.

The buckteeth is actually more often used for Chinese and Vietnamese stereotyping. Have you ever watched Japanese television? It's pretty much like that, oh, and don't get me started on the Kabuki I watched with my high school teacher translating it.

Jack Squat
2009-10-02, 10:55 PM
The buckteeth is actually more often used for Chinese and Vietnamese stereotyping.

True, but it was used in the WWII era Looney Tunes, so the stereotype did get some popular appeal towards the Japanese as well.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-10-02, 11:44 PM
True, but it was used in the WWII era Looney Tunes, so the stereotype did get some popular appeal towards the Japanese as well.

And that's why I said, "more often", thereby acknowledging it's use for racism against the Japanese, but still stating what it is normally used for.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-03, 12:22 AM
McFarlane shows are like roaches =P

you mean rabbits. =P

TheSummoner
2009-10-03, 01:54 AM
No, rabbits are cute, make good pets, and are fairly easy to kill.

McFarlane shows are disgusting, dirty, and never f****** die. =P

zyphyr
2009-10-03, 02:14 AM
No, rabbits are cute, make good pets, and are fairly easy to kill.

They taste good too.

McFarlane shows are disgusting, dirty, and never f****** die.

They killed one once. It returned as a zombie, and now it is spreading.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-03, 02:24 AM
McFarlane shows are disgusting, dirty, and never f****** die. =P

can I sig this?

Pwetty pwease?

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-03, 02:53 AM
My thoughts exactly.

A bit late I know, but I don't really see anything wrong with that trailer.

edit: Maybe I should clarify. That last one-liner was bad. Though I don't really see a problem in having that kind of character running around.

Lord Seth
2009-10-03, 01:40 PM
McFarlane shows are disgusting, dirty, and never f****** die. =PFamily Guy was good until they brought it back. Actually, I think it was still good in season four (if not as good) but really went downhill afterwards.

TheSummoner
2009-10-03, 06:29 PM
It was definatly watchable before the cancellation/comeback. I wouldn't put it anywhere near on par with Simpsons... KotH... Futurama... South Park... etc, but it was watchable.

Feel free to sig it, but maybe you should include a bit about the roaches too so its clear that I was talking about... maybe...

"McFarlane shows are like roaches [they're] disgusting, dirty, and never f****** die."

Lord Seth
2009-10-03, 09:41 PM
It was definatly watchable before the cancellation/comeback. I wouldn't put it anywhere near on par with Simpsons... KotH... Futurama... South Park... etc, but it was watchable.I think Family Guy at its best was actually better than all of those shows; at any rate, it made me laugh more. It was definitely better than King of the Hill, because King of the Hill (at least from the episodes that I saw) is quite possibly the most bland show I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong: It wasn't a bad show. It wasn't a good show either. There is no adjective I can think of to describe that show other than "bland" or any synonyms of bland. I can't think of a single thing I like or dislike about King of the Hill; it's practically the definition of average.

On the other hand, Family Guy at its worst is definitely worse than those other shows at their worst. It literally went from being what I consider to be one of the funniest shows ever to being one of the least funny shows I've seen recently.

What's funny is that a lot of times I saw people say (back when Family Guy was good) that it was better than The Simpsons because it was funnier, a statement I actually agree with. But what I always thought was "well, The Simpsons, while it's had its ups and downs, has stayed fairly entertaining throughout its entire run. Family Guy only had three seasons; could they keep it up as long as The Simpsons did?" Having seen what happened to the show, I can say the answer is easy: No.

Froogleyboy
2009-10-03, 09:43 PM
Family guy and its related shows have to be the worst abominations I have ever witnessed. It makes the playground seem sane

Mewtarthio
2009-10-03, 09:53 PM
But what I always thought was "well, The Simpsons, while it's had its ups and downs, has stayed fairly entertaining throughout its entire run.

Have you seen some of the more recent episodes? :smallconfused:

The worst part is, the recent movie was actually fairly funny (not as much as Simpsons at its height, but leagues beyond than the current stuff), indicating that the writers aren't really trying anymore.

Lord Seth
2009-10-03, 09:58 PM
Have you seen some of the more recent episodes? :smallconfused:Yeah, they were pretty good. Not as good as it used to be, but still pretty funny.

Robek
2009-10-03, 09:59 PM
Found this on cracked.com, made me laugh.
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt213/Katezors/flowchart.jpg?t=1244548246

Froogleyboy
2009-10-03, 10:01 PM
Found this on cracked.com, made me laugh.
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt213/Katezors/flowchart.jpg?t=1244548246

true, so true

kpenguin
2009-10-04, 11:00 PM
Ugh... why is the cut-out an actual photo? That's... stupid.

onthetown
2009-10-06, 08:52 AM
I liked Family Guy enough in the first two seasons to buy them on DVD. I still watch them every now and then; I think my fav is Stewie's first birthday.

Then I forgot about Family Guy for a few years. Then I heard it was being revived. So I watched a few episodes of the newer seasons. Every time a new Family Guy episode is on and my boyfriend makes me watch it, I put in my headphones and listen to loud music and play on my laptop until said boyfriend is finished watching the episode and allows me to change the channel.

Saw a few American Dad eps, hated them. It's just Family Guy with a lead role who's stupid in a different way.

I imagine the Cleveland Show will be the same.

I like the idea of that drinking game, except maybe take a drink for each similarity. Then we can get drunk and not fathom that we're watching Seth McFarlane shows.

The Tygre
2009-10-11, 03:18 AM
*pops fingers*

Settle down, chillins'. It's ranting time.

http://imgur.com/WSS0y.gif

Long ago and far away, in a city by the shadow of the Appalachian mountains, a young me watched a show. It was a brilliant show. A vile show. An insensitive parody of American and family values. A show that left me rolling on the floor with tears in my eyes from sheer absurdity. It brought me closer to my father, pushed me away from my dependency on my mother, and overall brought me joy like I had never known. Sometimes, late at night, I wonder what happened to that show, that Family Guy. What happened to its humorous characters and original writing? What happened to its plot and emotional value? Where did Seth McFarlane turn David Karesh and decide to hole up in his soap-box and spout the dogma of ass-hattery? There is a show called Family Guy on now, true, but it can't possibly be what I remember. It wears the skin, like some hideous broodax or shape-changer, walking by grace of the memories of its former glory alone. McFarlane doesn't have a show anymore, doesn't have a cartoon. What McFarlane has is a blog for his fanatic-liberal-atheist views with all the fervency and hypocrisy of Rush Limbaugh and all the organization and bull-headed stupidity of Timecube. That there just happens to be animations means that it's almost Shredded Moose. Almost.

That's right.

I just said that I would rather read Shredded Moose than I would watch Family Guy.

I'm personally glad King of the Hill got canceled. Don't get me wrong, I love King of the Hill. Dale Gribble is essentially one of the Apostles in my eyes. But there's a season for all things, and it was obvious that KotH was well past its own. The characters had grown stale and shoe-horned into their roles so deep they could crawl up our toe-tails without notice. The humor seemed to be stuck in a strange temporal phenomena; Bobby had been thirteen for, what? Over five or six years now? The humor seemed stuck back in the 90s, Hank back in the 1890s. Seriously, what modern businessman is still scared of the -internet-? Calling the last few episodes platitudinous is an insult to the year old Tootsie Pops I keep upstairs from last Halloween. Which really makes me sad because, like I said, I really remember when the show was good and clever and funny.

Saying that KotH, even in its later seasons, was better than current McFarlane stuff isn't saying much. It's like saying that a couple of scrapes and bruises are better than a howling god-fetus made of feces and rusty nails screaming at a blood god it may or may not believe in to please end its agony while its other three mouths variously call you 'teh gayz', vomit, and try to bite their own lips off, sometimes all at once. You can never un-see that image, by the way. And what really makes it disgusting is that this howling abomination at one point used to be the Lightbringer, and danced around the Premium Mobile singing a language so beautiful that the stars moved to dance to it.

The Simpsons used to be written by Conan O' Brian. It aired in 1987. Conan O' Brian left. It is now 2009. Marge Simpson is now appearing on the cover of Playboy.

I think that statement speaks for itself.

And now, oh goody! Another McFarlane show. Joy. You know, between Samurai Jack, Batman the Animated Series, Justice League, Pixar, and mature plot-lines like Avatar (sometimes), I was honest to God hoping that I might see Western Animation advance as a mature medium before I died. I really did. But every second Seth McFarlane is allowed to crap out a new dead baby joke that lasts five minutes, every episode the Simpsons are whored out just a little longer, every premiere with a tag-line that's basically "They're black!" pops up, I can feel myself die a little bit inside. I can feel animation actually move backwards. And somewhere, across the ocean, I can hear Japan laughing so hard they're sending tsunamis our way.

So there, that's my rant. I loved all these shows at some very recent point in my life, tried to stay strong while they fell, then finally gave up and realized that FOX's 'Animation Domination' was the equivalent of swallowing a can of lead paint, but with out the thirst-quenching guzzle.

Cracklord
2009-10-11, 03:30 AM
I like watching family guy. It makes me justified in my cynicism, my belief that a nuclear war isn't a bad idea, that the human race is devolving, and that ifI had a time machine the best thing i could do is go back to some primal shore, so when something crawls out of the sea and tries to breathe I can tell it not to bother.

The fact that people think it is hilarious is sad. No, it is terrifying. What's really sad, is it's not even bad in an intentional way. It is like Ryan Sohmer and Christopher Paolini had some lovechild that shared Sohmer's latent hypocrisy, shallow liberal sentiments and endless stream of **** jokes, and Paolini's endless stream of saying absolutely nothing at all.

So I like it. Without it, and productions like it, I would have nothing to hate. And without hate, I am nothing. But I never liked the show. I like that special brand of Golf with wide shots, instant zoom outs that make it impossible to see where the shot actually went, players you don't know and a deep monotone you can't understand far better.

Take Michael Moore. Since Obama got elected, he's disappeared, but I bet he's sitting in his house, all alone, staring at a picture of Bush and thinking of the old days. "Without Bush, my life is meaningless."

So I do not fear the Cleaveland show. Let it come.
Give me your best shot.
I can take it.

The Tygre
2009-10-11, 03:40 AM
So I do not fear the Cleaveland show.

You will be. You will be.

Nevrmore
2009-10-11, 04:31 AM
Take Michael Moore. Since Obama got elected, he's disappeared, but I bet he's sitting in his house, all alone, staring at a picture of Bush and thinking of the old days. "Without Bush, my life is meaningless."
What? Moore just released a new movie like, a month ago.

Cracklord
2009-10-11, 04:37 AM
What? Moore just released a new movie like, a month ago.

Really? Serves me right for living in Australia and not having a clue what I'm talking about.

But it's there as an analogy of my own parasitic relationship as I suck innocence and happiness out of the world with my perpetual hate then as an actual observance of events.

Fawkes
2009-10-11, 03:33 PM
Someone needs a hobby.

Gullara
2009-10-11, 03:41 PM
Family Guy was good until they brought it back. Actually, I think it was still good in season four (if not as good) but really went downhill afterwards.

I'm pretty sure Family Guy started at the bottom of the hill and then started digging a hole.

TheSummoner
2009-10-11, 03:48 PM
At the risk of getting too offtopic: Michael Moore's life was always meaningless. A new president can't change that.

Tygre, that picture is one of the funniest things I've ever seen because its so true... I wouldn't say Family Guy started at the bottom of the hill (theres some pretty aweful shows out there, most of which have since died and been replaced by even worse crap). More like it started about a third of the way up the hill, tried to climb a little, fell down a little, caught itself, gave up and climbing, and dived off head first... then began digging like mad.

derfos
2009-10-11, 04:24 PM
That's right.

I just said that I would rather read Shredded Moose than I would watch Family Guy.
[...]
Calling the last few episodes platitudinous is an insult to the year old Tootsie Pops I keep upstairs from last Halloween. Which really makes me sad because, like I said, I really remember when the show was good and clever and funny.
[...]
Saying that KotH, even in its later seasons, was better than current McFarlane stuff isn't saying much. It's like saying that a couple of scrapes and bruises are better than a howling god-fetus made of feces and rusty nails screaming at a blood god it may or may not believe in to please end its agony while its other three mouths variously call you 'teh gayz', vomit, and try to bite their own lips off, sometimes all at once. You can never un-see that image, by the way. And what really makes it disgusting is that this howling abomination at one point used to be the Lightbringer, and danced around the Premium Mobile singing a language so beautiful that the stars moved to dance to it.
[...]
The Simpsons used to be written by Conan O' Brian. It aired in 1987. Conan O' Brian left. It is now 2009. Marge Simpson is now appearing on the cover of Playboy.
[...]
I loved all these shows at some very recent point in my life, tried to stay strong while they fell, then finally gave up and realized that FOX's 'Animation Domination' was the equivalent of swallowing a can of lead paint, but with out the thirst-quenching guzzle.

Thank you. You just made my day.