PDA

View Full Version : odd question about strip 399

Mystic Muse
2009-09-27, 08:31 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html

in it Elan says "we may not be able to get miko to beat up Nale." Does anybody else think they could easily get Miko to beat up Nale if she knew what all he did?

convincing her he actually did those things would be another matter however.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-27, 08:35 PM
Yes, but I think Miko would object to being used such by the order, despite Nale's crimes.

David Argall
2009-09-27, 09:14 PM
Miko was a cop. That means she arrests people, which can be lethal if they resist, but her duties end with putting them in jail. She would have had violent objection to just fighting somebody.

Hann
2009-09-27, 10:03 PM
I think he means it would be difficult to arrange a fight between them, not just convincing Miko to fight Nale.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-27, 10:31 PM
Though I agree, it would be fun.

hamishspence
2009-09-28, 11:37 AM
Miko is not exactly a cop.

"Paladin" can be interpreted as "Holy warrior dedicated to slaying sufficiently evil beings". the ones in SoD certainly fit- and show an alarmingly wide view as to what consists a valid target.

And Miko's reaction to Redcloak isn't "Surrender!" but "Die!" the moment she sees him.

Lecan
2009-09-28, 12:42 PM
I think he means it would be difficult to arrange a fight between them, not just convincing Miko to fight Nale.

Right, because it was so hard to get her to fight the Order (twice), Belkar, the MitD, Hinjo, Roy, or the sapphire gate. Miko's response was always 'if it disagrees with me, kill it'.

Asta Kask
2009-09-29, 02:30 AM
Though I agree, it would be fun.

Hmmm... Nale x Miko crack pairing...

Sewblon
2009-09-29, 02:38 AM
Getting Miko to beat up Nale would have been easy, all they needed to do was get her to use detect evil on him. The hard part would be ensuring that no one else got iced.

Niknokitueu
2009-09-29, 02:58 AM
Getting Miko to beat up Nale would have been easy, all they needed to do was get her to use detect evil on him.
Quoted for truth. Remember their first combat? Just tell her that nale was evil, and let her check for herself.

Though, given her track record in such things, you would forgive the giant if he had her assume that Nale had an evil item on him that masked his true alignment (just like Roy and the crown).
Meh - she is better off dead.
(I put it in a spoiler so the OP has a chance to read of her death first hand, without me spoiling it for him/her.)

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Jackson
2009-09-29, 04:09 AM
Miko was a cop. That means she arrests people, which can be lethal if they resist, but her duties end with putting them in jail. She would have had violent objection to just fighting somebody.
Yeah, that's not even remotely true. She could be curbed in by using that kind of reasoning on her (if you happened to be the one person she answered to before she decided to murder him), but she lived for killing Evil people and would often choose the fight option when she didn't need to. At one point she admits to having killed every person who registered Evil when she detected it. That's a little more killing than covered by 'which can be lethal if they resist.'

She wasn't a cop. She was something that we don't have a modern day analogy for. Sticking to that analogy is probably warping your understanding of her and her actions. But the closest modern day analogy would probably be a soldier in a poorly defined war; when she came across the enemy, she killed it unless directly ordered not to. That's not a cop's MO.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-29, 12:22 PM
Meh - she is better off dead.
(I put it in a spoiler so the OP has a chance to read of her death first hand, without me spoiling it for him/her.)

I've already read the entire comic. I re-read that one though and just had to ask. The real question though is this.

is it morally justified?:smalltongue:

just kidding.

Cleverdan22
2009-09-29, 01:42 PM
The quote seems to be taken a bit out of context here. He says that after hearing V's "gladiator arena" idea, and then coming up with his own idea for a favor from Shojo. He's basically acknowledging, as V did, that the gladiator idea is silly, and they wouldn't be able to do it, but they can do this.

Example:
"So, why is this roller coaster so hyped up? Does its trajectory manage to sling us into outer space?"

"We may not be able to touch the moon, but it does reach an elevation of 900 feet!"

Mystic Muse
2009-09-29, 01:53 PM
It is a little out of context. However I still think Miko would be all for Gladiator arena combat with A murderer of 470 some people.

Cleverdan22
2009-09-29, 01:56 PM
Maybe, but the concept itself was the ridiculous notion. They might have some trouble hooking up a gladiatorial arena for prisoners who aren't on the list. Also, if they went by obtaining it with any illegal means at all, Miko would refuse. Because she's Miko. And she is serious business.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-29, 02:06 PM
Maybe, but the concept itself was the ridiculous notion. They might have some trouble hooking up a gladiatorial arena for prisoners who aren't on the list. Also, if they went by obtaining it with any illegal means at all, Miko would refuse. Because she's Miko. And she is serious business.

quite true.

Harr
2009-09-29, 04:49 PM
It's not "We may not be able to get Miko to beat up Nale," it's "We may not be able to get Miko to beat up Nale."

As in, Miko may or may not beat up who she likes, but she sure as heck ain't gonna be listening to the OOTS about who should or shouldn't be getting beat up.

Bibliomancer
2009-09-29, 07:55 PM
It's not "We may not be able to get Miko to beat up Nale," it's "We may not be able to get Miko to beat up Nale."

As in, Miko may or may not beat up who she likes, but she sure as heck ain't gonna be listening to the OOTS about who should or shouldn't be getting beat up.

They could just drop Nale in Miko's vicinity and run away, although that could require Nale being in a position to put up a fight.

Steven the Lich
2009-09-29, 09:13 PM

Paladin... Major difference...

Also, tell those people that died of her radioactive vision... that she is meant to arrest.

But on topic. V suggested that they pit Miko and Nale against one another. That is where Elan's point comes in.

And I think Miko would be able to beat Nale...
After all, the IIRC says hes a moron.

Actually... Nale could get her focused elsewhere... "Suggestion. Go kill the Order of the Stick, they are evil."

Mystic Muse
2009-09-29, 09:40 PM
what does IIRC mean?

Steven the Lich
2009-09-29, 09:51 PM
what does IIRC mean? My bad, its the IFCC. Oops.

IIRC is, if I read correctly... "If I read correctly."

Deliverance
2009-10-01, 02:37 PM
IIRC is, if I read correctly... "If I read correctly."
Nearly - the 'R' stands for remember/recall.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-01, 11:50 PM
She probably would have killed someone for removing a mattress tag. (second to last panel) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0227.html) So, yeah she'd be more than happy to strike down Nale.

curtis
2009-10-03, 04:15 PM
Though, given her track record in such things, you would forgive the giant if he had her assume that Nale had an evil item on him that masked his true alignment (just like Roy and the crown).

Yeah, because Miko's never attacked anyone without substantial proof...

Forbiddenwar
2009-10-03, 04:19 PM
Here is the hard part of convincing Miko of anything:

Roy: Attack them, they're evil
Miko: well, since you're evil, they must be good. Just in case, I'll kill you first, then check them out. *Slash, slash, slash, slash*

Mystic Muse
2009-10-03, 05:07 PM
Yes but this would be SHOJO convincing her since he's the one who gave the tickets.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-03, 07:15 PM
Yeah, because Miko's never attacked anyone without substantial proof...

detect evil

*slash* *slash* *slash*

theinsulabot
2009-10-03, 07:19 PM
Here is the hard part of convincing Miko of anything:

Roy: Attack them, they're evil
Miko: well, since you're evil, they must be good. Just in case, I'll kill you first, then check them out. *Slash, slash, slash, slash*

correction, its miko, so its, slash, slash, slash, slash, SLASH :smallamused: