PDA

View Full Version : trying to find useful/creative things to do...

Silentlee
2009-09-27, 09:22 PM
with my 25 point buy pathfinder rogue, a few dozen needles, ...and other random low level items...

Tyndmyr
2009-09-27, 09:34 PM
Needles, eh? I enjoy the use of fishhooks in quantity, myself. Not sure if any actual rules exist anywhere, but with a little creativity(and, if available, sovereign glue), you can make some truly terrifying traps/weapons/other rube goldberg creations. Needles are probably about the same.

Also, they make good shrapnel if anything explosive is available.

Silentlee
2009-09-27, 10:01 PM
..land is run by critters who took over a bit ago after the PC races got lazy....

so all the PC races(elf, dwarf, halfings, human, gnome, half-elfs) at the age of adult hood have to go to a census to be sorted by the now rulers of the land....10 years of solid service....

at the census you get....

fishing hook/30 feet of fishing line
hunting knife
2 yards of canvas
three empty sacks
12 candles
flint/steel
common lantern
4 points of oil
waterskin
iron pot
metal tankard
5 sewing needles(i have a few dozen after trading the weapons we get also..of which i don't use...to other players)
empty pouch
2 d6 healing pots

get creative OOTS FORUM!

gdiddy
2009-09-27, 10:08 PM
Best trap I've ever seen players make consisted of Ten foot pole coated with sovereign glue. They slapped it lengthwise on the bare back of a Kender that was following them and ran down a staircase.
:smallfrown:
Poor little guy. The rest of his life was a 3 Stooges skit.

Tyndmyr
2009-09-27, 10:11 PM
Well, the obvious use for oil is for the lanterns. The slightly more creative uses are as follows: Fire, and lubrication.

If you wear any sort of armor, try rigging up your needles so they point out of the front of it. This is probably *much* easier to do with leather or cloth armor. If you can talk your DM into it, it'd be similar to armor spikes, dealing a bit of damage to your opponent when grappled.

If you don't have any sort of armor, you can start by using the canvas to make some. A craft check will likely be involved here, albeit a relatively easy one, given the cost.

The fishing line is your basic trap making material. With that and some logs(or even just using it as a noose...doubled or tripled up if need be), you can use that for surprising someone or something. Obviously, this isn't going to be a terribly high CR trap, but from this sort of gear, it strikes me as a relatively low powered campaign.

Alternative use for canvas is to get together with a couple other players, make a wooden frame, and use the canvas to make a boat. If someone has significant craft skills, it's possible to make a collapsible boat for easy packing, but if not, a regular ol' lightweight watercraft has it's uses too.

Canvas(and the sacks, if a suitable material) can also be used to make a water still if you find yourself lost, and needing to make survival checks.

Your unimportant items that you can trade off are as follows: The tankard(you have a drinking pouch, which is handier for travel anyhow), an extra sack or two. I'm guessing that you haven't got terribly high strength, being a rogue, so there's no point carrying more sacks than you could reasonably carry if full. And good call on trading off the weapons.

Silentlee
2009-09-27, 10:37 PM
its not a low powered campaign

its just that the critters running the land take good stuff away...

except each PC was given one magic item at the start...stuff hidden away or not found to be useful by the orc overseers....mine was a set of boots of striding left to me by my pops after he was yanked into the census.....halfings should always wear boots of striding.

PinkysBrain
2009-09-27, 10:53 PM
You can always break the needles and put them inside food for someone you really hate ... but unless you have a specific problem to solve I don't think there is much to be done with that stuff.

The oil burns, the knife stabs ... that's about it :)

PS. oh and if your party weaves the fishing ropes you can probably convince your DM you get something strong enough to climb up, can even use the pot as an improvised grappling hook ... but it will be noisy.

Paulus
2009-09-27, 11:11 PM
What is the goal? What are we creating for?
Trap? weapon? fool your friends? What are you trying to achieve through means of ingenuity!?

Silentlee
2009-09-27, 11:15 PM
to murderificate the baddies...and make the party go "cool"

Paulus
2009-09-28, 12:15 AM
to murderificate the baddies...and make the party go "cool"

Ah well murdification engineer that I am…

Here is what you do.
First make a fire with your flint and steel.
Melt down your candles in your Iron pot.
Melt down all of your needles into your tankard, save one.
While this is happening cobble together five sticks the length of your forearm, and six the width of it. Tie these together in a grid, with the fifth long stick in the middle, with your fishing line.
Dig a long line in the ground, about the size of your middle digit, fill this line with the molten metal of your needles in a roughly triangular shape.
Once it cools, take out your new long needle and tie it roughly to the fifth middle stick.
Dig a hole in the ground that is roughly 1 inch deep and rectangular, to form a plate that would fit on your forearm. Fill this hole with the wax.
Submerge the grid with needle point first in the plate of wax.
Wait for it to cool.
Dig it all up, wrap it in layers of canvas you cut up with your hunting knife, to pad it and keep it together. Strap it to your forearm with the cut up sacks and further fishing line, and you now have a punching dagger. Or an improvised buckler!

Or modify this to make a hammer, but seeing as how clubs, quarter staffs, and slings are free, I dunno why you’d want to.

Use the Rest of the fishing line for your general snares, the rest of the canvas stuffed with grass or dirt, sewn into pockets with your lone needle to make improvised padded armor. Until you can get hide or bark armor. Use you iron pot as a helmet, your metal tankard to hold all of your stuff at your side, and the lantern to see what you’re killing. And the healing potions to stop what your killing from killing you. Use your punching dagger and hunting knife interchangeably.

This... This is about all I got. As far as low level stuff goes. The punch dagger or hammer was about all I could come up with weapon wise, until you got better. And armor. But I don’t know your race, feats, or skills, or what build or class you are going for so I had to generalize. Seeing as how you wanted to use mundane items for murdenating and gave away all your weapons in exchange for needles. I would have gone with rogue, or monk. And seeing as how if you were playing a monk you wouldn’t need much improvised weapons for murdernating, I went with rogue. And a rogue can sneak attack with a punching dagger or your hunting knife quiet well.

Really there just isn’t enough material to do anything beyond that without going for outside sources of wood, or metal. And in which case you can just get a quarterstaff, a wooden shield, and maybe club, or sling until you rack up enough kills to get better stuff.
Really I’d need more info for what you are trying to do. There are endless possibilities for using this stuff, but we’d need a problem to solve to think of them. Otherwise you are just asking us what we could do with it all and the only answer is ‘anything!’ and then you say ‘well like what?’ and we say ‘well like for what?’ and you say “killing’ and we say. ‘killing what? How many? What level? What equipment? What class? What feats? What skills? Are you going for a trap? A weapon? Or…?” so you know. Throw some more info on us! thanks!