PDA

View Full Version : AoO build and Magic Items

Jace Glaekon
2009-09-27, 09:27 PM
Are there any Magic Items or Wep/Armor abilities that work well with the AoO build? I also have a Spell Storing Ring, Greater for spells. (Right now it's got a couple Find the Gaps and True Strike)

So, any suggestions would be cool as I came into a small fortune of gold (8k) that I don't know how to spend.

NullAshton
2009-09-27, 09:28 PM
Gloves of dexterity is pretty much a nobrainer if you have combat reflexes.

Keld Denar
2009-09-27, 09:36 PM
Sweeping is a +1 equiv that gives you Whirlwind Attack 3/day. Assuming you are using a reach weapon, this is situationally useful. Better than lighting 5 feats on fire, for sure! A +1 Sweeping weapon is 8000g exactly, assuming you already have a MW weapon to be upgrading.

Other than that, I wouldn't stray too far from the milk/bread/eggs of the build. +2 Dex and +2 Con seem like appropriate choices, and together cost exactly 8000g.

Thurbane
2009-09-27, 09:38 PM
Counterstrike Bracers give a free AoO when an opponent misses you in melee, 2/day. Doesn't count towards normal AoO limits.

Jace Glaekon
2009-09-27, 09:44 PM
I am using an Adamantium Greataxe, not heavily optimized I know, but a Dwarf without his Axe just strikes me as weird. I've got pretty standard stuff right now: Gauntlets of Ogre Strength and Amulet of Health +2. (If I had the financial backing to do it'd be Belt of Str +4 and the Gloves of Dex and Amulet of Health +2 until further finances fall on my lap)

I'm thinking for squeeking out some extra damage Collusion and OPA at 16th level won't be too terrible.

Edit: I know there is a Duskblade spell that I could get put into my Spell Storing Ring that would give my Greataxe +5ft to reach, would that be enough to qualify for Sweeping or does it have to be a weapon with a natural reach?

Counterstrike Bracers give a free AoO when an opponent misses you in melee, 2/day. Doesn't count towards normal AoO limits.

That's actually pretty nice, what book?

Keld Denar
2009-09-27, 09:48 PM
In that case...um, Cloak of Resistance +2 for 4k and a Third Eye: Clarity from the MIC to get you out of a stun. If you have maybe 400g after that, a pair of Anlets of Translocation are nearly invaluable for getting out of grapple, blinking into a flank, or any other assorted movement within Line of Sight, twice per day.

EDIT: Most things mentioned that you don't recognize are probably in the Magic Item Compendium (MIC). Also, you don't NEED a reach weapon to take advantage of Sweeping, but you get many more attacks out of it if you do have reach because you threaten more foes.

Jace Glaekon
2009-09-27, 10:13 PM
I just had a brain fart: Trying to look up MIC stuff in MoI so I know it's time for me to be asleep here.

I think I got the general gist: No real AoO specific items but lots of neat things that go along nicely. I had a thought that I had once seen a weapon enhancement that gives +5ft to reach, is that incorrect?

Keld Denar
2009-09-27, 10:19 PM
The MIC version of Shadowstriking does this, but only a very limited number of times per day. Probably not really that worth it...

herrhauptmann
2009-09-28, 02:03 AM
Steadfast boots (MIC) they treat you as being readied against a charge so long as you're holding a 2 handed weapon, even if that weapon can't normally be readied against a charge.
It's not really an AOO, but it can be useful if you expect to be on the receiving end of a charge every once in a while.

Person_Man
2009-09-28, 09:11 AM
What's your build?

Cieyrin
2009-09-28, 01:17 PM
If you want to keep using an axe type weapon but with the option of reach, the Long Axe from Complete Adventurer could be what you're looking for. It acts like a Greataxe right down to Weapon Focus chain being allowed to be used with one, the only difference is when you Power Attack for at least +3, you gain +5' of reach.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Jace Glaekon
2009-09-28, 04:50 PM
What's your build?

I'm not following an particular build I found the internet, just took all the AoO feats I could.

Level 6 Dwarven Fighter (1 Alt Fighter level for Wep Foc all axes)
Abilities 20, 16, 22, 14, 15, 16
Feats Power Attack, Armor Focus (Fullplate), Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Toughness, Hold the Line, and Karmic Strike

Fighter out to level 16 for Overpowering Attack than into Dwarven Defender for... pretty much just kicks.

Edit: If my DM let's me I am going to switch out a bonus feat I took later and put dodge in so I can start with Exotic Weapon Proficiency on the Longaxe.

If you want to keep using an axe type weapon but with the option of reach, the Long Axe from Complete Adventurer could be what you're looking for. It acts like a Greataxe right down to Weapon Focus chain being allowed to be used with one, the only difference is when you Power Attack for at least +3, you gain +5' of reach.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

I just got 2 coppers... But yeah, that's awesome.