PDA

View Full Version : Generic Race [3.5]

Baron Corm
2009-09-27, 09:46 PM
A race meant to go hand-in-hand with my generic class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616). The idea remains to make things simple, organized, and balanced. With everyone having the same options, no one can complain.

You may be thinking, this system will result in a mishmosh of races that have no place in the campaign setting whatsoever. For this reason, players of a particular race may be stuck with certain abilities as a base, and then given the option to customize from there. For example, the DM may decide all elves trance instead of sleep, have heightened senses, and Weapon Familiarity with their racial weapons. This still leaves the player 10 RP to do with as he chooses. He might get 10 foot faster land speed, the Spell Focus feat, or Dexterity/Charisma affinity, if his DM makes him stay true to the archetype of an elf. The player could even claim to be a feral sort of elf and get Scent or a natural bite weapon. It's really all in how you dress it.

In this system, the rate of gaining ability bonuses and feats is different. Any time you would get an A or C ability, you also gain a feat (yay, 1 extra feat!). Any time you would get an A or D ability, you also get an ability score bonus.

I'm sure I have left out some racial features of some race somewhere, so let me know what they are so that I can add them in. Feedback would also be appreciated on the point values of each item.

Players have 15 RP (race points) available to create their race with. If using the generic class, AP can be traded for RP at a 1:3 ratio to represent level adjustment without actual loss of levels, although beware that this can easily lead to minmaxing.

All bonuses are racial bonuses.

1 RP

Trancing for 4 hours instead of sleeping, half required daily intake of food, the Amphibious special quality, or the Hold Breath ability.

Low-light vision.

A type other than humanoid. This buys you just the type change. Any other benefits from being that type must be bought with RP. To make this transition easier, I recommend using my modified types (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126428).

+1 to a skill. Maximum +4 to any single skill. A small size creature cannot add to his Hide skill.

One Level 0 SLA usable 1/day, with a caster level equal to 1/4 your character level, minimum 1.

A weak unique racial power, such as an elf's ability to detect hidden doors, or a dwarf's ability to move normally in heavy armor (reduce base speed 10 feet for taking this).

3 RP

+1 to attack rolls/AC/DCs/saving throws against a general or common thing (humanoids, spells from the illusion school, poison, while underground, while in temperatures below -20F). Maximum +2 bonus. This bonus is doubled every time you gain a D ability.

+2 to any other type of ability check or opposed check against a general or common thing. Maximum +4 bonus. This bonus is doubled every time you gain a D ability.

Darkvision 60 feet.

Lack of eating, breathing, sleeping, or aging. You can pick two for 5 RP, or all four for 6 RP.

Scent.

One Level 0 SLA usable 3/day, with a caster level equal to half your character level, minimum 1.

One Level 1 SLA usable 1/day, with a caster level equal to 1/4 your character level, minimum 1.

A minor unique racial power, such as an illumian's sigils.

5 RP

Ability affinity. This means that you get a +2 bonus to this ability score at first level, and a +1 bonus to it every time you gain an A ability.

A "weak" bonus feat, such as Spell Focus or Endurance.

+1 to attack rolls with melee weapons, ranged weapons, or spells, +1 natural armor, +1 to a specific ability DC, or +1 to all saving throws. Maximum +1 bonus. This bonus is doubled every time you gain a D ability.

+2 to any other type of ability check or opposed check. Maximum +2 bonus. This bonus is doubled every time you gain a D ability.

One Level 0 SLA usable at-will, with a caster level equal to your character level.

One Level 1 SLA usable 3/day, with a caster level equal to half your character level, minimum 1.

One Level 2 SLA usable 1/day, with a caster level equal to 1/4 your character level, minimum 1.

A climb or swim speed equal to your base land speed.

A natural weapon which deals appropriate damage for your size and deals normal critical hits.

10 feet faster base land speed (base is 30 feet).

Small size and 10 feet slower base land speed.

Large size.

Blindsense 30 feet. You must state which sense grants this blindsense, so that you can be blinded if it is negated.

A substantial unique racial ability, such as the killoren's Manifest Nature's Might or a spellscale's Blood Quickening.

10 RP

A burrow speed equal to half your base land speed.

A fly speed equal to your base land speed, gained slowly over your first 5 HD, as a raptoran.

A "significant" bonus feat, such as Power Attack or a metamagic feat.

A natural weapon which deals 2 die sizes higher than normal damage for your size or has its critical threat range or multiplier increased by 1.

One Level 1 SLA usable at-will, with a caster level equal to your character level.

One Level 2 SLA usable 3/day, with a caster level equal to half your character level, minimum 1.

One Level 3 SLA usable 1/day, with a caster level equal to 1/4 your character level, minimum 1.

Blindsight 30 feet. You must state which sense grants this blindsight, so that you can be blinded if it is negated.

A powerful unique racial ability, such as a minotaur's Natural Cunning or a goliath's Powerful Build.

Flaws

Some races have flaws. Mostly it's underground races hating bright lights. Bestowing additional RP for these mostly inconsequential flaws would facilitate minmaxing, so I'm not going to do that. Since the flaws tend to not have much mechanical effect, but do add a coolness factor and help distinguish races from one another, these flaws could be kept for players of those base races. This is, however, at the option of the DM. If you don't want the bookkeeping hassle, don't bother. Note that ability score penalties were not included in the generic race, either. You can, if you wish, give each race a -2 penalty to their usual stat.

Recommended Base Races

A race that has a minor ability in its base can spend RP to upgrade that to a better one. This applies to, for example, SLAs and feats.

Human

Human Base (10 RP):

- Significant bonus feat.

Human Recommended:

- Anything not too monstrous.

Dwarf

Dwarf Base (7 RP):

- Dwarf movement thing.
- Dwarf unusual stonework thing (not including skill bonuses).
- Constitution affinity.

Dwarf Recommended:

- Saving throw vs spells.
- Attack bonus vs big people.
- Saving throw vs poison.
- Craft or Appraise bonus.
- Weapon Familiarity.

Elf

Elf Base (5 RP):

- Elf hidden door thing.
- Trance.
- Weapon Familiarity.

Elf Recommended:

- 10 feet faster movement speed.
- Dexterity, Intelligence, or Charisma affinity.
- SLA.
- Low-light vision.
- Lack of aging.
- Skill bonuses.

Gnome

Gnome Base (6 RP):

- Small size.
- Level 0 SLA usable 1/day.

Gnome Recommended:

- Constitution, Intelligence, or Charisma affinity.
- Illusion DC/saving throw bonus.
- Bluff/Appraise/Craft bonus.
- Weapon Familiarity.
- More SLAs.

Half-Elf

Half-Elf Base (6 RP):

- Minor bonus feat.
- Elf hidden door thing.

Half-Elf Recommended:

Any, especially those on the elf list.

Half-Orc

Half-Orc Base (5 RP):

- Strength affinity.

Half-Orc Recommended:

Any, especially monstrous ones.

Halfling

Halfling Base (10 RP):

- Small size.
- Dexterity affinity.

Halfling Recommended:

- Skill bonuses.
- Saving throw bonuses.
- Attack bonus with a specific weapon.

Gnoll

Gnoll Base (7 RP):

- Claw attack
- +2 Listen

Gnoll Recommended:

- Darkvision
- Strength affinity
- Constitution affinity
- Listen or Spot bonuses
- Natural armor
- Claw or bite attack

Goblin

Goblin Base (9 RP):

- Small size
- +4 Move Silently

Goblin Recommended:

- Darkvision
- Dexterity affinity
- Ride bonus

Hobgoblin

Hobgoblin Base (5 RP):

- Constitution affinity

Hobgoblin Recommended:

- Darkvision
- Move Silently bonus
- Bonus feat

Kobold

Kobold Base (8 RP):

- Small size
- Darkvision

Kobold Recommended:

- Attack rolls vs gnomes
- Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner), or Search bonuses
- Natural armor
- Dexterity affinity
- Claw attack
- Slight build

Lizardfolk

Lizardfolk Base (6 RP):

- Bite attack
- Hold Breath

Lizardfolk Recommended:

- Claw or bite attack
- Strength affinity
- Constitution affinity
- Natural armor

Minotaur

Minotaur Base (10 RP):

- Strength affinity
- Gore attack

Minotaur Recommended:

- Natural Cunning
- Large size
- Constitution affinity
- Natural armor
- Powerful Charge

Ogre

Ogre Base (15 RP):

- Large size
- Strength affinity
- Constitution affinity

Ogre Recommended:

-

Jallorn
2009-09-27, 09:55 PM
Haven't finished reading, but as a fan of your generic class, I'm very interested.

Lappy9000
2009-09-27, 10:04 PM
This looks pretty cool. I would suggest specifying some of the abilities (things like the feats; what constitutes a "weak feat"?)

Baron Corm
2009-09-27, 10:24 PM
This looks pretty cool. I would suggest specifying some of the abilities (things like the feats; what constitutes a "weak feat"?)

Hmm I might need help on that one. Should I say that it's a feat which gives a small, static bonus to something? It's just so hard to encompass all weak or strong feats within a sentence or two.

Mythestopheles
2009-09-28, 10:03 PM
Hmm I might need help on that one. Should I say that it's a feat which gives a small, static bonus to something? It's just so hard to encompass all weak or strong feats within a sentence or two.

Maybe something to do with the prequisites? Weak feats have no/low prequisites, strong feats are the ones with higher prequisites.

deuxhero
2009-09-28, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't take Whirlwind attack if it was a single feat, let alone...I think 6 feats with no synergy.

Athaniar
2009-09-29, 11:31 AM
Ooh, a generic race. I really like the generic class, and this one looks pretty good as well. I'll mix up some races of my own later.

Baron Corm
2009-09-29, 12:08 PM
That would be great, to help me see out how it all plays out. If you want to make the base races for non-PHB races that would be nice too :smallwink:

Athaniar
2009-09-29, 02:40 PM
Some Monster Manual races, tell me what you think:

Gnoll

Gnoll Base (8 RP):
Darkvision
Minor Strength affinity

Gnoll Recommended:
Minor Constitution affinity
+ Listen or Spot
Natural armor
Claw attack

Goblin

Goblin Base (7 RP):
Small size
+2 Move Silently

Goblin Recommended:
Darkvision
Minor Dexterity affinity
+ Move Silently or Ride

Hobgoblin

Hobgoblin Base (7 RP):
+2 Move Silently

Hobgoblin Recommended:
Darkvision
Minor Strength Affinity
+ Move Silenlty

Kobold

Kobold Base (8 RP):
Small size
Darkvision

Kobold Recommended:
+ attack rolls vs gnomes
+ Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner), or Search
Natural armor
Minor Dexterity affinity
Claw attack

Lizardfolk

Lizardfolk Base (5 RP):
+2 Swim and Balance
Hold Breath

Lizardfolk Recommended:
Claw or Bite attack
Minor Strength affinity
+ Swim, Balance, or Jump
Natural armor

Minotaur

Minotaur Base (10 RP):
Minor Strength affinity
Gore attack

Minotaur Recommended:
Natural Cunning
Minor Strength affinity
Large size
Darkvision
Natural armor
Greataxe proficiency
+ Search, Spot, or Listen
Powerful Charge

Ogre

Ogre Base (10 RP):
Large size
Minor Strength affinity

Ogre Recommended:
Major Strength affinity (replacing minor affinity)
Darkvision
+Climb, Listen, or Spot
Greatclub proficiency

Amadi
2009-09-29, 02:47 PM
Powerful Build is TWICE as hard to get as Large Size. :smallamused:

I'd take Large Size, Natural Bite and +2 Strength, thank you. I'm off to enjoy my 20ft reach with my chain lash, and my three attacks at level 1. :smallamused:

Baron Corm
2009-09-29, 03:28 PM
Powerful Build is TWICE as hard to get as Large Size. :smallamused:

Yes, there are definitely some issues with this. Like how +1 natural armor costs the same as +7 (eventually) to Dexterity, which grants armor and then some. I need to either tweak the costs or make other things scaling.

I'd take Large Size, Natural Bite and +2 Strength, thank you. I'm off to enjoy my 20ft reach with my chain lash, and my three attacks at level 1. :smallamused:

How are you getting three attacks again? And note that your bite attack only has 10 ft reach, and also that the spiked chain requires a feat to obtain. I'm not against such combos if you have to work for it and sacrifice other things.

@Lord Xavius: Those look pretty good, though I don't really like the minotaur. I can't imagine one without large size, Strength, or a gore attack. I suppose it's doomed to either take all three or a level adjustment. Level adjustment, in this case, representing a gain of RP and a loss of AP. I added this into the generic class thread but should probably have mentioned it here.

Edit: Fixed things up a bit. Made some bonuses scaling, took out the 1-cost specific bonuses, because those fall prey to favored enemy-esque balancing issues. I think I'm leaving Powerful Build as costing twice as much as Large Size, because it lets you keep your smaller space, and doesn't give a penalty to attack and AC. It's debatable whether or not it's worth it.

Lappy9000
2009-09-29, 05:49 PM
Powerful Build is TWICE as hard to get as Large Size. :smallamused: Well, in a lot of ways, Powerful Build is better 'cause it gets most of the benefits, but none of the penalties.

deuxhero
2009-09-29, 06:13 PM
Hmm, 25 "point" buy.

Large (5)
+2 strength (5)
Powerful Build (10)
Enlarge person 3/day (5)
Seems powerful.

Oh, can you give an SRD example of a "minor unique racial power"

Well, in a lot of ways, Powerful Build is better 'cause it gets most of the benefits, but none of the penalties.

That is a good point, what good does large get that powerful build doesn't.

Kroy
2009-09-29, 06:36 PM
First off it's 15 point buy. Second, would weapon finesse be weak or strong?

deuxhero
2009-09-29, 06:37 PM
Oh, misread that.

You can still take large+powerful build.

Lappy9000
2009-09-29, 06:37 PM
That is a good point, what good does large get that powerful build doesn't.Large gets reach and both abilities give a +4 bonus to grapple (in addition to opposed size checks, ability to wield Large-sized weapons). However, Large also gets a -1 to armor class, -1 to attack, -4 to Hide, and typically takes up more space, which can make it easier for enemies to gang up on a single combatant. Powerful Build is only considered to be large whenever it is "advantageous."

However, some people consider the reach alone to be powerful enough to warrant a level adjustment. Something about Large-sized spike chains and polearms :smallsigh:

deuxhero
2009-09-29, 06:43 PM
Why does actual large size get +4 grapple but powerful build doesn't?

Lappy9000
2009-09-29, 06:48 PM
Why does actual large size get +4 grapple but powerful build doesn't?
See the quote :smalltongue:

Large gets reach and both abilities give a +4 bonus to grappleAlthough technically, Powerful Build doesn't give a static bonus; the creature is considered to be one size larger. From Medium to Large, that's +4.

deuxhero
2009-09-29, 06:49 PM
Then why did you put it there?

Jallorn
2009-09-29, 06:50 PM
You can make a race with a +6 to any stat at first level that jumps 2 every time you get a B ability. Of course, that's all you can get with that combo, but it's not bad. Especially if you put it towards say Int for a wizard... or Wis for a druid...

Sorry, jumps once on B abilities and once on C abilities. Still.

Lappy9000
2009-09-29, 06:50 PM
Then why did you put it there?...because I listed the bonuses that both Large and Powerful Build shared? :smallconfused:

...and because you asked the question?

Jallorn
2009-09-29, 07:07 PM
Baron, I'm going to make a character (minus items) with generic class and race. 28 point buy, in case you wanna balance others against it.

deuxhero
2009-09-29, 07:28 PM
Let's try this again.

Tiefling
Outsider (1)
Minor afinity +2 int or +2 dex. (5)
+2 hide (2)
+2 bluff (2)
Darkvision (3)
Darkness 1/day (3)
comes to... 16, close enough.

Oh, RAW and Q&A offical, outsider (even without outsider HD) gives you all martial weapons, 1 point vs .

Baron Corm
2009-09-29, 10:32 PM
Oh, can you give an SRD example of a "minor unique racial power"

I don't think there are any in the SRD.

Second, would weapon finesse be weak or strong?

I would call Weapon Finesse strong, or "significant". I'm tempted to call "weak" ones "small, static bonuses", but that still leaves things like 5 foot reach or +4 caster level. What makes Practiced Spellcaster more significant than Endurance? A lot of things... possibly best to continue leaving this up to DM judgement.

You can make a race with a +6 to any stat at first level that jumps 2 every time you get a B ability. Of course, that's all you can get with that combo, but it's not bad. Especially if you put it towards say Int for a wizard... or Wis for a druid...

Sorry, jumps once on B abilities and once on C abilities. Still.

True. And hey, if everyone is doing this kind of minmaxing, it's fine. But if only one player is, it's up to the DM to say "no". Now, I'm not sure if this is a cop-out, or if I could actually reduce minmaxing in this system somehow. I'll think about it.

Baron, I'm going to make a character (minus items) with generic class and race. 28 point buy, in case you wanna balance others against it.

Should be useful and interesting.

Let's try this again.

Tiefling
Outsider (1)
Minor afinity +2 int or +2 dex. (5)
+2 hide (2)
+2 bluff (2)
Darkvision (3)
Darkness 1/day (3)
comes to... 16, close enough.

Oh, RAW and Q&A offical, outsider (even without outsider HD) gives you all martial weapons, 1 point vs .

That seems to work out pretty well. Since darkness is actually a 2nd level spell, you could sacrifice 1 AP to have it work out perfectly. This could be one of those cases where it's ok.

When I wrote down a change of type, I meant just that, no other bonuses from changed type. Each additional facet of that type would require you to spend RP. I'll clarify that. In my game, I wouldn't give all outsiders martial proficiency or require them to buy it, though. I would require undead to buy a bunch of their type benefits with copious amounts of RP. This particular aspect of the system works particularly well with the changes to types (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126428) I recently proposed :smallsmile:

Even with this, 1 RP is cheap for the alter self abuse you can do. Or getting epic feats as a dragon or whatever. For non-munchkins though, it's mostly a flavor thing. I decided to leave it up to the DM once again to reign in his powergamers.

Edit: Jallorn, I just happened upon that thread you made for a campaign using the generic class. The character Lyndworm made filled my heart with joy. Too bad it never got off the ground. I'm also a little curious how his fleshraker is so ungodly powerful. If he did it right, I probably have some balance issues there. See, statting out characters does help.

deuxhero
2009-09-29, 11:05 PM
Some lists have Darkness as a 1st level spell and some feel it isn't even worth that.

Baron Corm
2009-09-30, 10:25 AM
Some lists have Darkness as a 1st level spell and some feel it isn't even worth that.

You could pick a 2nd level [darkness] spell instead, then, to make it fit.

Jallorn
2009-09-30, 11:07 PM
Also, my advice for your generic class is to not allow people to give up abilities (A, B, whatever) for an equivalent amount of AP as it costs to get extras. Makes Min-maxing a lot easier.

Zovc
2009-10-01, 01:12 PM
Is 1 AP worth 3 RP or the other way around?

Baron Corm
2009-10-01, 03:12 PM
Also, my advice for your generic class is to not allow people to give up abilities (A, B, whatever) for an equivalent amount of AP as it costs to get extras. Makes Min-maxing a lot easier.

Hm I saw this comment on the class thread. I think you should look a little farther up on that page for a pretty good discussion on it, heh. We ended up deciding the same thing.

Is 1 AP worth 3 RP or the other way around?

AP can be traded for RP at a 1 AP to 3 RP ratio. AP is generally better, because 10 or so of it can buy you a whole new ability. One such ability gives you three feats, while 10 RP buys you one feat. That's where the numbers come from.

Zovc
2009-10-01, 03:55 PM
AP can be traded for RP at a 1 AP to 3 RP ratio. AP is generally better, because 10 or so of it can buy you a whole new ability. One such ability gives you three feats, while 10 RP buys you one feat. That's where the numbers come from.

For the record, +14 to an ability score is pretty significant. That's only 10RP.

I'm not too sure the ability affinities should scale, nothing else really seems to.

Baron Corm
2009-10-02, 06:25 PM
For the record, +14 to an ability score is pretty significant. That's only 10RP.

I'm not too sure the ability affinities should scale, nothing else really seems to.

Actually, everything numerical scales, except for skill point bonuses. Everything else could be considered "tactical advantages". Consider this: If you were fighting a ranged attacker, would you really prefer Powerful Build (reach), flight (get there better), or gobs of Strength?

Further, I think most races would get one ability bonus, and if everyone's getting it, it can't be unbalanced.

Draz74
2009-10-03, 01:33 AM
Consider this: If you were fighting a ranged attacker, would you really prefer Powerful Build (reach), flight (get there better), or gobs of Strength?

Powerful Build doesn't get you reach (unless I missed a change from the standard Powerful Build ability).

You won't always be fighting ranged attackers.

+14 to an ability score by Level 20 is indeed ridiculously good.

Milskidasith
2009-10-03, 10:00 AM
Also, the AP to RP trade is pretty messed up. For 5 AP you can have a race with +14 to three abilities, giving you 20 AP to do other stuff (In my Uber Psion (see the class thread), I only burned 2 AP for +14 to Con and Int, but it's the same deal.)

Also, a feat, no matter how good (or just a bonus feat), is not worth +14 to an ability score. Hell, even your strength example, the worst possible one, is still good if you have a sling or some thrown weapons. When you consider you can get +14s to your casting stats... it's absurd.

So my suggestion is to tone down/don't scale the racial ability bonuses, to lower the amount of RP you get for AP, and probably to lower the amount of RP you get by a sizable amount, because, well, humans are a very strong LA 0 race and they're 10 AP (actually more since you didn't factor in the skill point. >_>)

Jallorn
2009-10-03, 11:13 AM
I thought it was trade 3 AP for 1 RP...

Baron Corm
2009-10-03, 01:02 PM
Powerful Build doesn't get you reach (unless I missed a change from the standard Powerful Build ability).

Meh... I'm AFB right now.

Also, the AP to RP trade is pretty messed up. For 5 AP you can have a race with +14 to three abilities, giving you 20 AP to do other stuff (In my Uber Psion (see the class thread), I only burned 2 AP for +14 to Con and Int, but it's the same deal.)

Well, yes, that's just about the most you can abuse the system. The AP to RP trading is really only meant to simulate a race with level adjustment, not to make your character better. It shouldn't be used in 99% of situations. You also chose only ability bonuses, which are currently not all that balanced. If you had picked some of the other traits, it might have been. That being said, the rate may be too generous, so if you have a better suggestion, let me know.

So my suggestion is to tone down/don't scale the racial ability bonuses, to lower the amount of RP you get for AP, and probably to lower the amount of RP you get by a sizable amount, because, well, humans are a very strong LA 0 race and they're 10 AP (actually more since you didn't factor in the skill point. >_>)

Humans would get the bonus feat and minor Intelligence affinity. This makes them work out perfectly, except that some classes get a little boost. The real problem here is just the ability affinities. I didn't want them to be just a +2 bonus, because that's really insignificant at level 20. For 5 cost, you can also get +3 to attack or DCs, which remains significant at that level. The ability bonus is strictly better than the +3 to attack, but I was thinking that if every race got an ability bonus, it wouldn't matter. I'm rethinking that now.

I'm thinking of changing it to give you a bonus each time you get an A ability, to top out at +5, and doing away with the 10 RP cost affinity. That one was meant to simulate races which would normally get a +4 to that ability, but I guess it's not balanced under this system. Do you think this would make things better?

Athaniar
2009-10-03, 05:23 PM
An idea: can this generic race be used to create templates?

Draz74
2009-10-04, 12:14 AM
I'm thinking of changing it to give you a bonus each time you get an A ability, to top out at +5, and doing away with the 10 RP cost affinity. That one was meant to simulate races which would normally get a +4 to that ability, but I guess it's not balanced under this system. Do you think this would make things better?

Sounds pretty reasonable.

Baron Corm
2009-10-04, 11:48 AM
An idea: can this generic race be used to create templates?

By giving some extra RP in exchange for... I'm not sure what. If it's not done at first level, you can't take AP away. Is this what you meant or did you have another idea?

Generally, a PC can gain a template by using the Transformation C ability, while a monster can just be given it. In those situations where it's appropriate for the PC to gain the entire template immediately, you could perhaps take AP away from him and re-do his core stats, explaining it as a side-effect of the sudden and drastic change.

Temotei
2009-10-24, 02:19 AM
When you say, "Any time you would get an A or C ability, you also gain a feat (yay, 1 extra feat!). Any time you would get an A or D ability, you also get an ability score bonus." Does this mean at 1st level, you get a feat and an ability score bonus?

Solaris
2009-10-24, 02:40 AM
Gnarly idea, Baron. Very gnarly indeed.