PDA

View Full Version : Were Creature creation Question

Daveo
2009-09-27, 11:51 PM
I'm Looking for alternative were-creatuers. I currently have a halfling afflicted by a weretiger bit. He is to small to become one, so I picked out leopard as the base creature. I'm looking for how to work out the bonus or being a were-creature. The site i found didn't really seem right considering that there were some differences in ECL's and skills.

I used the hd advancement on the leopard, with skills and copy'ed the were tiger bonus stats so far. I just want to know if i should consider shifting the bonus stat points abit.

This is the site. If any one can help that would be great.
http://furrydnd.tribe.net/thread/fa8ea811-d5d0-4a3e-a4d2-ff36251241fd

KillianHawkeye
2009-09-28, 08:03 AM
Forget the stats for a tiger. They are completely different from a leopard's.

Here's a little run down of what the template gives you:

You gain the leopard's Hit Dice, which is only 3d8 (as opposed to the 6d8 of a tiger). You apply your improved Con mod to your Animal Hit Dice and your normal Con mod to you Hit Dice from class levels, so you end up having the same hp in whatever form you take.

You gain 2 + your Int modifier skill points for each of your 3 animal HD. The leopard's class skills are Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot.

You gain a +2 to your natural armor in all forms. You use the better of the two values when in hybrid form (the leopard's +1 with +2 added = +3 total).

You gain the leopard's natural bite, claw, and rake attacks when in animal form. You only gain the bite and claws when in hybrid form. You also gain the leopard's Improved Grab and Pounce special attacks, but only while in animal form.

You add the leopard's +2 Base Attack Bonus to your BAB from class levels.

You add the leopard's Base Saving Throws (+3 Fort, +3 Reflex, +1 Will) to your Base Saves from class levels.

You gain Curse of Lycanthropy, Alternate Form, Damage Reduction, Lycanthropic Empathy, Low-light Vision, and Scent. These all operate in whatever form you choose (except Damage Reduction, which you don't get in humanoid form).

You gain the leopard's Alertness and Weapon Finesse feats. If you already possess one or more of these, then the gain is wasted.

You gain a +2 to your Wisdom score. While in animal or hybrid form, you gain the leopard's physical ability score modifiers (+6 Str, +8 Dex, +4 Con).

Finally, you gain a Level Adjustment of +2 or +3, depending on whether you are an afflicted lycanthrope or a natural one. An afflicted lycanthrope gains less Damage Reduction, and must use the Control Shape skill to voluntarily change forms. Your total ECL becomes your class levels +5 or +6 (your LA plus the 3 animal HD).

Needless to say, creating a were-creature from scratch is a somewhat complicated process, but I believe I covered everything. :smallamused:

GallóglachMaxim
2009-09-28, 08:20 AM
(I'm not completely sure of what you're asking for, so if this isn't the right kind of answer, let me know)

Instructions for making a Lycanthrope character can be found here http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm or in the Monster Manual if you have it. The +ECL listed on that site you linked is slightly misleading as lycanthropes have bonus HD and Level Adjustment, both of which contribute to their ECL for different reasons.

Which stats you add bonuses to depends on how you want the character to end up, a leopard's highest bonus is in Dex, whereas a tiger, even an unusually small one, would probably still have higher Str. If you want to play it as a medium-sized tiger, you could either use the leopard's stats but switch Dex and Str (and exchange the leopard's Weapon Finesse for the tiger's Improved Natural Attack) or you could use the Changes to Statistics by Size table (which is supposed to be used to size creatures up, so if someone who understands the MM better than I do says it shouldn't work that way, listen to them).

Doing it the second way to make a medium-sized tiger gives it -8 Str (15), +2 Dex (17), -4 Con (13), -2 Natural Armour (1), and make sure to add +1 to AC and attack modifiers for the size change.

For skills (and feats) remember that tigers and leopards behave quite differently, so even if you use the leopard stats, avoid climb and jump in favour of hide and move silently.

Hopefully something in there solves your problem, if not, I'll have another look through.

Edit: Comprehensive ninja-age while I looked for my MM, skillfully done.

Daveo
2009-09-28, 06:17 PM
Thank you both. I can used both effectively.

KillianHawkeye
2009-09-28, 06:24 PM
Next time, just make one thread about it.

Arachu
2009-09-28, 09:21 PM
I made a Weremonkey once. It was very, very weak, and designed to be a funny encounter. Though, admittedly the hybrid's stats would actually work for infiltrating...

Also, a Werecat. I'm often compelled to say "how idiotic can I make concept 'x'?"