PDA

View Full Version : The Last Unicorn

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-28, 01:21 AM
Has anyone seen this gem of a film? It's so beautiful and I was later surprised to find out that jeff Bridges and Christopher Lee star in it along with Mia Farrow.

http://www.genjipress.com/img/dvd/2006/B0002GTRGK-011.jpg

When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning
And the future has passed without even a last desperate warning
Then look into the sky where through the clouds a path is torn
Look and see her how she sparkles, its the last unicorn

I always want to cry at the end, as it's so sad. She's the only uncorn that has ever known love.

Starscream
2009-09-28, 04:05 AM
Starscream darts into the room wearing a trench coat and a fedora pulled down to hide his face. He keeps to the shadows, moving swiftly from pool of darkness to pool of darkness. When he is sure nobody is watching he makes a sudden movement with his hands, and then departs as quickly as he arrived.

You are wondering what that was all about, when you notice a small slip of paper is now on the table that you are almost certain wasn't there before. It smells strongly of lemon juice. Recalling something you used to do as a child, you hold the paper up to a light bulb. Symbols gradually appear on its surface.

The words are in a language unknown to you, but after showing it to linguists and codebreakers around the world, a meaning is determined. The symbols are a hexidecimal based code that requires the combined efforts of six Cray supercomputers to crack. At last the message is clear:
"I've loved this movie since I was a kid. Don't tell anyone or they will revoke my Y chromosome."
47 seconds after you read the message, a great owl swoops into the room and absconds with it. For the rest of your days you try to convince people of what you discovered, but are inevitably dismissed as a madman.

Starscream never acknowledges the debate. He continues to host meetings of the Macho Testosterone Havers In The Playground club.

Rumors that he was once overheard humming "Man's Road" were never substantiated due to the Spontaneous Human Combustion of the only eyewitness.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-28, 04:27 AM
Not even the harpie will not make you not embarrassed? If this was made today, they'd ask for it to have a bra.

bosssmiley
2009-09-28, 04:09 PM
Loved the cartoon when I was little, still love the book now. Peter S. Beagle has HUEG writing-fu! :smallcool:

@Katana Geldar: Do us a favour and wrap some tags around the pic please. It'll stop it from pulling the thread out of shape.

averagejoe
2009-09-28, 05:25 PM
Wonderful film and wonderful book. Possibly one of the most magical things I've seen.

And, heck, I've liked things that are waaaay less manly than this.

WitchSlayer
2009-09-28, 05:28 PM
My older sisters apparently watched it when they were young. So we tracked down a copy and bought it more recently. It was pretty good.

zyphyr
2009-09-28, 08:04 PM
Great film. Loved it then, still love it today.

Winterwind
2009-09-28, 08:47 PM
As soon as I saw the thread title I started to wonder how I could express my opinion about the film (alas, never read the book, though I definitely intend to) adequately, coming up with nothing. Fortunately, averagejoe did it for me.

Wonderful film and wonderful book. Possibly one of the most magical things I've seen.This. Just this.

Fun fact: Christopher Lee not only provided the voice for Haggard in the English original, he also provided it in the German dub.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-28, 10:49 PM
I have heard there was a sequel novella "Two Hearts" but this is hard to find.

Has anyone read it?

Megatron46
2009-09-29, 04:10 AM
This was the first film I saw at the cinema. I went with my older brother and I loved it. I can remember bugger all about it however!

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-29, 04:17 AM
The whole thing is on youtube, watch it again!

Roxlimn
2009-09-29, 08:39 AM
The Last Unicorn is one of the manliest films ever made. Real men wear pink.

Megatron46
2009-09-29, 10:14 AM
The Last Unicorn is one of the manliest films ever made. Real men wear pink.

I shall wear a pink shirt, go onto Youtube and watch The Last Unicorn drinking a malibu and coke, that's how secure I am in my manliness!

Telonius
2009-09-29, 10:17 AM
They were going to make a live-action remake of it (Christopher Lee was set to play Haggard, and rumors flying about Angela Lansbury reprising her role as Mommy Fortuna) but as of now it looks like it's not going to happen. Really a shame. I think you can tell from my sig what I think of it. :smallbiggrin:

Stormthorn
2009-09-29, 12:53 PM
I shall wear a pink shirt, go onto Youtube and watch The Last Unicorn drinking a malibu and coke, that's how secure I am in my manliness!

Heck, im gonna be drinking appletinis.

I love that movie.

Kato
2009-09-29, 03:08 PM
Ok since even such manly men admit their love for it... I liked it as well. (okay, I just didn't want to write 'I liked it' before since I couldn't remember a lot of it)

Yeah, i enjoyed the German version of it. It was qoll done and a good movie though it really lacks when it comes to animation but the story is very good and not the typical fairy tale with the shining knight (okay at least not so obvious)

averagejoe
2009-09-29, 05:17 PM
Heck, I'll admit that Cardcaptor Sakura is one of my favorite things. Next to that The Last Unicorn is a film about Clint Eastwood, Samuel L. Jackson, Steve McQueen, and Sean Connery forming a biker gang in order to fight the legions of hell and the Nazis.

I have heard there was a sequel novella "Two Hearts" but this is hard to find.

Has anyone read it?

I didn't like it a whole lot. It wasn't bad as much as it was unnecessary.

paddyfool
2009-09-29, 05:22 PM
Loved the film, never read the book. Someday, if/when I've kids, though, I think it'd be one I'd like to buy to read to them, assuming the film's a fair representation (not that I could ever rival Christopher Lee's Voice Of Awesome).

Raz_Fox
2009-09-29, 05:25 PM
I did rather enjoy it, especially the characters. I was slightly upset watching it the second time, because I had the flash of insight that I will probably never have Beagle's skill in writing characters who are so very, very human. That second time, I felt like I was Lir, falling in love with the unattainable woman but not knowing how to demonstrate it.

Now that is talent.

Trixie
2009-09-29, 05:38 PM
This. Just this.

Seconded.

Trivia - I have no idea how he did it, but the local translation of the book is both very faithful and incredibly boring. I have no idea why - language is good, book is nice, it's just that the words can't seem to "glue" together. Really strange. :smallconfused:

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-29, 06:01 PM
I don't think the film goes into who Lir's real father was, as I think there was a prophecy that a child born in the villiage in Haggard's realm would have the means to destroy the king.

So, Lir was left on the mountainside.

What I like is how Schmedrick, Molly and Lir talk about fairy tales and heroes.

There's also going to be a stage version in Chicago on the 16th of October and Peter Beagle will be there.

http://www.prometheantheatre.org/nowplaying.htm

Wish I could go :smallfrown:

Starscream
2009-09-30, 01:28 AM
They were going to make a live-action remake of it (Christopher Lee was set to play Haggard, and rumors flying about Angela Lansbury reprising her role as Mommy Fortuna) but as of now it looks like it's not going to happen. Really a shame. I think you can tell from my sig what I think of it. :smallbiggrin:

Seems to be on hold indefinitely which is a real shame because...waitasec...I mean...this isn't the thread about how to shoryuken a grizzly bear?! Because that's totally what I was looking for!

Starscream hops on his motorcycle made of chainsaws and departs.

paddyfool
2009-09-30, 01:31 AM
What was strange was that when I first watched it I originally thought the character's name was Lear, which rather betokened an eventually tragic fate for him ;).

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-30, 01:34 AM
Lir is a hero, though. He's a dragon slayer!

JonestheSpy
2009-09-30, 01:40 AM
Okay, you know what's funny? Funny is is it being late and thinking you clicked on the 'Krull' thread instead of this one, and being greeted by these words:

Has anyone seen this gem of a film? It's so beautiful and I was later surprised to find out that jeff Bridges and Christopher Lee star in it along with Mia Farrow.

I spent a few dumbfounded seconds pondering that one before waking up and clueing in.