PDA

View Full Version : the social contract of d & d

Fitz
2009-09-28, 07:32 AM
Ok, a number of threads recently have covered bad things that happen, either players or DM's making the game not fun, so here are some ideas to cover making sure everyone enjoys the game, hope this helps and feel free to add relevant stuff.

1: remember it is a game! (obvious i know)

2: everyone should be having fun, that includes the other players and the DM ( this should be obvious but having had my group in the past tell me to take a break because i was getting too stressed trying to make a good adventure i wasn't enjoying DMing)

3: if there is a problem discuss it and comprimise, you are part of a group, there will be something that brought you all together as a group, don't let getting wound up over the game ruin either the game or your freindships

4: be tolerant, not everyone wants to spend 6 hours a day optimising thier character, but nor does everyone want to play the pesant with an 18 page backstory, be prepared to adapt to fit in without comprimising your enjoyment

5: The DM is not the enemy, unless the DM makes it clear to the players at the start of the game, his objective should be to enable the game to run in a fun an exciting way, not to beat the players (not really a challenge) and neither the DM nor the players should consider the DM to be the enemy

hope this helps you all enjoy the game, and if not hope you enojy the hobby anyway

Fitz

dragonfan6490
2009-09-28, 06:08 PM
This should be printed off and signed by all parties involved when they decide to begin a new campaign.

jiriku
2009-09-28, 06:30 PM
As the storyteller and referee, the DM bears the chief responsibility for ensuring that everyone at the table has a good time. This includes setting the tone with open, honest, respectful communication, fully preparing before each session, managing the pace of the evening to ensure a balance between chatting/hanging out and actual gaming, and ensuring that play moves at a pace that is engaging for all players.

As players, the other people in the game bear the responsibility for supporting the DM in assuring that a good time is had by all. This includes refraining from disruptive behavior, supporting that respectful tone, arriving prepared to play with all necessary resources, and being a team player by sharing the spotlight and being considerate of others and respectful of the host's home.

The host whose home the players are occupying bears responsibility for providing an appropriate place to play that is free of interruptions and distractions, and feeding the players or ensuring that everyone knows to bring their own food/snacks if that's to be the plan.

gallagher
2009-09-28, 07:22 PM
This should be printed off and signed by all parties involved when they decide to begin a new campaign.with the addition of "If you as a player dont use polymorph, neither will the DM"

seriously, it ****s on games

Ravens_cry
2009-09-28, 07:29 PM
with the addition of "If you as a player dont use polymorph, neither will the DM"

seriously, it ****s on games
Pathfinder has a good fix you may want to look at (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/). It's not all one spell and the abilities given are spelled out pretty clearly, in my view.