PDA

View Full Version : [3.X] Favorite Class Features

Person_Man
2009-09-28, 09:22 AM
In terms of fun value, what are your favorite class features, and why?

If your favorite feature is casting/psionics/blade magic/etc, what are your favorite specific spell/power/manuevers/etc?

Telonius
2009-09-28, 09:24 AM
Bardic Knowledge. Practically useless in combat, but I love being able to know random scraps of legends and stories that everybody else has forgotten about.

Mongoose87
2009-09-28, 09:26 AM
Either White Raven Tactics or War Master's charge, depending on whether there are strong chargers or spellcasters in the party.

sonofzeal
2009-09-28, 09:27 AM
Brains Over Brawn.

Rogue Special Ability.

Rage.

Things that make crafting easier (see: Warlock, Artificer)

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-28, 09:27 AM
Evasion. It's just fun to get hit by a fire ball or lightning bolt, and have the DM say, ok, you take 60 unless you pass. You passed? Take 30. Then being able to say "I take zero. Evasion."

Uin
2009-09-28, 09:38 AM
Rage.Whirling Frenzy.:smallsmile:
Plus Spellsense.
Or Trapkiller.
Plus Spirit Lion Pounce and Roar.

The barbarian is a totally different and much more fun class with the right ACFs.

sonofzeal
2009-09-28, 09:57 AM
Whirling Frenzy.:smallsmile:
Plus Spellsense.
Or Trapkiller.
Plus Spirit Lion Pounce and Roar.

The barbarian is a totally different and much more fun class with the right ACFs.
Well yes, but I consider those more extensions of the concept, rather than replacements of it. It's still the "Rage" class feature in my mind, even if you're calling it something else and getting slightly different bonuses.

Kaiyanwang
2009-09-28, 10:00 AM
Fighter Bonus feats.

And Druid Spells that communicate or call the natural forces (like speak with plants, and Awaken, Mass*).

* EDIT: see the druid in spell compendium casting it and you'll have the explaination of why I fell in love for that spell.

Nohwl
2009-09-28, 10:02 AM
does spellcasting count as a class feature?

Siegel
2009-09-28, 10:14 AM
Shape Soulmeld

gdiddy
2009-09-28, 10:15 AM
Tongue of Sun and Moon.

:tongue:

Godskook
2009-09-28, 10:15 AM
Mine? Maneuvers, particularly Shadow Hand and Tiger Claw, although I've seen quite a few interesting homebrew ones that I want to try too.

Second up is the School of Illusion(sans shadow spells).

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-28, 10:20 AM
Meldshaping and the Totem Chakra Bind. Because growing 4 arms is the shiznit.

Deth Muncher
2009-09-28, 10:22 AM
Bardic Knowledge. Practically useless in combat, but I love being able to know random scraps of legends and stories that everybody else has forgotten about.

Seconded. A PC in my campaign rolled a 19 (without modifiers) on her BK roll, similar to the old OOTS strip when they asked about Azure City, and Elan was able to tell them everything down to the average rainfall. I didn't actually have any info about the place they were asking, but I told them that if there was any bit of public data, she knew it.

AmberVael
2009-09-28, 10:33 AM
Bardic Knowledge.

Brains Over Brawn.

Yeah, both of those are really fun. In general, I just love all the abilities that work with or like skills, because while trouncing things in combat is fun, having the character who knows and can do everything (without relying on spells per day) is really fun.

Besides these though, I've always been a fan of Invocations. Maybe Warlocks aren't the most powerful class, but the ability to just toss around powers as often as they want is really fun. I personally enjoy Dark Discorporation and Fell Flight.

SurlySeraph
2009-09-28, 10:38 AM
Smite Evil. Just because.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-28, 10:42 AM
Bardic knack, ususaly with that feat that gives you all skills as class skills.

Ravens_cry
2009-09-28, 10:50 AM
Smite Evil. Just because.
I like that too. Over the top, Silver Age style, pronouncements generally occur at the same time, but that's (maybe) just me.
Rage is a lot of fun.
I love the spell Silence, perfect to cast on the charging fighter. Try verbalizing those components now, nasty robed guy!

Lapak
2009-09-28, 10:56 AM
Wildshape.

Before you cry 'yeah, no kidding', I'll note that no one in any group I've played in has shifted into a Fleshraker or even a Dire Ape and that we rarely run up over level 10 or so regardless. I just love the idea of natural shapeshifting as a class feature for utility reasons. Tied up and imprisoned underground? Shift into a badger to escape your bonds and tunnel out. Need to get to the top of a cliff in a hurry? Shift into Eagle form and cruise up there. It feels a lot more stylish to me than spellcasting as a problem-solver.

Tavar
2009-09-28, 11:07 AM
Yeah, both of those are really fun. In general, I just love all the abilities that work with or like skills, because while trouncing things in combat is fun, having the character who knows and can do everything (without relying on spells per day) is really fun.

Besides these though, I've always been a fan of Invocations. Maybe Warlocks aren't the most powerful class, but the ability to just toss around powers as often as they want is really fun. I personally enjoy Dark Discorporation and Fell Flight.

I agree. Hell, I often times have trouble making characters because I need to get more skill points, which in some builds is really hard.

As for innvocations, I'm a big fan of Otherworldly Whispers(not only do the voices exist, they have some pretty good ideas).

Also, Crawling Eye is fun, just for the image of what it looks like when you first cast is.

If we're including PrC's, Healing Blast from the Eldritch Disciple is really fun, especially if you can combine it with Eldritch Chain/Glaive plus the Spell Hunter's eye. Not only are you attacking your teammates to heal them, but you're attacking their vitals to do it.

Eldariel
2009-09-28, 11:53 AM
Psionics. Absolute favorite? Divert Teleport.

Zaq
2009-09-28, 12:17 PM
Speaking not from experience but from pure "dude, that's awesome" daydreaming over classes, the Truenamer capstone is thematically fantastic.

From an actual game perspective, I love the Spellthief's Steal Spell Effect, I love meldshaping, and anything that just lets you say "no, I don't think you actually did that" is awesome. Counterspelling (especially with, say, Noctumancer or Battlemagic Perception), evasion, immunity to fear or whatever... just whatever lets you throw a wrench into someone's plans. (Steal Spell Effect can also fall under this umbrella.)

Yes, my favorite Magi-Nation region is Orothe and my favorite Guild Wars class is the Mesmer. Why do you ask?

Glyde
2009-09-28, 12:23 PM
'AC Bonus', 'Evasion' and 'Bonus Feat' (Whatever that may be. Fighter bonus feats, metamagic bonus feats, monk bonus feats...It just means a little bit of extra stuff)

Cieyrin
2009-09-28, 12:28 PM
Sneak Attack!

Rage is also excellent, as ripping off somebody's face with your bare hands is always good times (when combined with sneak attack...)

Xefas
2009-09-28, 12:45 PM
I like the Tome of Battle Stances and Encounter model. I suppose specifically I like the Martial Spirit stance. I wish it remained useful after level 1-2. I mean, without the "Keep a sack of rats around to beat the hell out of for unlimited out-of-combat healing" thing that, while valid, I suppose, would still get one a lot of raised eyebrows at any gaming table I've been at.

I also like the Planar Binding series of spells, as well as the Binding mechanics, as trafficking with Outsiders is always fun, for good or ill.

Carden
2009-09-28, 12:46 PM
Bind Vestige

A one-way ticket to any-ville. Not only that, but it's given me a bunch of ideas for villains to toss at my players.

Paulus
2009-09-28, 02:03 PM
Bardic Music is a favorite of mine. Music and singing has always had a special power to me and being able to recite a poem that causes a magical effect is exactly how I see magic working.

I also like the Shape changing line of spells and abilities, honestly, who wouldn't want to be a Dragon?

Spontaneous Spellcasting is also more preferable to prepared to me, it just fits my concept of magic better.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-09-28, 02:06 PM
Genesis. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/genesis.htm)

Who can't like making their own demi-plane?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-28, 02:35 PM
Hide in Plain Sight - the Supernatural version. Full melee attacks while hiding are just awesome.

Fax Celestis
2009-09-28, 04:04 PM
Shape Soulmeld, Arcane Channeling, and Eldritch Blast/Draconic Breath.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-28, 04:29 PM
Cunning Dodge, a Factotum ability that lets you avoid any damage 1/day if it would drop you below 0HP. The look on your DM's face when he throws a monster's attack called "The Apocalypse of Time" at you (in the form of every dice owned by all the players, himself, and a friend of his) and you just avoid it is priceless.

He nearly cried.

Claudius Maximus
2009-09-28, 04:33 PM
Drink Like A Demon

Dervish Dance

Summon Familiar

Demons_eye
2009-09-28, 05:19 PM
Bind Vestige, True speak, Soulmelds and Unarmed strike of a monk.

Indon
2009-09-28, 05:23 PM
Soulmelds in general, but the 3.0 Monk Unarmed Strike specifically.

PId6
2009-09-28, 05:29 PM
Improved Metamagic.

What? :smallbiggrin:

Kallisti
2009-09-28, 05:30 PM
Hmmmm...Drink like a Demon and the other Drunken Master features are awesome, and I really like meldshaping...my absolute favorite, though, has to be Eldritch Blast. Because, really, how much more awesome can you get than a demon laser?

Cieyrin
2009-09-28, 06:10 PM
Hmmmm...Drink like a Demon and the other Drunken Master features are awesome, and I really like meldshaping...my absolute favorite, though, has to be Eldritch Blast. Because, really, how much more awesome can you get than a demon laser?

Be a Cat Burglar firing demon lasers from both eyes?

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/1169988171-1168721409864.jpg

FMArthur
2009-09-28, 06:44 PM
Mind Blade.

:smallfrown:

deuxhero
2009-09-28, 09:11 PM
Bardic knack, ususaly with that feat that gives you all skills as class skills.

Hmm, assuming a lore master was allowed to take that combo, (Lore is explicitly Bardic Knowledge that uses character level instead of Bard level) would it be worth taking?

DragoonWraith
2009-09-28, 09:46 PM
I'm a big fan of the Malconvoker's Deceptive Summons ability, I think it's just awesome flavor. Also, the War Weaver's Eldritch Tapestry is awesome.

The Artificer's Craft Reserve and Item Creation abilities are really cool, as is the Warlock's Deceive Item.

The Ultimate Magus's Expanded Knowledge and Augment Spellcasting abilities are awesome, too.

Though it doesn't really have a mechanic, the Ur-Priest's spell stealing thing is awesome.