PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my new computer.

BizzaroStormy
2009-09-28, 12:54 PM
So i got a new computer yesterday and can't seem to get the headphones to work. All i've been able to try is using the volume control, i dont know what else to do with it. Any help?

Flickerdart
2009-09-28, 01:01 PM
So i got a new computer yesterday and can't seem to get the headphones to work. All i've been able to try is using the volume control, i dont know what else to do with it. Any help?
Laptop or desktop? If desktop, have you tried using the rear headphone jack? There are sometimes two on modern cases. Also, try reinstalling sound drivers or try different headphones.

BizzaroStormy
2009-09-28, 01:07 PM
Laptop or desktop? If desktop, have you tried using the rear headphone jack? There are sometimes two on modern cases. Also, try reinstalling sound drivers or try different headphones.

Desktop, and I've tried all the different jacks on the thing. The headphones works just fine with everything else i've plugged them into and I have no idea how to reinstall the sound drivers.

Flickerdart
2009-09-28, 01:09 PM
You should be able to download .exe files of new drivers from your manufacturer's website: either the company you bought the system from, or the motherboard's company if it's a custom rig.
Edit: also, try restarting. You'd be surprised how many glitches that fixes.

BizzaroStormy
2009-09-28, 01:28 PM
Restarting didn't work and there's nothing on the motherboard's about sound drivers.

Lorn
2009-09-28, 01:34 PM
Check the Sound and Audio settings.

What operating system are you using?

BizzaroStormy
2009-09-28, 01:36 PM
Windows XP

valadil
2009-09-28, 02:27 PM
Go into the control panel and check the audio settings there. They have an expanded volume control panel that might include different settings for different audio jacks.

Also, have you tried the headphones in another device? It's always a good idea to doublecheck that they still work.

drakir_nosslin
2009-09-28, 03:10 PM
Try connecting another pair of headphones, or a pair of speakers. If that doesn't work, you've either missed some settings somewhere or you need to reinstall the drivers for your sound card, or motherboard if it's integrated.
Can't say much more than that really.

Cruxador
2009-09-28, 04:29 PM
This may sound like a dumb question, but is your audio output muted? Depending on where the sound should be coming from, in terms of software, there may well be several levels at which volume control - and muting is available. If any of these defaulted to be muted, it would mess you up.

thubby
2009-09-28, 07:35 PM
do you have regular speakers?
if so, do they keep working even with the headphones in?
if not, try using them.

Crispy Dave
2009-09-29, 12:40 AM
sounds like drivers to me.

2009-09-29, 11:42 PM
i agree. drivers, accidental mute, or witchcraft.
if none of those; consider the possibility of a crappy board.

Dispozition
2009-09-29, 11:49 PM
Either drivers or a bung mobo connection.