PDA

View Full Version : FPS Horror Suggestions for the PC

Zen Monkey
2009-09-28, 02:19 PM
Can the various playgrounders recommend a good horror FPS game that is made for recent PC's? After the disappointment of 'Pandorum' this weekend, I got a craving for a good, immersive horror experience. It doesn't have to be sci-fi themed, or held to any other particular genre. I've heard that, lighting issues aside, Doom 3 isn't bad. What else might fit?

chiasaur11
2009-09-28, 02:20 PM
Well, if it wasn't for "recent PCs" the system shock series would be perfect.

As is...

Bioshock might somewhat fit, I suppose.

Cristo Meyers
2009-09-28, 02:39 PM
F.E.A.R 1 & 2 are good ones. Though I've only actually played the first, I've heard good things about the second. The expansions...not so much. Though, once again, it kinda runs into that "recent PC" thing.

Optimystik
2009-09-28, 02:46 PM
Bioshock
Clive Barker's Jericho
Fear 2
Dead Space

Try the demos first to see if you like them, then have at it. Bioshock naturally rules the roost, if you haven't played that yet it's a must.

Also, Yahtzee's reviewed all of these, but don't take him too seriously.

EDIT: Also, Wolfenstein? I guess? Maybe...

Comet
2009-09-28, 02:49 PM
These are both slightly older, but still the best that come to mind when it comes to FPS suspense.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the earth. Reasonably fun, and it has cthulhu mythos stuff in it.

Penumbra. An episodic first person adventure game released in (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penumbra:_Overture) three (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penumbra:_Black_Plague) parts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penumbra:_Requiem).
One of the definitive games in the genre, I'd say.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-09-28, 02:54 PM
Left 4 Dead (http://store.steampowered.com/app/500/)is pretty good if you want your standard zombie shooter. You can probably pick it up for $30 off of steam. Might be cheaper in the stores if you can find a copy on mark down.

warty goblin
2009-09-28, 03:29 PM
Ignore all other posts. The game you are looking for is S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. Left 4 Dead is gory as hell, but it never scared me. The videos of Dead Space that I've seen make it look very, very formulaic in how it goes about attempting to horrify, with copious use of dismemberment and ugly things, but little in the way of suspense.

STALKER however has managed on several occasions to scare me enough that I needed to stop playing, and once so much I actually couldn't sleep. The lighting effects, sound design, enemy habits and survival mechanics all serve to build dread like no other game I've played. What if, you find yourself going, there isn't any lights farther down there? Sure there's my flashlight, but that doesn't provide very much light, and gives me away.

What was that noise? A mutant wolf? A bloodsucker? Oh hell no, I bet it's a bloodsucker. And I'm running low on ammo. What if it charges and my gun jams? Or worse, what if it's two bloodsuckers? They're invisible, so I'll only see the first one, and by the time I notice the second, it'll be right on top of me...

It also helps that at one point, from what I could tell, the main character goes borderline insane and ends up being hunted by phantom wolves in a monochrome landscape.

chiasaur11
2009-09-28, 03:35 PM
Ignore all other posts. The game you are looking for is S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. Left 4 Dead is gory as hell, but it never scared me. The videos of Dead Space that I've seen make it look very, very formulaic in how it goes about attempting to horrify, with copious use of dismemberment and ugly things, but little in the way of suspense.

STALKER however has managed on several occasions to scare me enough that I needed to stop playing, and once so much I actually couldn't sleep. The lighting effects, sound design, enemy habits and survival mechanics all serve to build dread like no other game I've played. What if, you find yourself going, there isn't any lights farther down there? Sure there's my flashlight, but that doesn't provide very much light, and gives me away.

What was that noise? A mutant wolf? A bloodsucker? Oh hell no, I bet it's a bloodsucker. And I'm running low on ammo. What if it charges and my gun jams? Or worse, what if it's two bloodsuckers? They're invisible, so I'll only see the first one, and by the time I notice the second, it'll be right on top of me...

It also helps that at one point, from what I could tell, the main character goes borderline insane and ends up being hunted by phantom wolves in a monochrome landscape.

Oh, duh. Of course!

It's a mite glitchy, and not to everyone's taste, but it fits the job pitch perfect.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-09-28, 03:39 PM
Penumbra and Bioshock are pretty good. The former being a tad more disturbing/frightening and the latter having far better gameplay.

Best of all? They are both only $5 on D2D right now. Here. (http://www.direct2drive.com/d2dturns5)

Edit: Also people kind of mixed opinions of this mod, though imo Zombie Panic might also be what your looking for. If you have a source game and steam, you can download it for free.

warty goblin
2009-09-28, 03:57 PM
Oh, duh. Of course!

It's a mite glitchy, and not to everyone's taste, but it fits the job pitch perfect.

The best part is that most of the glitches actually just contribute to the atmosphere. Dead people talking to you? Well, it's really due to glitchy mission architecture, but it's just as easy to consider it further evidence that you've taken one too many free electrons to the noggin. Some weird physics go down? Well, they pretty clearly don't play by normal physical rules around here anyway, so maybe bandits do occasionally die and fall through walls. Mutant dogs running in circles barking? Well, who's to say it's not a mutant dog breeding ritual? The game is just insane enough that a lot of stuff that wouldn't make sense normally actually does.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-09-28, 04:48 PM
F.E.A.R 1 & 2 are good ones. Though I've only actually played the first, I've heard good things about the second. The expansions...not so much. Though, once again, it kinda runs into that "recent PC" thing.

FEAR 2 is basically "Fear 1 with better graphics and worse everything else". Extraction Point is better than FEAR 2. It's Perseus Mandate that really sucks.

FEAR 2's downloadable content has some really annoying fake difficulty in it. The final room is like:

Can you see nigh invisible enemies under dark red lighting? Can you see in 360 degrees? Can you wait around to kill enemies that have a delayed spawn time while fighting off enemies with instant spawn times? Does it really help that your enemies all die in one hit if you also die in one hit? Can you survive until the computer decides to let you through the door you need to get through? Can you be bothered to keep reloading when the fight you're in makes no plot sense?