PDA

View Full Version : The Linear Guild

Morquard
2009-09-28, 03:35 PM
This is a question that I ponder for some time now.

We know Nale is a sucker for the "evil opposite" setup, the entire first linear guild was build like that, and the second one as well.
So Nale had known about the Order all along when he recruited those guys back before Durokans dungeon.

But how the hell did he come up with "The Linear Guild"? I mean, it has to have something to do with being an opposite (maybe evil too) to "The Order of the Stick", but I seriously can't figure it out.

Shale
2009-09-28, 03:38 PM
Sticks are straight like lines.

BatRobin
2009-09-28, 03:50 PM
Sticks are not straight like lines.

There, fixed.

Watcher
2009-09-28, 04:16 PM
Maybe because all of the differences and similarities are Linear? Perhaps? Maybe Nale decided it in the "Negative Correlation" with a scatter chart or Line Graph? Maybe only if there were two lines and one was positive correlation while the other was negative correlation. So symmetrical to the OotS, but Symmetrical Guild was too obvious, and Nale isn't that stupid.

Kish
2009-09-28, 04:19 PM
But how the hell did he come up with "The Linear Guild"? I mean, it has to have something to do with being an opposite (maybe evil too) to "The Order of the Stick", but I seriously can't figure it out.
"The Order of the Stick" is about them being stick figures. "The Linear Guild" is about them being constructs of lines. Essentially the same joke, with two different conclusions.

Ahp77
2009-09-28, 04:25 PM
"The Order of the Stick" is about them being stick figures. "The Linear Guild" is about them being constructs of lines. Essentially the same joke, with two different conclusions.

In Origin of PCs:
They were called "The Order of the Stick" because they saw a stick on the ground nearby.

Kish
2009-09-28, 04:32 PM
Yes, and? :smalltongue: Are you suggesting that rather than naming them the Order of the Stick when he posted strip #1, because they're stick figures, Rich decided then, years before OtOoPCs came out, that if he ever told their origin story he would reveal how they had seen a stick on the ground and arbitrarily named themselves the Order of the Stick, and their being stick figures really had nothing to do with him giving them that name?

To be clicked in case of considering answering that question "yes." (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq6)