PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about cutting through governmental red tape? (The VA)

togapika
2009-09-28, 04:13 PM
So I should be getting money from the government due to my father's total/permanent status of his disability... except I have yet to receive a decision on such things from the government.

Before you ask, yes his disability has been declared total/permanent and was done so a while ago. I have also waited more than the extra 6 weeks asked for by the VA, and have tried calling them as well. Alas, the only number they give only connects you to an automated menu system where you can't seem to be able to talk to a real person.
Anyone have any experience with such things that they can offer advice or aid in this situation?

Jack Squat
2009-09-28, 04:23 PM
Head down to the local office. Seems only way you can get things done these days is to show up in person and be an actual annoyance to them.

Solaris
2009-09-28, 04:27 PM
Head down to the local office. Seems only way you can get things done these days is to show up in person and be an actual annoyance to them.

Yes. Seconded. Vehemently. The VA doesn't actually exist to help you or veterans, just to make it look like they're helping veterans and their families. That means you gotta make 'em help, and you can't make someone on the other end of a phone line do anything.

EDIT: You're twenty-two. According to my girlfriend (similar situation) the only financial assistance you should be getting is education-related. More to follow if necessary.

snoopy13a
2009-09-28, 04:42 PM
One of the best ways to cut through government tape is to call the office of your Congressman. Part of their staff's responsibilty is to help out constituents in problems like this.

togapika
2009-09-28, 04:47 PM
As far as I am lead to believe it's money I get while staying in school because of the fact that my father can't really contribute to my education due to his disability and thus reduced ability to work...

Solaris
2009-09-28, 04:48 PM
One of the best ways to cut through government tape is to call the office of your Congressman. Part of their staff's responsibilty is to help out constituents in problems like this.

That might work. Maybe. If you're lucky and your Congressman isn't too busy doing whatever it is Congressmen do in between stabbing the military in the back.

EDIT: Have you guys done the paperwork for education benefits? It's not automatic, you apparently have to apply for this stuff.

togapika
2009-09-28, 04:53 PM
Yes we did all the appropriate paperwork and turned it all in months ago.

Solaris
2009-09-28, 05:03 PM
Gnarly. Regional office it is. A look at the VA website tells me you're not the only one with this problem. You're likely screwed on account of not having been in the system when it crapped out.
Your dad can tell you that happens a lot more than it should where the military gets involved.