PDA

View Full Version : [GURPS] Character Critique and Spell Advice for my Angel

Kizara
2009-09-28, 05:37 PM
The idea behind this character came from the fact that my DM loves to make wierd and out-there worlds and settings, which often clash with what I actually had in mind for RPing with my character concept. This character is designed to be able to deal with most settings, although being far from invincible.

Towards this end, I have come up with Deanna, the Angelic Avenger. The character is meant to be a mildly cinematic character with magic and fantasy abilities, but following generally realistic gameplay rules.

Her backstory is that she was sent from the celestial realms to the mortal realm to combat the growing presence of hell and its agents in that world. She has elements such as Duty for when specific missions come up, but otherwise acts fairly freelance. The character will have to adjust to whatever setting my DM comes up with (I've encouraged him to pick something higher-TL, and he agreed), hunt demons, fight demons and also deal with everyday problems like sexual harrassment, self-serving mortals that may also be evil and local laws.

I am using some houserules here, mainly those found in MyGURPS (http://www.mygurps.com/) and our rule that TL difference is wroth 10 pts/level, instead of 5. Personally, I think even 10/level is a bit light, as the amount of problems you have are immense. All your knowledge skills are horribly outdated, your familiarities are almost all off, you don't have the skills needed (computer use, etc) and generally have no idea how the society works.

Anywho, here is the character in txt form (I seperated her IA Smite out from the other advantages to help break up the wall of text a bit).:

Some notes on this:

1) Any referance to Christanity as her religion is a placeholder cause its the closest thing I could think of. We will be using some homebrew pantheon that my DM creates and religion for her. To be clear, this character is not actually related to actual real-world religion beyond what celestials in DnD are.

2) Her language will be Latin, with some knowledge of Demonic as well.

Deanna (340 points)
Human

ST 18 [40]; DX 11 [0]; IQ 12 [0]; HT 15 [30].
Damage 1d+2/3d; BL 65 lbs.; HP 24 [12]; Will 11 [5]; Per 12 [10]; FP 20 [15].
Basic Speed 6 [-10]; Basic Move 7 [5]; Block 0; Dodge 10; Parry 14 (Polearm).

Social Background
TL: 8 [0].
CF:
Languages:

Advantages
Appearance (Very Beautiful) [16]; Blessed (Pact (+50)) [5]; Blessed (Heroic Feat (BM)) (Pact (+50)) [5]; Blessed (Heroic Feat (ST)) (Pact (+50)) [5];
Burning Attack 10 (Melee Attack: Reach 2,3; Costs Fatigue (+4); Accessibility (only on evil) (+2); Pact (+50); Side Effect (+1); Limited Use (3-4 times per day); Follow-Up; Nuisance Effect: ability makes you obvious; Cannot Parry; Affects Insubstantial) [10];

Charisma 1 [5]; Claim to Hospitality 3 (Pact (+50)) [3]; Clerical Investment (Pact (+50)) [3]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Damage Resistance 6 (Tough Skin; Hardened (+1); Pact (+50)) [9]; Daredevil [15]; Detect (demons) (Rare) (Pact (+50)) [3]; Empathy (Pact (+50)) [8]; Enhanced Move (Air) 1/2 (Pact (+50)), Extra Attack 1 (Pact (+50)) [13]; Extra DX 1 (Affects displayed score; Pact (+50)) [10]; Extra HT 2 (Affects displayed score; Pact (+50)) [10]; Extra IQ 2 (Affects displayed score; Pact (+50)) [20]; Extra ST 4 (Affects displayed score; Pact (+50)) [20]; Fit [5]; Flight (Winged; Pact (+50)) [10]; Hard to Kill 1 [2]; Hard to Subdue 1 [2]; Healing (Faith Healing; Reduced Fatigue Cost (+1); Pact (+50)) [27]; High Pain Threshold (Pact (+50)) [5]; Higher Purpose (Pact (+50)) [3]; Less Sleep 2 (Pact (+50)) [2]; Magic Resistance 4 (Pact (+50)) [4]; Medium (Unreliable/Activation (11 or less); Pact (+50)) [3]; Power Investiture 4 [40]; Recovery (Pact (+50)) [5]; Resistant (Very Common) (+3; Pact (+50)) [5]; Signature Gear 7 (Pact (+50)) [4]; Unaging (Pact (+50)) [3]; Unusual Background [10]; Voice [10].
Perks: Equipment Bond (Cleansing Fire); Honest Face; Penetrating Voice; Skintight [4].

Disadvantages
Bloodlust (15 or less) [-5]; Dread (Rare) [-5]; Enemy (forces of hell) (medium-sized group, some formidable or super-human) (9 or less) [-30]; Intolerance ((evil)) (Intolerance of one group) [-5]; Low TL [-25]; On the Edge (12 or less) [-15]; p Code of Honor (Heavenly) -3 [-15]; p Duty (fight demons) (9 or less (fairly often)) (Extremely Hazardous) [-10]; p Fanaticism (Christianity) [-15]; p Sense of Duty (Large Group) [-10]; Secret (an angel) (Serious Embarrassment) [-5]; Selfless (12 or less) [-5]; Stubbornness [-5]; Supernatural Feature (Heavenly glow, too warm to the touch) [-5]; Vulnerability ((unholy)) (Rare) (x3) [-15]; Weirdness Magnet [-15].
Quirks: Dull; Responsive; Uncongenial [-3].

Skills
Acrobatics-11 (DX+0) [4]; Bow-12 (DX+1) [4]; Brawling-13 (DX+2) [4]; Detect Lies-15 (Per+3) [4]; Diplomacy-12 (IQ+0) [1]; Fast-Talk-14 (IQ+2) [2]; Flight-15 (HT+0) [2]; Intimidation-12 (Will+1) [4]; Occultism-15 (IQ+3) [12]; Polearm-20 (DX+9) [36]; Religious Ritual (Christianity)-12 (IQ+0) [3]; Riding (Equines)-12 (DX+1) [4]; Sex Appeal-23 (HT+8) [2]; Singing-18 (HT+3) [2]; Tactics-10 (IQ-2) [1]; Theology (Christianity)-14 (IQ+2) [12].

Her Signature Gear equipment (8 CP):

Cleansing Fire
Accuracy +2, Puissance +2, Penetrating +3, Lightning Weapon, Hide Object for 12 lbs: 4700 EP
Fine and balanced Halbred + mat cost from LW spell: $2400.

Divine Raimient
Fortify +3, Deflect +3: 2800 EP.

Character Reference Photos:
General appearance and armor, NOT the weapon. Note: My version of the armor won't include the shoulder plates, and also will have the bikini top held up by chain straps (like a normal bikini... but small golden chains) instead of being magically or unsupported.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...serraangel.jpg

Weapon, although it looks a bit too small. She's using the longer poleaxe.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...angelprint.jpg

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR HERE:

1) Critique/commentary on the concept, the design, the points use, anything.

2) Spell suggestions. Clericy stuff that deals with self-buffing for combat, detection, movement (but not teleportation) and maybe some stuff from the air school. Also, remember she already has the Healing adv, so I'm not going to take healing spells too; if you think I should, feel free to explain why.

3) Specifically comment on the skills, as I always forget something important with GURPS skills.

4) Suggestions on playing the character in modern or futuristic settings.

Thanks in advance! :)

Jlerpy
2009-09-28, 09:39 PM
The Innate Attack has a Link that doesn't link to anything.

Kizara
2009-09-28, 11:47 PM
The Innate Attack has a Link that doesn't link to anything.

Crap, thought I fixed that, sorry.

I made an error there, it should be follow-up +0% because she's using it with her weapon: the halbred.

Jlerpy
2009-09-29, 12:44 AM
Crap, thought I fixed that, sorry.

I made an error there, it should be follow-up +0% because she's using it with her weapon: the halbred.

Cool, that makes sense then.

Although: I don't suppose you've considered using Inbuement instead?

Kizara
2009-09-29, 01:53 AM
Cool, that makes sense then.

Although: I don't suppose you've considered using Inbuement instead?

Inbuement? No, I didn't, as I have no idea what that does.

Page ref and explanation please.

Jlerpy
2009-09-30, 06:57 AM
Inbuement? No, I didn't, as I have no idea what that does.

Page ref and explanation please.

Imbuements are the chief way to do neat stuff that changes regular attacks into special attacks: Make your warhammer blow do Double Knockback, set your sword on fire, make your arrows pierce armour, curve your bullets in the air, etc.

They're detailed in GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements (http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG37-0128)