PDA

View Full Version : Updating the Aristotilian System

Amros Aldarion
2009-09-28, 06:29 PM
Tying into my (by now) dead thread on the Aristotilian system (found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123687)), I've decided that Illusion works best as an 'enchantment' in that it effects the perceptions of others: it creates light or sound without producing heat or vibration, and thus must occur within the mind as opposed to in reality.

In addition, I think that certain spells should be more tied to certain component elements:

Duration spells: tied to fire naturally by setting components alight, the spell lasts as long as the flame does.
tied to wind by however long a wind lasts in an area
tied to water by how long it takes for the liquid to evaporate
tied to earth by how how long it takes the grain to pass from one end of a container to the next.

that being said, materially aided spells with durations take more effort (in terms of cost) to maintain than instantaneous spells.

Spells may be cast without components, but doing so either requires the eschew materials feat, or the spell is cast with the following penalties: half range, -2 DC, -2 on Concentration to cast or maintain the spell, 20% spell failure.

the ideal campaign setting for this is a 'hard' campaign: classic setting (3d6 in order, etc)

Thoughts?