PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Suel Arcanamach (Redux) [PrC, ToB]

ErrantX
2009-09-28, 09:25 PM
Author's Notes: As I didn't feel that the original Suel arcanamach presented in the Complete Arcane could do the job it was designed to do as well as it should, I did a slight redesign of the class and gave it some additional abilities. Let me know what you think. -X

---

Suel Arcanamach

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dnd_prc_20070829.jpg
Liam Fahrling, a Suel arcanamach
HD: d8

Requirements:
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Concentration 4 ranks, Jump 4 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks, Tumble 4 ranks.
Feats: Skill Focus (Concentration), Iron Will.
Languages: Ancient Suloise.
Maneuvers: Ability to use 2nd level maneuvers, including at least one strike and one stance.
Special: Must read the Grimoire Arcanamacha, or study with a willing instructor who has done so. Reading the Grimoire requires one full week of uninterrupted study, and the ability to read Ancient Suloise. Learning from a willing instructor requires four weeks of training.

Suel Arcanamach
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0th|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Martial arcanist (light), tenacious spells|2|2||||

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Strike of dispelling|3|2|1|||

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Extended spellstrength|3|3|2|||

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Martial arcanist (shields)|3|3|2|1||

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Favored enemy (arcane spellcasters) +2|4|3|3|2||

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|Improved concentration|4|4|3|2|1|

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|Martial arcanist (medium)|4|4|3|3|2|

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+2|Stance of the Arcanamach|5|4|4|3|2|1

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+3|Strike of magic rending|5|5|4|3|3|2

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+3|Step of the Suel Hunter, favored enemy (arcane spellcasters) +4|5|5|4|4|3|3[/table]

Maneuvers and Spells Known
{table=head]Level|Known|Readied|Stances|0th|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5t h

1st|
0|
0|
0|2|1||||

2nd|
1|
0|
0|2|2|1|||

3rd|
0|
1|
1|3|2|2|||

4th|
1|
0|
0|3|2|2|1||

5th|
0|
0|
0|3|3|2|2||

6th|
1|
1|
0|4|3|3|2|1|

7th|
0|
0|
0|4|3|3|2|2|

8th|
1|
0|
1|4|4|3|3|2|1

9th|
0|
1|
0|5|4|4|3|2|2

10th|
1|
0|
0|5|4|4|3|3|2[/table]

Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex)
Skill Points per Level: 4 + Int modifier

Class Features:

Weapon and armor proficiencies: Suel arcanamach gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Maneuvers: At every odd level, suel arcanamach gains new maneuvers known from the Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, or Shadow Hand disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full suel arcanamach levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.

At levels 3rd, 6th and 9th levels, you gain an additional maneuver readied per day.

Stances Known: At 3rd level you learn a new martial stance from the Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, or Shadow Hand Disciplines. You must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Spells per Day: A Suel arcanamach has the ability to cast a small number of arcane spells. To cast a Suel arcanamach spell, he must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the spell's level, so if he has a Charisma of 10 or lower, cannot cast these spells. Bonus spells are based on Charisma, and saving throws against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level + his Charisma modifier. He has access to any spell of the abjuration, divination, illusion, transmutation, and universal schools on the sorcerer/wizard spell list. He casts spells just as a sorcerer does, including the ability to replace a known Suel arcanamach spell with a new spell at every even-numbered class level beginning at 4th level.

Martial Arcanist (Ex): A Suel arcanamach's practice at merging spellcasting and swordplay results in the ability to cast his spells in light armor at 1st level. At 4th level, the arcanamach learns to cast spells while using bucklers or light shields without chance of arcane spell failure. At 7th level, this ability improves further to allow unhindered spellcasting in medium armor. This class feature only functions when the character is casting a Suel arcanamach spell. Furthermore, the character casts his Suel arcanamach spells with a caster level equal to his initiator level.

Tenacious Spells (Ex): An arcanamach's spells are particularly difficult to dispel; add 6 to the DC required to dispel the character's arcanamach spells.

Strike of Dispelling (Su): The tactics and skills learned from the Grimoire Arcanamacha instruct their disciples in how to defeat the defenses and items of their primary foes: spellcasters. With this in mind, the arcanamach learns how to channel his own innate magic and blend it with the martial disciplines of the Sublime Way. The strike of dispelling is a 3rd level strike of no particular discipline. As a standard action, the arcanamach makes a melee attack against a target. If the attack hits, the arcanamach may immediately make a dispel check with a caster level equal to his initiator level as if he had cast a targeted dispel magic in addition to doing normal damage. This strike is treated as a supernatural ability.

Extended Spellstrength (Ex): At 3rd level, a Suel arcanamach knows how to extend the duration of spells that he casts on himself. The duration of any of his Suel arcanamach spells with which he targets himself with is doubled, as if affected by the Extend Spell feat (but without any adjustments to the spell's effective level or casting time). Spells that target multiple targets are affected by this power, but only the arcanamach gains the extended duration. Spells that do not have a target entry are unaffected by this power, even if the arcanamach is the only one affected.

Favored Enemy (arcane spellcasters) (Ex): The Suel arcanamach gains the favored enemy class feature (as a ranger), with the bonuses applied to any foe that casts arcane spells (casting arcane spells from scrolls, wands, and staves do not count). At 5th level, this bonus is +2 and improves to +4 at 10th level.

Improved Concentration (Ex): At 6th level, the arcanamach has learned to focus his mind to both steel and spell, allowing him to take 10 on Concentration checks.

Stance of the Arcanamach: Upon reaching 8th level, the Suel arcanamach gains a potent stance based upon the instructions within the Grimoire Arcanamacha. This is a 6th level stance of no particular discipline. To enter this stance is a swift action. Once within this stance, the arcanamach may cast one Suel arcanamach spell as a swift action (this cannot be combined with Quicken spell) per round as part of a martial strike or full attack action. Also while in this stance, the arcanamach gains the benefits of having the evasion class feature and the mettle class feature.

Strike of Magic Rending (Su): The pinnacle combat maneuver taught by the Grimoire Arcanamacha to its students is the strike of magic rending. By readying this maneuver, the arcanamach proves his dedication to this ancient art. The strike of magic rending is a 6th level strike of no particular discipline. As a standard action, the arcanamach makes a melee attack against a target. If the attack hits, the arcanamach may immediately make a dispel check with a caster level equal to his initiator level as if he cast a targeted greater dispel magic in addition to doing normal damage. Additionally, anyone within 10ft of the arcanamach (excepting the arcanamach) is affected as if they were hit by an area dispel magic. This strike is treated as a supernatural ability.

Step of the Suel Hunter (Su): The final technique that the Grimoire Arcanamacha can teach its students is the Step of the Suel Hunter. To learn this technique, the aracamach must procure a prism-like crystal (usually fashioned into a piece of jewelry) that a ritual must be performed over with a cost of 5,000 gp (for the crystal and materials for the ritual of the Suel Hunter). Once performed, so long as this prism focus is in the possession of the character, the arcanamach may dimension door (as the spell) once per round as a move action. Unlike the spell dimension door, he may continue to act normally after using this supernatural ability. Should the arcanamach ever lose his prism focus, he may create another one as if he had never fashioned one previously.

Mongoose87
2009-09-28, 10:04 PM
I seem to recall there not being any second level stances.

Xefas
2009-09-28, 10:24 PM
I've wanted a redux of this class for a long time, and this one looks pretty good.

My one piece of advice would be to replace the "Ignore Spell Failure Chance" and its % stuff with just the ability to cast in Medium armor without arcane spell failure.

Godskook
2009-09-28, 10:27 PM
Separate spells known from maneuvers known. That's very confusing at first glance.

Stance of the Arcanamach should only apply to Suel spells, if only because of the feel of the class as a non-true caster. I see you already thought of that, have a cookie.

Improved concentration could probably be upped a little to always allow take 10.(There's a feat that already does that in Races of Stone)

Stycotl
2009-09-29, 04:21 PM
sweet class. the capstone is a little underwhelming, but it might be balanced (not really sure). seems like it could use a boost though, maybe a reciprocal gyre-type ability. other than that though, very nice.

ErrantX
2009-09-29, 05:55 PM
I wasn't sure to be honest, I could remove the ignore spell failures and replace with armored casting, and give the capstone some sort of either offensive or defensive nova. Thoughts?

-X

Stycotl
2009-09-29, 11:17 PM
I wasn't sure to be honest, I could remove the ignore spell failures and replace with armored casting, and give the capstone some sort of either offensive or defensive nova. Thoughts?

-X

that sounds good; it'd be simple and concise as far as the armored casting goes, and the capstone would make people want to go all ten levels.

ErrantX
2009-09-29, 11:24 PM
Okay, to go defensive or offensive with a nova ability...

Also, looking at this class and then at the duskblade, I'm half-tempted to give it some more spells per day/known.

-X

Stycotl
2009-09-29, 11:45 PM
i'd make it offensive, and if you are going to give it more spells, i'd only do more spells per day, and then only a net increase of one per level or so.

the offensive part of the capstone should probably only affect the maneuver's primary target, and it should do a lot of damage. i still like the idea of adding extra damage based off of the number of magical effects currently affecting the creature, like reciprocal gyre, but that is just me.

Doc Roc
2009-10-05, 02:13 AM
Wanna see that capstone of yours.. Hurry-hurry!

Violet Octopus
2009-10-05, 02:48 AM
what about a capstone that causes casters to lose spells prepared/spell uses per day? That and reciprocal gyre damage.

ErrantX
2009-10-05, 07:29 AM
I'm torn between a reciprocal gyre type thing that actually does beat spell slots out and a movement ability that grants Dimension Doors to keep up with pesky wizards. I'm almost finished with a revamp of this project. Any thoughts to those two abilities above?

-X

Stycotl
2009-10-05, 05:34 PM
I'm torn between a reciprocal gyre type thing that actually does beat spell slots out and a movement ability that grants Dimension Doors to keep up with pesky wizards. I'm almost finished with a revamp of this project. Any thoughts to those two abilities above?

-X

the reciprocal gyre thing is more fitting specifically, i think, but the other one could really be cool too. maybe what you need to do is just grant a few specialty spells to the spell list at generally lower level; dimension door, a few abjuration spells, etc.

that could even be a separate ability that doesn't happen until 5th level or so. gives increases utility.

ErrantX
2009-10-24, 11:10 PM
Okay, MAJOR revisions have been done. Changed the ignore spell failure thing out for martial arcanist, changed improved concentration to be just take 10 on Concentration checks, added Step of the Suel Hunter as a capstone to get over the mobility issue of fighting wizards, and added a little more spell power to the class.

I considered the reciprocal gyre thing but I just... I dunno, I couldn't make it come together. I may go ahead and change out the Step of the Suel Hunter and have it just add some teleportation based conjurations to the spells known as free spells.

Let me know what you think! I'd love your thoughts on the capstone.

-X