PDA

View Full Version : Just saw Krull

Berserk Monk
2009-09-28, 11:38 PM
I would like the last two hours of my life back.:smallannoyed:

Starscream
2009-09-28, 11:44 PM
Yeah, that is the sort of movie that should only be viewed under some very specific circumstances: At 3am, with friends, when you have all been up for at least 24 hours and are being kept awake solely by pizza and caffeine.

Then it's like your own little MST3K episode!

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-09-28, 11:46 PM
That movie was terrible. But I can't stop watching it for some reason.
Go watch Legend. Tim Curry is Satan, I mean, The Lord of Darkness.
And it is glorious. Tom Cruise even manages to be good in this movie.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-29, 12:11 AM
Yeah, that is the sort of movie that should only be viewed under some very specific circumstances: At 3am, with friends, when you have all been up for at least 24 hours and are being kept awake solely by pizza and caffeine.

That's actually how I watched it. My school has this club that basically is MST3K: we sit around watching bad movies and make fun of them.

I'm disappointed now. I had to illustrate a movie for one of my art classes and I chose Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders. I wanted to pick a horrible film so I chose that because of the evil monkey, but now I'm starting to wish I could pick Krull.

Verruckt
2009-09-29, 02:01 AM

Do this sometime with Masters of the Universe featuring the illustrious Dolph Lundgren. Comedy gold will ensue I promise you.

No pardon me while I go try to pull my brain out through my ear because I just remembered having seen Masters of the Universe featuring the illustrious Dolph Lundgren.

Starscream
2009-09-29, 02:16 AM
No pardon me while I go try to pull my brain out through my ear because I just remembered having seen Masters of the Universe featuring the illustrious Dolph Lundgren.

Don't forget Frank Langella's incredible performance as Skeletor. Incredible as in he seemed incredibly like a creaky old woman complaining about kids on her lawn.

Megatron46
2009-09-29, 03:33 AM
Ah Krull, wonderfull film! However, it does have a very early Liam Neeson appearance in it! So it is not entirely without merit.

factotum
2009-09-29, 06:40 AM
Hey, I actually quite liked Krull! (Right up until the moment where it turns out that the power of love translates into being able to throw fireballs at people, at any rate...).

pendell
2009-09-29, 07:10 AM
Krull. I can just barely remember that movie from when it first came out in the 80s.

I first encountered it not as a movie but as a coin-operated video game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvKcePjhIO4) in the Brea Mall outside Los Angeles. That would have been 1983-84.

By modern standards, of course, it wasn't very good. By the standards of 1983 it was quite playable , very similar to the contemporary TRON game, also based on a movie.

Anyways, the game colored my perception of the movie. I liked the movie because it was based on a game I liked. But the movie didn't have enough beating-slayers-with-lasers action to suit me.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Killer Angel
2009-09-29, 07:22 AM

I've seen it only once, and it was not so bad, but I don't remember almost anything of it.
(Must be said that I saw it at theatre in the first '80s, and, while not great, wasn't so totally awful for that period.)
I remember only the cyclops who were sad, 'cause they foresaw the time of their death...

Berserk Monk
2009-09-29, 07:24 AM
Could someone explain to me the purpose of the scene with the old guy with the crazy split beard and the web and the giant spider and the old chick with the hourglass? When I watched it, everyone in the room got so frustrated with the slow progression of the movie we fast forwarded through most of that part.

pendell
2009-09-29, 09:00 AM
?? How far along in the movie are you?

IIRC, the movie follows roughly this sequence:

1) The Beast invades.
2) The good guy kingdoms attempt to form an alliance by marriage, which is thwarted
by a slayer attack.The slayers kill everyone except the hero, steal the princess, and ride
off into the sunset.
3) Our hero goes on a quest for the glaive, a weapon that is useful against the bad guys.
4) Having acquired the glaive, our hero is ambushed by outlaws who he recruits into an army.
5) They now need to find the Very Definitely Final Dungeon. Since it moves at sunrise every day, they need a seer -- the emerald wizard -- to tell them where it will show up.
6) A Beast spy kills the Emerald Wizard, takes his place, then attempts to assassinate
our hero. He fails laughably, of course.
7) Well, that didn't work, so we try to see another seer: The widow of the web. The widow provides information, but at a cost. The cost, in this case, is the old guy in the party's life. He pays this price gladly to get the information needed.
8) The widow coughs up the data, then kills what's his name as her price.
9) They go to the black fortress. Hilarity ensues. The plot-centric artifact proves near-useless, but the Power of Love conquers in the end, to the disgust of the audience.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

The J Pizzel
2009-09-29, 09:03 AM
My friend refers to Krull as "the poor man's Star Wars". I have to agree. I hadn't seen it in about 6 years when I suddenly ran across it at used movie store for like 3.50. Obviously I bought and when I got home I invited a buddy over to watch it. We got slammed on Crown and Coke and watched all night. It was awesome. I love that movie (figuratively speaking). And now I own it....yay.

The J Pizzel
2009-09-29, 09:09 AM
?? How far along in the movie are you?

IIRC, the movie follows roughly this sequence:

1) The Beast invades.
2) The good guy kingdoms attempt to form an alliance by marriage, which is thwarted
by a slayer attack.The slayers kill everyone except the hero, steal the princess, and ride
off into the sunset.
3) Our hero goes on a quest for the glaive, a weapon that is useful against the bad guys.
4) Having acquired the glaive, our hero is ambushed by outlaws who he recruits into an army.
5) They now need to find the Very Definitely Final Dungeon. Since it moves at sunrise every day, they need a seer -- the emerald wizard -- to tell them where it will show up.
6) A Beast spy kills the Emerald Wizard, takes his place, then attempts to assassinate
our hero. He fails laughably, of course.
7) Well, that didn't work, so we try to see another seer: The widow of the web. The widow provides information, but at a cost. The cost, in this case, is the old guy in the party's life. He pays this price gladly to get the information needed.
8) The widow coughs up the data, then kills what's his name as her price.
9) They go to the black fortress. Hilarity ensues. The plot-centric artifact proves near-useless, but the Power of Love conquers in the end, to the disgust of the audience.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Didn't the old man survive? The old Widow of the Web gives the old man magic dust, which puts a Hold Monster Spell on the giant spider so he can climb back out safely. Then the giant spider gets all pissy and goes and blows up her little cocoon in the center of the web, thus killing her instead.

Tirian
2009-09-29, 09:20 AM
Yikes. If you're going to watch a bad action movie, at least make it (the original) Death Race 2000 or The Running Man.

I think the only bad thing about Okami is that it brought on Krull flashbacks.

pendell
2009-09-29, 09:28 AM
Didn't the old man survive? The old Widow of the Web gives the old man magic dust, which puts a Hold Monster Spell on the giant spider so he can climb back out safely. Then the giant spider gets all pissy and goes and blows up her little cocoon in the center of the web, thus killing her instead.

Hmm ... you may be right. It's been about a year since I saw the movie on an old VHS tape.

Yeah , the widow loved whats-his-name and so gave up her own life for his. I think that's
the way that works. The Power of Love PWNS all again! You'd think it was a theme or something.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Indon
2009-09-29, 09:39 AM
Krull! <3

It's so awesome in a corny way (and vice-versa).

Yeah , the widow loved whats-his-name and so gave up her own life for his. I think that's
the way that works. The Power of Love PWNS all again! You'd think it was a theme or something.

Nope, the old guy still dies, just in the next scene - the sand he's given measures the remaining moments of his life, and he can't hold the sand in the stupid grip he uses.

He uses the last moments of his life to convey the information he needed to to the party.

Also, that plot summary completely missed cyclops guy's subplot!

bosssmiley
2009-09-29, 11:35 AM

Why? Presumably so you can spend the time watching Beastmaster (Conan the Barb, minus James Earl Jones and stone circle fight, plus cute animals and "Suddenly, squidgy raep monsters!") or the raw awesome that is Hawk the Slayer (fantasy western, every scene stolen by Jack Palance chewing the scenery while wearing a bucket). :smallbiggrin:

I always remember the web and spider segment in Krull being more amazing than it actually was...

Jimorian
2009-09-29, 11:58 AM
Krull. I can just barely remember that movie from when it first came out in the 80s.

I first encountered it not as a movie but as a coin-operated video game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvKcePjhIO4) in the Brea Mall outside Los Angeles. That would have been 1983-84.

By modern standards, of course, it wasn't very good. By the standards of 1983 it was quite playable , very similar to the contemporary TRON game, also based on a movie.

Anyways, the game colored my perception of the movie. I liked the movie because it was based on a game I liked. But the movie didn't have enough beating-slayers-with-lasers action to suit me.

I got you beat. I was introduced to the movie via the CARD GAME (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25901). :smalltongue:

Which was actually a pretty good multiplayer game. Played it a LOT with friends at school during lunchtime.

Now the movie itself...

Myshlaevsky
2009-09-29, 12:10 PM
I apparently loved this movie as a tiny child but have no recollection of it or even of liking it.

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-29, 02:39 PM
I apparently loved this movie as a tiny child but have no recollection of it or even of liking it.

Yeah... I think I saw it at 12 and dismissed it immediately. I had already seen Star Wars, Tron, the Conan movies and a few others. This was the worst until I saw He-Man with Dolph.

Hopeless
2009-09-29, 02:42 PM
Could someone explain to me the purpose of the scene with the old guy with the crazy split beard and the web and the giant spider and the old chick with the hourglass? When I watched it, everyone in the room got so frustrated with the slow progression of the movie we fast forwarded through most of that part.

The guy with the beard and the widow in the web were both seers, the Beats blocked the emerald wizard from seeing where his fortress was going to next so he had to go to a special oracle place to penentrate the Beasts' misdirection spells and was promptly killed and replaced by a changeling to kill the hero but a Cyclops with a trident has a higher perception than the entire party!
The widow was the old hero's mentor's former love who killed their son whilst he was busy travelling, he went to her once the emerald wizard was dead however this meant certain death and she gave her life so he could give the hero's bride to be a chance of being saved as they shared the same name.

I believe killing their son was why she was imprisoned in the web, however why hasn't anyone mentioned the transmuter who keeps casting his polymorph spells on himself by mistake?

Actually liked that movie, given you mentioned Liam Neilson how about Todd Carty or Robbie Coltrane?

I think there was others of note, still Hawk the Slayer does kick it into touch!

FoE
2009-09-29, 03:14 PM
Krull and its ilk are why fantasy became an 'F' word in Hollywood until LotR and Harry Potter.

zyphyr
2009-09-29, 04:50 PM
If I turn off the critcal parts of my brain, I can enjoy Krull, or any of the other movies mentioned in this thread. Unfortunately, the moment I start allowing myself to actually think about what is going on I have to stop watching.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-29, 09:14 PM

I apparently saw this movie as a little kid as well but didn't realize it until I saw it again. Like, I only remembered the scene where the cyclops (who had no name by the way, it just said "cyclops" in the end credits) gets crushed to death helping the other guys into the castle, and didn't remember it until I saw the scene again.

Starscream
2009-09-30, 01:20 AM
Why? Presumably so you can spend the time watching Beastmaster (Conan the Barb, minus James Earl Jones and stone circle fight, plus cute animals and "Suddenly, squidgy raep monsters!") or the raw awesome that is Hawk the Slayer (fantasy western, every scene stolen by Jack Palance chewing the scenery while wearing a bucket). :smallbiggrin:

Oh, man, Beastmaster and Hawk are both movies that everyone should see once, and if they don't enjoy themselves at least a little bit they have no souls.

I'm pretty sure someone actually transcribed sessions of their silliest D&D games into scripts to make those films. I can just see the DM scratching his head when the Druid explains why he is keeping ferrets as his animal companions, and laughing like hell every time Palance's player opens his mouth.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-01, 08:21 PM
I actually liked Krull. But then again, I like to watch stupid or cheesy movies for the sake of watching them, really. I don't even MST3K them. I'm not witty enough to do that.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-01, 11:42 PM
I don't even MST3K them. I'm not witty enough to do that.

You'd get better with practice.

arguskos
2009-10-02, 12:08 AM
Meh. Krull was amusing. I laughed. Go watch Yor, the Hunter from the Future and Manos, the Hands of Fate. Then, and only then, can you complain to me about bad films. :smallamused:

Berserk Monk
2009-10-02, 01:20 AM
Meh. Krull was amusing. I laughed. Go watch Yor, the Hunter from the Future and Manos, the Hands of Fate. Then, and only then, can you complain to me about bad films. :smallamused:

Saw Manos on an episode of MST3K.

factotum
2009-10-02, 01:40 AM
Saw Manos on an episode of MST3K.

Watching a truly bad film on MST3K doesn't count, because the commentary is generally quite entertaining in that case. You have to watch the original without any sort of entertaining add-ons to really appreciate the true awfulness.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-02, 03:28 AM
Watching a truly bad film on MST3K doesn't count, because the commentary is generally quite entertaining in that case. You have to watch the original without any sort of entertaining add-ons to really appreciate the true awfulness.

Why not just ask me to poor lava down my throat.