PDA

View Full Version : Battleswarm

Smight
2009-09-29, 01:14 AM
Battleswarm (http://www.battleswarm.net/game/) FPS vs RTS seems interesting concept,
open beta is in progres if anyone is interested

AgentPaper
2009-09-29, 01:30 AM
Seems...interesting. :smallamused: Downloading the beta right now.

Edit: Kinda reminds me of DnD, with the DM controlling a bunch of monsters and the player trying to get through them.

And since the OP didn't really explain it, here's the site's explanation of the game:

Battleswarm™: Field of Honor™ is a revolutionary new game which pits First-Person Shooters against Real-Time Strategists in epic online battles waged between elite Human Soldiers and massive swarms of Bugs.

Celesyne
2009-09-29, 08:12 AM
I've already ran through the beta once, and though an interesting concept it was kinda meh, unless you just really wanted to kill a LOT of stuff without trying to hard, at least from the FPS side. RTS end of it is just to spam units out of your 6 "hives" as fast as you can, and try to outsmart the shooters. After about 50 games where the FPS side only lost once (with me on the FPS side), and another 40 games (with me on the RTS side) where they never lost it seemed really imbalanced. There are certain bug combos that are almost unbeateable on certain maps, but with the "buy your stuff for a limited amount of time using earned points" gimmick it just doesn't flow with me. If your on the winning side the points arent too hard to come by, but a loss nets you less than 10 points a game.

I know its still in beta, but with the HEAVY skew towards the FPS side it just doesn't seem fair. as the FPS guy can go into a game with the base gear and do decent, an RTS'r that goes into one with the base bugs is virtually guaranteed to lose. If you dont mind just mindless killing from the FPS side, or near constant losses on the RTS its a good game, just not something i see myself playing.

AgentPaper
2009-09-29, 01:41 PM
After playing it a bit myself, I have to agree. The concept has potential, but they really didn't use any of it. The maps need to be bigger, so the RTS guys can actually move their units around to try and ambush the FPS guys, or at least hit them from multiple angles, and the RTS units really need to be made a lot tougher, and harder to make, so that they can actually pose a threat to the FPSers. As well, there NEEDS to be some kind of resource system for the bugs besides how long it takes for each type to spawn. Right now, any strategy will boil down to "put waypoint at point X and spam unit Y" because otherwise the FPSers will run into your base and destroy you before you can build up your units.

The game just turns into a DPS race, where the FPS people have to kill bugs faster than the bugs can make more bugs, or they loose, which currently favors the FPS. They could try to buff the bugs, but all that would do is make the damage race favor the bugs instead of the FPS, and the game would still come down to "Charge the enemy base while holding down the 'fire' button." Limited ammo would also probably help to make the FPS side more interesting.

Then, you could add sub-goals around the map, which the bugs and the FPSers can capture, which give the bugs more resources to make more and more powerful bugs, and give the players a place to re-stock ammo and resources to get upgrades and better weapons and such. There should also be fixed defenses like turrets and towers and such, which can also be captured back and forth, which would let the bugs actually take a second to think and build up a force, which is impossible right now because on almost any map, the humans start out within a stone's throw of the bug's base, and will always be there and shooting before the bug player can even get half his forces up.

Astrella
2009-09-29, 02:23 PM
It looks rather interesting, though, my first thought upon seeing is was "I should make a Warcraft map like this." :smalltongue:

AgentPaper
2009-09-29, 03:48 PM
It looks rather interesting, though, my first thought upon seeing is was "I should make a Warcraft map like this." :smalltongue:

Actually, the first thing I thought when I started playing on the bug side was "This looks like a WC3 custom map". It even has the same exact interface, down to the items being in a 2x3 grid in the same place that WC3 has it, and you use the items by pressing the 7, 8, 4, 5, 1, and 2 keys. I wouldn't be surprised if this was originally a SC custom map. :smallamused: