PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Do resistances from different sources stack?

Hephaestus
2009-09-29, 01:20 AM
Hi, I'm thinking of building a Tiefling character for an upcoming campaign and was wondering if resistances stack.

For example, if a tiefling which naturally has Resistance to Fire 5; gains a class feature or gets a magic item that grants Resistance to Fire 20. Do the two stack together to form Resistance to Fire 25, or does it just become Resistance to Fire 20?

Salt_Crow
2009-09-29, 01:31 AM
According to SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#resistanceToEnergy), racial energy resistance does not stack with resistance granted by spells (and specifically spells). Therefore I'd say racial features and class features would stack.

taltamir
2009-09-29, 01:52 AM
they don't stack, as a result most LA templates are not all that worthwhile (never worth it for casters, not bad for fighters). Because extra class levels keep on increasing in power. LA abilities give you a specific bonus that becomes completely obsolete at higher levels.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-29, 08:09 AM
For example, if a tiefling which naturally has Resistance to Fire 5; gains a class feature or gets a magic item that grants Resistance to Fire 20.
Your answer is provided in the question. Resistance to fire 5 is always 5 points of fire resistance. Only Resistance to fire +5 would stack with something else, and that's not something I've seen in the game.

Person_Man
2009-09-29, 08:34 AM
Energy Resistance never stacks.

Also, Energy Resistance does not work like Damage Reduction. Energy Resistance applies to X points of damage per round, whereas Damage Reduction applies to X points of damage per attack. If I have Fire Resistance 10, and I get hit by a Fireball, I resist 10 points of the damage. If I get hit by another Fireball the same turn, I resist 0 points of the damage.

Tyndmyr
2009-09-29, 08:37 AM
I believe I saw a template or item once that said +x to existing racial resistance. Can't recall where. That would of course stack, presuming you had existing resistance for that type.

Otherwise, nope.

Cyclocone
2009-09-29, 08:45 AM
As said, energy resistance from multiple sources never stack unless specifically mentioned as doing so.
If you look at the Hellfire Warlock (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061207a&page=3), you'll notice that it's fire resistance is specifically called out to stack with the normal 'locks fire resistence.

Resistance to Fire 10 (Ex): At 2nd level, you gain resistance to fire 10. This resistance stacks with any resistance to fire you have gained from warlock class levels.

Eloel
2009-09-29, 08:49 AM

Also, Energy Resistance does not work like Damage Reduction. Energy Resistance applies to X points of damage per round, whereas Damage Reduction applies to X points of damage per attack. If I have Fire Resistance 10, and I get hit by a Fireball, I resist 10 points of the damage. If I get hit by another Fireball the same turn, I resist 0 points of the damage.

There was an argument about some ERs behaving like DR. I can't for my life remember which one counted for which side, but it was Racial vs Spells.

Asheram
2009-09-29, 08:51 AM
Your answer is provided in the question. Resistance to fire 5 is always 5 points of fire resistance. Only Resistance to fire +5 would stack with something else, and that's not something I've seen in the game.

Unfortunatly. So no picking coal out of a forge with your bare hands for you. :)

Keshay
2009-09-29, 08:57 AM

This is incorrect,

Resist Energy
Abjuration
Level: Clr 2, Drd 2, Fire 3, Pal 2, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This abjuration grants a creature limited protection from damage of whichever one of five energy types you select: acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. The subject gains energy resistance 10 against the energy type chosen, meaning that each time the creature is subjected to such damage (whether from a natural or magical source), that damage is reduced by 10 points before being applied to the creature’s hit points. The value of the energy resistance granted increases to 20 points at 7th level and to a maximum of 30 points at 11th level. The spell protects the recipient’s equipment as well.

Resist energy absorbs only damage. The subject could still suffer unfortunate side effects.

Note: Resist energy overlaps (and does not stack with) protection from energy. If a character is warded by protection from energy and resist energy, the protection spell absorbs damage until its power is exhausted.

As you can see the spell descriptor for Resist Energy specifically states that the damage is reduced each time the damage is applied.

Edit: read the original quote wrong, the refernce to Protection from Energy was unnecessary...

Kalirren
2009-09-29, 01:34 PM
Well, that's a rules typo. I believe the Resist Energy quote, but the SRD also says this:

A creature with resistance to energy has the ability (usually extraordinary) to ignore some damage of a certain type each round, but it does not have total immunity.

Each resistance ability is defined by what energy type it resists and how many points of damage are resisted. It doesn’t matter whether the damage has a mundane or magical source.

When resistance completely negates the damage from an energy attack, the attack does not disrupt a spell. This resistance does not stack with the resistance that a spell might provide.

So which is correct? Since the spell Resist Energy clearly says the effect is to grant the Energy Resistance SQ, but then proceeds to screw up exactly what the mechanic of that SQ does, what precisely does the spell do? What was RAI?

Curmudgeon
2009-09-29, 02:05 PM
You always follow specific rules, so Resist Energy applies to every individual instance of damage. Creatures who get energy resistance from race or class traits follow the general rule for the special quality.

Person_Man
2009-09-29, 03:01 PM
What Curmudgeon said. Hephaestus was asking about Tieflings, which use the rule I specified.