PDA

View Full Version : Bard items

Seatbelt
2009-09-29, 01:31 AM
I'm running Ravenloft for a group of players. I have a semi-serious player who is also pretty new. He is playing a Bard. He wants to specialize in the knowledges. He's taken craft wonderous item and brew potion. I told him I would equip him since he's pretty new. I'm swamped with homework atm and was hoping the Playground could help me out. What would be good kit for a bard?

On a related note, he and the druid make up all the party's healing. He has taken UMD. I planned on giving them both extra potions and such.

ericgrau
2009-09-29, 03:47 AM
What level is he and how much wealth does he get for gear? I'd get him a wand of cure light wounds and some masterwork weapons, but beyond that I'd need to know how much he gets.

Be sure to look at the knowledge skills and find out which one each monster fits under. Every time they meet something, ask for the appropriate check(s). If he succeeds tell him what it is plus one ability/weakness/etc., plus an additional piece of info for every 5 points by which he beats the check. Also look at the DCs and situations for general knowledge and bardic knowledge.

I assume brew potion is for lots of CSW or CCW potions for the party? Otherwise I don't see him getting much mileage out of it. Craft wondrous item is limited by his spell list, so make sure he has the right spells. Otherwise something like crafts arms and armor or maybe craft ring may be better for a bard. Besides the usual stuff, he can add skill bonuses to armor. The party rogue will thank him

Kaiyanwang
2009-09-29, 04:07 AM
Another question: which instruments he plays? If is enough high of level, we could look for some magic instrument could be fun have one him..

Eldan
2009-09-29, 04:20 AM
In either Complete Arcane or Adventurer (I think the last one) there is a section on masterwork instruments of various kinds which increase boni or saves granted by/taken against various musical abilities. I think every bard will like them.
If the bard is higher level, think about what he likes to do. Now, this bard likes knowledge, so an item that is useful there can be really nice. I made a homebrew item once, an intelligent item in the shape of a book which provided useful advice on various subjects when asked.

Seatbelt
2009-09-29, 07:18 AM
I cant believe I forgot to mention. Sorry, they are all level 6. His perform is "Sing"

deuxhero
2009-09-29, 07:30 AM
Edition? If it is 3.5, allow him to use any spell on his list for the purpose of crafting/have a wizard in the party (acctualy, if you have a wizard, he should be taking it, it can qualify him for a good number of PRCs.).

Seatbelt
2009-09-29, 08:30 AM
3.5 edition.

riddles
2009-09-29, 08:41 AM
vest of legend (dmg2) and badge of valor (mic) are good equipment to boost inspire courage. as is the feat song of the heart.

if he wants to focus on knowledge - the knowledge devotion feat is fantastic for a combat bard.

CLW is on his spell list so a wand of that would not go amiss.

check out also a harmonizing crystal echoblade (both weapon and enhancement in MIC) to boost his combat potential even more.

i'm not skilled with the craft feats so i'll avoid talking about them.

Telonius
2009-09-29, 09:20 AM
Equipment choice for a bard does kind of depend on the role he takes most often. If you don't know that ahead of time, I'd suggest taking things that would benefit in a wide variety of situations. Just going from Core: Charisma boosting item and Circlet of Persuasion, obviously. Hat of Disguise can be great for a Bard if he's in a more of a social type of campaign. Glamered Light Fortification armor can be thematic and useful, if he can afford it. You can never go wrong with a Handy Haversack, or an Ehlonna's Quiver if he's an Archer.

deuxhero
2009-09-29, 09:25 AM
Oh, do you have acess to sublime cord?

Seatbelt
2009-09-29, 12:58 PM
The campaign will run to level 12 or so. Truthfully I dont expect him to play very long. He has other commitments during the usual game time and I think once he realizes whats going on in the campaign he's going to want to switch characters.

ericgrau
2009-09-29, 01:09 PM
At level 6 he doesn't get much gear. First off, charisma is a bard trap. Unless he uses spells with saves, which bards aren't so hot at anyway, he doesn't have much use for it. The attribute boost to skills only helps so much, and even then I'd get a circlet of persuasion, not a cloak of charisma.

Try all the misc stuff I said before. Besides that, +1 armor is nice, perhaps with a skill boosting enchantment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm). A item for +2 to str or con might be handy. Since he's probably the utility guy, check out the many interesting wondrous items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm). Look at the table in the beginning, sorted by price, so you can find the cheaper ones. Then click on the link to read about the item. A ring of protection and/or amulet of natural armor +1 might be handy too. A handy haversack might be good if he expects to carry a lot.