PDA

View Full Version : Quick CR question

Superglucose
2009-09-29, 03:30 AM
So party so far:
Healing focused Cleric (who also stacked up on the divine casting side of things with Hold Person, etc, and wisely listened to advice to prepare very few healing spells), C Zilla, and D Zilla. We're considering adding a Sorceror and something else, probably rogue. I'm the GM, and I'm not concerned about Sorceror/CoD Zilla overshadowing (since the Rogue will be primary skill monkey and there will be a lot of opportunities for him to shine), but I do want to know.

The party's level is 6, soon to be 7. Do you think this party of 7 can handle a CR 12 monster?

Ernir
2009-09-29, 05:44 AM
CR 12... is that a level 12 Wizard that has spent the last week scrying on them, or a huge bug stuck in a cave where it does not have room to maneuver?

Regardless of what it is, I would worry the most about it if it is something that deals a significant amount of damage. If the monster can one-shot-KO the PCs, they might be in trouble. If not, the weight of their action advantage (and that they are apparently competent enough to do something with their actions) should start working in their favour.

Belial_the_Leveler
2009-09-29, 05:54 AM
Abyssal Greater Basilisk with ability focus and the various gaze-improving feats. DC 25 fortitude save or be turned to stone. :smallamused:

ericgrau
2009-09-29, 01:58 PM
So party so far:
Healing focused Cleric (who also stacked up on the divine casting side of things with Hold Person, etc, and wisely listened to advice to prepare very few healing spells), C Zilla, and D Zilla. We're considering adding a Sorceror and something else, probably rogue. I'm the GM, and I'm not concerned about Sorceror/CoD Zilla overshadowing (since the Rogue will be primary skill monkey and there will be a lot of opportunities for him to shine), but I do want to know.

The party's level is 6, soon to be 7. Do you think this party of 7 can handle a CR 12 monster?

On an even playing field I'd guess 50:50 chance of TPK. Depending on how well the dungeon is set up, scouting, what prep the monster has done (like buffing or scrying), what prep the PCs have done, how well the PC abilities fit the monster's weaknesses, etc. that could change things. So assuming the PCs know what they're up against, prepare for it, scout it out, get surprise, and exploit its weaknesses, their chances are pretty good. Even then 1 or 2 PCs still might die though.

Thrawn183
2009-09-29, 04:46 PM
I think it largely depends if the party can look at the monster and realize what a challenge it is. If the party looks at say... a Colossal monstrous scorpion (a CR 12) and thinks that it is going to be a knockover... they'll be in trouble. OtOH, if they realize what kind of threat it is, they probably will stand a decent chance.

This of course depends on whether or not it is the only encounter of the day. If the part has already used up their best spells for the day, they are probably going to be in trouble.

Tyndmyr
2009-09-29, 05:18 PM
I tend to shy away from +5 level encounters. If I understand correctly, the party currently consists of 3 level 6 players that will soon level, and may add up to two more players. That seems like a pretty brutal matchup, and it's quite likely that, at a minimum, someone will end up dead as a result. Depending on luck, possibly all, since if one drops early, it'll make it difficult for the remainders.

What monster, and what is this encounter supposed to achieve?

PinkysBrain
2009-09-29, 05:26 PM
They can handle a CR12 monster ... but they can't handle an EL12 encounter, of course if you let them prepare for a dumb monster which is meant to attack from ambush then it shouldn't be EL12.

AslanCross
2009-09-29, 05:50 PM
If you've seen them in action before, try to gauge their ability. If they're fighting a 12th-level fighter or Monk, maybe they could win.

If they're fighting a CR 12 Dragon or outsider, probably not.