PDA

View Full Version : The secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-29, 04:46 AM
Only €8.99 on Steam...!

I must admit I never actually played any of these, ever! It's fun, but it lacks... flexibility, obviously. (This is why as soon as I played my first CRPG I stopped playing any Adventure games, because of the non-replayability; you can't choose a different option or play as a different character). Worth the money though.

Comet
2009-09-29, 05:00 AM
I liked the old graphics way more. They had class.
The hint system was absolutely laughable. You could just hit 'H' until the game solved itself for you.

But Monkey Island is still Monkey Island and it's been a while since I last played it through. And the voice acting was solid.
Now if only they'd make a remake of LOOM :smallcool:

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-29, 06:17 AM
But Monkey Island is still Monkey Island and it's been a while since I last played it through. And the voice acting was solid.
Now if only they'd make a remake of LOOM :smallcool:

Not to mention Grim Fandango.

MickJay
2009-09-29, 06:22 AM
I thought there already was an updated version of Loom, with added voice and such?

As for adventure games and replayability, there's a really good Quest for Glory series, which is a bit of rpg/adventure hybrid. It lets you play three (in later games four) different classes, each has a different preferred solution to the puzzles. The first two EGA games got their remakes (1st official, 2nd game fan-made). There are some problems with getting the series legally (though there usually are a few copies on Amazon), and some of the games need extra fixes apart from the patches, but they can all be found online.

Comet
2009-09-29, 06:25 AM
I thought there already was an updated version of Loom, with added voice and such?
Very possible. It would still have to be pretty old, though.

I've heard rumours that Telltale is buying even more Lucasarts IP. There's even been talk about an episodic Loom sequel. That would be sweet.

Man, I miss the glory days of Lucasarts.

factotum
2009-09-29, 06:42 AM
Not to mention Grim Fandango.

Not sure why they NEED to remake Grim Fandango. The limitations of the 3D engine they used just added to the game's charm, I think, especially the way they had to do all the skeletons as those papier-mache ones from Central American festivals rather than as real gruesome ones!

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-29, 01:51 PM
Not sure why they NEED to remake Grim Fandango. The limitations of the 3D engine they used just added to the game's charm, I think, especially the way they had to do all the skeletons as those papier-mache ones from Central American festivals rather than as real gruesome ones!

Because I can't make it work in anything newer than W2k. I never got it to work on XP.

I liked the old graphics way more. They had class.

Oh forgot: So? Use them then. Press F10 and play with the old graphics (and sound). :smallsmile:

Comet
2009-09-29, 02:00 PM
So? Use them then. Press F10 and play with the old graphics (and sound).
Most of the time I did just that. Spotting the differences was so much fun, I ended up going throught the game hitting f10 every ten seconds or so. :smallbiggrin:
You know what would've been an interesting option? To let us combine the old graphics with the new soundscape. That would've been grand.

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-29, 02:03 PM
You know what would've been an interesting option? To let us combine the old graphics with the new soundscape. That would've been grand.

I think you are only about the 100000000 person saying that. But yes; although I prefer the new graphics (I have no nostalgia connected to the old) that would be good.

Oh and I find myself spotting the things that are almost the same instead; it does impress me what they could do with that old stuff.

Muz
2009-09-29, 06:04 PM
I must admit I never actually played any of these, ever! It's fun, but it lacks... flexibility, obviously. (This is why as soon as I played my first CRPG I stopped playing any Adventure games, because of the non-replayability; you can't choose a different option or play as a different character). Worth the money though.

*coughs* Quest for Glory *coughs* :smallwink: