PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Rule Question(s)

Ankhman
2009-09-29, 08:38 AM
Currently i'm running the "Shackled City"-adventure path and my group consists of 6 opt-happy killers (exept the cleric, he just plays for the fun of it).

The sneaksniper halfling just bought himself some blur strike daggers, that he can throw at anything, that he can't sneak normally.
The question is - blur strike is only available to melee weapons, what these daggers are .. technically. But if he throws them, is the effect still applied to the attack or does it wear of the moment the weapon leaves his hands?

Eloel
2009-09-29, 08:47 AM
They don't apply when thrown. Just like how you're 'throwing' arrows (as opposed to using them as melee weapons - certainly possible, although weird and really, WTF?), and you can't apply melee enhancements to them.

He might want to check out Bloodstorm Blade (or something like that) from Tome of Battle, which can throw melee weapons, and still make them count as melee attacks.

Temet Nosce
2009-09-29, 10:03 AM
They don't apply when thrown. Just like how you're 'throwing' arrows (as opposed to using them as melee weapons - certainly possible, although weird and really, WTF?), and you can't apply melee enhancements to them.

He might want to check out Bloodstorm Blade (or something like that) from Tome of Battle, which can throw melee weapons, and still make them count as melee attacks.

Hmm... Where is this from? A quick search of the relevant section of the DMG isn't revealing anything, and I've never heard of such a rule before.

olelia
2009-09-29, 10:04 AM
I think it's purely on the premise of once thrown they are no longer "melee" weapons but thrown weapons.

Person_Man
2009-09-29, 11:04 AM
Since I'm AFB right now, I can't give a RAW answer. But I'd let him do it. He's still held to the 30ft restriction, and half the enemies in the MM's are immune to precision damage, and his damage output is going to be far less then a moderately optimized Sir Chargealot or CoDzilla or Blaster Wizard.

Temet Nosce
2009-09-29, 11:39 AM
I think it's purely on the premise of once thrown they are no longer "melee" weapons but thrown weapons.

Yeah, I wanted to make sure it wasn't something I'd missed (or possibly in some book other than the DMG), but since he's logged on since I posted and hasn't responded I suspect you're right.

@Op - As far as I know the rules only provide for limiting the kind of weapons you can apply certain abilities to. You'd have to make a houserule to stop your player from doing that, which you should probably talk over with him if it's a serious issue (although it really shouldn't be, the damage output isn't that high, particularly in an optimized party like Person_Man mentioned)

Glyde
2009-09-29, 11:42 AM
Melee weapons with range increments are the 'special' weapons in my games, in that they are treated as melee weapons for the purposes of what enchantments you can stick on them, and the only 'ranged' weapons that can make use of those enchantments.

I thought that's how it's supposed to be, though.

Ankhman
2009-09-29, 06:10 PM
Hmm .. well thanks for the advice everyone. I'm still not sure what to do, but i'm certain, he will meet some more undead and constructs the next few meetings :)