PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for a smaller group 4e

DizzyD
2009-09-29, 08:55 AM
I'm preparing a game for a smaller group of 4 Players. Most modules are built for 5 and although we have played a few of them with only 4 players I want the Players to feel like its fair. I'm typically a bit better tactically as well and don't want a TPK right off the bat. I don't want it to be to easy for them either. My original plan was to give them a little extra starting gold so that they might be able to purchase and extra item that would help them. My latest idea is to give them a few extra points for abilities. Has anyone experimented with this sort of thing and might have suggestions on how many extra points to give them and or gold amounts?

Kurald Galain
2009-09-29, 09:09 AM
The official system is to simply remove 20% of the monsters.

DizzyD
2009-09-29, 09:14 AM
Thats boring...

The J Pizzel
2009-09-29, 09:17 AM
Thats boring...

Life is boring. Get used to it. What do you think this is, Fantasy or something?

Nah, I'm joking. Honestly, I would simply make some quick adjustments to the monster roster. It's easy and timely and you don't have to worry about accidently making them over powered with items or abilities. .02

Sipex
2009-09-29, 09:19 AM
A method I read about that seems to work well (and no adjustments!)

Grant an action point after every encounter instead of every 2. The extra actions your players can take will make up for the missing member.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-29, 09:43 AM
Thats boring...

You know, it's not very nice to ask for advice and then deride the advice you get. Just sayin'.

KIDS
2009-09-29, 09:49 AM
Given how very easy removing one of 5 monsters or reducing a solo/elite by 1 level, it seems the easiest solution to me too.

Thajocoth
2009-09-29, 10:14 AM
Officially, you're supposed to add up an encounter's XP value, divide by 5, multiply by the number of players you have, and adjust the encounter's content to be close to the new XP value. You're also supposed to give 1 less magic item per level than the number of players you have, so there's a slight loot adjustment.

Though, thinking about it, the bonus action point thing could work... The players will level faster, but there's really no harm in that.

I'm not using modules, so I have a collection of enemies each battle and a target encounter level. I decide on the battle at the time of the battle based on how many players show up. A module can likely be modified to do this if you want. Total the XP, divide by 5, and that's your target XP per player... Then at the table, you multiply that by player quantity and toss in the encounter's existing enemies until you reach that number you just made.

DizzyD
2009-09-29, 10:37 AM
You know, it's not very nice to ask for advice and then deride the advice you get. Just sayin'.

I wasn't attempting to "deride" your "advice", but your "advice" is in the book. I'm asking for an alternate way of doing it because I don't like that method.

I like the idea of an action point after every battle. Its easy and gives the PC a reason to use there action point without worrying about having one for the next battle, which could also make the fights a little more interesting and cinematic... I will consider.

Any other alternative Ideas or suggestions for my ideas?

Mando Knight
2009-09-29, 10:41 AM
I wasn't attempting to "deride" your "advice", but your "advice" is in the book. I'm asking for an alternate way of doing it because I don't like that method.

It's in the book because WotC's playtesters thought that was the best way to handle it.

Galdor Miriel
2009-09-29, 10:44 AM
In the dmg 2 they recomend and have rules for companion characters. Characters that they meet during their adventures that can be statted out simply and used by whoever wants to in the game, giving 5 or 6 people to the group. They are very simple and would not slow things down too much and I plan on using them for sessions when we miss a person.

You should check them out as they add to the story as well as being practical.

Kylarra
2009-09-29, 10:44 AM
Alternatively, 4 isn't that much less than 5, so if your players prepare appropriately (ie extra healing potions or synergistic strategies), and aren't on a time limit (to account for needing to take extended rests more often), you can still probably run them straight through without adjustments. They'll get slightly higher rewards in exchange for higher danger.

Also alternatively, NPC pacifist cleric.

taltamir
2009-09-29, 11:09 AM
just change nothing...
sure the fights are a bit tougher... but 4 instead of 5 people means more loot and XP per person.

Dragatus
2009-09-29, 11:52 AM
In my experience a level appropriate encounter is easy. For example 4 level 1 adventurers against 4 level 1 monsters is almost a pushover. When I played Keep on the Shadowfell we were 3 players and we were doing just fine with the premade characters. Though I wasn't there for the battle with Irontooth and heard that the DM added an extra character (the other two palyers were controlling two PCs each) and we only played one session after that.

Still, I think the players should be fine even if you don't adjust anything.

Eorran
2009-09-29, 01:01 PM
Thread hijack!
What do you suggest for a 2-person group? I'm DMing for 2 players, starting level 11. We have a Paladin (MC Warlord) and a Chaos Sorcerer, so we have all the roles covered...thinly.

I was probably going to suggest bringing an NPC along, probably a Dragonborn with a class template added on.
How do you handle monsters as part of the party? I think it might be problematic for healing, since they aren't designed for it, and consequently have a lot more HP.

Disclaimer: I don't have the DMG2, or a DDI subscription.

Sipex
2009-09-29, 01:06 PM
Best design a new character altogether but if you want to avoid that (ie: Have this other character act as some sort of hireling) then I'd suggest making him up them applying the healing surge rules to him. If the dragonborn is a close to a leader type class then give him healing surges equal to what most leaders get...same if he's a striker, defender or controller.

Kylarra
2009-09-29, 01:11 PM
Thread hijack!
What do you suggest for a 2-person group? I'm DMing for 2 players, starting level 11. We have a Paladin (MC Warlord) and a Chaos Sorcerer, so we have all the roles covered...thinly.

I was probably going to suggest bringing an NPC along, probably a Dragonborn with a class template added on.
How do you handle monsters as part of the party? I think it might be problematic for healing, since they aren't designed for it, and consequently have a lot more HP.

Disclaimer: I don't have the DMG2, or a DDI subscription.You could probably kill the LoH limit, assuming he's not one of the other types, and be "good" . You'll have short days, but no shortage of healing!

tcrudisi
2009-09-29, 01:58 PM
For the OP, I play in a group that doesn't have a healer. We have four people: a defender that rarely marks, a Wizard that always uses Magic Missile, a Rogue that is too scared to get into flanking position, and myself who plays a Chaos Sorcerer. Notice, we don't have a healer. The DM runs modules designed for level 7 characters, which is our average level. We have some close calls, but our only character deaths have been because people played stupidly, not because we could not handle it. I second the person who says not to change anything; your players will level faster and get loot faster, but it will be okay. If you do make a change, I like the Action Point idea, though it isn't necessary in my opinion.

To Eorran: I would not give them any NPC tag-alongs. I would simply nudge them towards defensive items and feats. To the Sorcerer: definitely take TWD and Leather Armor. They should both take items like Boots of the Fencing Master so they can further boost their defenses. The Sorc is the perfect class for taking out groups of enemies and the Paladin is the perfect class to keep them both alive. I would not run normal modules without decreasing them a little bit... but I can't think of a better 2-person team.

I kind of like the suggestion to remove the LoH limitation, but I'd instead make the Warlord heal an encounter power instead of a daily. That way they'll have 3 heals + second winds per encounter.

Kylarra
2009-09-29, 02:01 PM
Mmm, another possibility is to change the LoH limit from daily to encounter, which would encourage a bit of Wis boost, but is on the same lines as your warlord suggestion.