PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Replacing a dragon?

Rhiannon87
2009-09-29, 09:44 AM
So, I'm running a pre-written module for my group, and in looking over the next (and final yaaaay) dungeon, I see that there is a dragon in it. I kind of want dragons to be a little more rare, and they've already fought one dragon (it escaped and will become a recurring villain mwhaha). So I'd like to replace it with something else.

The dragon in question is young adult fang dragon (I think, I'm AFB right now; I know it is a fang dragon, and it is either young adult or juvenile but I'm fairly certain it's young adult). It's holed up on the first-floor of a smallish tower; the second floor contains some cultists who worship said dragon. I'd like to keep the cultists and just have them worship whatever is in there. I want something intelligent, and preferably no undead or lycanthropes or outsiders (I already have LOTS of those three types in the game, I want this to be something unusual.)

The party is going to be level 6; there's usually about six of them in attendance. The party has a skillmonkey rogue, a cleric, a sorcerer, two tanks, and a dedicated archer; sometimes a third tank and an utterly useless guy (aka fighter whose player has decided the character is cowardly and never enters combat) show up.

So, ideas? Suggestions? Thanks!

Blackfang108
2009-09-29, 09:49 AM
Perhaps some sort of Abberation?

A Grell, perhaps?

Tsochari?

An Aboleth or an Ilithid are both probably too much at this level.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-29, 09:50 AM
Make it an Umber Hulk. Powerful enough to be worshiped by the ignorant, dangerous enough to challenge the party if they have poor Will saves.

Johel
2009-09-29, 09:58 AM
Cloud Giant ?
Elder Elemental ?
Harpy with character levels ?
Naga ?
A pair of Androsphinxs ?
An Awakened Roc ?

PhoenixRivers
2009-09-29, 10:09 AM
Delver?
Bulette?

Rhiannon87
2009-09-29, 10:12 AM
Delver?
Bulette?

Oh, man, a bulette would be awesome, if only because we actually have a bulette mini and I have been dying to use it as intended... but there isn't the room for a bulette to really shine in this area. It's a 30x40 round-ish tower, written with stone floors, but even if I changed it to dirt I don't think the bulette would be able to really do what it does best. Which is eat the halfling party members.

Looking at some of the aberrations right now... I'd forgotten how many aberrations have a fairly low CR just starting out.

Blackfang108
2009-09-29, 10:14 AM
Oh, man, a bulette would be awesome, if only because we actually have a bulette mini and I have been dying to use it as intended... but there isn't the room for a bulette to really shine in this area. It's a 30x40 round-ish tower, written with stone floors, but even if I changed it to dirt I don't think the bulette would be able to really do what it does best. Which is eat the halfling party members.

Looking at some of the aberrations right now... I'd forgotten how many aberrations have a fairly low CR just starting out.

That's why I like the Grell. You might even be able to include a pair of them. worshipped as "The Twin Brains."

Crap. now I want to run a campaign featuring this.

Rhiannon87
2009-09-29, 10:16 AM
That's why I like the Grell. You might even be able to include a pair of them. worshipped as "The Twin Brains."

Crap. now I want to run a campaign featuring this.

Grell are in Lords of Madness, right? I think I've got that at home. That's an interesting idea, and it would certainly freak the party out. What's the CR on one of them?

BRC
2009-09-29, 10:17 AM
You could Refluff the Dragon as somthing else.

It's statted as a dragon, but it's not, it's something else (I don't know enough about Fang Dragons to suggest anything)

jiriku
2009-09-29, 10:18 AM
A gigantic spider or scorpion would have a similar feel. Purple worm or behir is prolly too tough. Umber hulk maybe? Xorn?

Kaiyanwang
2009-09-29, 10:19 AM
You could Refluff the Dragon as somthing else.

It's statted as a dragon, but it's not, it's something else (I don't know enough about Fang Dragons to suggest anything)

Fang Dragon = no breath weapon, but painful bites (con damage).

BRC
2009-09-29, 10:21 AM
Fang Dragon = no breath weapon, but painful bites (con damage).
Ah, then just make it some big nasty thing with teeth.

Blackfang108
2009-09-29, 10:23 AM
Grell are in Lords of Madness, right? I think I've got that at home. That's an interesting idea, and it would certainly freak the party out. What's the CR on one of them?

Lords of Madness has a whole chapter on them. (Yay!)

The CR for a normal Grell is 3. The CR for a normal Philosipher is 5.

I'd say advance a philosopher to the CR you want it to be, if 5 is too low.

Remember, the Philosophers are the stronger, smarter, alchemists. Evil SOBs.

Rhiannon87
2009-09-29, 10:28 AM
Lords of Madness has a whole chapter on them. (Yay!)

The CR for a normal Grell is 3. The CR for a normal Philosipher is 5.

I'd say advance a philosopher to the CR you want it to be, if 5 is too low.

Remember, the Philosophers are the stronger, smarter, alchemists. Evil SOBs.

I'll need to look them over when I get home, then. I do like that Twin Brains idea... not sure if I'll do philosophers or just advanced regular grell (or maybe regular ones with class levels wheeee!). That'll creep out the party, though. Pair of floating brains with beaks =/= win.