PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad Idea?

BRC
2009-09-29, 09:53 AM
So, working on the first adventure for a pirate campaign. I have plan, but I'm worried I'm falling into the trap of showing off NPC's rather than having PC's do cool things.

My plan

PC's start in a prison. The players already agreed they want to join a kind of league of pirates (I named them the Black Raven Buccaneers). I'm also planning to attach them to a witch-doctor type character who will show up occasionally to be a plot hook and help them out (Not accompany them on adventures of course, just tell them what to do, and then reward them if they do it).

So, my plan is that they are in the jail cell, when Witch Doctor guy seemingly shows up out of nowhere and makes them an offer. He can help them get out, but then they owe him a favor (He's not actually in the prison, he's using magic to communicate with them). If they say Yes, then he grins and vanishes, and the lock quickly rusts open. This introduces the Witch Doctor character.

The PC's then slip out and get their hands on some keys, which gets them their gear back and lets them open the other cells, freeing the other prisoners (Who will eventually become their pirate crew). One of these prisoners, a badly burnt man, introduces himself as "Pretty" Levine, a notorious pirate captain who was captured when his ship got hit with a firespout. Levine is a mid-level bard, and while he's half blind and crippled from his burns (Meaning he's no good at hitting things), he'll support them with his Bardic Music, allowing the PC's and their mob of freed prisoners to fight their way out of the prison and steal a ship.

Levine then get's them into the Black Raven Buccaneers, and they set sail for further adventures.

I'm worried it's a little railroady, but since it's the first adventure of a campaign that doesn't rankle me as badly, since I plan to give them lots of flexibility later. I'm just worried that, between the powerful shaman who opens the door, and the powerful Bard who gives them a boost in their fight, (Though the bard leaves after this adventure, and will do nothing besides sing), I'm worried the PC's are going to feel like I'm showing off. I could replace the Bard with, say, a Navigator or somebody else whose got contacts with the Black Ravens.

So yeah, advice, comments?

talus21
2009-09-29, 09:56 AM
Yeah I might demote the bard. Other than that, sounds fine. They still have to get out of the prison on their own.

BRC
2009-09-29, 10:13 AM
Yeah I might demote the bard. Other than that, sounds fine. They still have to get out of the prison on their own.

This is true, but the nifty thing about having Levine is that he then makes a good repeating character. After the escape he gets Regenerated, and can show up later.

Also, it bothers me that my group of lvl 2 PC's and their mob of prisoners is strong enough to defeat all the guards. But then again, the people running the prison are actively at war, so maybe they're short on men to guard a batch of random pirates.

Hrmm, replacement for the Bard

The Son or Protoge of a notorious pirate (Perhaps Levine) out on his first voyage as captain of his own ship. His ship get's wrecked in a storm before he even gets into battle, he and some of his men get away in lifeboats, only to get scooped up by an imperial ship, where they are promptly recognized as Pirates, the experienced lieutenants his father assigned to help his son out get executed on the spot or sent to a more secure prison, while the son and his crew get thrown into jail.
When the PC's bust these pirates out, the son introduces them to his father, and therefore the Black Raven Buccaneers, and declares that since he botched his first voyage so badly, he isn't ready to be a captain. He gives his crew to the PC's and rejoins his father. Said son can then show up later, having leveled up abit, as an ally or rival or what have you.

sonofzeal
2009-09-29, 10:30 AM
Railroady is fine for the first session. You could prepare at least one "secret" way out, a way of potentially tricking the guards and gaining freedom on their own terms, but honestly for a first session a strong hook is important.

BRC
2009-09-29, 10:43 AM
Hrmm, you know. To help make their escape easier, I think I'll say that the building they're in was not built as a Prison, but the normal (much more secure) prison was destroyed during the War, or is currently being used for other purposes. So the "Prison" is actually just a converted warehouse with a couple bored soldiers standing outside.

Hrmm, you know, the party does include a Rogue with plenty of ranks in Open Lock. Maybe the Witch Doctor's intervention takes the form of a Rat bringing the rogue his tools.

random11
2009-09-29, 10:44 AM
How big are the Black Raven Buccaneers?

If it's a huge organization of pirates it's okay, but if there are also many freelance pirates and/or competitor organizations, it seems a bit forced that they just happened to free someone how belongs to the same place they want to join.

Furthermore, don't force this exact plot on the players.
What happens if they decide not to free anyone else from the prison?
What if they politely refuse to follow Levine, and prefer to try on their own? (after all, that was their original plan)

My suggestion: even if it takes time and effort, make character sheets for other people in the prison and role-play them, don't focus only on Levine's character.
Don't start the plot with the witch doctor, a couple of days in prison without knowing what to do while being introduced to the prisoners next to them might be good. Who knows, maybe they'll think of their own plan to run away?

Another_Poet
2009-09-29, 10:46 AM
I think you could leave Levine as-is if you set up his introduction the right way.

If he tells them he can sing their way out and rushes on to lead the way, he's a jerk.

If it's the PCs' idea that he should sing their way out, he's awesome. He's like walking loot. Example 1: he can't get out of his cell on his own and begs them to help him, promising to use his magical song for them if they do. Example 2: they meet him and he is depressed and ready to die because he is a broken man. He says all he has left are his magic songs, and even that's no good to him anymore. They have to talk him into helping them, because otherwise he'll just sit there and wait for the gallows.

Those are just ideas, but the point is to let your PCs recruit him on their own, rather than him just jumping up and leading the way.

Tyndmyr
2009-09-29, 10:46 AM
I've used railroad starting hooks before. My very first DMing experience, I started them out in an out of control stagecoach, heading down a mountain trail. Sheer rock wall on one side, sheer drop on the other. Horde of undead chasing from behind.

It works...it gets people immediately sucked into what's going on, and gives you some time to justify the why of it all as you go. Just don't keep it railroad-style.

Glass Mouse
2009-09-29, 10:48 AM
Sure, sounds cool (creepy, unpredictable NPCs are always nice).

However, the players might refuse the Witch Doctor's offer (depending on their level of annoy....sorry, "creativity" :smalltongue:).
Have a plan B ready, just in this case. Maybe the Witch Doctor leaves a means of contacting him if they change their minds. And don't let them sit and rot until they decide to play nice. Have the guards arrange a quick trial that lets them know they are NOT getting out of there alive and alone. Maybe haul off PC #1 for execution. Yeah, scare them a little.

Just an idea, though, since I defintly know players who'd ask the Doctor to go chew on his own stupid favor. Of course, you know your players best, and can probably predict what they'll do.

The bard sounds fine to me, actually. As long as he isn't doing the fighting, and as long as he isn't bossy (he's probably very thankful to the PCs for freeing him), no prob in my eyes :smallsmile:

BRC
2009-09-29, 11:03 AM
How big are the Black Raven Buccaneers?

If it's a huge organization of pirates it's okay, but if there are also many freelance pirates and/or competitor organizations, it seems a bit forced that they just happened to free someone how belongs to the same place they want to join.

Furthermore, don't force this exact plot on the players.
What happens if they decide not to free anyone else from the prison?
What if they politely refuse to follow Levine, and prefer to try on their own? (after all, that was their original plan)

My suggestion: even if it takes time and effort, make character sheets for other people in the prison and role-play them, don't focus only on Levine's character.
Don't start the plot with the witch doctor, a couple of days in prison without knowing what to do while being introduced to the prisoners next to them might be good. Who knows, maybe they'll think of their own plan to run away?
The Black Ravens are pretty big, but they're not the only pirates out there. And it's not that I want the PC's to join them, I described several organizations to the players while I was still hammering out the setting, and the players said they wanted to join the Black Ravens. So yes I'm railroading here, but they already bought the ticket.

If they don't free the prisoners, and slip out of the prison on their own, then they're on an island crawling with Imperial troops, maybe they slip into a town, I end the session early, and write up a plot with them in town.

The only problem with having them wait in prison for a couple days before the witch doctor contacts them, is that when put in such a situation, the first thing they are going to try to do is escape.

I do like the idea of Levine being depressed though. Maybe the other prisoners are his crew. He was famous for his pretty face and beautiful voice. I also imagine him as something of a show-off, at least in the stories. Now here he is, pretending to be somebody else (He's not going to admit to being Pretty-boy Levine, that would get him executed), with his face burnt and ruined. Heck, maybe he could have gotten out already, using Charm Person or an illusion, he's just too depressed by this turn of fortune to do anything. Having them give him a pep-talk sounds fun. Heck, maybe they make him happy enough that he throws on a Disguise Self spell, temporarily restoring his appearance, and starts singing.

The only problem is that I don't know this group that well (I'm in college, and are just putting this group together), I don't know how well they'll roleplay, or how eagerly. So I don't know if they'll jump at the chance to convince Levine to cheer up, even if I have one of the other prisoners drop that the depressed guy with the burns is the notorious pirate of legend, Pretty Boy Levine.

Tyndmyr
2009-09-29, 11:10 AM
Backup plan for if nothing else works. Pirate ship gets in a fight, massive damage. Escape opportunity in the chaos.

If they manage to escape before running into the NPC you want...you can always have him in another cell. They may or may not rescue him on the way out. Of course, if, while describing their imprisonment, you mention that the keys are just barely visible on the wall somewhere(check spell lists before doing so), and that there are other cells, I'd put money on the players releasing everyone for a distraction.

BRC
2009-09-29, 11:25 AM
So the question at this point is what's the layout of the prison. My origional plan was abunch of individual cells, the PC's get out of theirs and start freeing prisoners, and on their way they find Levine. But, I might have all the prisoners in one big cell, so the PC's can work the crowd and get the prisoners on their side before they open the door. Then they fight a few guards, recover their equipment, fight some more guards at the door, then steal the ship and do a little naval battle on their way out. If I decide to do the whole "Roleplay with the prisoners" thing, I think I'll need some more characters than Levine. Maybe Levine has a lieutenant with him, let's call him Rodger Brinelin.

Rodger is more motivated, and sensible than Levine. Levine is ready to give up, he built his identity on his looks and his luck, and now he feels he's lost both. He's resigned himself to dieing on the end of a noose, unknown to his executioners. Rodger isn't quite ready for the Imperials to get around to executing them. He's tried to convince Levine, but it hasn't worked yet. He'll probably point the PC's in the right direction and lend them a hand with the escape.

Person_Man
2009-09-29, 11:56 AM
I think it is a bit of rail roading. Just leave them in prison, and let them think of a way out. The guard can be duped. The prison is very wet from a leaky ceiling and rainfall, so they could break through the ceiling or (if one of them is Small) squeeze through the drainage ditch. They could stage a rebellion of the prisoners. Etc. Once they free themselves, then they're stuck in a town, and can try to escape via sea (pirates!) or get involved with local thieves/gangs (which are connected to pirates) or just escape (and fight random monsters while they come across plot hooks until they like one).

BRC
2009-09-29, 12:20 PM
I think it is a bit of rail roading. Just leave them in prison, and let them think of a way out. The guard can be duped. The prison is very wet from a leaky ceiling and rainfall, so they could break through the ceiling or (if one of them is Small) squeeze through the drainage ditch. They could stage a rebellion of the prisoners. Etc. Once they free themselves, then they're stuck in a town, and can try to escape via sea (pirates!) or get involved with local thieves/gangs (which are connected to pirates) or just escape (and fight random monsters while they come across plot hooks until they like one).
I'm not quite comfortable with that level of player choice, especially in the first adventure when I'm trying to get a gauge of a new group and introduce the setting. Currently, I don't think the characters really know each other at all. We established already that the players want to become pirates, so to use the railroad metaphor, they've already bought the ticket. While I'm not a total railroader, I don't trust my improvising skills enough to literally just throw my PC's into a world, and when we sit down every week say "Alright, go find something interesting", with absolutely no plan as to what I want to happen. Which is kind of the purpose of the Witch Doctor character I want to introduce. He can appear on their ship, or show up in a dream they all share, and say "Hey, go investigate this island, I'll make it worth your time", and then not show up until they settled the dispute between the villages/ killed the evil necromancer/ lifted the curse that turned everybody into frogs or whatever.

I'm of the firm belief that it's okay for the DM to determine what the players do, just so long as he doesn't decide how they do it. And I'm being a little more railroady than normal for the first adventure, as I'm trying to hook them into the premise of the campaign. If they want a campaign where they sail around having adventures, then I better get them a ship to sail in and a crew to run it.

Delwugor
2009-09-29, 12:38 PM
Railroading is fine for the first session or two, but I'm not sure you need it in your introduction.

The prison is not very secure, the guards are lazy, there is a rogue, *spot* there is a piece of rusted wire in garbage of the cell that the lazy guards didn't notice, the lock on the cell door is a POS ... The characters escape on their own without any mystical means they have to worry about later.

The witch-doctor and other plot NPCs can be added into the campaign more naturally. And if they are not indebted to the NPCs it leaves more options to actually betray them later ... they are pirates. :smallwink:

BRC
2009-09-29, 12:49 PM
Railroading is fine for the first session or two, but I'm not sure you need it in your introduction.

The prison is not very secure, the guards are lazy, there is a rogue, *spot* there is a piece of rusted wire in garbage of the cell that the lazy guards didn't notice, the lock on the cell door is a POS ... The characters escape on their own without any mystical means they have to worry about later.

The witch-doctor and other plot NPCs can be added into the campaign more naturally. And if they are not indebted to the NPCs it leaves more options to actually betray them later ... they are pirates. :smallwink:

Hrmm, maybe I should add the Witch Doctor later, maybe in the second or third adventure. I'll give the players some time on their own, if they concoct an escape plan/find something they can use to pick the lock, more power to them. If they just stumble around looking for things to do, I'll have the Witch Doctor show up.

Potential ways they could get out

1: Levine can cast Charm Person, by cheering him up he can Charm the guard into opening the gate.
2: There is a makeshift lockpick they could use with enough searching.
3: they could lure the guard inside the cell somehow, and either alone or with help from other prisoners overpower him.
4: The Druid could cast Summon Natures Ally I and get them a rat or something to bring them the keys.
5: Witch doctor man shows up an makes them an offer.

Either way, they'll want to recruit the other prisoners to their side, Rodger will be my catalyst here, approaching the PC's once he realizes they have some method of escape, telling them about Levine, and offering to help.

Edit: So at this point the situation is thus. The PC's are thrown into a big cell with abunch of other prisoners, all awaiting processing. Their gear is stashed in a locker nearbye, the guards are lazy incompetents not good enough to be sent to the front lines. They are probably playing cards or somthing nearby with keys hanging from their belts.

Delwugor
2009-09-29, 12:58 PM
Sounds very workable and you have options depending on what the players do!

One more thing is that one of the guards should be named Schultz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan%27s_Heroes#Sergeant_Schultz). :smallbiggrin:

talus21
2009-09-29, 01:13 PM
This is true, but the nifty thing about having Levine is that he then makes a good repeating character. After the escape he gets Regenerated, and can show up later.

Also, it bothers me that my group of lvl 2 PC's and their mob of prisoners is strong enough to defeat all the guards. But then again, the people running the prison are actively at war, so maybe they're short on men to guard a batch of random pirates.

Hrmm, replacement for the Bard

The Son or Protoge of a notorious pirate (Perhaps Levine) out on his first voyage as captain of his own ship. His ship get's wrecked in a storm before he even gets into battle, he and some of his men get away in lifeboats, only to get scooped up by an imperial ship, where they are promptly recognized as Pirates, the experienced lieutenants his father assigned to help his son out get executed on the spot or sent to a more secure prison, while the son and his crew get thrown into jail.
When the PC's bust these pirates out, the son introduces them to his father, and therefore the Black Raven Buccaneers, and declares that since he botched his first voyage so badly, he isn't ready to be a captain. He gives his crew to the PC's and rejoins his father. Said son can then show up later, having leveled up abit, as an ally or rival or what have you.

I like this version better. Giving the party a ship that they are in control of would be best. Perhaps this pirate son remains captain, but basically differs all ship decisions to the PCs.

edit: Never mind, I like your current plan better.

Kallisti
2009-09-29, 01:28 PM
I like the idea of making the PCs appreciate Levine's help by having him be depressed and having the PCs have to cheer him up to get his help. Overall, this sounds like a pretty good adventure, although you do need a backup plan in case the PCs aren't going to accept the Witch Doctor's help.

One thing, though: Black Raven pirates? Really? Black Raven? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all ravens black? I know it's a badass name, but it makes no sense. That, and Icewind Dale II already beat you to it with Valas the Black Raven and the Black Raven monastery.

ericgrau
2009-09-29, 02:17 PM
On the matter of DM NPC's, I'd save any cool stuff for enemies. IMO the PCs would enjoy it a lot more and are more likely to steal their tricks. For those that assist the PCs, I'd use lower level NPC classes like experts, or at most lower level PC classes. Don't let them steal any of the spot light IMO. Support roles like the bard are fine. I'd find a rules-legal way for the witch doctor's lock rusting trick to avoid railroading ("this happens b/c the plot says so!"). I mean, the only way I know to do that is with an obscure 9th level spell from I forget which book. But some tricky way to do it could be easier.

Paulus
2009-09-29, 02:30 PM
I personally like the (evolved) idea in so far as storytelling goes. But you will need a back up just in case the players don't feel like holding the hand of this pirate captain. TO counter this I would offer more incentive, have your firet mate tell them that most of the other prisoners in the cells are apart of his crew, but will only follow the captains order, and that they have a ship outside which they would be happy to let the PC's use if they could get them out, and the captain is very notorious, so if they broke him out it would add to their legend. That's three perks for just giving a NPC a pep talk. 1) it will get them a veritable army. 2) a mode of transportation and 3)introduce these no name pirates (if they are no name) along side a very well known pirate- further cementing their own roles in this world and birthing their own legend.

But I would reconsider the slummy nature of the jail, I'd make it something a bit more complicated and epic to escape from, make it something worth having an entire pirate crew and captain at your back for.
But in case the PC's ditch the hook (the "captain hook" ker-snicker) make it so there is ONE or TWO routes for them to escape through that are easier than head on. Yet again, if they choose head on, lessen the power by making their escape a convenient time via guards changing... uh, well chaining guard.

And if you want the pirate to be a recurring character even if the PC's didn't save him, well you can always say he escape behind them and was following their lead, inspired by their daring pirate dos' leaving him indebted to them and useful at another moment. You can also use their second escape as means of explaining why the full guard contingency didn't fall upon them as they escaped, because their first escape allowed for the second. Thereby STILL adding to their legend, just in a different way.

As for the witch doctor, I'd use him more as a "follow me and go this way" if the players just can't choose which path to take. One of two safe exits, or the main exit, which is the hardest, your two safe exits can be the sewers- or roof kind of scenario. Each with their own troubles.

at least, that's what's I'd suggest.

BRC
2009-09-29, 04:29 PM
One thing, though: Black Raven pirates? Really? Black Raven? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all ravens black? I know it's a badass name, but it makes no sense. That, and Icewind Dale II already beat you to it with Valas the Black Raven and the Black Raven monastery.
True, but "Raven Bucaneers" dosn't sound nearly as cool, and they're named after their founder/leader, a Pirate admiral who called himself Black Raven. It's not like he said "I am Black Raven, the mighty pirate" and somebody shouted "All ravens are black! Your name is redundant!" As for what they are, they're a loose alliance of pirates and piracy-related services (Smugglers to fence goods from looted ships, Shipwrights who operate secret ports to repair ships for Pirates, ect). Their main rule is that you don't attack other Black Ravens, or certain groups under the Black Raven's protection (Some islanders, alot of underwater societies like the sea elves, ect. You don't have to actively defend them from attack if you don't want to, but you're not supposed to attack them). Also, if you find castaway Black Ravens, you're supposed to safely transport them somewhere on your route, preferably a Black Raven friendly village or port (when applicable, if you're running short on food or the castaways have some infectious disease or something, you put your own interests first). Mind you have every right to strip them of their valuables when you do this.

As for the Witch Doctor's trick, I'm getting rid of the Rusting thing in favor of a Seagull or Albatross flying to the window and dropping some lockpicks through the bars.

As for their escape, Levine's Ship (The Sweet Serenade) was destroyed by the same fire that burned him. My plan is that, once they escape from the prison, there is a ship at the docks, fully kitted out and ready for sail. There are a few sailors on board who don't put up much of a fight, the PC's and their band of swarthy souls hoist anchor and set sail, at which point they notice abunch of sailors watching from the port, and a very surprised looking Imperial Captain standing in a boat alongside them, holding a bottle of very expensive wine.

This captain, who is of noble birth and was about to christen his first ship when the PC's stole it out from under him, will become a recurring antagonist. As the PC's sail out, a small Imperial ship tries to stop them, and we get a quick round of Naval combat. Once they beat the Imperial ship, they sail off into the sunset happy at a work well done.

As for the Prison, The setup I'm currently imagining is like this. A big Common Cell, already full of Pirates when the PC's are thrown into it, with a few board guards barely paying attention in the corner. Once the Pc's break out and handle the guards (Let's say, 3 Hobgoblins) they get their equipment back and the pirates arm themselves. Levine is too badly burned to use a weapon (he's also blind right now) but he can sing. The first fight is meant to be a pushover, the real combat comes in the second round, where they fight more hobgoblins and maybe some orcs. I'll act on the assumption that most of the guards are busy fighting the prisoners, so the fight ends when the PC's take down, let's say, five of them. Or maybe the PC's have to take down the Warden, while their pirates handle the guards. Then it's steal the ship, fight their way out of port, sail into sunset, yadda yadda.

Edit: when they steal the ship, Levine (or one of his crew, if they don't take him) directs them to a Black Raven Buccaneers port, where they can sign up. At this point Levine will probably leave, excited about getting his face regenerated and getting himself a new ship of his own, but leaving most of his crew with the PCs.