PDA

View Full Version : House Prices

Yar
2009-09-29, 02:02 PM
How much would a ten acre 6 Bedroom 3 bath ranch house With full pasture and stables cost in Dungeons and dragons.

Glimbur
2009-09-29, 02:05 PM
1) Check the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook. It might have been 3.0 but a goldspiece is still a goldpiece.

2)How much do your players have?

3)Location?

ericgrau
2009-09-29, 02:06 PM
Buying Buildings (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#buyingBuildings). Try to estimate from there. Stronghold Builder's guide might have more detail, but I bet it ignores stuff like pasture and stables. So you might as well just guestimate.

IMO 6,000 gp (stable ~= "simple wooden house"), plus the cost of animals, plus a few hundred gp for land.

Note that oldy-time rooms used chamber pots within the bedrooms to poop, or outhouses. Pressurized running water using gravity is possible even with low tech in the more engineering savy areas, but it's not in every area. Hot water must come from kettles. But magic could fix any of this, if you pay for the right items.

taltamir
2009-09-29, 02:14 PM
just make it up, the economy is totally borked.. people with training in a craft can make 1 gp a day. but they are rare and the average laborer makes a mere 1sp a day according to the DMG, which isn't even enough to support themselves and they require some at home farming, self made clothes, etc..

doing some math it puts an average home at millions of dollars for people making 20$ a day... totally ridiculous values.

if you want a viable economy you will NOT find it in WOTC published materials (also, no explanation as to why they are in medieval lock)

sonofzeal
2009-09-29, 02:28 PM
If it's marketed to peasants, 5-15 gp. If it's marketed to middle class, 50-150 gp. If it's marketed to adventurers, 5000-15000 gp. Yes, really. :smallbiggrin:

JeenLeen
2009-09-29, 02:28 PM
I think PHB II or DMG II had a section on this, but I can't remember the details.

I think it was still high enough that it's maybe odd that so many people have houses (at least without mortages), but not high enough to be relevant for an adventurer after you gain a couple level's wealth.

taltamir
2009-09-29, 02:46 PM
at 1 sp a day, assuming they do not use even a single copper on food or other expenses... it will take 137 years to get 5000 gp (1gp is 10 sp right?)
consider that they need to have expenses you can more than triple that, lets say 500 years.. now a mortgage? no way, it will add up to thousands of years.

Korivan
2009-09-29, 02:54 PM
3)Location?

Location, location, location. Really, its hard enough to find a nice killer-mold free, monster absent, trap-free reality. Why I remember a day when we still had electrum...AND USED IT. Now I'm stuck with 5 chests of this crap and the only thing anyone's offering is a cozy little volcano fortress. ITS NOT EVEN LEAK PROOF. Seriously though, Stronghold Builder's Guidebook should have about all you need.

taltamir
2009-09-29, 02:58 PM
Location, location, location. Really, its hard enough to find a nice killer-mold free, monster absent, trap-free reality. Why I remember a day when we still had electrum...AND USED IT. Now I'm stuck with 5 chests of this crap and the only thing anyone's offering is a cozy little volcano fortress. ITS NOT EVEN LEAK PROOF. Seriously though, Stronghold Builder's Guidebook should have about all you need.

why would you WANT a killer mold free, monster absent, trap free realty? having those come preinstalled saves you money and effort on getting those yourself.

Rhiannon87
2009-09-29, 03:02 PM
just make it up, the economy is totally borked.. people with training in a craft can make 1 gp a day. but they are rare and the average laborer makes a mere 1sp a day according to the DMG, which isn't even enough to support themselves and they require some at home farming, self made clothes, etc..

doing some math it puts an average home at millions of dollars for people making 20$ a day... totally ridiculous values.

if you want a viable economy you will NOT find it in WOTC published materials (also, no explanation as to why they are in medieval lock)

Yeah, seconding the "D&D economy is messed up" sentiments. The problem is, there's basically two economies: the normal one, and the adventurer's economy. The standard coin in most settings is the silver piece, while most adventurers deal in gold. So when you're playing an adventurer trying to cross into the "normal" economy, things get kind of wacky.

Stronghold Builder's Guide is probably your best bet, truthfully. Cityscape has some information on renting or buying houses in a city; if you're aiming for a more rural location, you'll need to alter the prices accordingly. But yeah, speaking as someone who had to calculate the networth of a four-story mansion + grounds + six generations of nobility's worth of belongings inside? The whole system is wonky and winging it is probably your best bet.

Tyndmyr
2009-09-29, 03:08 PM
I've often had the thought that simply buying the materials and hiring skilled craftsmen directly using the appropriate prices would be vastly cheaper than buying the actual structure.

Sure, trained craftsmen might be hard to find, but once you find one...the prices are effectively so low you can just pay them indefinitely.

Korivan
2009-09-29, 03:09 PM
why would you WANT a killer mold free, monster absent, trap free realty? having those come preinstalled saves you money and effort on getting those yourself.

I prefer custom traps, and hand picked monsters. Sure, its more money, but when it comes to the safety of my loot, sleeping/recovering body, and spell books, theres no substitute for first rate defenses.

Akal Saris
2009-09-29, 03:17 PM
at 1 sp a day, assuming they do not use even a single copper on food or other expenses... it will take 137 years to get 5000 gp (1gp is 10 sp right?)
consider that they need to have expenses you can more than triple that, lets say 500 years.. now a mortgage? no way, it will add up to thousands of years.

Yes, but from a medieval standpoint these unskilled laborers are villeins, living and working on land owned by the local lord and paying taxes to him and the Church. However, they are also subsidized by both institutions, as the lord would provide them with protection, food in times of famine, and the right to form legal institutions, and the church would often provide schooling for children, as well as temporary shelter and alms for the truly destitute.

I don't think that D&D economics make much sense, but they are clearly modeled on medieval economics and then given a more modern twist without explaining the obvious discrepancies between the two - if you just assume things work as they did in medieval times, it makes a lot more sense.

For Yar's question, I think it would all depend on the location and whatnot, but here's a basic estimate.
From the SBG:
1-16 miles from a large town: +0% cost
Bath, basic x3: 1200g
Bedroom Suite, Basic x6: 4800g
Stable, Basic: 1,000g
Storage, Basic x4: 1,000g
Kitchen, basic: 2,000g
Courtyard, Basic: 500g
10 acres and pasture: 600 stronghold spaces each valued at ~5g: 3,000g (This is a best guess here)
Total: 13,300g - 665g = 12,635g

kentma57
2009-09-29, 03:18 PM
People seem to forget the bartering system; peasants don't pay each other in gold, they pay with services.

EX: A farmer might agree to feed your family for a year if your family builds him a new barn.

How much would a ten acre 6 Bedroom 3 bath ranch house With full pasture and stables cost in Dungeons and dragons.
That is a small manor.
Two bed, a stove, and bath in the river is a basic home.
Two-three bed, one bath, a kitchen half the size of the one on Stronghold(meant to cook for 20+ people at a time) could be a ranch house...

If your adventurers want a normal sized home, expect to share rooms.

Quietus
2009-09-29, 03:27 PM
Woah. Looking at the building costs in the SRD... they seriously want 100,000 GP for a mansion?

I'll second ericgrau's 6,000~ estimate. Grand house will do fine for your ranch, simple wooden building for a stable/barn/whatever, then tack on approximate costs for land (if necessary; Is the area you want to build controlled by anyone? If not, you can fence in land and call it yours). Animals come separate, of course, but outside of big-ticket items like horses, your average livestock is actually fairly cheap.

taltamir
2009-09-29, 03:37 PM
step 1: conquer a kingdom, or be assigned a fiefdom for doing a quest
step 2: hire laborers at 1sp day each... or highly skilled experts at 1gp a day... or just get slaves... make them build a mannor.
step 2 alternative: make golems, undead, or just use magic directly to craft your dream home.

until you can afford to do those, there is really no point in having a house... adventurers are really wealthy, really dangerous, hobos.

you can also just skip that process and go straight to the "extra dimensional" home or something equally magical

sentaku
2009-09-29, 04:13 PM
step 1: conquer a kingdom, or be assigned a fiefdom for doing a quest
step 2: hire laborers at 1sp day each... or highly skilled experts at 1gp a day... or just get slaves... make them build a mannor.
step 2 alternative: make golems, undead, or just use magic directly to craft your dream home.

until you can afford to do those, there is really no point in having a house... adventurers are really wealthy, really dangerous, hobos.

you can also just skip that process and go straight to the "extra dimensional" home or something equally magical

It cost 13, 000 & at most 14th level bard (or someone else with at least 17 ranks in perform). Lower leveled individuals might be cheaper to pay but they risk failing there check to keep playing the Lyre of building (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#lyreofBuilding).

Yar
2009-09-29, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all you help guys.