PDA

View Full Version : Clearing my name

Gullara
2009-09-29, 03:01 PM
A little while ago I made a dumb mistake and unwittingly put some of the Giant's work in my signature. Is there anyway I can clear my name so I am not displayed as having and infraction :smallfrown: or does this disappear after a certain amount of time having perfect behavior.

Vaynor
2009-09-29, 03:03 PM
The Rules. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1) Answers to your questions are all there. Also, this belongs in the Board/Site Issues Forum.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-29, 03:14 PM
Also... We don't see your infractions. Only you do. (If that was your concern- my apologies if I misread.)

Kallisti
2009-09-29, 03:57 PM
Most infractions are temporary. It'll go away after a short time. The PM you got from the mods telling you about the infraction should include the information about it.

That said, I wouldn't think quoting the Giant in your sig would earn an infraction. Did you, in some way, try to pass of his work as your own? Because if not, I'm not sure how that's against the rules (unless I just missed it).

Sholos
2009-09-29, 04:28 PM
It might fall under the "no using artwork for anything" clause.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-29, 05:07 PM
Most infractions are temporary. It'll go away after a short time. The PM you got from the mods telling you about the infraction should include the information about it.

mine goes away in 5 years :smallsigh:

Vmag
2009-09-29, 05:24 PM
Darnit, here I was hoping for something good, something juicy. You know, running to the forums for the internet legal team because you killed a man, or ran over his house, and now you want to know what sort of legal tools you have at your disposal to get out of it.

skywalker
2009-09-29, 05:27 PM

Thaaaaat's a big one...

EDIT:
Darnit, here I was hoping for something good, something juicy. You know, running to the forums for the internet legal team because you killed a man, or ran over his house, and now you want to know what sort of legal tools you have at your disposal to get out of it.

I think Roland may have finally put the kibosh on that one...

Solaris
2009-09-29, 05:27 PM
Eh, I wouldn't worry overmuch about an infraction. I had one, but it's off now that it's expired.

I have reason to believe neither of those is that illegal.

alchemyprime
2009-09-29, 05:33 PM

2 years for mine :smallsigh:. Goes to show ya kids, don't come to the Playground with help on your Anthropology of Religion homework.

Should of seen that coming....

Johel
2009-09-29, 05:33 PM
A little while ago I made a dumb mistake and unwittingly put some of the Giant's work in my signature. Is there anyway I can clear my name so I am not displayed as having and infraction :smallfrown: or does this disappear after a certain amount of time having perfect behavior.

Ah !! Filthy traitor !! :smallmad:
We shall brand you with a iron mark on your forehead !! :smallfurious:
And it shall make you sick whenever you try to hide it. :smallfurious:
For this, and nothing less, is the price to mess with the Giant !! :smallfurious:

Let's praise him, now, brothers and sisters, before we sacrifice the black sheep (rpgsr4me). Let's hope it will grant us a sign (or an update). :smallwink:

SoD
2009-09-29, 05:35 PM
Two years for mine...and it'll be gone in a week. I think I'll kinda miss it. It's stuck with me through thick and thin. Still, my fault for getting sucked into a political debate. Still, I was a little pixie who didn't know better at the time.

Pyrian
2009-09-29, 05:53 PM
I've never gotten one here. ...Which kind of surprises me, actually. I even managed to get one on TTLG, where flaming is basically considered a spectator sport. :smallcool:

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-09-29, 06:08 PM
Pfftt, I've managed to get three and they are STILL there even after expiration.

#1. Made a celebratory religious comment on Christmas day, my first week here, and got kicked.
#2. Forgot to change my animated avatar after they were outlawed.
#3. My signature was accidentally too long by a sentence.

I'm b-b-b-b-bad! Bad to the fur!

:smallsigh:

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-29, 06:16 PM
ITT: playgrounders admit to silly behavior

mine? use of language - still got a year to tick off that one

Mauve Shirt
I have one for passing forum filters by posting a humorous picture with a curse word in it that expires in February, and one for making a comment that could be interpreted as hate speech but I meant it as a joke. Also an expired spam one from the organ harvesting epidemic.

Inhuman Bot
#3. My signature was accidentally too long by a sentence.

Mine was slightly longer then that, but I feel your pain there.

I think it was a typo, but according to that infraction's warning, mine'll expire in exactly -8 years.

horngeek
2009-09-29, 06:17 PM
That's funny. The mods simply warned my when my sig was too long.

Maybe because I apologised and changed it very quickly.

Kallisti
2009-09-29, 06:24 PM
You're lucky. I got off with a warning for my animated sig banner, but Roland deleted my entire sig. And then Arokh came after me for not crediting him in my sig, because I forgot to include the credit in my new sig...

horngeek
2009-09-29, 06:26 PM
I am always extra-careful, though. So maybe that's it. In fact, I think that's the only time the mods have specifically come down on me.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-09-29, 06:26 PM
You're lucky. I got off with a warning for my animated sig banner, but Roland deleted my entire sig. And then Arokh came after me for not crediting him in my sig, because I forgot to include the credit in my new sig...
Geeze, whats the matter with you, man?

Kallisti
2009-09-29, 06:29 PM
You've caught me. It's all part of my diabolical plan to pretend I'm an amazing avatarist, then saddle literally tens of Playgrounders with crappy avatars they can easily replace.

I'm still working on the whole villain thing. It's not as easy as it looks. Stop judging me...

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-29, 07:32 PM

They do, and the mods are generally helpful about this. Wish I could clear my record, too...curse you, permanent warning! =P

Solaris
2009-09-29, 07:34 PM
Ah !! Filthy traitor !! :smallmad:
We shall brand you with a iron mark on your forehead !! :smallfurious:
And it shall make you sick whenever you try to hide it. :smallfurious:
For this, and nothing less, is the price to mess with the Giant !! :smallfurious:

Let's praise him, now, brothers and sisters, before we sacrifice the black sheep (rpgsr4me). Let's hope it will grant us a sign (or an update). :smallwink:

So blood sacrifice is all it takes to get an update? Jeez, if I'd'a know it was that easy...

Syka
2009-09-29, 07:37 PM
I'm actually kind of surprised I've never gotten an infraction. I've come close on politics and 'inappropriate' topics on occasion, but I guess I know where to toe the line unconsciously?

But yeah...I see no infraction so I'm guessing only you can see it.

Thajocoth
2009-09-30, 01:01 AM
My infraction's s a 2-year one. I happened to reply to a thread inwhich everyone who posted there recieved an infraction. I've gotten warnings on the other messageboard I go to, up to a 24-hr ban once. As the board's only admin at the time, I couldn't actually be banned, but followed the spirit of the ban by not visiting my own messageboard. My board's way smaller though. I haven't given a warning in years...

Xondoure
2009-09-30, 01:35 AM
I got one for editing "first" into a post on one of the comic updates. What annoys me is he deleted the entire post, instead of just scrubbing that one part... :smallfrown:

kpenguin
2009-09-30, 01:39 AM
I don't have any infractions. I mean, I've been warned, been sent harsh PMs, and had made threads closed, but no infractions that I can see.

Jimorian
2009-09-30, 01:43 AM
I got one for editing "first" into a post on one of the comic updates. What annoys me is he deleted the entire post, instead of just scrubbing that one part... :smallfrown:

From the Announcement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=22&a=26) above the OOTS subforum:

"Celebrating that you've made a post first (or second or whatever) or that your post is on the first (or second or whatever) page is not permitted. Doing so only creates the (false) impression that such things matter. They don't. What they do, is encourage hurried spam-like comments and a mad rush to post in the thread announcing a new comic. Posts containing such "shout outs" will be deleted in their entirety."

Bolding mine.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-30, 01:43 AM
I've only had one of my posts "moved" (I don't know where to) and given no reason.

Zincorium
2009-09-30, 07:00 AM
My problem is that I'm way too easy to whip into a frothing, nearly incoherent rage.

... But I've calmed down since. Being one infraction away from a ban will clarify a few things.

Athaniar
2009-09-30, 08:18 AM
I have, uhm, 1/1 (50) infractions for accidentally making my sig too long (that's why I'm keeping it to a minimum now). Why can't they implement something that stops you from creating an unlawful signature? You can't post too long posts.

Jack Squat
2009-09-30, 08:24 AM
Why can't they implement something that stops you from creating an unlawful signature? You can't post too long posts.

It's basically because it's too complicated. Posts have character limits. Sigs have space limits. While possible to do what you're asking, it'd need to check images for pixel height, see how they're arranged, account for spoilers, blank space, etc. On top of that, it'd need to check near constantly (or at least before each user posts), since images can be changed while keeping the same URL.

It's really too much work for so little of a benefit.

Shades of Gray
2009-09-30, 08:30 AM
In my first few months I said "First post!" in an OOTS discussion thread.
I posted in a spam thread saying "This is going to be locked"
And my sig was too long once.

My current infraction count says (0/1)... Is that normal?

Stormthorn
2009-09-30, 08:30 AM

Infractions tend to go away in a year or two.

Although, like a wound, the scar will remain. You wont have any points but you and any staff will always be able to see them.

Well i wasnt thinking it was anything so dramatic...

I posted in a spam thread saying "This is going to be locked"
If that thread was locked as you predicted then i feel sorry for you. I was just about to say somehting along those lines about this thread but i suppose i cant. Although, i just re-read the entire rules (which i tend to do about weekly) and i cant see where it says you cant say that.

Mordokai
2009-09-30, 08:37 AM
My current infraction count says (0/1)... Is that normal?

Mine says 1/0, so you're better off. At least you're not trying to divide by zero :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Got one(gone already), for organ harvesting in OOTS forum. Got another one, before the organ harvesting one and that one still remains. Reason, flaming. I won't say what I did, but suffice to say, this one really hit me pretty hard, since I was sure nobody would give you even a second glance because of something like that. And I really think I didn't deserve it, since I've done a lot worse things since I got it and never got punished because of anything. But what's there is there, no sense in arguing now. I know better than that now.

MethosH
2009-09-30, 08:42 AM
I think it was a typo, but according to that infraction's warning, mine'll expire in exactly -8 years.

8 years? 5 years?! Oh my.. :smalleek:
Mine is just 2 years :smallbiggrin:
(Inappropriate image involving sexual content, violence, gore, religion, politics and racism. Kids, don't do that. :smallbiggrin:)

Stormthorn
2009-09-30, 08:42 AM
And I really think I didn't deserve it, since I've done a lot worse things since I got it and never got punished because of anything. But what's there is there, no sense in arguing now. I know better than that now.
Kepe in mind that one of the best ways to control people is confusion and fear. if you cant figure out what exactly makes the mods mad, then you feel vulnerable and are more docile.
Also, in an online environment like this the webpage owner and his appointed aids control reality itself.
If one of them asks you:
"How mant fingers am i holding up?"
You can bet that your first answer will always be wrong.

8 years? 5 years?! Oh my..
Mine is just 2 years
(Inappropriate image involving sexual content, violence, gore, religion, politics and racism. Kids, don't do that. )
You know, the rules list how long the infractions are supposed to last. If one mod is overly-punishing you then go to another one for help. Unless its a Permentant Class infraction it shouldnt be more than 2 years.

MethosH
2009-09-30, 08:50 AM
That is true. When I got the infraction the mods were friendly and helped me clear things out by answering my questions about my infraction.
I've figured I got the max non-ban infraction since the image was pretty bad.

TheBibliophile
2009-09-30, 08:39 PM
I have one for saying "This" and no more, and one for having a sig that's too large. No idea when they go away, though.

TelemontTanthul
2009-09-30, 08:44 PM
...where can you check if you are on Forum Probation or whatever...?

CrimsonAngel
2009-09-30, 08:50 PM
I've gotten 2 sig infractions, the first one went away.

Jack Squat
2009-09-30, 08:54 PM
...where can you check if you are on Forum Probation or whatever...?

You'll know.

Whenever it happens you get an email from a Mod explaining everything, as well as an "Infraction: x/y" section added down by where your location is.

Also, I believe these are supposed to be kept private matters, so I'm not quite sure why everyone's bringing theirs up.

AetherFox
2009-09-30, 09:01 PM
This... seams like a good enough place to ask my question without starting a whole new thread, as I see a few people have an infraction for language:

I understand GitP's rule on profanity, however, how much does this extend to the Pbp games? I'm not talking about dropping F-Bombs like crazy, but if another character drops to -10 in your arms, "Darn it all!" doesn't really pack the same kind of punch.

Anyway, I've had this question floating around for a while, and just thought this was a good place to ask.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-09-30, 09:32 PM
For me, it's an annoyance thing. I got a "Your Sig is to Big" 0 point infraction for a banner that was like three-six pixels to tall. No problem, the webcomic it linked to had died (Failing Saves), and I needed to update the sig anyways.

Then a few months later, I got a 50 point infraction for being at 14 lines, when the sig max is 12. What makes it an annoyance thing is the hundreds of sigs I see that are way bigger than mine that stay big month after month! It tells me that Roland was bored that day, and like a cop hiding behind a billboard writing speeding tickets, he decided to drop a Red Card on me.

Da Rulz are da Rulz, but I don't feel like filling up RSJ's inbox with "His sig is to big, her sig is to big! Ticket them! Ticket them!" whines.

skywalker
2009-10-01, 12:05 AM
If that thread was locked as you predicted then i feel sorry for you. I was just about to say somehting along those lines about this thread but i suppose i cant. Although, i just re-read the entire rules (which i tend to do about weekly) and i cant see where it says you cant say that.

There is no rule about saying that in this thread, the rule that he ran afoul of was the "don't respond to spam" rule.

8 years? 5 years?! Oh my.. :smalleek:
Mine is just 2 years :smallbiggrin:
(Inappropriate image involving sexual content, violence, gore, religion, politics and racism. Kids, don't do that. :smallbiggrin:)

Dude... Wow. I mean, I sometimes think people are trying to be banned, but dang... That's an impressive list right there, especially for an accident haha.

Kepe in mind that one of the best ways to control people is confusion and fear. if you cant figure out what exactly makes the mods mad, then you feel vulnerable and are more docile.
Also, in an online environment like this the webpage owner and his appointed aids control reality itself.
If one of them asks you:
"How mant fingers am i holding up?"
You can bet that your first answer will always be wrong.

Still on this crusade, I see?

You know, the rules list how long the infractions are supposed to last. If one mod is overly-punishing you then go to another one for help. Unless its a Permentant Class infraction it shouldnt be more than 2 years.

Yeah, this is why I was curious about the 5 years thing... Obviously the "-8" was probably just a mistake...

Also, I believe these are supposed to be kept private matters, so I'm not quite sure why everyone's bringing theirs up.

I don't think there's any rule specifically saying that they're private. It's encouraged, I would speculate, as part of the "post-titles rule," that we might treat people differently if we knew they had an infraction or warning, and that we might even possibly try to bait them. Not that it really matters, I think most of the time, those with an infraction have just been around long enough to finally do something stupid. Most long-standing (respected? maybe...) members of the community probably have one somewhere.

Anyway, I've had this question floating around for a while, and just thought this was a good place to ask.

I would bet you'd be ok, "damn" doesn't seem very... damnable, altho if you were intending to mince something stronger then I don't know. I would take it up with the group in your particular game, since they're the ones most likely to report you. Don't look now, but I don't think RSJ has time to go sifting thru 80 PbP games for "damn."

Then a few months later, I got a 50 point infraction for being at 14 lines, when the sig max is 12. What makes it an annoyance thing is the hundreds of sigs I see that are way bigger than mine that stay big month after month! It tells me that Roland was bored that day, and like a cop hiding behind a billboard writing speeding tickets, he decided to drop a Red Card on me.

Da Rulz are da Rulz, but I don't feel like filling up RSJ's inbox with "His sig is to big, her sig is to big! Ticket them! Ticket them!" whines.

This is starting to turn into "skywalker's theory of Mod Psychology," but it probably has something to do with you having been warned once already for the same thing. And I agree with you that it seems silly to do that. But obviously your only recourse is to do just that. Probably best just to accept that you got unlucky that day.

Renegade Paladin
2009-10-01, 12:44 AM
Well, he's right. If you don't know what makes the hammer fall, then you won't risk anything. Secret punishments have that chilling effect, and apparently they're supposed to be secret; we're not permitted to even mention the banned. Can you think of a single purpose other than creating uncertainty that this serves? I can't, mainly because there isn't one.

Stormthorn
2009-10-01, 12:47 AM
Obviously the "-8" was probably just a mistake...
Not if one of the mods is a time lord....

What can i say? Im a rebel with a really mundane cause.

Athaniar
2009-10-01, 01:24 AM
All in the same image?

skywalker
2009-10-01, 01:25 AM
Well, he's right. If you don't know what makes the hammer fall, then you won't risk anything. Secret punishments have that chilling effect, and apparently they're supposed to be secret; we're not permitted to even mention the banned. Can you think of a single purpose other than creating uncertainty that this serves? I can't, mainly because there isn't one.

Ok, first of all, the hammer does not fall instantaneously. We know exactly what can make the hammer fall instantaneously. Beyond that, for non-banning offenses, we receive warnings and/or infractions. Personally, I think I'm pretty clear on exactly what I can or cannot say based around those and what I've seen happen to others.

I believe we've had this discussion before, but I make the same argument. It's really none of our business why so-and-so got banned. They were banned, and why they were banned is because they broke the rules. I think to parade around why someone got banned creates a "gossip mentality." IE "ooh, so-and-so got banned for this, and blankety-blank got banned for that..."

Beyond that, discussing banned posters (which is frowned upon, but not outright squashed) tends toward glorification from what I can tell. Which obviously becomes a statement against the staff.

But really, does the uncertainty of not knowing why someone was banned bother me or keep me afraid? No. When I see that someone was banned, I say "Oh look, they were banned. I guess they acted like a fool repeatedly enough that the other shoe finally dropped." Maybe if I had 200-275 points I might see it a little differently, but then again I'd probably have a very good idea of what I could and could not say if that were the case, since I'd have myriad evidence of what they did not want me to say.

But the staff aren't trying to cultivate fear or uncertainty. They're trying to keep things that aren't the public's business out of the public eye. No reason to be gossiping about the latest infraction or what-not. In my opinion, there is much less "I am Roland the Inquisitor, and you will never know why you have invoked my ire," and much more "Guys, this dillhole broke the rules, and it really shouldn't matter to you that much how he broke the rules, just don't break 'em yourself, mkay?"

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-01, 02:45 AM
For me, it's an annoyance thing. I got a "Your Sig is to Big" 0 point infraction for a banner that was like three-six pixels to tall. No problem, the webcomic it linked to had died (Failing Saves), and I needed to update the sig anyways.

Da Rulz are da Rulz, but I don't feel like filling up RSJ's inbox with "His sig is to big, her sig is to big! Ticket them! Ticket them!" whines.I'm pretty certain that Roland and Rawhide are seldom bored with their duties monitoring the forums. I know that Alarra's not, and she's not one to normally go handing out infractions (though she does if it's warranted). What likely happened in your case, as someone else mentioned, is that you were reported for having a signature that was too large (the mods have too much to do as it is without searching profiles for sigs that are too big). Twice. The first time you got a friendly warning. Why should you get a second warning for the same offense, especially only a short time later? The second offense was even more outside the limits than the first (6px vs 30px). It's not like the limits aren't spelled out in excruciating detail. (For what it's worth, 1 line is approximately 15 pixels tall using the default font.) I could certainly see how someone responsible for maintaining order might view that as blatant disregard for the stated limits since clearly the warning didn't work to dissuade you from becoming a repeat offender.

As for the others with out of bounds signatures? Report them. It fills no inboxes. It makes an entry into a moderator thread for reported posts. If multiple people report the same post, it gets added to the same thread, it does not create a new one. And it is what they have asked us to do, repeatedly. They know that they cannot be omni-present so enlisting the aid of those who notice something that might otherwise have gone unnoticed is helpful, not a burden. They only request that you let them do the actual moderating. (This has been explained in the Board/Site Issues forum on multiple occasions.)

Well, he's right. If you don't know what makes the hammer fall, then you won't risk anything. Secret punishments have that chilling effect, and apparently they're supposed to be secret; we're not permitted to even mention the banned. Can you think of a single purpose other than creating uncertainty that this serves? I can't, mainly because there isn't one.Except that he's not.

What causes it is clearly spelled out. The punishment isn't secret. A ban is pretty obvious and the warning/infraction system is clearly outlined in the rules. (We're also told that the 300 point cutoff is rarely cause for immediate banning and that those posters often rack up as many as twice that many points before "the hammer" is allowed to fall. Also note that, with the exception of spammers, the mods do not ban unilateraly.)
We're not permitted to discuss the banned (not 'mention', 'discuss', it's an important distinction) because some of them have a cult following and glorifying them/disputing their punishments publically sows discontent and (often) misinformation. As to the purpose, there is one, and it has been mentioned specifically numerous times when these rants come up, and that is because it is an issue of privacy between the staff and the banned. If you don't like it, you are free to go somewhere else. If you stay, accept it and move on, because you're not going to change it. I should think that would be clear by now as often as it's brought up.
Now, I expect that next someone will want to revisit the issue of destroying evidence so that there's no place one can go to appeal an infraction, but this is also patently false. It's removed from our view, but it is not destroyed. Moderators keep copies of removed posts and all reported posts are copied into the report made. Those reports, and the measures taken, are preserved in perpetuity for any staff to review should the need arise. So let's just not go there this time, mkay? (This too, has been explained before but remains overlooked and yet bemoaned when these threads come up.)

But the staff aren't trying to cultivate fear or uncertainty. They're trying to keep things that aren't the public's business out of the public eye. No reason to be gossiping about the latest infraction or what-not. In my opinion, there is much less "I am Roland the Inquisitor, and you will never know why you have invoked my ire," and much more "Guys, this dillhole broke the rules, and it really shouldn't matter to you that much how he broke the rules, just don't break 'em yourself, mkay?"Precisely.

Elm11
2009-10-01, 07:26 AM
I only have the one warning for having a sig too long. It kinda made me a bit spset when i got it, then i got pretty ticked off when i checked my sig and found it to be at the maximum, not over it, but i figured it was best just to shut up and sit down, seeing as it was only a warning, and i was scared that complaining could make things a lot worse.

Gullara
2009-10-01, 10:39 AM
Wow that was a lot more posts than I was expecting. Thanks for the info I guess I'll have to be more careful in the future. :smallsigh:

Zanaril
2009-10-01, 10:46 AM
I got a warning for having a signature 486 pixels wide instead of 468. (And the extra pixels were transparent).

I begin to wonder about the people who's signatures are obviously too big...

Linkavitch
2009-10-01, 10:46 AM
I have one, it was because I had one too many Smilies in my sig, and it was a line or two too long.

EDIT: Hey, look at that, it expires next month.:smallcool:

TRM
2009-10-01, 10:50 AM
This... seams like a good enough place to ask my question without starting a whole new thread, as I see a few people have an infraction for language:

I understand GitP's rule on profanity, however, how much does this extend to the Pbp games? I'm not talking about dropping F-Bombs like crazy, but if another character drops to -10 in your arms, "Darn it all!" doesn't really pack the same kind of punch.

In my experience, you probably aren't going to get punished for profanity in a PbP game, unless one of the players in your game is specifically offended by it and reports you. However, if you swear in, for example, a Random Banter About 15 times, you get in trouble.

If I were you, I would ask the other players in your game whether they minded, then act accordingly.

You should ask the moderators though, Roland St. Jude loves to hear this kind of question.

Stormthorn
2009-10-01, 12:58 PM
I guess they acted like a fool repeatedly enough that the other shoe finally dropped." Maybe if I had 200-275 points I might see it a little differently, but then again I'd probably have a very good idea of what I could and could not say if that were the case, since I'd have myriad evidence of what they did not want me to say.

Heh. I though i knew too, but a recently got an infraction out of the blue. Now i read the rules every week to try and stay just a tiny smidge below the point where they take action.
Well, actualy, i usualy stay well below that point, but im very outspoken and i dont like my opinions being silenced.
The upside is that those opinions tend to not be terribly bad things since im opposed to stuff like racism and homophobia.

Wow that was a lot more posts than I was expecting. Thanks for the info I guess I'll have to be more careful in the future.

For those who dont wish to have problems with the mods, you can never be too careful. Some palces like the Escapist forum will hand out punishments like candy. But those are almost always mild. Here you can get perma-banned for messing up on just three posts over the course of two years in the standard worst-case scenario.
Actualy...

It should also be noted that flagrant offenses may result in a ban even if they do not result in a 300 Infraction Points.

Putting down or insulting ANY play preference, including (but not explicitly limited to) choice of game system, choice of preferred levels, classes, or races, choice of setting, choice of power level, etc.
Worst case you post a single rant about how you dont like people who play FATAL and the mods ban you.

Now, I expect that next someone will want to revisit the issue of destroying evidence so that there's no place one can go to appeal an infraction, but this is also patently false. It's removed from our view, but it is not destroyed.
Now you dont know that. Its true that virtualy any information can be retrieved with enough digging but but all it takes is one mod who is also a hacker logging in and seeing that no other mods are active....
Although i doubt that such a thing happens, it could.

because it is an issue of privacy between the staff and the banned
See, my problem with that is that a number of people i know on here i ONLY know on here. Logging in one day to find someone you know has disappeared (or rather, been disappeared) and no one wants to talk to you about it is...disturbing. In fact, experiancing that is a big reason why i post what i do today.

Roland St. Jude
2009-10-01, 03:21 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This thread belongs in Board Issues, so it's been moved there.

For the record,

rpgsr4me, your warning expires six months from when you got it, 3/24/2010.
I think you can look at your own public profile and see when your warning/infraction expires, if not, feel free to ask via PM.
There's no such thing as an infraction with a five-year expiry. The ones that are permanent are spelled out in the rules and have "Permanent" in the name when you get them.
froogleyboy, the longest one you have is two years.
If your signature doesn't conform to the Forum Rules, expect someone will report it eventually and you'll get a Warning. If you violate them again (or don't fix it), expect to get an Infraction.
If you see a signature that is too long, feel free to report it - others are certainly doing so.
The standard for profanity in PbP is the same as everywhere else, an occasional use of mild profanity is one thing, frequent use or particularly vulgar profanity is another. Though by virtue of being in a PbP it's unlikely to get reported.
What Zeb said in post #51 is pretty much on target.
The indicator under your avatar, which only you and the moderators can see, is (Warnings/Infractions) (Points). So (1/0) (0) is one warning, zero infractions and no points.
The suggestion that I'm looking to ding you speed-trap style is as offensive as it is false, which is to say completely. Staying on top of the things that need to be addressed and things that get reported leaves little enough time for reading the board let alone lurking around looking for more work to do, particularly for something like signatures that, while against the Forum Rules, aren't going to explode overnight if not addressed.
There really is nothing secret about the process as it relates to you. The Forum Rules are linked at the top of every page. Plenty has been said about them in this subforum. Queries via PM are answered promptly. Now, if someone else wants to know about what you've received, we don't tell them.

The OP's question has been answered. I've tried to address the other issues raised. Some of them, like why we don't tell other people what infractions you've received or discuss why a person's been banned has been discussed at length elsewhere and aren't amenable to the kind of quick answer in list form that I was going for here.

Thread locked. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79874)