PDA

View Full Version : [SoD Spoilers] Right-Eye's daughter?

Hephaestus
2009-09-29, 03:30 PM
Okay, I just read through Start of Darkness again and I noticed something. On page 100, Right-Eye says how he was able to smuggle his daughter out from Xykon's rule before his family was killed off. And now he doesn't know where she is. Does anyone have any theories as to what The Giant might do with this in the plot? Or are there any instances where she might be in the background of a scene?

Ancalagon
2009-09-29, 04:17 PM
Okay, I just read through Start of Darkness again and I noticed something. On page 100, Right-Eye says how he was able to smuggle his daughter out from Xykon's rule before his family was killed off. And now he doesn't know where she is. Does anyone have any theories as to what The Giant might do with this in the plot? Or are there any instances where she might be in the background of a scene?

Has been debated. Result: We cannot know until something happens in the comic that shows more about that issue.

There were theories that Therkla was that daughter, but those were quite dead for some good reasons - even before she was.

Somniloquist
2009-09-29, 04:47 PM
My theory, supported by nothing:

Wherever she is now, she knows about what humans have done to her people and what her uncle is doing to them now. She has founded her own order of paladins (why paladin? Because Redcloak's reaction would be interesting) with the goal of ending the Plan, destroying Xykon, and ultimately carving out a safe place in the world for goblinkind. This will be the last of the factions to appear and will give Redcloak the last chance he gets to change his mind - which he might not take.
Please note that I haven't read SoD yet, though I've read spoilers. (Note to self: fix that.)

hamishspence
2009-09-29, 04:49 PM
Now that's an interesting theory. And there is nothing in SoD that refutes the possibility.

TheBST
2009-09-29, 05:28 PM
Another theory

She isn't important and we won't be seeing her again. The reason it was mentioned that she lived was to, in a way, explain why Right Eye planned revenge against Xykon rather than going insane with grief and attacking him in impulse. If all of Right Eye's children had died, that's the express train to
Crazyville. Knowing at least his daughter survived gave Right Eye something to hold onto while he worked out his plan and waited for his chance to finally take out Xykon.

And then the only other family member Right Eye had left killed him.

Damn...

Studoku
2009-09-29, 05:34 PM
My theory, with very little evidence:

Right-eye's daughter is Haley, under an illusion spell.

King of Nowhere
2009-09-29, 06:11 PM

Wherever she is now, she knows about what humans have done to her people and what her uncle is doing to them now. She has founded her own order of paladins (why paladin? Because Redcloak's reaction would be interesting) with the goal of ending the Plan, destroying Xykon, and ultimately carving out a safe place in the world for goblinkind. This will be the last of the factions to appear and will give Redcloak the last chance he gets to change his mind - which he might not take.
Please note that I haven't read SoD yet, though I've read spoilers. (Note to self: fix that.)
You know, I've been in this forum for a while, and I've read all the Start of Darkness thread, but that's the first time I see a theory on Right's eye daughter that makes sense.

Herald Alberich
2009-09-29, 11:56 PM

Fascinating. An idea on how she will be brought in:

The Order will be heading through the northern forests on the way to the last gate. They encounter one of her goblin paladins, and before he gets a chance to explain himself, Belkar jumps him. The daughter charges out of nowhere in rescue and loudly Smites Belkar, providing him with a suitably dramatic death and herself with a badass introduction as everyone stares at the armored goblin chick who can Smite Evil.

CasESenSITItiVE
2009-09-30, 12:04 AM
Another theory

She isn't important and we won't be seeing her again. The reason it was mentioned that she lived was to, in a way, explain why Right Eye planned revenge against Xykon rather than going insane with grief and attacking him in impulse. If all of Right Eye's children had died, that's the express train to
Crazyville. Knowing at least his daughter survived gave Right Eye something to hold onto while he worked out his plan and waited for his chance to finally take out Xykon.

Damn...

while possible, i can't see that happening, the whole thing screams chekhov's gun

Aldrakan
2009-09-30, 12:06 AM

The Order will be heading through the northern forests on the way to the last gate. They encounter one of her goblin paladins, and before he gets a chance to explain himself, Belkar jumps him. The daughter charges out of nowhere in rescue and loudly Smites Belkar, providing him with a suitably dramatic death and herself with a badass introduction as everyone stares at the armored goblin chick who can Smite Evil.

That would be a very good way to make everyone who likes Belkar to immediately hate her and ignite the forums calling for her death.

Herald Alberich
2009-09-30, 12:28 AM
That would be a very good way to make everyone who likes Belkar to immediately hate her and ignite the forums calling for her death.

True. And when has the Giant ever cared about that?

David Argall
2009-09-30, 12:55 AM
Has been debated. Result: We cannot know until something happens in the comic that shows more about that issue.

As said. We barely know a daughter exists/ed. She could be used in the plot almost any way at all and we have little chance of guessing which way until we get at least a little more evidence. It does seem likely she will be used. Her survival seems a loose end otherwise. But she can be used in so many ways... Best to guess where we have better odds of getting it right.

factotum
2009-09-30, 01:23 AM
Now that's an interesting theory. And there is nothing in SoD that refutes the possibility.

There's nothing in SoD that refutes the possibility that the Order are going to defeat Xykon by drowning him in tabasco sauce, either, but I don't think that's very likely to happen... :smallbiggrin:

Larkspur
2009-09-30, 01:28 AM
The major argument I see against her reappearance is that the whole Redcloak/Right-Eye backstory would take a long time to explain, but her reaction to Redcloak would have to be informed by it.

Redcloak just isn't important enough in the main strip to get a giant exposition segment recapping backstory that was already covered in SoD, I don't see how the Giant could bring her in without it- people who haven't been spoiled for SoD don't even know Redcloak had a brother, and the emotional arc is going to depend on the Right-Eye connection. So I'm not expecting to see her.

Kish
2009-09-30, 01:31 AM
Redcloak just isn't important enough in the main strip to get a giant exposition segment recapping backstory that was already covered in SoD,
Huh? Oh I disagree. From where I'm sitting, he's one of the eight main characters of the comic.

Philix
2009-09-30, 01:34 AM
There's nothing in SoD that refutes the possibility that the Order are going to defeat Xykon by drowning him in tabasco sauce, either, but I don't think that's very likely to happen... :smallbiggrin:

I saw something in SoD that refutes that. :P

He's a lich, he doesn't need to breathe.

Nimrod's Son
2009-09-30, 01:35 AM
The major argument I see against her reappearance is that the whole Redcloak/Right-Eye backstory would take a long time to explain, but her reaction to Redcloak would have to be informed by it.

Redcloak just isn't important enough in the main strip to get a giant exposition segment recapping backstory that was already covered in SoD, I don't see how the Giant could bring her in without it- people who haven't been spoiled for SoD don't even know Redcloak had a brother, and the emotional arc is going to depend on the Right-Eye connection. So I'm not expecting to see her.
Redcloak's recent closeup examination of a pointy metal pole is a great excuse for him to start getting all angsty about his family, though. I don't expect she'll show up any time soon, but I'd be surprised if she doesn't show up at all.

Vargtass
2009-09-30, 02:09 AM
Redcloak's recent closeup examination of a pointy metal pole is a great excuse for him to start getting all angsty about his family, though. I don't expect she'll show up any time soon, but I'd be surprised if she doesn't show up at all.

Righteye has also already been mentioned by name in the main comic, here, third panel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0550.html).
So I would be surprised if the explanation is not forthcoming.

Compare, if you will, to how Durkon's backstory is summarised through the flashback to his expulsion, his letter home, his intercepted letter from home, and some of his dialogue with Hilgya.

AxeD
2009-09-30, 02:30 AM

You Fool!! :smallfurious:

It's a little-known fact that liches have a weakness to spicy sauces! Rich has made it clear that he will not base the plot on anything he reads in the forums! You just made him have to change the ending! He'll need to completely rewrite the storyline now! :smalltongue:

Quick! Edit the post and stick into a spoiler before he reads it!! :smalleek:

Sewblon
2009-09-30, 04:40 AM
Another theory

Damn...

Theory is correct, so sayeth Cthulu.

Kaytara
2009-09-30, 07:28 AM
To paraphrase a past post of mine on the same subject... Based on what we know now, I think her most promising possible plot purpose is to serve as a catalyst for the development of Redcloak and his stance on Xykon and the Plan. Her appearance could serve as a blast from the past and force him to reflect on his current situation. Whatever course of action or inaction Redcloak ends up choosing, anything involving his last tie to Right-Eye would really drive the point home.

Allan Surgite
2009-09-30, 10:34 AM

That's an interesting variant on the Worf Effect (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWorfEffect), at the very least.

In any case, I doubt Right-Eye's niece will appear in the story, as I believe that Mr. Burlew has stated that you won't have to buy the prequels to understand anything in the main comic - at most, she won't meet Redcloak to avert this situation... or something~

Kish
2009-09-30, 10:49 AM
In any case, I doubt Right-Eye's niece will appear in the story, as I believe that Mr. Burlew has stated that you won't have to buy the prequels to understand anything in the main comic - at most, she won't meet Redcloak to avert this situation... or something~
Yes, he did state that you won't have to buy the prequels to understand anything in the main comic. However, this too often gets misquoted as "nothing introduced in the prequels will ever be important to the main story," when Rich spelled out that what he means is that if anything he originally introduced in a prequel book becomes important to the main story, he'll provide enough information to understand it online.

That's what happened with Haley's relationship with the Greysky City Thieves' Guild.

(Also, Redcloak never had a daughter, and so his brother never had a niece.)

Ancalagon
2009-09-30, 10:54 AM

The online comic needs only one thing to fix that:
Redcloak: "Wait? You are my brother's daughter? The one he hid before he died?"

Problem solved, the plot can unfold.

Allan Surgite
2009-09-30, 10:59 AM
Ah touché, Kish~ I have only been reading this from information I have read on the forum (and I didn't pick up on the Greysky City Theives' Guild note, which I apologise for), as I do not own any of the books (since I would rather wait until I could order them en masse to minimise on P&P costing). Thank you for correcting my error.

(Typography error, sorry. Must have had my wires' crossed.)

jidasfire
2009-09-30, 12:19 PM
I have a theory on this, although there are a number of holes in it. Still, I'll present it anyway and see if you guys can shoot it down for me.

We know Right-Eye smuggled his daughter away with humans. So, who's a human Right-Eye knew? And knew wouldn't kill him on sight? Eugene Greenhilt. We also know that Eugene's second son died in a magical accident he couldn't fix. We know he's a highly skilled Illusionist, and while we don't know it for sure, it seems likely that Right-Eye's daughter and Julia Greenhilt are probably of similar age.

So yes, I am suggesting that Julia is in fact Right-Eye's daughter. It would explain her tendency toward Neutrality, it would have given Eugene an opportunity to make up for the death of his son, in his own twisted way, and it would be a good way to continue the relationship between Right-Eye and Eugene. Plus, if the truth ever came out, it would give Roy and Redcloak a strange chance to bond over something.

Now, again, I am aware of the problems here. For one thing, the timing is severely off, and unless Eugene actually altered the memories of both his wife and son (which, given his personality, is not impossible), there's no reason they wouldn't know, or at least assume she was adopted. Still, could be something there.

Janmorel
2009-09-30, 05:56 PM
So yes, I am suggesting that Julia is in fact Right-Eye's daughter. It would explain her tendency toward Neutrality, it would have given Eugene an opportunity to make up for the death of his son, in his own twisted way, and it would be a good way to continue the relationship between Right-Eye and Eugene. Plus, if the truth ever came out, it would give Roy and Redcloak a strange chance to bond over something.

Now, again, I am aware of the problems here. For one thing, the timing is severely off, and unless Eugene actually altered the memories of both his wife and son (which, given his personality, is not impossible), there's no reason they wouldn't know, or at least assume she was adopted. Still, could be something there.

Well, she does like green.

It's not very likely, but it's a fun idea to play with. The biggest hole in the theory is the Oath. All flashbacks indicate that Eugene didn't think that Roy was smart enough to defeat Xykon on his own and was counting on Julia to do it when she was older -- and "Blood Oath" implies that a blood relative would have to fulfill it in order for the terms to be met.

However, there are ways around that if you want there to be. First, it's not impossible that whoever created the thing was politically correct enough to let the adopted kids play too. Second, depending on just how manipulative you think Eugene actually is, telling Roy to pawn the Oath off on his baby sister may have been some sort of reverse psychological plot to motivate Roy to fulfill the Oath himself.