PDA

View Full Version : Halfling rogue for a new player

Alejandro
2009-09-29, 04:21 PM
Hello forumites.

I'm going to be helping a player (who is new to 3.5 D&D) rework a character they made. She is going to be processed into a 7th level Rogue/3rd level Divine Seeker, and is a halfling that follows Tymora.

I just thought I would post and ask for any feat advice. She will already have the feats Stealthy and Weapon Finesse, but there are still 2 more feats to be filled. The player enjoys missile weapons over melee weapons, and tries to stay out of the mix in battles.

Eldariel
2009-09-29, 04:28 PM
What sources are you using in the game? The following feats are borderline-automatic for a Rogue if allowed:
Darkstalker [Lords of Madness]: Allows you to Hide from creatures with Blindsight/Sense/Tremorsense/similars (that is, they have to beat your Hide-check to see you).

Craven [Champions of Ruin]: Gives you extra damage to Sneak Attack equal to 1 point per character level. Suffer some small penalties to Fear-saves.

Other feats of use specifically for a ranged combatant:
Rapid Shot (if into archery; extra chance at full BAB -2 to deal SA helps a great deal with connecting at least once)
Quick Draw (if into thrown weapons; allows you to do iteratives with them and also helps with Wand-use)
Two-Weapon Fighting (throwing weapons two-handed can be a decent way to deal damage provided you can negate the range increments to actually hit)

Oh, and one alternative class feature I strongly suggest:
Penetrating Strike [Dungeonscape]: Trades away Trap Sense (whoppedoo) for the ability to deal ½ your full Sneak Attack damage to normally immune opponents when flanking them; helps with the "oh look, undead, I can't deal damage!"-issue.

Assassin89
2009-09-29, 04:33 PM
Based on fighting style, I would suggest far shot and its prerequisite point blank shot, but not sure how well those would fare. Possibly she could work towards shot on the run to distance from enemies.

Alejandro
2009-09-29, 04:33 PM
Most sources are allowed, except for magazines like Dragon.

The GM does not allow Craven to be taken by good aligned characters.

lsfreak
2009-09-29, 05:06 PM
The GM does not allow Craven to be taken by good aligned characters.

Then get a feat that does exactly the same thing for a good character. The character focuses so wholly on their divine task that they forsake other disciplines, including keeping themselves "in the moment." They're jumpy because they're so focused on their task at hand (bringing divine judgment, filling the god's wishes, whatever level of zealotry you want) that unexpected changes throw them off.