PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play: Space Empires IV multiplayer reports

Douglas
2009-09-29, 05:45 PM
As the main thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122586) for this game contains a lot of banter and discussion between the players, this is a separate thread for the audience (however many of you there are) to read the LP reports. As discussed in the main thread, there will be a 20 turn delay between the game and the posted reports.

Turn 21 has begun, so it is time to post reports for the beginning of the game and turn 1.

Astrella
2009-09-29, 06:57 PM
Nyxian 1st turn fluff.

-----Nyx Homeworld-----
-----Adjusted Local Date: 3247.352-----
-----Firerock, Defence Initiative Shipyards-----

http://old.filesmelt.com/Imagehosting/pics/e34e661203e8e63dcf2e80cadfc1a0ff.png

Chingari shuddered as the chill wind stroked his face, pulling him out of his thinking. Cold, it was always cold, but they had learned to endure it. Disturbed, he looked up at the metal monstrosity in the distance. The Ardent Hill was to be the Nyx' first large scale starship, and he was tasked to command the nearly finished craft.

"It's ugly and primitive. But strong like like our people. Still, I do not understand why father desires to send me on such a mission."

"The Senate has given your father a great honour by choosing our clan for this task" said his servant Kasumi out of the shadows behind him.

"Honour? Honour is to be gained on the battlefield, not by playing ferry for a bunch of low-born civilians!" spat Chingari in response.

"Still, the Senate has decided, and thus we must follow. Such is the creed of our people."

"Our people, yes..." muttered Chingari as he turned his gaze back at the shining craft.

-----

Sanzh
2009-09-29, 07:08 PM
Right, intro fluff and turn 1.

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/vasati_homeworld.PNG

By looking at surface scans of the planet Vasati, it would be hard to see evidence of life underneath the thick jungle canopy, fed by rolling clouds of methane. The sky was tinted purple, with a thick atmosphere few had seen past. Yet, deep underground was a vast, sprawling civilization. Through a labrynthine network of tunnels and caves the Vasati gathered, as they prepared to embark past this planet. They would know what lay beyond this world. One Vasati walked through the crowds, his carapace somewhat cracked and scratched thanks to the many years he had lived. The Collective had called upon him, and he had no choice but to answer. Aaymt kept up a steady pace, almost watching as the others parted, making a path for him. He entered the hall, surrounded by others like him-- insectoid, their icandescent green eyes following him as he came to the center.

"Aamyt, do you know why we have called upon you?" One of the Vasati called out to him, its mandibles clicking as it spoke.
Aaymt remained silent. He did know-- he was one of the few with some sense, who knew how to make one group work as more than a mass of individuals, but function as a collective, to function as one mass. He had grown tired of it, but someone was needed to lead on the eve of this triumph of research. Someone was needed to lead the Collective, and that was what was being asked of him here.
"You remain silent. You know we must sacrifice or lose all? Are you refusing to do your part?" One of the other speakers asked. The memories of past civil wars remained etched in the minds of the Vasati, the countless lives lost among the fights underground. The wars had taught them to work as a whole, and that some must give up luxuries. Recent research into genetic manipulation and organic technology had only affirmed his point of view, creating division among castes as some were chosen to lead and others to dig the vast tunnels and corridors of the hives.
"I am willing to do my part. I will do what has been deemed necessary for the Collective." He solemnly replied.

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/vasati_coloixnbt.PNG

The meeting was ajourned. Aaymt was now Overseer, and was to lead this fledgling empire in both conquest and peace. He left the hall. Already the first of the colonizing ships was being assembled-- he needed to ensure those onboard would be fit to start their lives anew. He had many pressing concerns-- who would manage finances, labor, and research as they grew, who would ensure their worlds and systems remained in their hands, who would manage affairs with other species. This would all be dificult, but it was his duty to ensure their survival. Research had already begun into more advanced starship hulls, to replace the small but lithe ships that they already used-- a remnant of earlier, primitive space programs.

Sacrifice or lose all.

Douglas
2009-09-29, 10:08 PM
Derajil homeworld:
http://filesmelt.com/downloader/deraj.png

---Stardate 2400.0---
---Next to the newly completed space elevator on Deraj---

Asdar looked up at the thin ribbon twisting into the sky and shook his head. Such a wonder had barely been dreamed of in his youth, but now the scientists were promising more every time he turned around it seemed. No matter, he had business to attend to. "What's this about not being able to finish the new colony ship on schedule, Serold? You know when the Director wants that thing in space."

"The Director is asking the impossible. My men could finish that ship in time, but not without an unsustainable effort, and he's insisting on a sustained output of one ship per month. I'd have a mutiny on my hands at the end of a year if I tried that."

"Nonsense, I walked past several facilities sitting idle on my way here. Get them on the job and you should be done in plenty of time."

"B-b-but those facilities are for repair work, not brand new construction!"

"So? They're capable of rebuilding destroyed components from scratch, aren't they? With the full resources of this world behind them, why can't they build them new as well?"

"Er..."

----------------------
This:
http://filesmelt.com/downloader/derajil_ice.png
can be built in one turn (barely) at normal construction rates at my homeworld.

It can then be retrofitted in one turn into this:
http://filesmelt.com/downloader/derajil_ice2.png

And so, I achieve one new colony ship per turn without the use of emergency build at the cost of delaying them by one turn. A nice little trick I figured out a while ago, though space yard bases or building a space yard early on a colony can compete with this quite well past turn 11, and before then it's actually slightly behind compared to simply turning on emergency build.

Juhn
2009-09-30, 11:49 AM
Unless, of course, you killed your Repair Aptitude as proposed in that guide, in which case retrofitting takes forever. :smallsigh:

Astrella
2009-10-01, 10:26 AM
Nyxian 2nd Turn Report

-----Nyx Homeworld-----
-----Adjusted Local Date: 3248.223-----
-----Heralds Peak, Office of the Consul-----

http://old.filesmelt.com/Imagehosting/pics/91b65a41bb9faa8a3927e78bd0511850.png

Elaborate cloths detailing the history of his people decorated the walls of Consul Davian's office. A bright screen in front of him showed what appeared to be the stellar equivalent of a whirlpool. Letting out a small sigh, he looked up at his science advisor. He was still young, and was explaining this new discovery with barely hidden enthusiasm.

...and we expect that these Warp Points as we've come to call them can provide us with a safe and fast way of interstellar travel."
Davian raised his hand, interrupting the scientist. "This is all very nice, Geroni, but I have more pressing concerns at the moment. Continue observations, you are excused."

"Interstellar travel...the possibilities would be endless!" he thought by himself. "But now, I must first get these bickering clans off the planet."

-----

A pretty uneventful turn, with the discovery of Propulsion II and production directed towards new colony ships.

Steilos
2009-10-02, 03:00 PM
Chapter 1: No Signs of Life
DR 5, Deciles 0-1 (Turns 1 and 2)
------------------------------------
There was a large ship in the city's hangar bay, far larger than any commercial traffic. It loomed over the various hovercars and planes skittering around it nervously.

"...So, this will be our first foray into outer space, then?"
"Aye, sir. It's ready for use as soon as we get it loaded."
Director Lomax nodded.
"How many can it hold, precisely?"
"Estimates are around 24 million, enough to start a self-sustaining colony on another world."
MECHANICS TIME!
This will be the format of the workings of the game, for any of you that missed the last thread. Anyway..

Colony Ships are, as the name suggests, colony building ships. They hold a colony module adapted for a specific type of planet - rock, gas giant, and ice - and usually the basic components such as bridge and life support. The rest is usually crammed with engines. I'll go into detail about ship design next chapter, don't worry yerselfs.

Colonies, once established, produce resources for your empire and build things for it. So it's a good idea to have lots of 'em. A thing to note about colonies is that they have very limited growth and build space if the atmosphere is not the kind your race breathes. So be careful where you put 'em.

Later that day, confetti rolled down the sides of the hangar as the cheering crowds watched the first colony ship of the Ophoolo Hegemony prepare for takeoff. However, in the back there were some very worried noises coming from the labs.
"You're telling me that the entire system save our homeworld Aeros is hostile to our flora, fauna and our very survival!?"
(OOC: Not the nicest start for Kane here. If he wants a decent colony, a traveling he must go.)
"Y-yes sir. The entire system is either not the right type or the right atmospheric make up to sustain a full colony. We will have to use far smaller domed colony designs if we wish to expand."
Lomax scowled and leaned back in his chair, sitting in front of a rather sheepish Science minister.
"So that's the limit, eh? So much for breaking the boundaries of space..."
"Actually sir, we have found one oddity.."
"Oh really? Do tell."
"There's these anomalies just hanging at the edge of our system. They- I'm not sure on this- they may lead to different systems."
"Hm?"
"Yes, sir. One of the unmanned planetary probes entered one. It's positional data changed drastically, sir. However, it's battery died before it could transmit images."
"Knowing you, Garox, I'm going to guess you've sent more..."
Garox beamed.
"Yessir! They've already entered, as a matter of fact. First image should be coming up now..."
The screen next to them flashed briefly, and went dead.
"What happened?"
"The uh, probe went dead again sir. Must be something about the anomaly. Anyway, although we don't know what's in the system sir, we know enough that it IS a system, thanks to the sensor reports.."
"Alright... I'll pass the message on to Geran. Goodbye."

Captain Alto Driak, on the bridge of the colony ship, recieved Geran's orders, nodding slightly. He turned to the address system and spoke to his crew.
"Crew, listen up. We're headed out for this ..anomaly thing. Whatever it is, we've got to fly through it.”
The crew, perhaps rightly, didn't like the sound of this.
“..Look, I'm assured it's completely safe. The only thing that seems to happen is a slight loss of power, 'cordin' to the science guys..”
NEW MOVIE INFORMATION SIGN!
Warp points connect systems. They cost 1 movement to move through. Warp points are like
a thread connecting systems. If you see a warp point at the top of your system, odds are that the system it leads to is further north in the quadrant that your current location.

Oh and by the way, the probes are just flavour. They don't actually exist ingame.
There was a sigh from the intercom. “Just fire up the engines.”
And so, with a mighty roar, the ship fired it's engines and sailed off to destinations unknown.

Thoughts? I'm going to wait a few turns before the next bit as I'm doing it in chunks, since it's alll quiet on this front for the first few turns.

Sticking to my original plan of firing up screenshots at turn 10.

Fri
2009-10-02, 06:54 PM
Yes. This is what I've been waiting for actually.

Juhn
2009-10-04, 02:45 PM
Time of Void, Zero Date

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Source.png

These, the records of Chronicler Olu, will serve as the official history of the Eee Consortium as it experiences the Time of Void. Finally, hundreds upon hundreds of years after the first complete map of Source was made, we will have need for explorers again. As the long Time of Loneliness finally drew to a close, a new Omnicron council was appointed, representing each of the 4.8 billion Eee, and they will share with me all of the events of this Time as they unfold. This Omnicron appears to share the curiosity of our species, though I fear its members may be too naive. The gases of Source are opaque, and we have no idea what awaits us beyond its hold. I can only hope that the Omnicron’s optimism is not unfounded.

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Gas_Colonizer_I.png

The Omnicron informs me that designs for our first voidship have been finalized. It is a colony ship, capable of holding several million eager colonists. The newly-built shipyards of Source are going to be put to the test – the Omnicron has ordered that they construct and send off voidships at double the normal rate for the next full year. This will allow us to have our first Colony ship in the void as early as next month. I am rather envious of the chosen colonists: they will be the first Eee ever to see what lies beyond the thick red skies of Source.

Steilos
2009-10-12, 04:20 PM
Chapter 2: Nevertheless...
DR 5, Deciles 2-5 (Turns up to 6)
------------------------------------

“When you are the toothpaste in the cosmic tube, squeezed through 11 different dimensions at a speed unhealthily faster than light, you gain a new understanding of the world around you. You are reinforced spiritually and mentally. You become a better person, more able to deal with the everyday challenges of life.

And that therefore is why you must fly through the potentially unstable cosmic anomaly which may or may not deposit you into a rip of time and space. Any questions?”
Minister of Scientific Endeavour, Garox, to the crew of the first Colonial Expedition

“Yes. Can I quit?”
Unnamed crew member

Captain Driak dragged himself off the bridge controls and looked blearily around him. The radio crackled into life.
“This is Aeros, you've disappeared from the system. Do you read?”
A thousand and one snappy answers crowded out the Captain's mind, but eventually self preservation took hold.
“I... read you, Aeros. We're... Well, I don't actually know. Running scans now.”
“Let's see... This ain't Zitrod any more, Aeros.”
“So you're in a different system? Wonderful! Any planets?”
“Umm....”
The Captain span around in his chair and almost yelped in alarm. Control reacted.
“Eh!? Captain! What's ha-”
“The entire sodding left screen is filled with planet!”
The next few deciles went as smoothly as expected. By the half way mark of the cycle, the Ophoolo Hegemony had colonies in several systems, Cewadi and Zanthris standing out in particular. The startling find Driak had made was actually a gigantic habitable hydrogen planet with even more room than Aeros. Within a few deciles preparations were complete and Director Lomax stood- well, floated- on the surface of an alien world. He was talking to a member of the research team “about these projects...” It was a funding talk, the kind that any self-respecting researcher dreaded.
ABOUT SCIENCE

Science in Space Empires IV is quite simple. You pick a project out of many, wait a few turns until it's done, and reap the benefits. Which technologies to research though, that's the problem. Some people like to start off with Physics, which unlocks shields, cloaking, guns, all that GOOD stuff. If you want a strong military, you really cannot go wrong with physics and ship construction (which surprise, gives you bigger hull sizes). Some prefer to get their industry going in order to build huge fleets later. In the end, it comes down to personal choice.

PS, I said I'd do the design. Well nevermind that. I'll do it when I get images.

The Opholoo Hegemony now stands tall in its cluster. At least, for now...
I'll cover everything in a lot more detail next update. Apologies about the sketchiness of this, that will be fixed soon. In fact, there will be a full report on turn 10.

Douglas
2009-10-13, 07:20 PM
Unless, of course, you killed your Repair Aptitude as proposed in that guide, in which case retrofitting takes forever. :smallsigh:
Yeah, I had to plan for this in race setup. My repair aptitude is 82%. Low, but high enough that after the -2% penalty from Berzerkers it's still 80% and high enough to get a repair rate of 4 components per turn from my homeworld's space yard. Dropping it the rest of the way to 50% would only get me 350 racial points which isn't really all that much.

Anyway, turn reports:
---Stardate 2400.1---
The construction of the first Icarus class colony ship moved out of the construction yards and into the repair yards. The incomplete hull is in orbit with four more engines being added on.

---Stardate 2400.2---
The Icarus 0001 heads out for the nearest warp point.

---Stardate 2400.3---
Excitement erupts in the ruling council on Deraj as news of the discovery of no less than five airless ice worlds in the neighboring system of Nooloom arrives. Three of them are tiny, unfortunately, but that only puts a slight damper on the jubilation and the other two are medium and large. The medium one even has more metal ore as reported by the survey than Deraj itself!

The Icarus 0001 is ordered to continue exploring while the Icarus 0002 follow up to colonize the large planet and start a research colony.

Side note: The first system I explored was a fair bit better than average. The random number generator is a bit capricious, however, as I have since discovered that there are no other ice/none planets in my entire cluster, not even moons.

---Stardate 2400.4---
Top scientists report that they have finished some significant theoretical work that will eventually allow entirely new fields of applications (discovered Construction 1).

The Icarus 0001 reports a useless nebula, and also that the last warp point covered a greater distance than usual and the ship is apparently in an separate cluster now. Followup colony ships continue being dispatched to Nooloom.

---Stardate 2400.5---
The Icarus 0001 reports a pair of planets that would be extremely valuable if we had the technology to colonize them. Sadly, we don't.

---Stardate 2400.6---
The ruling council is again in a furor, having just received news that the Icarus 0001 has encountered another spacefaring race. After much discussion, the council decides to end this exploration expedition and extend a friendly and optimistic greeting to the Terran Federation. The Icarus 0001 sets course to colonize the most valuable planet yet found, a huge ice/none in the very system the Federation was encountered in. Its resource values are all insufficient to be worth exploiting, so it's another research colony.

The message sent to the Terran Federation:
Greetings Sky Marshal Omar,

We welcome our first encounter with a fellow sentient species. Our meeting is an unparalleled opportunity for both of us. Let us commence trade, both material and intellectual, at once! The potential gain for all is enormous.

Sincerely,

Director Douglas

chiasaur11
2009-10-13, 07:25 PM
The message sent to the Terran Federation:
Greetings Sky Marshal Omar,

We welcome our first encounter with a fellow sentient species. Our meeting is an unparalleled opportunity for both of us. Let us commence trade, both material and intellectual, at once! The potential gain for all is enormous.

Sincerely,

Director Douglas

The poor, poor naive schmucks.

Astrella
2009-10-13, 07:27 PM
I'll post my missing turn reports sometime tomorrow.

Juhn
2009-10-14, 01:42 PM
Some of my earlier turn reports will be missing, as I don't actually have the notes and several turns were largely eventless.

Time of Void, Fourth Month

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Crushing_Pull.png

Our first Voidship has finally been dismantled, and a colony established. The Colony, and the planet it resides on, has been named Crushing Pull at the insistence of the scientists residing there. Evidently the gravity on that planet is quite strong.

Last month, our second Voidship reported successful travel through the "northern" warp point near Source. It arrived in the Xillantha system, and has been ordered to colonize the largest Gas Giant in the system. Our third Voidship has been ordered to colonize another Gas Giant there. Our fourth voidship has been ordered through the "western" warp point.

Our researchers report that they have finalized a refined design on our current engine technology. After the current build queue for Source's shipyards has been exhausted, Gas Colony ships will be produced with only the newest designs.

Smight
2009-10-14, 04:38 PM
*2400.6*
For the past couple of months everything moved according to plan , exploration and colonization were on the schedule, and then suddenly something happens that can put a wrench in to everything, well there is also the matter of rushing the production but there is still some months before we have to worry about that.

Sky marshal shifted uncomfortably in his chair, it was getting late, he needed a drink and young scientist enthusiasm was starting to bug him all the wrong ways. He turned the picture once again trying to figure which way was up, then spoke " so you claim this thing is an alien vessel".
"Yes,sir it's movement path it's erratic and it's been sending out all kinds of weird signals."
"could it be from old Earth?"
"No sir, I mean we don't know."
"Are they hostile."
"ah well , we don't know."
"What kind of ship is it!?"
"uh it's hard to tell it's alien.."
"So what CAN you tell me."
"uh, nothing much"
"so GO FIND OUT AND DON'T BOTHER ME AGAIN UNTILL YOU GET SOME ANSWERS!!!"
"yessir."
as young scientist stumbled out of the door marshal reached for the bottom drawer of his desk."Time to introduce myself to the stiff drink,
hi drink."

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/8431/frstcontactl.jpg (http://img158.imageshack.us/i/frstcontactl.jpg/)

Juhn
2009-10-15, 02:15 PM
Time of Void, Eighth Month
http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Central_Gem._.pnghttp://filesmelt.com/downloader/Unexplained_Mountains.png

Two colonies have been established in Xillantha, the system "north" of Wanduk. The first of these planets has been named, somewhat romantically, as "Central Gem" due to the presence of rare ores at the core of the planet. The second of these planets seems to have mountain ranges. How this occurs inside of a Gas Giant baffles me. It seems to have baffled the aerologists there as well, as they've named the planet after the phenomenon.

Douglas
2009-10-16, 12:09 AM
---Stardate 2400.7---
The Icarus 0001 finished its long journey and colonizes the largest ice world without an atmosphere yet discovered. In other news, the rest of the empire continues functioning uneventfully.

---Stardate 2400.8---
The Terran Federation has replied to our greeting, accepting the Trade and Research Alliance. Their message says:

First I must congratulate you on your aptitude to translate our language this quick, as for the proposal we accept but have a small request to make, please refrain from sending your non commerce ships through our space,

thank you,
have a pleasant day Director.
We readily agree to establish Jinook as a border system that neither side will expand beyond, but we have one question to ask. There is also the matter of the fact that the Federation knows how to colonize many of the planets we currently cannot. We send a new message:

Sky Marshal,

We will refrain from sending any colony ships further into your space than we already have, and any warships we build will of course remain behind the borders, but surely you would not object to mere unarmed survey vessels?

Several observers in Jinook have reported fascinating things about your techniques for establishing settlements on worlds very different from our own. We would be very interested in learning the details of such technology. In exchange, we offer to teach you how to settle on planets like Jinook IV and IX, which our analysts are sure you would have already claimed if you were able to.

Director Douglas

Juhn
2009-10-16, 10:03 PM
Note: this is where I start having an unbroken series of notes, so expect more detail from here on out. This turn was an exciting one even without that, though.

Time of Void, Month 10. End of first year of space exploration.
http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Vengeful.png
Two new colonies have been established this month. The first colony established in the system Tesshana has been named Vengeful, for its profoundly inhospitable conditions. The second colony, however, has proved far more interesting:

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Turquoise_Sands.png
The planet, named in the tradition of all of our colonies, has been named Turquoise Sands after its aerological features. However, our scientists have found something of profound interest. Though we know much of the gaseous worlds we inhabit, we know surprisingly little of our own biology. Eee have always reacted interestingly to new conditions, however, and this particular planet in Xillantha has caused surprisingly useful reactions. Using these, we should be able to establish research into various areas of Eee Biology. We are hopeful that what we learn about ourselves will at least be somewhat applicable to any alien species we may encounter.

We have also experienced a breakthrough in propulsion technology; all new ships produced will make use of these new engines.

Finally, and most profoundly, we have discovered our first alien species upon venturing to the "eastern" cluster! Our scientists have theorized, once they realized that leaving Source was possible, that alien life might exist. Now, however, we have undeniable proof:

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Xurian.png
These aliens appear be composed of metals - quite different from the bioelectric spheres of our own species. Our colonizer which first encountered them sent a welcome message, proposing an exchange of resources and information. The captain is to be commended for his unhesitant spread of Eee ideals of information-gathering and peaceful cohabitation. I for one cannot describe how excited I am by this news: my mate tells me that, upon reading this section of the Omnicron's report, I lit up in colours that it has not seen since my adolescence.

Juhn
2009-10-17, 01:32 PM
Time of Void, Year Two, Month One:

The last of the second-grade colonizers floated off the assembly lines of Source. All future colonizers will include the new engines mentioned in our last report.

We received a message from the aliens, asking us to establish trade relations on the conditions that we bring no harm to something (we assume it is an organism of some type) called "Timothy R. Jenkins". We are not a hostile species, so this was agreed to immediately. The message sent by these metallic organisms, when translated, implied that they did not receive our initial message. Perhaps they are simply unaware of our method of communication via bioluminescence. They also seem to communicate via electrical signals, however, so their message was not difficult to translate. We simply turned the electrical signals into corresponding colours on our screens. Our reply underwent this process in reverse, so hopefully they will be able to understand us.

We note that they have a curious method of locomotion - their colonies are built on rock surfaces, on which they move exclusively. They do not float as we do, though we are confident that with their knowledge we could find a method of colonizing rock-based planets. All current simulations have proved disastrous - Eee have a tendency to explode violently when pierced by jagged rock, so we have made no actual attempts thus far. With this knowledge, however, such problems could potentially be avoided. We have requested that they consider sharing this knowledge with us in the future, and we have offered our knowledge of the colonization of gaseous planets in exchange.

There is one problem, however. Apparently these metallic beings come from a world completely lacking in gaseous atmospheres, and our scientists tell us that they would undergo all manner of unpleasant reactions (such as rusting to the point of no longer being able to function on worlds with an oxygen-based atmosphere) upon contact with all the common types of atmosphere. Our scientists have also told us that a gaseous planet lacking a prevalent atmosphere should be impossible, but the Omnicron has decided to offer the machines our technology anyway, should they prove interested. According to the Omnicron, in the case that our scientists prove to be incorrect, the chance to study these aliens in such an environment would be invaluable to a species as curious as our own. I, for one, am in agreement on this matter.

Time of Void, Year Two, Month Two:

All ships have been redirected away from the Xurian cluster – the Omnicron does not want to risk angering our new allies, and much of our own cluster remains unexplored. The Xurians have sent us a message: they seem optimistic regarding our new relationship, and as such the request to trade colonization technologies, mentioned in the last report, has been sent.

Astrella
2009-10-17, 02:20 PM
-----Herald's Peak, Office of the Consul-----
-----AD (Astral Date) 2401.1-----

The Nyxian Senate has arranged large quantities of resources towards expanding their presence throughout the Nizzarian system. During the year since the launch of the first Nyxian interstellar craft, 6 new colonies have been settled, with the Nyxian Senate taking care to avoid having bickering clans share the same planet.

Several minor incidents concerning the Garundi clan have occurred. Upon hearing of the Senate plans, they immediately stated their refusal to leave the Nyxian homeworld and sealed of all routes towards their clan grounds. Several impassioned speeches later, their Clan Lord was still not convinced of the wisdom in Consul Davian's words, so the Senate decided to absolve the Garundi clan and divide it's people over the other clans. By losing right of rulership over his subjects, the Clan Lord lost all means of resisting. Greatly shamed by this, the Garundi Clan Lord and his closest staff took their lives, as is common by the Nyxian code of honour.

Despite this unfortunate event, most of the colonization efforts have gone without real problems. The Senate was disturbed however by the lack of fertile planets in the Nyxian homesystem, so they ordered the construction of several new craft equipped with newly developed long-range scanning devices.

The first warp jump was undertaken by success by one of these experimental vessels, leading to the exploration of the first foreign system by Nyxian scouts earlier this month.

-----

Douglas
2009-10-18, 12:34 AM
---Stardate 2400.9 and 2401.0---
A rather uneventful pair of months pass in the Derajil Collective. Colonization continues, as normal.

---Stardate 2401.1---
Derajil scientists report the recent invention of a new type of vehicle designed for ground combat. Questions about what these "troops" would be armed with were met with a curious silence.

---Stardate 2401.2---
Scientists unveil the weapons they developed for their ground combat vehicles, which were rushed through testing in response to the numerous questions about what use an unarmed troop could possibly be. The ruling council promptly ordered the construction of small quantities of troops armed with the weapons throughout the Collective for peacekeeping purposes. These should be much more effective at quelling certain varieties of crime and more extreme internal disputes than previous methods. Aside from the direct effects, analysts predict that the people will feel safer and happier knowing the Rangers are there to protect them.

Note: Yes, I min-maxed my empire design a bit and dropped Happiness all the way down to 50%. Troops are my answer for how to deal with it, as troops present on a planet increase happiness over time and the increase is per troop. Get enough troops (20 or so is enough) and the effect overwhelms the racial penalty on that planet. Technically I could have achieved the same effect with cheaper troops by not bothering to give them weapons, but that just seems silly to me. Plus, armed police troops makes it harder for enemies to cherry pick capturing my colonies and makes it easier to amass a troop invasion force on short notice.

Juhn
2009-10-18, 01:14 PM
In which we see some species-to-species interaction:

Time of Void, Year Two, Month Three:

The Xurians have requested that we remove our ships from their cluster, and state that they are uninterested in our colonization technology. This is unsurprising; as stated before, it will likely be of little practical use to them. They mentioned not trusting us enough yet, though, which implies that their reasoning was not related to the usefulness of the technology. However, they did also state something about having statistics that stated that such a trade would strengthen our relations. I agree that it would, at least until they realize that gas-colonization technology is largely useless to their species. Perhaps they will find other potential colonists, who can survive in an atmosphere? In return, we have agreed to bar all of our ships from their cluster for the next six months, though we have asked that they do the same. They likely still have much of their home cluster still to explore, just as we do, so this will probably not inconvenience them much.

In other news, a colonizer has mapped another system in our home cluster, which has been named “Ikrod”. I have never heard of this particular shade, but then I have never been much of an artist. Green, blue, orange and whathaveyou have always worked well enough for me. In any case, three sizable oxygen-based planets have been discovered and categorized, but the colonizer has been sent to continue exploring until it finds a Hydrogen-based planet. If needed, these oxygen planets can be colonized later – there are no species threatening to take the system from us at this point in time.

Sanzh
2009-10-18, 01:44 PM
Date: 2401.0
One year had passed since Aaymt had been chosen as Overseer. Colonies under the Collective now stretched across the cluster, stretching from Mveloem in the galactic west to Lapzooli in the south and Cretirk in the east. For now, at the very least, the Vasati held dominion over this system. Aaymt looked up from his office, amid piles of reports and many representatives from varying castes and species, all wanting to meet with the Overseer.
One report caught his particular attention. Recently, a small group of scientists had made a breakthrough with genetic manipulation. Although from the start the Vasati were many different species-- what allowed them to succeed and prosper was the very division of society-- the report suggested that new species could be artificially grown and created. According to the report, they had been able to artificially produce and sustain an organism capable of serving as a vessel.
He had yet to see the specifics of this. Although images were attached of the organism and the grafted subsystems and engines that had been carved out from its exoskeleton and some of its organs, it still excited him. The first colony ships had only been able to be sent out because he enforced nearly a year of hard labor to churn out the vessels. Now, he would be able to reduce crew and maintain rapid production of much larger vessels. He wanted more insight and research investigated into this new field.
The other reports seemed inconsequential-- most of them were just building responses, and the one on the recently discovered technology a team of xeno-archaeologists discovered bored him. For now, he was going to pursue his vision of the Collective.

Kane
2009-10-18, 09:26 PM
Unification's Triumph (Capitol), Aeros Y1D[mid year, I think, working off memory here]

First Contact! Alien Life!

'Contact with a race referring to itself as the 'Rovvari Imperium' occurred in the newly designated Zekrat system last month. Communication attempts succeeded, and all government sources state that dialog is ongoi-g. While this is an exciting da-, Minister of Sc-entific Endeavor, Minister Garox, cl--ms that it is surpassed by the a-tonishin len-th of Yos-ri/Pr-m-us Wor-hol . Linking f--m our c-uster to -he ne-t, it pr--ises n-ar --finit- expa---on.

Daily Front headlines, Age of Expansion; Early year 2; recovered from the ruins of the Capitol Archive

"And your explanation for this is...?" Director Lomax asked, scanning through what little was left of the electronic newspaper. Bad as it had been to start with, the rest of it was completely illegible.

"Reports suggest that it was the drive system research being done at the UEM University labs. They are claiming they made a break through, and that the massive electro-magnetic field that just wiped every unshielded disk in a 256 flight radius. They have forwarded schematics for a... What have they named it?" Minister Garox paused to examine the slate he was holding, " 'Contra-Terrene Engine', if you take them at their word. They're also requesting funds to replace the facilities electronic equipment. It... Well, nothing survived there. That's why it lasted for half an hour, the control computer they were using was disabled as well, so the field persisted until one of them finally got the idea of going for the manual power breakers."

"Well... that goes a long way to tell me what happened, then."

"Sir?"

"The computers here are heavily insulated and shielded. All I knew was happening was that no one was calling me and I was actually getting work done. At least, until-" Director Lomax halted. "Garox, the Capitol Archive was supposed to be just as shielded as we are in here!"

"I... Oh... Well, in that case, I suspect a fraud case might help divert attention from the university." Minister Garox offered.

"Indeed... Speaking of which, why aren't they screaming for more funding? Even when they're asking for repair funds too, I would expect that they'd be attempting to leech this for all it's worth."

"Actually, I'm told the student responsible for this breakthrough has been ejected from the University. In other circumstances, I'd suggest government intervention, but as it is, she's already got every school on planet or the colonies begging her to join them. But to answer your question, they've taken this as an opportunity to completely eliminate their 'hard' science division; they're taking no more applicants for that."

"Hmm... They've always been less research oriented. Not really what we need these days, but..."

"You do know they were responsible for the complete psyche-mapping last year, yes?"

"Of course. And astrophysics is very equipment-intensive. I occasionally forget that the technologies coming from Merrimat's office aren't they only new things. But we digress, and it's my fault. Back on track, the schematics, have you looked over them?" Lomax asked. "These look rather crude, or at least, in need of a skilled engineer to redesign them."

"Yes, the principle is core-solid, and we've already got professionals redesigning the proposed engine."

"Good. And... We aren't going to have to start shielding every component on starships, are we?"

"Actually, yes, but not because of this. Our astrographers worry that some stars are much, much more energetic than those we have yet run into. It seems a worthwhile precaution to heavily shield ships in case they jump into a system with a pulsar, or something worse."

"Well, it seems reasonable. Now, I just have to worry about the titular Rovvari. They aren't hostile, but they are a bit.... abrasive."

"I... See, sir. What does your Xeno Relations committee suggest?"

"Basically, avoid them. They suggest we simply act as if anything beyond the negotiated boundary doesn't exist. Don't worry," Lomax reassured Garox, "I'm sure we'll find some other race you'll hit it off with. I'm certain there are other races that value research as much as we do. Or at least are more approachable."

Smight
2009-10-19, 03:56 PM
*2400.7*

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/339/phonehome.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/i/phonehome.jpg/)

"sooo you say aliens sent you this"
"yes"
"and they don't wanna kill us"
"yes,I mean no, no killing"
"so what do they want"
"trade"
"trade what"
"i don't know, goods, stuff"
"right"
"and what does this doohickey do"
"translates"
"alien to English?"
"anything, seems to be universal translator."
"sir, please stop poking the image, it's just a hologram"
"right, I thought they would be bigger"
"I don't thing this is their actual size"
"so about our reply"
"yes"
"yes????"
"yes we accept the deal, and write something diplomatic in it to"
"but?"
"snap to it, now"
"YESSIR"
"god, I need a drink."

Juhn
2009-10-19, 08:09 PM
Time of Void, Year Two, Month Four

Evidently the Xurians have had a change of heart; the trade went ahead as proposed. We are beginning to suspect that there may be some lag in communications – we shall check next month to see whether the Xurian respond to our message to them this month or last. Now that we have the technology to safely establish open-air colonies on Rock planets, we can finally colonize the third-last Hydrogen-based planet in our home system; the colony ship returning from Xurian territory has been ordered to return to Source, where its colony module will be replaced by one for a Rock planet. In addition, the Vendrin system has been discovered, and it boasts two Hydrogen-based gas giants. Two colony ships have been diverted from exploration in order to capitalize on this discovery.

Time of Void, Year Two, Month Five

The first colony in the Vendrin system has been established, and a build queue has been set up. Our scientists have made a breakthrough in Ship Construction technology; we now have access to the unfortunately-named Destroyer size. A preliminary missile ship design has been created, and our scientists have been instructed to improve our missile technology immediately. They estimate three months of experimentation will be required. Finally, the Gas Colonizer mentioned in the previous report has begun to be retrofitted into a Rock Colonizer.

Time of Void, Year Two, Month Six

The second-to-last system in our home cluster has been registered as “Marjoram”. The Gas Colonizer there has been ordered to colonize the one Hydrogen Gas Giant in the system. Repairs on the retrofitted Rock Colonizer continue.

Douglas
2009-10-20, 11:15 PM
I just noticed I forgot to note here that my colonization tech trade got completed in 2401.0.

---Stardate 2401.3---
Survey data reports an immense rock planet with no atmosphere, a perfect place to put our new colonization technology to work.

Citizens on the homeworld rest easier, knowing that the new Rangers will keep them safer than ever in daily life.

---Stardate 2401.4---
Citizens on Nooloom IIA register a complaint, unsatisfied with the schedule for bringing Rangers to their neighborhood. Every other colony in the Collective has a detachment of them already, why not this one too?

---Stardate 2401.5---
Forecasts of economic growth paint a rosy picture following the colonization of Equandul IX, a gigantic airless planet with good ores to mine. There are many better sources of ore out there, but none with the sheer quantity this planet's size provides.

Astrella
2009-10-23, 01:09 PM
---Astral Date 2401.2---

Scanners have indicated strange energy signatures on a barren planet in the Sutran system. Preliminary analysis seems to indicate large groupings of electrical activity.

---Astral Date 2401.3---

The strange energy readings appear to be some kind of mechanical lifeforms. Scientists are baffled, since despite an apparent lack of life spark they appear to be sentient creatures after all. They have sent us an electronic message, which our science department has managed to translate. They have stated to have no hostile intentions as long as we don't harm something they dub "Timothy R. Jenkins", which the senate has agreed to.

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Xurian.png

Juhn
2009-10-25, 12:18 AM
Time of Void, Year Two, Month Seven

Nothing new to report – Gas Colonizer is on approach to planet, Rock Colonizer is still being repaired.

Time of Void, Year Two, Month Eight
http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Valley_of_Rest.png
The colony in Marjoram has been established; archaeologists have surmised that this planet was the final resting place of two great civilizations. They are absolutely fascinated by this discovery, and no doubt they will have digs and studies to keep them busy for years. The planet has been registered as “Valley of Rest”, at the archaeologists’ insistence. The Omnicron wishes to strengthen our ties to the Xurians, and since it has noticed that we have an atmosphereless rock planet in Wanduk, while they have a large Hydrogen planet in Sutran, it has proposed an exchange of colonization rights. Should this go smoothly, the Omnicron hopes that more such exchanges will occur in the future, benefitting both our species due to the lack of necessity of domed colonies. As such, the Omnicron has offered a trade of our newest Star Chart of Wanduk for the Xurians' newest Star Chart of Sutran.

Time of Void, Year Two, Month Nine

A Rock Colonizer has been built at Emerald Wall, and is now en-route to Source to load population. It will then be sent to the last remaining Hydrogen planet in Wanduk. There has been no response from the Xurians as of yet, though there tends to be a two-month turnaround as messages are concerned. The six-month non-interference policy has run out by now anyway, and so a Rock Colonizer, designated the ECS Diplomacy, has been sent into the Xurian cluster en-route to Sutran III. It will continue unless ordered back by the Xurians.

Time of Void, Year Two, Month Ten

The Xurians apparently believe that we have underestimated their generosity. They have revised our trade of star charts to give us even more. They wish to enter into a Military Alliance, which we agreed to (though we have no military whatsoever at this time). They also offered us a communications channel with another alien race, called the Nyx. The Omnicron ordered the acceptance of this trade immediately. In other news, Colonizers continue to float off the assembly lines, and we will soon colonize the last Hydrogen-atmosphere planet in Xillantha. Orders have been sent to build more, and the Omnicron informs me that they will be sent to explore the last remaining system in our cluster, as well as the cluster to our "south".

Time of Void, Year Three, Month One
http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Nyx.png
We have entered into a Military Alliance with the Xurians. Since we have no fighting ships and they do, we have also offered them our advances in missile technology. They have also given us a method of communicating with the Nyx Republic, and we have offered to enter into a Trade and Research Alliance with them. Our Colonizers are on their way to their destinations, and more have been queued in our planets with no more facility space. Source, as its factory will be up to speed next month, has been ordered to begin constructing the first of our combat-capable ships.

Time of Void, Year Three, Month Two
http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Frozen_Rock.pnghttp://filesmelt.com/downloader/Jigsaw.pnghttp://filesmelt.com/downloader/Crystal_Rings.bmp
This has been a very, very eventful month. Our colonies in Sutran, Xillantha, and Wanduk have all been founded, being named Frozen Rock, Jigsaw, and Crystal Rings respectively. We have received a message from the Nyx Republic. They offered to trade us Ice Planet Colonization, Rock Planet Colonization (which we already had), and Star Charts for what I can only assume is all of their inhabited systems in exchange for our Gas Giant colonization technology and an agreement to enter into a Military Alliance. There is one stipulation, however: they ask for colonization rights for all of the Oxygen-based planets in our systems, and will in exchange give us colonization rights for all of the Hydrogen-based planets in their systems. This worries me greatly. We know almost nothing about these Nyx, though what reports we do have suggest that they are warlike and prone to infighting. Having such a volatile race interspersed throughout all of our inhabited systems... Yes, they have a government which finds us agreeable now, but what about in the future? What about if they decide they need to satisfy their need to fight using the Eee? What if an insurrection occurs and their new government decides we are unneeded? We don’t know anything about these Nyx! We’ve just met them! Yes, the Xurians, our allies through this past year, seem to get along with them, but who’s to say that the same will happen with us? The Omnicron has decided that the benefits outweigh the risks, and has agreed to their terms. I just hope that we won’t see Source burn for this...

Douglas
2009-11-14, 11:38 PM
Ok, time for some turn reports. 20 turns worth of them, to be specific.

---Stardate 2401.6---
Since our expansion into the galaxy began a year and a half ago, we have often fervently wished that we could colonize Munjumb II. This planet, known to our astronomers for millennia, is as large as our homeworld, equally devoid of atmosphere, and has ores very nearly as rich as the richest our scientists think is naturally possible. Today, it is no longer a wish but a reality. Made possible by our trade of colonization techniques with the Terran Federation, the colony just founded will soon begin producing enormous quantities of valuable ores. (Minerals value is 147%. The maximum possible for planets from random generation is 150%.)

Meanwhile, Gergan V is colonized with much less fanfare. It is Huge, but its values are absolutely pathetic - 6%, 26%, and 68%. Yay for research.

In other news, scientists report the completion of a prototype proximity trigger explosive device called a "mine". They are confident that these devices will suffice to ward off any hostile alien races for the time being.

Now confined by borders agreed on with the Federation, the colonization committee dispatches a colony ship to explore the cluster of stars north of that where we first met the Federation.

---Stardate 2401.7---
Nothing particularly noteworthy happened.

---Stardate 2401.8---
The fanfare at the founding of a colony with impressive radioactives resources (142%) is somewhat muted by the fact that one even more impressive (147%) has already started production.

---Stardate 2401.9---
The homeworld is no longer alone in its mission to build the ships that will spread the Derajil across the galaxy. A colony world has finally finished its facility queue, ending with a space yard.

---Stardate 2402.0---
Engineers have improved their knowledge of how to build larger ships. While the name of the new size was clearly chosen with its suitability as a warship in mind, the first use we have for it is slightly faster colony ships.

The ship sent to explore the new cluster has finally arrived there.

---Stardate 2402.1---
Overcrowding on the homeworld, too much for the capacity of our colony ships, has prompted the construction of a dedicated population transport. This ship is now completed and will begin transporting excess population to one of our largest colonies.

The number of space yards in the Collective reaches 3, and all of them are producing colony ships now.

---Stardate 2402.2---
The lead exploring colony ship sends report of an unusually valuable system. Lundra contains three planets with no atmosphere, one each of sizes huge, large, and small.

---Stardate 2402.3---
Top diplomats are puzzles by the receipt of a message from the Terran Federation. More precisely, they are puzzled by its contents, reproduced exactly below:

since you prooven to be most thrustworthy neibourgh we woul like to propose to you this alliance as a sign of our trust and frendship.

Sky Marshal Omar.

Regardless of the phrasing of the message, we see an opportunity here, and send the following reply:

Sky Marshal Omar,

Hmm, the translator must be malfunctioning, the grammar and spelling of the message as we received it were atrocious. We'll get someone out to fix that right away.

We thank you for the sign of trust, and we are willing to sign this treaty. On a similar note, a number of our citizens have expressed an interest in experiencing your culture more closely. Accordingly, we wish to propose an exchange program where members of each of our species may take up residence in the other's society. We estimate the number of Derajil that want to join the initial effort at 100 million.

Director Douglas

The first colonies in the new cluster are founded, one each in Butukret and Lundra.

Scientists unveil a whole new generation of engine technology. These "contra-terrene" engines will allow our destroyer-mounted colony modules to get to their destinations even faster.

---Stardate 2402.4---
The number of operational space yards in the Derajil Collective has climbed to six, sufficient that previous levels of organics production will not be able to sustain production of colony ships at all six of them simultaneously. Fortunately, some farming colonies will be established before our stores are depleted.

The Terran Federation have expressed an interest in trading technology outright, not just the relatively minor exchanges facilitated by our treaty. We agree, provided the exchanges are of roughly equal value.

---Stardate 2402.5---
The Federation has sent a reply to our proposal. We are amused:

Your pineapple seems most interesting we are sure we can find sufficient numbers of aardvarks that will accept your offer for exchange, however we need two bananas to complete the work on our transport ship for them.
our translation system is currently experiencing some football difficulties, our scientist are ironing out the forks as we speak,
thank you
and have a nice hat.

Our first farming colony is established. It is only a moon, but the relatively low demand for organics combined with its phenomenal 148% organics value will make it sufficient for now.

---Stardate 2402.6---
Colonists on a new world are astounded to discover relics of a long-vanished race. Study of these relics yields understanding of several technologies not previously known to the Derajil - Applied Intelligence 1, Drones 1, and Engine Overloading Weapons 1.

We have, at long last, encountered a race other than the Terrans. A Rovvari frigate entered Lundra. The local governors, uncertain of the Rovvari intentions and in a bit of a panic, order all colonies in the system to produce mines as a precaution. Meanwhile, diplomats send a message, having somehow already gained knowledge of the Rovvari leader's name and title.

Greetings Praetor Taviri,

The Derajil welcome our new neighbors. As with our previous discovery of another sentient species, we see great potential for gain through trade. We propose a free trade treaty and the establishment of a high bandwidth communications relay for our scientists to exchange ideas. What do you say? Our citizens are eager to see what strange new goods your merchants might bring for sale, and our researchers know well that an alien viewpoint can often give new insight into old problems.

Sincerely,

Director Douglas

---Stardate 2402.7---
The first trade of technologies with the Terran Federation has been completed, with us giving knowledge of Ship Construction 3 and them giving Military Science 1. At the same time, we have finished the next level of ship construction.

The population transports for the trade agreed on some time ago are now in position, and we formally propose that they be exchanged now.

---Stardate 2402.8---
We have received a reply from the Rovvari. Their attitude towards us seems not very trusting, but not overtly hostile.

We are glad that you are not a death-seeking race, and since we have not met any of that type, perhaps our people can rest happy knowing that there are none that would do something so foolish as to make war. Regardless, a meeting between our peoples at this point may have...unfortunate consequences. We would like to ask that you not enter any space beyond Yukran, which will from now on be a neutral territory. We will maintain a small presence in Yukran, and you may do the same, but any large force will be seen as a hostile threat and treated accordingly.

In his magnificence,
Praetor Taviri

We reply:

We are disappointed with your decision to decline free trade, as the benefits of such a treaty to both parties have been quite thoroughly proven over the past two years, but we will respect your wishes in this matter. Even so, there is one specific exchange of knowledge we would be remiss to not inquire about. The means and techniques of colonizing gas giants would be very valuable to us, and in exchange we can teach you how to make use of the many ice planets that must surely be within your borders. Will you at least agree to this one time transfer of knowledge?
---Stardate 2402.9---
The exchange of population transports with the Federation is complete. We send the transport we received to the galactic north to spread the Terrans through our colonies in that cluster. We also move many of the Terrans to another transport we recently built for the purpose, and send that transport to our home cluster.

We have completed another technology trade with the Federation. We doubt we will ever use the Fighters technology they gave us, but we are willing to give it fair value in trade. The Point-Defense technology (just level 1) that came with it is much more likely to see use in the field. Meanwhile, our own researchers report they have improved on what the Federation gave us and developed Military Science level 2.

Director Douglas gives a State of the Collective address. The address focuses on our number of colonies (25), systems (9), colony ships currently en route (17), and active space yards building more colony ships (7).

---Stardate 2403.0---
Technology trading continues, with us teaching the Federation about our second generation engines and them revealing some theoretical physics. Our researchers have developed ways to fool enemy sensors (Combat Support 1) and theories about the training of warship officers (Advanced Military Science 1).

A second farming colony has joined the first, this one with 145% organics value. It is also a moon, but organics demand is still low.

We have received a reply from the Rovvari. Apparently they are more internally divided than at first appearance, and a somewhat friendlier faction is in control at the moment:

In the name of the Rovvari empire, I, Praetor Kamon, accept your offer of trade, as well as the exchange of technology that will benefit both of our peoples.

Please note that there is apparently a heinous traitor, known as Taviri, that is pretending to be the ruler of our glorious people, and is stirring up unrest. Please ignore any and all messages you may recieve from this imposter.

We now have the means to colonize every planet we have yet found. We also have a Trade Alliance with the Rovvari.

---Stardate 2403.1---
We have finally explored beyond Lundra and found a system with an overabundance of methane. Mentocka has no less than six planets with methane atmospheres.

In a seemingly bizarre trend, yet another moon with ridiculously high organics value is colonized.

We send a message to the Terran Federation:

We have recently encountered a race that hails from a gas giant planet, and we convinced them to trade their knowledge of such planets for our ice planet colonization techniques. While our normal practice is to trade value for value, we gained this technology through no more than dumb luck in the coincidence of our second neighbor, and we feel demanding payment from such good allies for the fruits of such an achievement would be rather crass. Instead, we choose to share our good fortune. Enjoy.

---Stardate 2403.2---
Our lead explorer enters Tudran and simultaneously encounters two new races. We send the following message, hoping for more beneficial trade:

Greetings Overseer Aaymt and Director Lomax,

We are rather astonished to encounter two new alien races simultaneously. This brings the count of known sapient species to 5. We extend our usual welcome to the galactic stage, and we request that you open your borders to free trade and exchange of knowledge. The benefits of such trade for all involved are proven and we would be glad to share the bounty.

Director Douglas
(Same message sent to both empires)

---Stardate 2403.3---
The Terran Federation sends us grave news - an empire on their eastern border has threatened them and taken hostile action. War may break out from this.

Meanwhile, a message from the Ophoolo (proposing a non-aggression treaty) crosses our greeting in transit:

Greetings, Director Douglas. Our explorations, and presumably yours, have led us to meet in the Tudran system. On behalf of the Ophoolo Hegemony, I extend an offer of peace and a hope for mutual cooperation.
~Director Lomax

Our first Intelligence Facility has been completed, and we start putting effort into Counter-Intelligence. Can't be too careful.

While the vast majority of our construction efforts are still focused on colonization, we divert the homeworld's construction towards preparing for war. Specifically, Deraj begins producing space yard bases that will eventually build warships.

We send a reply to the Ophoolo:

Surely with an attitude like that we can agree to more than not shooting at each other. We will await your response to our proposal rather than signing this immediately.

---Stardate 2403.4---
We have sent colony ships to every gas planet within our borders that has an atmosphere our new Terran citizens can breathe.

Messages received:
From Vasati:

The Vasati would certainly be willing to accept the Derajil's gracious offer.

From Federation:

In view of our warm and trusting relationship we seek to further our friendship with this offer of Partnership, we sincerely hope you will accept,
thank you
have a pleasant day,

We accept.

From Ophoolo:

We rejoice at contacting another civilized species, and happily accept your offer. May the future be great for both our species.

---Stardate 2403.5---
We have just completed a technology trade particularly relevant for future military efforts. In particular, we acquired basic armor, combat sensors, and a new and powerful weapon - phased polaron beams.

Our own research efforts have been somewhat recursive of late, producing better research techniques. The Director ordered that all existing research facilities be upgraded immediately.

The colonization committee has regretfully begun sending colony ships to planets neither we nor the Terrans can breathe on naturally, as all planets with compatible atmospheres already have colony ships on the way if they aren't already colonized.

Following the wonderful success of our cultural exchange program with the Terrans, we decide to attempt to expand it. We are uncertain the Rovvari will agree, but if we never ask we'll never know:

Praetor Taviri,

Our people are endlessly curious about everything and since our emergence into space and first encounters with other spacefaring races we have discovered quite a strong fascination with alien cultures. A considerable portion of our population would like to emigrate to your empire so as to learn about and experience your culture better. A much larger portion, those who do not want to uproot their lives quite so completely, have voiced a desire to see Rovvari immigrants. Would you accept an exchange of citizenry? Our surveys estimate that multiple hundreds of millions would willingly join such a program, and modern communication methods mean a relatively paltry number of Rovvari would be sufficient to satisfy the curiosity of the rest. Your volunteers would have to put up with quite a lot of media attention, but we expect that would drop off fairly quickly.

Director Douglas

Smight
2009-11-16, 05:27 PM
As a great philosopher once said "peace is time between two wars",
I will be your host James Smith in this special episode of Galaxy news, live from GNN.

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/8274/rep01w.jpg (http://img203.imageshack.us/i/rep01w.jpg/)

As we casted out in to great unknown but a few years ago we couldn't even dream what the future would bring us, when we met our first alien culture tho strange they proved to be friendly and peaceful, but it now it seams that not all space fearing races seek peace an the prosperity, during last year we met a new species that proved to be nothing like our peaceful neighbour.
First of them calls themselves the "Nyx"
here we have the record of the fist contact,

"...unknown vessel you are entering Federation space please respect our borders..."

"We are the Nyx we do not accept your borders ,oppose us and you shall be destroyed!"

we later learned they were only the vanguard of the real threat, the race calling themselves Eee.

here we have the record of that encounter.

"We are the glorious Eee, do not stand in our way and we may let you live, oppose our greatness and die!!!!"

What followed after that was influx of their warships steadily approaching our lands,

when one of our brave captains attempted to position his ship in defense of one of our younger colonies, he was savagely attacked and killed ,
After that incident we received official declaration of war,
"YOU DARE TO SHOW RESISTANCE TO MIGHTY EEE , WE SHAL KILL EVERY ONE OF YOU FOR THAT INSOLANCE, EEE MUST RAIGN SUPREME!!!"

Now we are at state of war and it is my duty, no my privilege to call upon everyone of our noble citizen to stand in the defence of the federation!!!

We now go live to see what our people have to say about the situation,
Cindy are you reading me.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/8451/repgt.jpg

Thank you James, I am standing here in the centre square of our capital city,
Sir may we have your comment on this war,

Man1 : "we must fight back!!! drive back that scum to the hole they crawled from"
Man2 : "Kill them all!!!"
Woman 1 : "Those eee seem so nasty we must protect our self"
Man3 : " I believe we should be looking for diplomatic solution, after all we are all sentient be.."
Man4 : "They have no right to be here kill those land stealing ***BLEEP**"

That is opinion on the street, back to you James.

Thank you Cindy. We have in our studio Doctor Openhaimer our leading expert in Xenobiology and Xenopsycology what is your opinion.

Well from what I gather, if they were human I would diagnose them with some form of Sociopathic disorder but for all we know that behavior may be normal for their race, also we believe that Eee already conquered several of the other races and is using them as their servants, for example Nyx seem to be used as the scouts so they could prevent their own race from perilous tasks, we also have information's that Eee have one more slave race working for them called Xuria Collective but we have not yet had any contact with them, what little we know of their biology suggests that they need slaves for any heavy labor and to use as soldiers as their body is bot suited for such tasks.

Thank you doctor we seem to be running out of time for today, so I leave you with this words,
you too can make a difference, join now and help in defence of your wold, and remember, a tour of duty guarantees citizenship.

Douglas
2009-11-16, 05:31 PM
Uh, the Vasati are way up in the northwest corner of the galaxy, not part of the Eee's alliance, and you didn't meet them until I gave you their comm channel. I think you meant either the Xurians or the Nyx.

Aragehaor
2009-11-16, 05:39 PM
Uh, the Vasati are way up in the northwest corner of the galaxy, not part of the Eee's alliance, and you didn't meet them until I gave you their comm channel. I think you meant either the Xurians or the Nyx.

When he said the Vasati i thought for a short moment there was someone other then Our alliance that the Federation was at war with, then you posted and Crushed that dream Douglas! Crushed it!! :smalltongue:

For the most part though i enjoyed what That_other_guy wrote (as much as you can enjoy propaganda against your own forces i suppose.) Pretty amusing.

Sanzh
2009-11-16, 06:17 PM
The Vasati are not entirely amused that their supposed trading partner is confusing the Vasati for an enemy.

Smight
2009-11-17, 01:05 AM
Yes it was mistake, it is supposed to be Nyx, I want even know about Vasati for several months, corrected it now.

Astrella
2009-11-17, 05:25 AM
For the most part though i enjoyed what That_other_guy wrote (as much as you can enjoy propaganda against your own forces i suppose.) Pretty amusing.

Oddly enough, I did as well. :smalltongue:

Edit: Makes me wonder how the federation managed to construct their own Nyxian voice records.

Astrella
2009-11-22, 04:17 PM
---Astral Date 2401.4---

Advancements in the field of propulsion technology continue. Consul Davian has baptised the first scoutship to be equipped with these advanced engines.
The ship has been dubbed the "HMS Bavarian".

---Astral Date 2401.5---

We have entered into a trade alliance with the Xurians, offering them alchohol to fuel their energy cells. Scouts have also reported the discovery of a system containing several habitable planets.

---Astral Date 2401.6---

The Xurians have agreed to our trade proposal with much enthousiasm.

---Astral Date 2401.7---

ERROR! DATA FILE CORRUPTED! PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL TECH ADVISOR!

---Astral Date 2401.8---

The first outersystem Nyxian colony is a fact.

---Astral Date 2401.9---

We have entered negotiations with the Eee Federation, a race that communicates using flashes of light. After receiving the communication uplink
from our Xurian allies, our scientist had little trouble interpreting this form of communication. We are currently debating an exchange of colonizations tech as well as sharing of colonized systems. This to maximize planetary usage.

---Astral Date 2402.0---

ERROR! DATA FILE CORRUPTED! PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL TECH ADVISOR!

---Astral Date 2402.1---

Negotiations are progressing smoothly. The Xurians have spoken out their interest in the exchange as well.

---Astral Date 2402.2---

The deal has been sealed. Consul Davian has ordered several planned colony ships to be retrofitted in order to make use of the newly gained technology.

---Astral Date 2402.3---

An encounter of grave importance has occured. Upon entering a new system (dubbed kartogia by our stellar carthographers), the HMS Bavarian detected
an alien vessel. The captain send out a standard greeting message as received the following reply:"This system now belongs to the glorious Terran Federation. Leave now or be destroyed as the vile vermin that you are."
This species threatened to take the lives of brave men and women in service of the Nyxian Senate in a strictly neutral system. This will not be tolerated.

The Nyxian Senate has already informed our esteemed allies of this potentially very dangerous threat.