PDA

View Full Version : Succubus Base Class [3.5]

Xefas
2009-09-29, 06:48 PM
One of my players has been interested in playing a Succubus for a while now, and I'm not a fan of the Savage Progressions method of doing things, so I put together this 20 level base class to obtain the 'feel' of playing a Succubus (and not necessarily replicating the Monster Manual version of the creature).

She's playing a level 2 character using this class in a campaign of mine at the moment, and it seems to be going pretty well. She's contributing well without being overshadowed or overshadowing anyone else. That said, I'd still like to turn this over to the playground to see what their thoughts are on the balance of it (perhaps what tier it might fall into?). I admit its not the greatest work I've ever done (I could probably have just made it a modification to the Warlock class), but she specifically wanted me to keep things simple, so there you go.

If it matters, the current party is her, a Generalist Dwarven Wizard, Kobold Druid that gave up his Animal Companion class feature, and a Hellbred Warlock with a 1 invocation per level houserule of mine (to make the class a little bit stronger).

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad91/bluejanus/excerpt_4EMM_succubus.jpg

Hit Die: d8
Skill Points: 6 + intelligence modifier (x4 at 1st level)
Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (The Planes), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Spot, Tumble, Use Magic Device, Use Rope

Starting Gold: As Rogue

Succubus
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Racial Class, Otherworldly Grace, Voice of Corruption, Absorb Soul 1d6, Shapeshifter (Human)

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|DR 1/Cold Iron, Abyssal Magic I

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+3|Absorb Soul 2d6, Shapeshifter (Humanoid)

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|DR 2/Cold Iron, Fire Resistance 5, Abyssal Magic II

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Absorb Soul 3d6, Shapeshifter (Enhancement)

6th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|DR 3/Cold Iron, Flight, Shapeshifter (Alignment)

7th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|Absorb Soul 4d6, Abyssal Magic III

8th|
+4|
+2|
+6|
+6|DR 4/Cold Iron, Fire Resistance 10, Abyssal Magic IV

9th|
+4|
+3|
+6|
+6|Absorb Soul 5d6, Shapeshifter (Beauty and Horror)

10th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|DR 5/Cold Iron, Immunity to Poison, Abyssal Magic V

11th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|Absorb Soul 6d6, Shapeshifter (Greater Enhancement)

12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+8|
+8|DR 6/Cold Iron, Fire Resistance 15, Abyssal Magic VI

13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+8|
+8|Absorb Soul 7d6, Shapeshifter (Polymorph)

14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+9|
+9|DR 7/Cold Iron, Abyssal Magic VII

15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+9|
+9|Absorb Soul 8d6, Abyssal Magic VIII

16th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+10|
+10|DR 8/Cold Iron, Fire Immunity, Abyssal Magic IX

17th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+10|
+10|Absorb Soul 9d6, Abyssal Magic X

18th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|DR 9/Cold Iron, Abyssal Magic XI

19th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Absorb Soul 10d6, Abyssal Magic XII

20th|
+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|DR 10/Cold Iron, Abyssal Magic XIII[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Succubi are proficient with all simple weapons as well as the Whip and Scourge, but are not proficient with any kinds of armor.

Racial Class: Characters that take this class do not choose a race. This class may only be taken at first level. The racial traits of someone taking this class are:

Outsider [Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar]
Medium Size
Speed 30 feet
Darkvision 60ft
+2 Charisma
+2 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks

Otherworldly Grace (Su): A 1st level Succubi adds their Charisma modifier as a Profane bonus to their armor class whenever they are not wearing armor.

Voice of Corruption (Su): Succubi can speak and understand the language of any intelligent creature, and have Telepathy out to 10 feet per class level.

In addition, they gain a +1 Profane bonus at every odd level on all Bluff and Diplomacy checks made against creatures who are neither hostile, nor currently being threatened. The Succubus must be in a form the creature who the skill check is being used on finds sexually desirable. This is considered a [Compulsion] effect.

Absorb Soul (Su): Succubi may make a touch attack that deals 1d6 points of damage at 1st level, and an additional 1d6 for each odd level after that, to a living creature with a soul (this excludes the majority of undead, constructs, and creatures without intelligence scores). This ability can be considered the equivalent of a touch-range spell of up to 1/2 the Succubus' level (max 10), at the Succubus' choice.

If a creature is killed by this ability, the Succubus has devoured its soul, and it cannot be returned to life except by a Resurrection, True Resurrection, Limited Wish, Wish, or Miracle effect. The Succubus also gains a +2 Profane bonus to Charisma and temporary hit points equal to their Charisma modifier (this includes the +2 Profane Bonus to Charisma granted by this ability). These bonuses last for 1 hour.

Demonic Form (Su): In their natural form, a Succubus has a pair of small wings that are not strong enough to fly at 1st level, as well as unnatural toughness, and other demonic traits that have not surfaced yet. The following abilities are only active in the Succubus' natural form.

At 2nd level, the Succubus gains Damage Reduction 1/Cold Iron or Good, which increases by 1 at every even level afterward.

At 4th level, the Succubus gains Fire Resistance 5, which increases to 10 at level 8, 15 at level 12, and immunity to fire at level 16.

At 6th level, a Succubus' wings are strong enough to fly, giving them a Fly speed of 60 feet with Good maneuverability.

At 10th level, the Succubus becomes immune to poison.

Shapeshifter (Su): At 1st level, a Succubus can alter their appearance to look like anything within normal human proportions and properties, as long as they remain Medium sized. A Succubus who has used their Shapeshifter ability is considered of the Humanoid type in addition to being an Outsider.

They may also change the appearance and composition of their clothing (but not armor) when they change shape, as long as its properties are within normal tactile limits (you can make a brown burlap sack into a silken gown, but not a silken gown into an invisible stealth suit).

At 3rd level, a Succubus can now take the form of any small or medium creature of the Humanoid type of up to 5 hit dice. They may also alter any form they take to be larger or smaller by 1 Size Category (larger creatures get +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, and smaller creatures get +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength). While in another form, you retain all your normal statistics, but gain the new form's Natural Armor Bonus, Natural Weapons, Mundane Movement Capabilities, Racial Skill Bonuses, Racial Bonus Feats, and the Scent special quality if the new form would have it.

In addition, at this point, they may take humanoid forms with unnaturally colored hair, eyes, and skin, as well as replicate the effects of mundane cosmetics.

At 5th level, when a Succubus changes forms, they can slightly alter the new form's physiology. They choose one of the following:

1) +2 bonus to a physical ability score
2) The new form is not required to breathe
3) The new form retains one of the abilities granted by the Succubus' Demonic Form
4) The new form has a natural weapon of the Succubus' choice that has reach appropriate to its size, and deals 1d4 for a tiny creature, 1d6 for small, 1d8 for medium, and 1d10 for large
5) The new form is immune to fatigue and exhaustion

At 6th level, the Succubus can obscure their alignment while shapeshifted. Whenever a spell that attempts to detect alignment affects a Succubus, the Succubus becomes aware of the attempt and may choose what information the spell detects.

At 9th level, once per day, a Succubus can enter a Form of Exquisite Beauty or Unspeakable Horror. This form lasts for 1 round for each point of the Succubus' charisma modifier. Any creature not averting its gaze (giving the Succubus and all creatures in squares on the opposite side of them total concealment from the creature's attacks) must make a Will save each round or be blinded permanently.

This form is taxing, and after its duration ends, the Succubus is forced back to its natural form and cannot use its Shapeshifter abilities for 1 minute.

At 11th level, a Succubus can assume some or all of the enhancements from their 5th level Shapeshifting ability (including +2 to all physical ability scores and retaining all of the Succubus' Demonic Form). They may change their selection as a free action.

At 13th level, a Succubus can assume forms as if casting the Polymorph spell.

Abyssal Magic (Sp): Succubi have a natural competence with magic due to their demonic nature. Unlike normal spell-like abilities, these are subject to Arcane Spell Failure due to armor, and require verbal and somatic components, as they are fueled by the Succubus' carnal power. The verbal components are seductive movements and body language, and the somatic components are lustful words and noises.

For this reason, the Succubus is allowed a Bluff check to disguise the fact they are casting a spell. Any onlookers are allowed an opposed Sense Motive or Spellcraft check to determine a spell is being cast, with a bonus on the check equal to the effective spell level of the spell-like ability the Succubus is trying to cast.

The DC for the saving throws of a Succubus' spell like abilities are equal to 10 + 1/2 the Succubus' class level (rounded down) + the Succubus' Charisma modifier. All spell-like abilities a Succubus has lose their normal descriptors and gain the [Evil], [Chaotic], [Mind-Affecting], and [Compulsion] descriptors.

Outside of combat, something that can be used per encounter can be used once every five minutes.

At 2nd level, the Succubus can use Command at will.

At 4th level, the Succubus can, once per encounter, choose from one of the following: Charm Person, Distract Assailant (SpC), Silent Image, Ventriloquism

At 7th level, the Succubus can, once per encounter, choose from one of the following: Mirror Image, Magic Circle Against Good, Magic Circle Against Law, Suggestion

At 8th level, the Succubus can use Hold Person at will, but only one person may be effected by the Succubus' Hold Person at a time.

At 10th level, a Succubus' magic is such that it distorts the very animating force of a creature, rather than simply the mind. Their spell-like abilities are no longer [Mind-Affecting] or [Compulsions].

At 12th level, a Succubus can use Commune once per week to speak with their Demon Lord.

At 14th level, a Succubus can, once per encounter, choose from one of the following: Hold Monster, Seeming, Baleful Polymorph, Dominate Person (but only one person may be dominated at a time)

At 15th level, a Succubus may use Detect Thoughts and Telepathic Bond at will, as well as one of Telekinesis, Greater Teleport, or Plane Shift once per encounter.

At 16th level, a Succubus may use Charm Monster and Dimensional Anchor at will

At 17th level, a Succubus may use Greater Teleport at will.

At 18th level, a Succubus may use Gate at will to summon any Demon with a CR of 20 or less, except that the duration the creature serves you is permanent, or until its destruction. Only one creature may be summoned at a time.

At 19th level, a Succubus may, once per day, ask for a Miracle from their Demon Lord (any experience cost must be paid, despite this being a spell-like ability).

At 20th level, a Succubus may use any ability they could've used per encounter, at will. The save DCs are calculated for all of their spell-like abilities as if they were 8th level spells (or their own, if it's higher).

deuxhero
2009-09-29, 07:01 PM
I thought that absorbing a soul at level 1 is a little much, but then I recalled that mechanically (as you put it, not sure the normal rules on such actions) it is nothing more than a well done mutilation of the corpse.

Command and hold person at will are a little silly against solo monsters with poor will as she could keep telling him to stay untill her allys carve him up (though a Sucubus constantly telling a commoner to stay each round is an asumeing image). At worst I wouldn't recomend solo monsters with poor will, as such tactics are worthless otherwise.

Gate at will with infinate duration has really good potential for cheese, regardless of level. Summon a wish giver, wish for +1... charisma, command it to go away, summon a new one and wish for +1 charisma.

Forever Curious
2009-09-29, 09:11 PM
*shrug* latter levels seem like it can get pretty over powered, but I like it overall. It's surely something I'd play.

DragoonWraith
2009-09-29, 09:25 PM
The Succubus also gains a +2 Profane bonus to Charisma and then temporary hit points equal to their Charisma modifier. These bonuses last for 1 hour.
Do the Temporary Hit Points include the new modification to the Charisma modifier? I assume it does, but as far as I know, every ability that changes a stat and then uses that stat to determine something else specifically states that it uses the "(newly improved)" modifier. For instance, the Barbarian's Rage.

arguskos
2009-09-29, 10:29 PM
You know, Xefas, every time I see something of yours, it's lovely. I really love your homebrew. I wish you had a RSS feed. :smallwink:

Navi_halfbeast
2009-09-29, 10:51 PM
I really appreciate everyone's comments since this class was made for me, and any feedback to make it more balanced can only improve it's use in our current campaign. ^^

Rainbownaga
2009-09-30, 01:38 AM
Why fire resistance/immunity? Shouldn't it be electricity; devils are fire immune, tanarii are immune to electric.

The main issues i see is the 'extra character that is better than the fighter and is replaceable at will' power of gate and a little general weirdness regarding your choice of per-encounter spell like abilities.

Also, if you can take the same level 5 ability multiple times, at level 11, does that mean you can have infinite natual weapons?

Generally, though, i like it. Looking forward to seeing the final version so i can poach it as an option in one of my own games :smallsmile:

Omegonthesane
2009-09-30, 02:51 AM
I thought that absorbing a soul at level 1 is a little much, but then I recalled that mechanically (as you put it, not sure the normal rules on such actions) it is nothing more than a well done mutilation of the corpse.
The normal ruling is, Raise Dead doesn't restore lost body parts. So if you've removed something that a person can't live without, such as their heart or head or lungs, they will not regrow that part and will therefore stay dead. If you took the lungs and the DM is evil, they come back to life and immediately die of asphyxiation and get level-drained again to be Resurrected.

Gate at will with infinate duration has really good potential for cheese, regardless of level. Summon a wish giver, wish for +1... charisma, command it to go away, summon a new one and wish for +1 charisma.
This is not only not a very game-breaking use of Gate, but also where DM Fiat should be coming in. Either the whole party should get +5 (the maximum) to every stat from Wishing or no one should get +1 to any stat from Wishing.

Why fire resistance/immunity? Shouldn't it be electricity; devils are fire immune, tanarii are immune to electric.
Point in context, but hellfire is a slightly more common image than hell lightning if I recall right.

The main issues i see is the 'extra character that is better than the fighter and is replaceable at will' power of gate and a little general weirdness regarding your choice of per-encounter spell like abilities.
This is more of a problem with the Fighter than with Gate. As for 'per encounter', you could change the recharge time to 5 rounds that can't be spent in a Time Stop, so any normal encounter is over before you have your SLAs again.

Also, if you can take the same level 5 ability multiple times, at level 11, does that mean you can have infinite natual weapons?
As far as I can see it never actually says you can take the same L5 ability multiple times, only that you can mix and match the various L5 abilities at will.

Xefas
2009-09-30, 11:42 AM
Command and hold person at will are a little silly against solo monsters with poor will as she could keep telling him to stay untill her allys carve him up (though a Sucubus constantly telling a commoner to stay each round is an asumeing image). At worst I wouldn't recomend solo monsters with poor will, as such tactics are worthless otherwise.

I'm thinking of capping the Hold Person to only being able to have one person effected by it at a time. It won't alleviate the solo problem (which I don't see as too big a problem anyway, considering casters of that level are going to have Hold Person available for the occasional solo-low-will-humanoid fight anyway), but it'll keep the Succubus from paralyzing everyone while their teammates hack them to bits.

Except it says that she can only summon Demons, and I'm not aware of any Demons that have the ability to cast Wish.

It's surely something I'd play.
Glad you like it. :smallsmile:

Do the Temporary Hit Points include the new modification to the Charisma modifier?
Yes, I'll clarify that.

You know, Xefas, every time I see something of yours, it's lovely. I really love your homebrew. I wish you had a RSS feed. :smallwink:
Who, me? I must say...I'm very flattered :smallredface:

Well, a few reasons, really. Mechanically, I believe Fire Resistance to be more useful, as I believe fire is the most common element adventurers run into. Other than that, I think its more iconic for a demon to be resistant to fire. This is one of those instances where I divorce the class from the Monster Manual version of the Succubus.

Well, I don't typically balance to the Fighter. A more fair comparison would be a Warblade, or an Ardent or something. And, I realize the encounter powers are weird...I wanted to create some kind of awesome resource system involving absorbing souls and controlling people with lower levels powers to gain access to more powerful abilities...but my player wanted simple. So I did simple. I may make another version later to reflect my original resource idea.

Generally, though, i like it. Looking forward to seeing the final version so i can poach it as an option in one of my own games :smallsmile:

Always a good thing for a homebrewer to hear. :smallsmile:

As far as I can see it never actually says you can take the same L5 ability multiple times, only that you can mix and match the various L5 abilities at will.

This is what I was going for, anyway. Originally, I had a table that had "+2 Strength", "+2 Dexterity", "+2 Constitution", "Retain your Damage Reduction", "Retain your Fire Resistance" and so on and so on. But that seemed like a needlessly long table. So I compacted them into slightly more general selections. Maybe I should redo the table back to being that long to clarify how the Greater Enhancement shapeshifting works...

Baron Corm
2009-09-30, 09:23 PM
Except it says that she can only summon Demons, and I'm not aware of any Demons that have the ability to cast Wish.

There's the glabrezu. I didn't actually know that, but I thought balors could, so I searched the page. Turned out that was pit fiends. But yeah, glabrezus can. Aside from that, having essentially a second level 20 character as a no-cost class feature is overpowered in my book.

Navi_halfbeast
2009-10-01, 02:59 PM
There's the glabrezu. I didn't actually know that, but I thought balors could, so I searched the page. Turned out that was pit fiends. But yeah, glabrezus can. Aside from that, having essentially a second level 20 character as a no-cost class feature is overpowered in my book.

Not quite.

Once per month, a glabrezu can fulfill a wish for a mortal humanoid.
The succubus would be an Outsider, so I'm pretty sure he can't do that.

Baron Corm
2009-10-01, 03:08 PM
Not quite.

Command him to fulfill a wish for your party member or a seduced peasant :P. It's easy enough to say "no" to this kind of abuse, though. I still think the worst part of the ability is being able to gate in a CR 20 creature at no cost. And for that matter, get another one instantly if it's killed.

Sanity
2009-10-01, 03:11 PM
Not quite.

Succubus counts as humanoid when shapechanged, according to the class.

squirr31y
2009-10-05, 08:31 PM
As answer to this, might I suggest that the ability grants the Succubus a bonus feat variant on either Leadership or Dragon Cohort from Draconomicon. Either give the Succubus Leadership with the caveat of all the followers and cohorts being evil/demons(commoner followers be Abyssal petitioners, and the cohort be some kind of demon or fiendish creature), or use Dragon Cohort but instead of getting a dragon as a cohort, get a Demon, and the effective ECL for being a cohort is reduced by 3. Maybe add on the ability that they take no penalty for attracting a replacement cohort if the cohort dies, and they can effectively 'summon' a new cohort once the current one dies? It seems like the most balanced way to give the flavor of the Gate spell while giving a set of guidelines that have been well established for later rulings concerning the ability.