PDA

View Full Version : Level 1 CL boosters? (3.5e)

Tanaric
2009-09-29, 07:42 PM
What methods are there to boost caster level for conjuration/evocation at level 1? Already have the Spellgifted trait and Loredrake (yeah yeah, cheesy, but it's for the Arena - there's so much gouda that you need a noseplug to avoid passing out), but I couldn't find any feats or level 1 budget friendly items to make it go higher than that. Granted, my search wasn't exhaustive, but why tear through book after book when you have access to forums, yes? :smallwink:

As an aside, the fiendish heritage feat isn't what I'm looking for. It needs to apply to general conjuration or evocation, not summoning.

So yeah. Help?

Godskook
2009-09-29, 07:50 PM
What class?

There's a 'sphere' choice for sorcerers, iirc, that'll boost the caster level of spells with a specific descriptor. Other than that, I got nothing. Dragon magazine, I believe.

Tanaric
2009-09-29, 07:52 PM
Sorcerer, hence the Loredrake. I suppose I should have specified, anyhow.

Dragon Magazine is banned in the Arena though, so no go on that.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-29, 07:53 PM
What methods are there to boost caster level for conjuration/evocation at level 1? Already have the Spellgifted trait and Loredrake (yeah yeah, cheesy, but it's for the Arena - there's so much gouda that you need a noseplug to avoid passing out), but I couldn't find any feats or level 1 budget friendly items to make it go higher than that. Granted, my search wasn't exhaustive, but why tear through book after book when you have access to forums, yes? :smallwink:

As an aside, the fiendish heritage feat isn't what I'm looking for. It needs to apply to general conjuration or evocation, not summoning.

So yeah. Help?

Arcanist's Gloves, MiC

Tanaric
2009-09-29, 07:54 PM
Yes, I'm aware of those. Sorcerers don't start with 500 gp, though.

Master_Rahl22
2009-09-29, 09:06 PM
You could afford them after 2 wins. Also, after losing to your Totemist I don't want to ever go up against one of your characters again... :smallsmile:

Tanaric
2009-09-29, 09:34 PM
Well yes, but I'm looking for 5d6 KFB's for my first match, you see. :p

Edit: Is that because of the whole "acid drool" thing? Because I thought I told him to keep that in check... Seriously, it's like the poor daft kobold doesn't even realize what a social no no that is. :smalltongue:

Eldariel
2009-09-30, 05:26 AM
Feats. Specifically Spell Thematics [Faerun Something], reserve feats [CM] & few others grant caster level buffs.

Cyclocone
2009-09-30, 06:48 AM
Yes, I'm aware of those. Sorcerers don't start with 500 gp, though.

Mercantile Background?

Also, Primitive Caster (from It's-Cold-Outside) grants an easy +1 if you have spells without material components.

PhoenixRivers
2009-09-30, 06:54 AM
Specialty sub-areas can be boosted, especially fire.

There's a residual feat that boosts fire spell Caster level.
I believe there's a regional from Faerun Campaign setting, as well.

daggaz
2009-09-30, 08:41 AM
Theres fiery burst and fire blooded, from I believe Complete Mage and Players Guide to Faerun, respectively. Fiery burst you need to be able to cast 2nd lvl spells, not sure if precocious apprentice slot technically counts for that prereq. It lets you do a 5ft radius fiery burst of 1d6 damage per level of the highest level fire spell you have, at will as a standard action so long as you have such a spell prepared, from the whopping range of I think 25 ft. Easy reflex saves. But we dont care about that do we? It also gives a +1CL to fire type spells, at all times.

Fire Blooded you need to be human or planetouched from calimsham, its first level only. It gives +2CL to fire type spells and I think a +4 save bonus versus the same.

Funny, I was playing around with the same thing... decided to go with something a bit different, if just for the hell of it. You can see later. :smallwink:

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-30, 09:03 AM
Theres fiery burst and fire blooded, from I believe Complete Mage and Players Guide to Faerun, respectively. Fiery burst you need to be able to cast 2nd lvl spells, not sure if precocious apprentice slot technically counts for that prereq. It lets you do a 5ft radius fiery burst of 1d6 damage per level of the highest level fire spell you have, at will as a standard action so long as you have such a spell prepared, from the whopping range of I think 25 ft. Easy reflex saves. But we dont care about that do we? It also gives a +1CL to fire type spells, at all times.

Fire Blooded you need to be human or planetouched from calimsham, its first level only. It gives +2CL to fire type spells and I think a +4 save bonus versus the same.

Funny, I was playing around with the same thing... decided to go with something a bit different, if just for the hell of it. You can see later. :smallwink:

Well its actually Blood line of fire. I don't think he can get firey burst at first level.

Though if forgotten realms matierial is allowed.

a human with Bloodline of fire and calmishan elementalist has a +3 caster level with fire spells.
I can't remember if calmishan elementalist is only for a select group of fire spells or not..

I just remember doing burning hands at 1st level for 3d4.

Fishy
2009-09-30, 09:10 AM
Fiery Burst + Bloodline of Fire is possible, and has already been done.

I think it was Precocious Apprentice: Kelgore's Fire Bolt but there's also Improved Sigil: Krau to make Burning Hands a 2nd level spell.

Tanaric
2009-09-30, 12:03 PM
In order:

Mercantile Background?

Banned in the Arena for good reason.

Also, Primitive Caster (from It's-Cold-Outside) grants an easy +1 if you have spells without material components.

Kelgore's Fire Bolt already has V,S,M, unfortunately.

There's a residual feat that boosts fire spell Caster level.

Requires 2nd level fire spells, which a 3rd (effectively) level sorcerer can't cast. Not willing to devote two feats (PA, Fiery Burst) to +1 CL, either. Not worth losing my Rageclaws and something else.

Dragonwrought Kobold with the Loredrake mantle for 2 more effective sorcerer levels, so no dice on that.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-30, 01:14 PM
In order:

Banned in the Arena for good reason.

Kelgore's Fire Bolt already has V,S,M, unfortunately.

Requires 2nd level fire spells, which a 3rd (effectively) level sorcerer can't cast. Not willing to devote two feats (PA, Fiery Burst) to +1 CL, either. Not worth losing my Rageclaws and something else.

Dragonwrought Kobold with the Loredrake mantle for 2 more effective sorcerer levels, so no dice on that.

Wait ur saying that mercentile background is band yet loredrake kobold cheese isn't?

Tanaric
2009-09-30, 01:31 PM
Loredrake at level 1 is hardly the cheese it is at higher levels. You get a couple extra spells known and a bump in caster levels, but the 22 strength water orc whirling frenzy barbarians can still beat your face in with ease.

So yes, I am. :smallwink:

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-30, 01:35 PM
Loredrake at level 1 is hardly the cheese it is at higher levels. You get a couple extra spells known and a bump in caster levels, but the 22 strength water orc whirling frenzy barbarians can still beat your face in with ease.

So yes, I am. :smallwink:

I don't know lore drake that well but Doesn't it net you 2 sorc levels?

and realy at that low level it should pritty much be based around inititative... if you go first you should win if they go first they win.

quick_comment
2009-09-30, 01:47 PM
Suffer the Flesh from Magic of Eberron. Up to +5 CL for 2 con damage per caster level. Swift action casting, lasts 1 round.

Tanaric
2009-09-30, 01:48 PM
Effective sorcerer levels for the purpose of casting, yes.

And it's not like gladiators start 20 feet away, pistols at dawn style. There are walls and other obstacles in the way on all but the River Arena, which is famous for one-shot mage deaths.

Edit: Hm. Making me think about using a Strongheart Vest in some fashion to go with that. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Korgg
2009-09-30, 01:57 PM
Elemental spelcasting - from Planar Handbook = +1 caster level for chosen element

Spell Thematics - Player's Guide to Faerun = +1 caster level for chosen spell per spell level

daggaz
2009-09-30, 01:58 PM
Heh yeah, thats why Im making a mage with a sick initiative boost and the ability to actually survive past 2nd round. Should be fun.. =)

Hmm... forgot you were kobold. Yeah, you are pretty much screwed on getting any more CL boosts, but ..meh. Its really a waste of feats, as it only takes two kills to buy the arcanist gloves, which basically saves you a feat. Four kills and you level, so you only need a single CL boost to max out by then.

Kelgores bolt is a tad OP at low levels, me thinks..

EDIT. scratch that... musta missed those feats somehow. Pesky ninjas :smallwink:

Tanaric
2009-09-30, 02:00 PM
Elemental spelcasting - from Planar Handbook = +1 caster level for chosen element

Spell Thematics - Player's Guide to Faerun = +1 caster level for chosen spell per spell level

Now that's what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Hmm... forgot you were kobold. Yeah, you are pretty much screwed on getting any more CL boosts, but ..meh. Its really a waste of feats, as it only takes two kills to buy the arcanist gloves, which basically saves you a feat. Four kills and you level, so you only need a single CL boost to max out by then.

What do you mean "By then?" I only need a single CL boost to max out at 5d6 as is. :smallwink:

Optimystik
2009-09-30, 02:04 PM
Now that's what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

14 posts ago?

Tanaric
2009-09-30, 02:07 PM
I... must have missed that. Huh.

I blame my nonexistent cataracts.

sofawall
2009-09-30, 03:01 PM
I've noticed nobody seems to actually read on these forums, just post.

Oh well.

PhoenixRivers
2009-09-30, 06:06 PM
With Loredrake, you could do Bloodline of Fire and the Spellgifted trait, and get CL5 without Fiery Burst.

Tanaric
2009-09-30, 06:20 PM
I already have CL5 with Loredrake, Spell Thematics and Spellgifted. I only need the boost to fire for one spell, so Spell Thematics is more useful to me. Plus, fireballs that appear in a burst of snowflakes are way too much fun to pass up. :smallwink:

Faleldir
2009-09-30, 08:53 PM
Have you considered Snowcasting cheese? You get your fresh snow from the same place you get your live spiders.