PDA

View Full Version : Odd request - exotifying bears

sonofzeal
2009-09-29, 08:04 PM
As per my "optimizing weakness" thread, I'm building a Sorcerer that tries to avoid Core material as much as possible. It's going pretty well so far, using a strong Fey theme, PrC'd out into Sentinal of Bharrai for the nature-ness, don't plan on using the various Core SLA's from it. Thing is, my guy's now got the ability to walk around in the body of a bear, which is too awesome to pass up, but still rather... Core.

The "optimal" choice here is probably Polar Bear, but I'm leaning towards Black Bear just to reduce cheese (and stay Medium). Still, I feel like I need to do something to make it more exotic. I'm not worried about power here, it doesn't have to be something that makes it more effective (actually, I'd rather it didn't), just stranger.

For the rules-lawyers out there, the Bear Shape ability lists "black bear, brown bear, or polar bear" by name, which may or may not allow for templates that change type. It functions as an at-will Polymorph (not Wildshape), with the normal HD limit caveat, and speech is maintained.

Summary - I need a way to make a Black Bear more exotic and non-Core, without significantly boosting its power. Flavourwise, a connection to Fey, Nature, Illusions, and Fear effects would be ideal but not strictly necessary.

Forever Curious
2009-09-29, 08:07 PM
Black Bear with the Pseudo-dimensional template (Complete Arcane). No HD adjustment or LA, just creepy as hell.

Jalor
2009-09-29, 08:10 PM
Polymorph does not allow templates. Otherwise nothing would stop you from Altering Self into a Pseudonatural Monster of Legend Paragon Whatever.

DragoonWraith
2009-09-29, 08:11 PM
Pseudonatural (not Pseudodimensional) clashes pretty horribly with the nature and fey theme - since it's essentially specifically unnatural.

Forever Curious
2009-09-29, 08:13 PM
*shrug* just an example. I'm not 100% familiar with the rules for polymorph, so I apologize. But it IS exotic, and not core, which is what he was going for.

sonofzeal
2009-09-29, 08:13 PM
Black Bear with the Pseudo-dimensional template (Complete Arcane). No HD adjustment or LA, just creepy as hell.
Ooo.... I don't think I can exactly justify the flavour, but that's right along the idea I'm looking for!

On the other hand, there's no LA because it's not supposed to be playable. It does boost CR, and gives SR, which makes it kind of unsuitable. I'll check out more LA+0 templates though!

sonofzeal
2009-09-29, 08:23 PM
Chameleon (Und p83) seems plausible, and rather awesome.

Half-Satyr (DR313 p96) nails the Fey theme and is underwhelming enough to be justified.

Topiary Guardian (MM3 p175) is wicked awesome, but I'll have to look into it a bit more to make sure it's not too useful.

Thoughts?

woodenbandman
2009-09-29, 09:25 PM
Polymorph does not allow templates. Otherwise nothing would stop you from Altering Self into a Pseudonatural Monster of Legend Paragon Whatever.

Wow dude read your own thread.

If you can get your DM to okay that though, I say the Woodling template. Gives you natural armor and some SLAs, and you gain a lot of plant traits.

sonofzeal
2009-09-29, 09:27 PM
(apologies for triple post ninja'd!)

Well, nothing except DM smitage. Where's that rule, if I might ask?

Hmm, if templates are out, are there any other good options? Another equivalent base creature that could be houseruled in (perhaps "anthropomorphic bear"), or some other method of twisting it? I'm not all that worried about strict RAW, but remember that part of the goal is to tone it down a little bit too.

hamishspence
2009-09-30, 01:02 PM
Maybe Dire Polar Bears could be allowed (Frostburn).