PDA

View Full Version : Bear Warrior and Polymorph

Delandel
2009-09-29, 09:45 PM
I'm making a level 8 bear warrior, a PrC from Complete Warrior. When raging, a bear warrior can turn into a bear as the polymorph spell, except he retains all his ability scores and gets a flat bonus to his STR/CON in that form.

Now I'm having trouble picking items for this character because I'm not quite sure what can be used in his bear form. From what I understand of polymorph (aka alter self), you can wear anything that "fits" the new form, and anything that doesn't will be absorbed into the body and be nonfunctional. But what exactly "fits" a dude who just turned into a black bear? Obviously the weapon would be gone, but what about magical items like a belt of battle, or armor? Would they be gone too because they're not compatible with the bear's larger form? PHB errata for wildshape makes it simple by saying EVERYTHING becomes nonfunctional, but seems still unclear about bear warrior.

If all my equipment goes bye-bye, what should I spend my standard wealth on?

Very confused. :smallfrown:

sonofzeal
2009-09-29, 09:58 PM
This lovely fellow (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/boed_gallery/75056.jpg) is currently (as far as I can tell, given the PrC he's in reference to) polymorphed into a Bear, and seems to be doing just fine.

Starbuck_II
2009-09-29, 09:58 PM
I'm making a level 8 bear warrior, a PrC from Complete Warrior. When raging, a bear warrior can turn into a bear as the polymorph spell, except he retains all his ability scores and gets a flat bonus to his STR/CON in that form.

Now I'm having trouble picking items for this character because I'm not quite sure what can be used in his bear form. From what I understand of polymorph (aka alter self), you can wear anything that "fits" the new form, and anything that doesn't will be absorbed into the body and be nonfunctional. But what exactly "fits" a dude who just turned into a black bear? Obviously the weapon would be gone, but what about magical items like a belt of battle, or armor? Would they be gone too because they're not compatible with the bear's larger form? PHB errata for wildshape makes it simple by saying EVERYTHING becomes nonfunctional, but seems still unclear about bear warrior.

If all my equipment goes bye-bye, what should I spend my standard wealth on?

Very confused. :smallfrown:

Wilding Clasp lets you change form and item Clasp attached never becomes non-functional.

sonofzeal
2009-09-29, 09:59 PM
Wilding Clasp lets you change form and item Clasp attached never becomes non-functional.

"as long as the item could reasonably be worn by the new form"

Also, it's specific to Wildshape, doesn't work with any other form of shape changing.

deuxhero
2009-09-29, 10:20 PM
If you aren't intrested in wikding clasps, Mask of The Betrayer allows equiping 2 rings and an amulet to a party member that happens to be a Spirit Bear, so the 3 jewelry slots should be allowed at the bare minimum (and for amutlets, there is also the argument of the existances of the Amulet of Natural Attacks).

Glimbur
2009-09-29, 10:27 PM
bear minimum

Fixed that for you.

Get some Wild Armor, or other armors specially made for Druids to buff your AC. I guess maybe you could re-equip after you change forms, but since it only lasts as long as the rage does that's not really enough time... unless you use a Ring of Arming(name probably wrong, sorry) or some such silliness.

sonofzeal
2009-09-29, 10:31 PM
More photo reference. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/boed_gallery/75099.jpg)

Even more. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/boed_gallery/75087.jpg)

tyckspoon
2009-09-29, 10:43 PM

Generally you can keep Wondrous Items and magic jewelry; they either magically resize or are generously fitted enough that you can wear them even if you get bigger (your cloak may look weird and small on the back of a bear, but it'll fit well enough to work.) So most of your wealth should go to that; focus on your stat boosters and utility and mobility items instead of your weapon and armor. Maybe grab an Amulet of Mighty Fists (Necklace of Natural Weapons/Attacks is preferred if available.)

sonofzeal
2009-09-29, 10:51 PM
Only thing I'd say is a definite nix is boots/gloves. Everything else is justifiable, though you may want to voluntarily pay "barding" costs on any armor you choose to wear.

Gametime
2009-09-29, 11:13 PM
More photo reference. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/boed_gallery/75099.jpg)

Even more. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/boed_gallery/75087.jpg)

At least one of the pictures you've linked is actually an outsider resembling an anthropomorphic bear, not a person shapeshifted into a bear.

The PrC picture is a bit fuzzier (hah!), but very obviously ISN'T a bear along the lines of what the class actually allows you to DO. I always assumed it was some outsider I didn't recognize.

Delandel
2009-09-29, 11:21 PM
Hm, okay. So wondrous items might be okay, but just nothing that clearly won't fit (humanoid gloves on a bear's paw). I hope that's fine.

Thanks for the help! I'll look into those items.

sonofzeal
2009-09-29, 11:23 PM
At least one of the pictures you've linked is actually an outsider resembling an anthropomorphic bear, not a person shapeshifted into a bear.
Granted. But it's a bear (looks like an actual bear too on a physical level, not just an anthro one) that's wearing clothes.

The PrC picture is a bit fuzzier (hah!), but very obviously ISN'T a bear along the lines of what the class actually allows you to DO. I always assumed it was some outsider I didn't recognize.
Granted. It's still labelled with a class that involves polymorphing into bears, so YMMV.