PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder gate RAW, am I correct?

BobVosh
2009-09-30, 12:46 AM
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/gate.html#gate-anchor

If you choose to call a kind of creature instead of a known individual, you may call either a single creature or several creatures. In either case, their total HD cannot exceed twice your caster level. In the case of a single creature, you can control it if its HD does not exceed your caster level. A creature with more HD than your caster level can't be controlled.

Does this mean you can pull one creature of equal HD and control them. Then if you want you can pull multiple creatures, but you don't control them. So did they change it so you can't control multiple creatures if all thier HD are less than yours?

I'm a 17th wizard, and want to cast gate for a standard Marilith. 16 HD. So I can easily get 2. However I wouldn't be able to control them?

BobVosh
2009-09-30, 05:35 PM
Am I correct in this is how they changed it? If so it just seems weird you can summon more than you can control.

taltamir
2009-09-30, 05:55 PM
it would generally be stupid to summon more then you can control...
The reasoning is really, that you can summon something twice your level that has innate casting... very broken.

The original spell allowed you to summon something with twice your own CR AND control it. Now you can choose to summon something with same HD as your CL and control it, or twice as much and not control it.

Now, its certainly risky to summon something much more powerful then yourself... but if you, say, summon a powerful demon into a castle and then teleport out, you can cause a lot of damage without completely breaking the game.

Master_Rahl22
2009-09-30, 09:13 PM
Or if you're good, and you're attempting to save the world, you could gate in some very high HD Good Outsiders and not need to control them since they will likely want to help you in your good quest.

taltamir
2009-09-30, 09:19 PM
Or if you're good, and you're attempting to save the world, you could gate in some very high HD Good Outsiders and not need to control them since they will likely want to help you in your good quest.

yet they might do so in ways that do not coincide with your own methods...

And if you are evil... summon demons in an enemy compound, and run away :)

Akal Saris
2009-09-30, 09:35 PM
From a very strict reading, you can't control multiple creatures at all, though the intention was probably for you to summon a pair of mariliths that you can control, instead of Asmodeus, who you can't control.