PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo 2009!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

banjo1985
2009-09-30, 04:04 AM
So, it's come round again. Time to get our imaginations into gear and our typing finger trained...for those of us that have to type with one finger. :smalltongue:

Linky! (http://www.nanowrimo.org/)

For those that don't know what NaNo is, it stands for National Novel Writing Month, and takes place between 1st and 30th November every year. The premise is that on the first of November you start to write a 50'000 word novel by the 30th November, so that's about 1700 words a day. The deadline and massive amount you have to write pushes the focus from quality to quantity, and stops you from procrastinating with redeitting chapters and stuff like that. A lot of people don't have the drive to get something as major as a novel started, and this is supposed to get you writing and writing consistently, which can only be a good thing. If you want a bit more information about what it's all about, just have a glance at the above link.

Who else is going to be participating this year? Anyone have any ideas of what they're going to do? This is the first year I'm planning to actually participate, so I'm not really sure how much preperation I should be doing, but I'm looking forward to it already. I believe last year people paired up to see who wrote the most as a kind of friendly rivalry to spur each other on. Maybe we could do the same this year?

EDIT - Link to the GitPsers NaNoWriMo Group (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3264235)

V: Thanks, caught it now. :smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2009-09-30, 04:12 AM
I know Alarra (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/409836) plans on doing it again this year. It'll be something like her 5th year, I think. As for how much prep, it really seems to vary from person to person. Using Alarra's writing group and last year's local participants as an example, the amount of preparation ranged from "I've been planning for this year since December of last year," to "Crap, it starts next week and I still haven't named my main character or picked a genre." :smallcool:

After seeing the boost it gave her last year, I would emphatically recommend finding and meeting with other locals who are also participating and doing things like write-ins and progress updates with them. It really helped to keep her focused on what she needed to be doing. And in general it can be helpful to have others you can bounce ideas off of. Not to mention that you'll meet interesting new people who have at least one hobby in common with you. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Pssst, banjo, you're supposed to have the M capitalized too...

Megatron46
2009-09-30, 04:44 AM
I have never heard of this before, I am intrigued! I may well give it a go...although I have no idea of what to write...well, that's not quite true I have some ideas, but they're all a bit naff!

The Rose Dragon
2009-09-30, 04:49 AM
The problem is, one month is barely enough to do the research required to write a novel. Actually writing 1700 words every day is going to be impossible, especially with the college and the work and other crap.

Why not do it three months, 150000 words and in the summer?

Zeb The Troll
2009-09-30, 04:54 AM
Most of those Alarra interacted with locally had done (or had attempted to do) the research beforehand. NaNo is about the actual writing.

One participant at the kick off party last year, when queried why she was doing it, said that she was using it as a means to actually get her book written. She'd been researching it for years but kept getting caught up in doing more research. She was using NaNo to make herself actually do the writing. This is perfectly acceptable.

potatocubed
2009-09-30, 05:03 AM
See current sig. :smalltongue:

This'll be year six for me. I have a rough idea of what's going to happen - steampunk, necromancy, gods, demigods, sorcerers, nuns, mutants, intrigue, angels, all that good stuff - but I'm not sure exactly how it's all going to come together.

I think one of the best motivators to keep writing is to have an audience. Whether it's other people at your local Nano group, or friends, or folks on the internet, having people waiting for the next installment is a great drive to actually write the next installment.

banjo1985
2009-09-30, 05:09 AM
Definitely, an audience that likes the stuff you're doing is a great thing to encourage you to write more. I wonder if there are any Birmingham NaNo groups I can insinuate myself into...

As for planning, I'm going to give myself a week to throw a plan together and write pretty much blind, and see what roses I can dig out from the manure afterwards. :smallamused: I'm already not expecting to manage 50'000 words, but I'll give it a go, even if I only manage 20k it'll be the longest things I've ever had the willpower to put together.

I think that for anyone who's always thought about writing a novel, but has never started it for whatever reason, this is an ideal way to force yourself into action.

Zeb The Troll
2009-09-30, 05:15 AM
Definitely, an audience that likes the stuff you're doing is a great thing to encourage you to write more. I wonder if there are any Birmingham NaNo groups I can insinuate myself into...

As for planning, I'm going to give myself a week to throw a plan together and write pretty much blind, and see what roses I can dig out from the manure afterwards. :smallamused: I'm already not expecting to manage 50'000 words, but I'll give it a go, even if I only manage 20k it'll be the longest things I've ever had the willpower to put together.

I think that for anyone who's always thought about writing a novel, but has never started it for whatever reason, this is an ideal way to force yourself into action.Fixed it for you. :smallamused: As you stated in your first post, it's about numbers. Don't worry about it being good. Put down the eraser, remove your Backspace key. Edit in December. :smallcool:

The Rose Dragon
2009-09-30, 05:22 AM
Another reason why I can never make it past November: I'm a perfectionist. I keep editing, re-editing, re-re-editing, deleting entirely and starting again and then editing once more. The backspace key is probably the most commonly used key on my keyboard after the space key.

Anyway, good luck to everyone else. I'll be at the corner, crying at my lack of talent and ability to let go.

Mercenary Pen
2009-09-30, 05:32 AM
I'm trying to decide whether to do it or not. This would be my first year, and I do have a couple of weeks off at the end of November, so maybe it's worth trying.

I also have a fairly concrete idea at the moment, which is a bit of a novelty for me.

Quincunx
2009-09-30, 05:41 AM
This month would be improved if all the pre-NaNoWriMo psych talk word counts were deducted from your total. That would discourage premature procrastination.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-09-30, 07:34 AM
I'm gonna pretend to do NaNoWriMo, but actually just write a series of short sci-fi stories.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-30, 07:40 AM
I'm gonna try!

Also I'm gonna look if there are any groups/nanowrimo meets around here.

Raz_Fox
2009-09-30, 07:42 AM
Since I'm an aspiring writer, I've decided that I'm going to be trying NaNoWriMo this year. It'll be tough to cram into my schedule, but it'll be worth it. As potatocubed said, I've already got the rough idea and will be refining it as I go.

Of course, I'm also entering a writing contest in October, just because I'm a glutton for punishment writing. :smallamused:

Mercenary Pen
2009-09-30, 07:42 AM
I'm gonna pretend to do NaNoWriMo, but actually just write a series of short sci-fi stories.

Well, I'm likely to be starting some near-future (or at least 2060s) mecha epic with mine (unless the intervening month gives me a better idea).

SensFan
2009-09-30, 07:47 AM
I'll be doing it this year, first year doing it.

To respond to whoever was talking about research, the 'rule' for NaNo about preparation you can do is simply "No written prose before Nov 1st." Leaves tons of room for outlines and research to be done :P

GallóglachMaxim
2009-09-30, 07:49 AM
I did it a few years ago and made it to ~15,000 words, stupid exams. I might (emphasis 'might') try again this year, but it remains to be seen how well that'll go, since I've got a number of essays that I'll be writing for the first week or so of November. Maybe borrow from one of the other posters here and write a series of connected short stories, so at least I can have a little narrative closure, and not end up rambling like I did last time.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-09-30, 07:52 AM
Oooh, I can do most of my writing during math and science class!

The Neoclassic
2009-09-30, 08:30 AM
I should do it this year. I tried last year, but only hit about 20,000 words. Still, much more than I'd ever gotten done before! I should start brainstorming an idea now though; a plot and such would help...

Dragonrider
2009-09-30, 09:17 AM
Last year I "won" in the first four days, but it was the worst novel I've ever written. :smallbiggrin: So I dunno about this year...right this minute it seems like a good idea, but November is a big month for school and I probably can't add all my essays that will be coming in (including one big research paper) to my word count... XD

That said, this is me (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/412011).

Syka
2009-09-30, 09:57 AM
I'm going to do it but I doubt I'll win. I'm probably going to set a goal for myself, which is also an acceptable NaNo thing if I'm not mistaken. It'll be my third year- I won the first two, but lost last year because of some personal issues that manifested the last week or so that completely killed my wanting to write anything at all for a few weeks. I made it to 37k, though. :)

What I'm contending with this year: full time graduate student, at least 2 projects due in November (my goal is to complete one of them before November, though), probably multiple quizzes/tests, make that 3 projects due in November, I think, as well as working 20 hours a week AND at least one weekend of film events I need to attend (literally, it's a weekend long), plus Thanksgiving, AND needing to not neglect the boyfriend.

Thankfully, Oz is also planning on participating this year after two years of being very wary of it. So at least he'll be doing it. All he has is a part time job (that gives him maybe 10 hours a week) and random film stuff...so I KNOW he can do it. :smallwink:

Urgh...if I make it this year it'll prove I can do it as long as my emotions are not messed with. :smallsmile:

Joran
2009-09-30, 09:59 AM
Fourth year in a row I'll promise I'll get it done and not do it. If I truly wanted to write, I'd find time, not excuses.

Anyway, it'll be fun to start thinking of ideas and I have a story concept that's been itching in my head.

Neko Toast
2009-09-30, 10:00 AM
... I feel like participating in this... I know that whenever I write, I'm always so self-critical of how I write it that I end up stopping. Maybe I can get rid of that habit with NaNo.

Trog
2009-09-30, 10:33 AM
Hmm... I think I shall count the second adventure I'm writing as my project for this. Not sure how many words it'll end up as though - likely not 50,000. My last one was 23,000 or so. That'll be good enough for me if I can do it again. Plus I have one more after that which is sure to be longer. So if I spill over into that I'll count that too. Not quite what the contest is about but it's as close as I'll come to it I think.

Now to get on to doing those last few post-play-testing edits and get that GSL compatibility submission into WotC so I can self-publish the first one before year's end. :smallcool:

EleventhHour
2009-09-30, 10:40 AM
Shipping, watch out. I've got a novel to write, and I'm stealing your names. (And thread space.) :smallamused:

Deathslayer7
2009-09-30, 10:41 AM
I would be very interested in this. But I would need someone to help push me along. That's my biggest problem. I usually start stuff but then they fall apart. So if someone's willing to quite literally poke me, let me know. I could use it.

UserClone
2009-09-30, 10:51 AM
I'm thinking I'll probably put it off until next year. I think I'm pretty well tapped out of ideas for now.

However, I would love to edit someone else's NaNo. Send a PM if you're interested.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-30, 11:35 AM
I would be very interested in this. But I would need someone to help push me along. That's my biggest problem. I usually start stuff but then they fall apart. So if someone's willing to quite literally poke me, let me know. I could use it.

I'll need someone to help poke me along too. If you want to set up a sort of mutual-nagging system via PM or such (regular reminders & checking in or whatver), let me know. :smallsmile:

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-30, 11:44 AM
I have some vague ideas that I might be able to smush together into 20,000 or so words. It'll be a load of crap.

Jacklu
2009-09-30, 11:45 AM
Okay... Jacklu is going to actually give this a try this year. My biggest problem in the area of writing is finding the drive to sit down and do it. I have a few ideas I've been kicking around, but zero research. Got a month for that though. =p Well, here's to giving it a shot at least.

Dragonrider
2009-09-30, 11:59 AM
Psh, who needs research? :smallbiggrin:

...that's a total lie. But I'll be doing a massive research paper on Gerald of Wales and I'll probably write something that starts with a poor overworked college student doing that exact same thing. 'twill include magic, however, because I have so far written five and a half novels and proven myself to be incapable of writing anything that is NOT fantasy.

Jacklu
2009-09-30, 12:22 PM
:smalltongue: I hate research. Which is why I generally make up my own universes for stuff to happen in. Granted, some level of fact finding is still needed. I simply can't grasp sizes or distances unless I have a physical object or example in front of me. Which gets hard when trying to figure how big to make a space ship of floating city. That, and the rest of the world seems to use this really bizarre measurement system based off of easily divided units and increments of ten. :smallconfused: Writing in this foreign and entirely illegible measurement system takes time for proper conversions. Especially when everyone seems to prefer that it be used so often. :smallsigh:

Mercenary Pen
2009-09-30, 12:39 PM
:smalltongue: I hate research. Which is why I generally make up my own universes for stuff to happen in. Granted, some level of fact finding is still needed. I simply can't grasp sizes or distances unless I have a physical object or example in front of me. Which gets hard when trying to figure how big to make a space ship of floating city. That, and the rest of the world seems to use this really bizarre measurement system based off of easily divided units and increments of ten. :smallconfused: Writing in this foreign and entirely illegible measurement system takes time for proper conversions. Especially when everyone seems to prefer that it be used so often. :smallsigh:

There are also other measurement systems that can be used once you get into space...

These include light years (and smaller increments such as light days, light minutes and light seconds- but NOT light months), and Astronomical Units (AU) which are approximately 8 light minutes or the distance between the earth and the sun.

I'm certainly going to use AU once or twice...

Pyrian
2009-09-30, 12:42 PM
...and Astronomical Units (AU) which are approximately 8 light minutes or the distance between the earth and the sun.It's like the solar system's gold standard. :smallamused:

Trai
2009-09-30, 12:50 PM
I've known about NaNoWriMo for a while but never tried it. I'm kind of curious to see if I can do it, so maybe? I'd have to do some serious consideration of what I'd write, though. I'll probably try to go for something in a realistic high school setting... (Yes, plain fiction; boring, I know.)

The Neoclassic
2009-09-30, 12:52 PM
I'll probably try to go for something in a realistic high school setting... (Yes, plain fiction; boring, I know.)

Better than my plan! :smallsmile: Because setting a story in one's D&D world is about the lamest thing ever.

Jacklu
2009-09-30, 12:52 PM
There are also other measurement systems that can be used once you get into space...

These include light years (and smaller increments such as light days, light minutes and light seconds- but NOT light months), and Astronomical Units (AU) which are approximately 8 light minutes or the distance between the earth and the sun.

I'm certainly going to use AU once or twice...

In mah space setting (which includes 24 fully developed races, 132 distinct worlds, thousands of cataloged and described non-intelligent species, and several thousands years worth of history for each race... yes, I do a lot of thinking) I went ahead and invented my own measurement system to get away from the trouble I have with real world ones. Also lets me fudge the details when I feel like it. =P I also did it because earth does not exist in this universe and I hate it when an alien race just happens to use miles or kilometers for their measurement system. How lazily convenient for the writer. <.<

But I suppose that is a bit of an unreasonable standard to hold writers to. >.> Grar. Aliens shouldn't have human emotions of think like we do! *flails* T_T And bipedal humanoid base forms are waaaay overused. As are eyes. And mouths. <.< There is a reason I have not written any novels out of this universe yet.

Trai
2009-09-30, 01:12 PM
Better than my plan! :smallsmile: Because setting a story in one's D&D world is about the lamest thing ever.

I'm probably going to be using a set of characters I've used in RPs before, so I'm just as lame! :smallsmile:

If I do decide to do it, I could probably be up for being that nagging partner.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-30, 01:20 PM
I'm probably going to be using a set of characters I've used in RPs before, so I'm just as lame! :smallsmile:

Awesome! Keep me posted; that would be great. :smallcool:

truemane
2009-09-30, 01:33 PM
I'll be doing it again this year. Last year was my first try and I had a great time. I cheated somewhat, though, by having the major touchstones of my novel all laid out in my head and so all I had to do was connect the dots. As such, it was as hard or as challenging as it might otherwise have been.

So this year I'm going in cold. Completely cold. I have no dea what I'm going to write about, no idea hwat genre, plot, style, tone, or anything. I plan on sitting down on November 1st, turning on my laptop, writing Chapter One, and seeing what happens next.

I've never done that before, so it ought to be entertaining.

I think we should definitely start a Gitp WriMo group/Nagging Party as an alternative/addition to the regional groups. Keep us all honest. And I'll go Word War with anybody who wants to come get some.

Ikialev
2009-09-30, 01:58 PM
I will participate, even if I have no theme, or even a loose idea what to do.

Dragonrider
2009-09-30, 02:31 PM
I'll be doing it again this year. Last year was my first try and I had a great time. I cheated somewhat, though, by having the major touchstones of my novel all laid out in my head and so all I had to do was connect the dots. As such, it was as hard or as challenging as it might otherwise have been.

That's not cheating...that's preparation. :smalltongue:

Also, I believe last year Felixaar created us a group/hangout...hold on...

Here it is. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3015114)

truemane
2009-09-30, 02:36 PM
That's not cheating...that's preparation. :smalltongue:[/URL]

Well, it was cheating for me. I already write 3 to 5 times per week for an hour or two hours and rarely write less than 2,000 words per session. That's not bragging. I'm not saying I'm a genius or anything. It's just the result of many long, long years devoted to the craft.

So it wasn't as big a deal for me to produce 50,000 words in a single month. I didn't stretch myself as much as I could have. And since the point of NaNoWriMo is to stretch yourself, I cheated.

:smalltongue:

But only in relation to myself.

This year I'm going at 'er differently. And we'll see what happens.

Helanna
2009-09-30, 02:37 PM
This'll be my third year participating, and my first year of not having ANY idea of what to write, at all, other than the genre (fantasy). I may just not bother laying anything out, and just starting. That'll be new and interesting . . .

I think I posted on that thread . . . like once. Or twice.

Cristo Meyers
2009-09-30, 02:37 PM
All depends on if I'm employed come November or not. The stress of job-hunting and the stress of trying to finish 50K words in a month don't make for good bedfellows.

I'll probably retry last year's objective if I can. Getting 50k words down for Fears would actually put me right about where I was last year...

curtis
2009-09-30, 03:16 PM
This is my second year of participation. I failed last year, and this year I'm writing murder mystery.

And Jacklu: do people tell you that you're awesome? 'Cause they should.

And I'll go Word War with anybody who wants to come get some.

Oh bring it.

And define the parameters of "Word War".

Dragonrider
2009-09-30, 03:58 PM
Well, it was cheating for me. I already write 3 to 5 times per week for an hour or two hours and rarely write less than 2,000 words per session. That's not bragging. I'm not saying I'm a genius or anything. It's just the result of many long, long years devoted to the craft.

So it wasn't as big a deal for me to produce 50,000 words in a single month. I didn't stretch myself as much as I could have. And since the point of NaNoWriMo is to stretch yourself, I cheated.

It's pretty much the same for me. Mine was a stretch, though, because I won in four days. I think I had a 35,000 word day...I honestly don't know how I did it, because I was in school full time and playing sports as well. :smalleek:

My plans are more modest this year. I'm not racing. Which I was - Felixaar and I had a challenge to see who could finish first, but he's in Australia and I'm on the west coast of the United States, so he had a 17-hour head start. We agreed beforehand that we would go by local time, not time relative to each other, but nevertheless I was determined to hit the mark first.

I came out with around 70,000. And the worst novel I had ever written (it was my fourth).

This year I will LEARN from my mistakes. Though I wrote 50,000 words in May and another 50,000 in August (the latter was accomplished in roughly two weeks), I'm nervous about this because I'm in college now and the stakes are waaaaay higher. And even though I'm still stalled out on the August project, I'm going to start something new.

Because I'm cool like that. :smallwink:

Pyrian
2009-09-30, 04:01 PM
At some point you will need to concentrate less on starting and more on finishing. :smallcool:

Dogmantra
2009-09-30, 04:11 PM
I've wanted to do it since I found out about it, which was conviniently December 2008.

I will be writing a book about nothing happening. I think. I have a title: A Book in Which A Series of Seemingly Unconnected and Uninteresting Things Happen and there is a Vague Sense of Inconclusiveness at the End

Pretty much sums up everything I've ever written, so it's okay!

Dragonrider
2009-09-30, 04:12 PM
At some point you will need to concentrate less on starting and more on finishing. :smallcool:

I've finished all of them except the August one. And the reason I haven't is because I'm unsure about whether or not it's worth it.

Pyrian
2009-09-30, 04:40 PM
It's not finished until you're done editing and I can read it! :smalltongue:

Vmag
2009-09-30, 04:46 PM
You know, I like the idea of a month of zero-prep writing. If I were to participate, heck, forget planning plots and naming characters: Day One is Day One, and that'd be one heck of a ride.

I can't help but imagine the market saturation that would result when thousands of novels finished at once. Quick rush-job novels, too.

Dragonrider
2009-09-30, 04:47 PM
It's not finished until you're done editing and I can read it! :smalltongue:

My dear Pyrian, editing is NEVER done. But everything I've written has been read and edited by at least two other people, so in that sense they're 'done'. I just don't currently have the time to devote to attempting to get published (which is in itself kind of a full-time job!)

Alteran
2009-09-30, 04:50 PM
I'm interested in trying NaNo this year, but I'm also very intimidated by it. So far, the longest story I've ever written is something like 3000 words. I'm not sure if I could manage 1700 words a day for an entire month, especially if it's all for the same thing. I'd need a story that I really like, one I can write a lot for. Oh, and that leads to my next concern. I also have no idea what my novel would be about. :smallsigh:

Dragonrider
2009-09-30, 04:54 PM
Just write stuff. It could be total crap. Mine was. :smalltongue:

Edit: I'm in the middle of outlining a story right now. I'm basically drawing elements from a bunch of the books I adored when I was a child, because I'm going to write it for my 12-year-old brother because he LOVES to read and is always looking for new books.

Everyone at once: "awwwww."

Destro_Yersul
2009-09-30, 04:59 PM
My writer standards do not allow me to produce crap without hating myself. I may try this year, as what with my job as a Security Guard I end up with lots of free time to think, but I don't hold any illusions about finishing. The desire to write comes and goes and is never there when I want it.

EDIT: d'awwwww

Close enough, DeeRee? :smalltongue:

SilveryCord
2009-09-30, 05:00 PM
I did it for the first time last year and I'm planning to do it again... last year was a strange psychic alien computer morality tale, this year is about an alien who has to book shows at clubs across the world as a singer to travel and escape the CIA who is close on her tail.

cycoris
2009-09-30, 05:02 PM
Just write stuff. It could be total crap. Mine was. :smalltongue:

Edit: I'm in the middle of outlining a story right now. I'm basically drawing elements from a bunch of the books I adored when I was a child, because I'm going to write it for my 12-year-old brother because he LOVES to read and is always looking for new books.

Everyone at once: "awwwww."

Aaaaw, have you told him this?

I think that this year I'm going to do something fantasy/satire-ish. Last year I just did straight fiction, which was fun, but that novel is never, ever, ever going to see the light of day.

Anyway, I'm not going to plan this book out very much. I kinda know what happens in the first few chapters, and I have a sense of where the series is going (I think it'll be a trilogy), but beyond that I'm just going to wing it, because for me that's kinda the point of NaNo.

Actually, last years novel was so hideous that I think I'm going to make a new account (under the name 'cycoris' this time), so that I can totally disassociate myself with That Dreaded Novel and everything pertaining thereunto. :smalleek::smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2009-09-30, 05:03 PM
No, I haven't told him, and I'm not going to till it's finished. :smalltongue: Anyway, I only came up with the idea today. :smallbiggrin:

Destro_Yersul
2009-09-30, 05:06 PM
I've been wanting to try a detective story for a while. I might do something like that.

Mercenary Pen
2009-09-30, 05:12 PM
Well, research phase seems to be going well for me at the moment...

I'm gonna be trying a Sci-Fi Mecha story so I'm working on the following:

1- Sense of perspective within our solar system.
2- Tactical niches and combat doctrine.
3- Whatever else I think of.

I'm currently mostly done with phase 1 and I've got a basic grasp on phase 2 (though that'll be reworked a dozen or more times before November I'm sure...):smallsigh:

Belkarsbadside1
2009-09-30, 05:14 PM
I going to attempt to write one, but it probably wont happen

Jacklu
2009-09-30, 05:17 PM
And Jacklu: do people tell you that you're awesome? 'Cause they should.

:smallredface: Thanks. ♥♥♥

Jalor
2009-09-30, 05:20 PM
I think I might actually do it this year. The only thing I've written in the last few months is a short political article, and I'm frustrated by my own laziness. It's about time I started writing fiction again.

Belkarsbadside1
2009-09-30, 06:03 PM
Do you think someone could read the outline for the story Im plotting when Im done with it?

Pyrian
2009-09-30, 06:10 PM
...and I can read it! :smalltongue:...so in that sense they're 'done'.Can I read one? :smallredface:

averagejoe
2009-09-30, 06:15 PM
Hmmm... I might actually do this. I've been considering a story for awhile that's probably too long to be a short story. It would be my first real attempt at something of this length, but everyone's gotta start somewhere...

Dragonrider
2009-09-30, 06:15 PM
Can I read one? :smallredface:

Que dices? :smallamused:

Pyrian
2009-09-30, 06:38 PM
Que dices? :smallamused:¿Puedo leí una de sus novelas, por favor? :smallwink:

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-09-30, 07:07 PM
Hmmm... Once more, into the breech? Tally-ho and all that?

Maybe... I did it last year, but then didn't do any follow up. Just 50,000+ words of semi-crap, a cast of characters that grew way to big, and the BBEG still hiding in his fortress of doom. That's what happens when you write without an outline. I've got a start, a middle, but no ending.

Not that that's a BAD thing, it's just what happens. To some people. Like me.

Well, I've got a month to write up an outline. Guess I better get busy. :smallamused:

Myshlaevsky
2009-09-30, 07:40 PM
I might give it a go this year. Given my free time, it's probably a toss-up between taking a shot at this or sleeping in for as long as humanly possible every day...

...so I guess I'll see how tired I am come November 1st. :smallbiggrin:

Vortling
2009-09-30, 08:29 PM
I did this one year and managed to win. The story I wrote wasn't finished when I hit 50,000 words and I haven't touched it since that November. I've thought about trying again to finish up the story, but I just can't work up the drive. Especially when I know I'll have games running then eating up my creative juices.

Icewalker
2009-09-30, 09:39 PM
I'm probably going to try my hand at it this year, if I find the time. I may end up doing a collection of short stories instead of one big one though. Start work on Apocalypse. Or Quetzal. Or story-boarding Aviary. Hell, maybe Nicobar's story.

...I probably won't have enough time. :smallsigh:

Coidzor
2009-09-30, 10:19 PM
So far I'm playing around with an idea for vampire mushrooms....

Vespe Ratavo
2009-09-30, 10:33 PM
I made it to 37,000 words in 2007, and 15,000 in 2008. So logically, this year, I will write -7,000 words.

Can't wait. :smalltongue:

Deathslayer7
2009-09-30, 11:28 PM
That's not cheating...that's preparation. :smalltongue:

Here it is. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3015114)

a new one should be made shouldnt it? :smallconfused:

Awesome! Keep me posted; that would be great. :smallcool:

add me in.

Coidzor
2009-09-30, 11:53 PM
God I need to learn how to do an outline and plan this sort of thing.

Or just outline and plan in general. x.x

Felixaar
2009-10-01, 12:44 AM
Oh, come on, DR! You know you can't resist another challenge.

This time though, we'll take precautions to make sure neither of us burns out in a couple of days. Ultimately, instead of the goal being to reach 50,000 words first, the winner is whomever writes the largest total of words over NaNoWriMo, and multiple projects are allowed.

This year? I'm going for 100K.

The stakes? The winner gets to dress the loser in whatever outfit they choose - within reason - and then spend a large amount of time in a public place.

Come on... you know you want to.

As for planning and outlining - yeah, best be prepared before you start writing. Since my plan this year is actually to finish off a number of outstanding projects rather than create something entirely new, a lot of that work is already done for me :smallbiggrin:

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-01, 02:49 AM
a new one should be made shouldnt it? :smallconfused:

Perhaps, yes. But it can wait a few days until they've done the upcoming forum purge.

HellfireLover
2009-10-01, 04:26 AM
I signed up this year, which is 100% more than I did any other year. Good intentions and all that. An overwhelming sense of my own mortality is giving me the imperative to get all this stuff in my head on paper.

loopy
2009-10-01, 04:41 AM
I signed up this year, which is 100% more than I did any other year. Good intentions and all that. An overwhelming sense of my own mortality is giving me the imperative to get all this stuff in my head on paper.

GO MAH HELLFIRE LOVER!!! :smallbiggrin:

You can do it, love. :)

Dragonrider
2009-10-01, 09:15 AM
This time though, we'll take precautions to make sure neither of us burns out in a couple of days. Ultimately, instead of the goal being to reach 50,000 words first, the winner is whomever writes the largest total of words over NaNoWriMo, and multiple projects are allowed.

This year? I'm going for 100K.

The stakes? The winner gets to dress the loser in whatever outfit they choose - within reason - and then spend a large amount of time in a public place.

Come on... you know you want to.

Sorry, but...no. :smalltongue: I am positive this story won't be that long, and I don't want to have to work on two projects because then I won't be able to give appropriate attention to both - I want to edit after I complete the first draft. Sorry, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I don't want to dress humiliatingly. :smallamused:

Raz_Fox
2009-10-01, 10:11 AM
God I need to learn how to do an outline and plan this sort of thing.

Or just outline and plan in general. x.x

Outline? Too early for that, I say. Just let things flow, make an organic "outline" as we approach NaNoWriMo.

I don't know half of what's going to happen or even half of the cast yet, but every day I get a little more inspiration, a little leaf or two that shows me where the tree will be. If I started with just the bare trunk, where'd the fun be?

Start with the little leaves.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-01, 10:14 AM
Outline? Too early for that, I say. Just let things flow, make an organic "outline" as we approach NaNoWriMo.

I don't know half of what's going to happen or even half of the cast yet, but every day I get a little more inspiration, a little leaf or two that shows me where the tree will be. If I started with just the bare trunk, where'd the fun be?

I'm focussing entirely on plot outline, because I can pull names out of thin air usually- so that isn't so much of an issue for me.

Dragonrider
2009-10-01, 10:17 AM

This is where it becomes obvious that everyone writes completely differently. :smalltongue:

I have an outline of the first half or so, though I have no idea where it's leading me....and I probably won't stick to it completely, because for my last novel I had a sheet of paper on my desk beside my laptop and even though I looked at it every half-hour, the plot that emerged bore only a passing resemblance to the one I cribbed out. And it wasn't intentional, exactly, it just evolved that way.

That said...I outline because it gives me an idea of the shape of the story and, as I'm writing, helps me judge how long it's going to be, what kind of arc it will have, and lets me keep track of teasers, red herrings, et cetera.

Penguinsushi
2009-10-01, 10:23 AM
Ah, Nano. I've briefly contemplated trying this a few times. I've done something similar, though in a different vein, the last two years: RPM (http://www.rpmchallenge.com/). As with that project, I feel the need for quantity over quality won't get very far with me, and hence, my hopes of actually completing such a thing are grim indeed.

Still, I've always wanted to try this sort of writing and it's always nice to mentally block off some time saying "I'm gonna work on this here". Perhaps I'll give it a go at least for that much.

Also, admirations to all of you who have and will do it. Creative hobbies are good things. :smallsmile:

~PS

Dragonrider
2009-10-01, 10:26 AM
Also, admirations to all of you who have and will do it. Creative hobbies are good things. :smallsmile:

Hopefully when I have time to start hawking a decent manuscript, it will no longer BE a hobby. :smalltongue:

Syka
2009-10-01, 10:28 AM
October 1st is a special day.

The NaNo Gods have seen fit to bless me with an actual idea so at least I don't go into it blind. I have an end point...I'm just not sure how to get there yet, lol.

Cool thing: this'll be a lead in for a script Oz is writing. The focus being on the character I created years ago which he has comandeered for the script. This'll be fun. :smallbiggrin:

FireFox
2009-10-01, 10:37 AM
I guess I should use this as motivation to actually get down one of my ideas. I'll try it out.

Jacklu
2009-10-01, 11:19 AM
Well, I've picked one of the numerous ideas that have been floating around in mah head for years and am getting ready to start fleshing it out a little. Character names, general flow of plot, any needed research, ect... We'll see how this goes.

loopy
2009-10-01, 11:23 AM
I hereby dare anyone facing writers block to feature my awesome self as a guest character. :smallbiggrin:

Dragonrider
2009-10-01, 11:54 AM
I hereby dare anyone facing writers block to feature my awesome self as a guest character. :smallbiggrin:

I can think of a role or two into which you might slip. :smallamused:

loopy
2009-10-01, 12:02 PM
I can think of a role or two into which you might slip. :smallamused:

Can't wait to read your story then.

So what would I be? Protagonist? Antagonist? Redshirt guy? :smallbiggrin:

cycoris
2009-10-01, 12:06 PM
Redshirt guy? :smallbiggrin:

Uh-oh, you're giving me ideas. Don't do that unless you want to be subject to my every crazed NaNo whim.

Now die a horrific and painful death, you redshirt. Die!

BWAHAHAHA! :smallbiggrin:

...Sorry. :smalleek:

Dragonrider
2009-10-01, 12:10 PM
Probably, loopy, either redshirt or antag. :smalltongue:

My protag is a 13-year-old paper boy in a steampunk setting whose greatest dream is to be an engineer on the fastest train in the world....

loopy
2009-10-01, 12:14 PM
Uh-oh, you're giving me ideas. Don't do that unless you want to be subject to my every crazed NaNo whim.

Now die a horrific and painful death, you redshirt. Die!

BWAHAHAHA! :smallbiggrin:

...Sorry. :smalleek:

Cycoris, you are more than welcome to do whatever you like to fictional me. :smallbiggrin:

Probably, loopy, either redshirt or antag. :smalltongue:

My protag is a 13-year-old paper boy in a steampunk setting whose greatest dream is to be an engineer on the fastest train in the world....

Now I'm extra-extra-excited to read your creation. I hope I'm an antagonist. :smallbiggrin:

And if anyone feels like they need any info about me to portray me accurately, PM away. If not, feel free to adapt fictional me any way you wish, it is after all your work of genius.

I look forward to reading every single creation.

Pyrian
2009-10-01, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't want to be placed in somebody's story. That's a great way to find out what they really think of you. Far too disturbing to contemplate! :smallwink:

loopy
2009-10-01, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't want to be placed in somebody's story. That's a great way to find out what they really think of you. Far too disturbing to contemplate! :smallwink:

I'm naturally paranoid, and thus constantly wondering what people really think about me anyway, so I'm not really all that fussed to actually find out, because its always better than what I think they think about me. :smallamused:

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-01, 01:24 PM
It's kind of interesting to read through everyone's concept alone. Even if I don't participate, I look forward to examining the novels others write.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-01, 01:48 PM
You know what?

I think I'm going to do the Risk thing.

Yeah, sure, it already has a start. But I really think I'm going somewhere with this story.

I'l have time for a outline and such.

Thufir
2009-10-01, 02:01 PM
I might have a go at doing something for this, if I can get my ideas in line.

Catch
2009-10-01, 02:40 PM
I used to think the NaNoWriMo crowd was nuts. Then I transferred to an arts college, majored in Fiction Writing, and took four writing classes in my first semester. Try writing 25-30 pages a week of good material, for 16 weeks straight. Plus edits, rewrites and journals.

If this was held during the summer, when I barely write at all, I'd likely do it. Even now, 6-7 extra pages a day sounds like nothing. Probably won't happen, though.

Stormthorn
2009-10-01, 02:48 PM
One day, perhaps when im not taking a full load of classes AND working up to 24 hours a week, i will write a novel. One day.

Even now, 6-7 extra pages a day sounds like nothing.
I wish i could do that. For me writing a page a day of stuff just for myself is a stretch.

I wanted to write a novel about a world in the future wherin people cruise around on hovercraft spaceship-y-things on a planet covered mostly in water.
Gave up on that idea after a page.
Mostly because i can think up settings and even characters but not plotlines or dialogue.

Catch
2009-10-01, 02:58 PM
I wish i could do that. For me writing a page a day of stuff just for myself is a stretch.

It really depends on your definition of a "page."

NaNoWriMo "pages" (divide 50,000 by 175) are about 250 words, which for me is a double-spaced page in Courier New with page-numbered header. My department's standards have numbed me to huge page counts, because, single spaced, typed stream-of-consciousness, a one-page journal entry becomes four when properly formatted.

After writing enough for long enough, quantity just doesn't persist as a worry, because you're writing for content, not page count.

Eran of Arcadia
2009-10-01, 03:02 PM
This is my first November since I got married, but my wife said to go for it.

I think I will depart from my usual 'verse, and do time travel (which I don't normally like as a plot device).

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-01, 03:30 PM
I think my book will be about a ghost of a ronin ninja robot monkey alien zombie pirate wearing a featureless porcelain mask.

It will have things like mushrooms kung fu fighting and goompas ruling the world with the power of the Fire Flower.

curtis
2009-10-01, 03:33 PM
...So what are you guys actually doing with your stories? Or are you just leaving them ti digitally rot into a shrunken pile of 1s and 0s?

Ikialev
2009-10-01, 03:36 PM
Waaaaait. November is the 11th month, righ?
Because if yes, damn. I thought it's today. :F

potatocubed
2009-10-01, 05:22 PM
Oops. :smalltongue:

As for what I'm going to do with my story - well, if it's good enough I'm going to polish it up and try and sell it to a publisher. I've got confidence in this year's attempt: it's got a definite market (unlike the pulp fiction one), it'll have a sensible plot (unlike the last one), and it'll be finished and reasonably lengthy (unlike the other three).

Dragonrider
2009-10-01, 06:05 PM
At least in the U.S., it's very hard to get published if you don't go through an agent, because it's their job to talk to you, which is something publishers don't like to do. So that will be the next step for me, although I don't know if I'll do it with this particular novel - depending on how it turns out. I think at least one of my others might be a pretty good candidate.

Alarra
2009-10-01, 10:17 PM
I'm doing this again. :smallbiggrin: I have no idea how many words I made last year cause the nano site is down, but I think it was somewhere in the 70-80k range.

I have my novel for this year somewhat planned out. I know how it begins, I know how it ends. I know that somehow I have to get this group of people over here and this group of people over here and these two people have to find this person and these two people have to fall in love....how they do this or what goes on throughout this process, I have no idea yet. I was thinking of making a thread actually and getting suggestions and input on things I have no idea about (the logistics of a city under seige, what sort of interesting things might happen to a group trying to travel across said war-torn country to join the resistance, ahem, etc). But I think I shall hold off on creating said thread until some day when I have gotten more than 3 hours of sleep. Let's hope for tomorrow. =)

Our region has write-ins every week, actually several, because there are ones in many of the various cities around here. The one that I go to usually has about 15 people there and we meet for 3 hours every Thursday (except Thanksgiving, when we move to Wednesday) in November. This year, we're also having a kickoff party Oct. 24th and an all day write-in on Nov. 1. I'm excited this year because I'm already good friends with a bunch of the people that write. I joined a writing group following nano last year. We've met every (nearly) Thursday since last November and it's really kept my motivation to write up. So, any of you that live around Maryland should come! =)

Actually, Maryland's a pretty fantastic state for Nano. The year before last we had the most words of anywhere in the country. We always have competitions with other regions and last year there were at least 40 of us that made over 70k, including one guy that got 500k. We're always in the top of the region stats on the nano site. :smallsmile:

Last year I had a word war with Tormsskull. It was a lot of fun and really made me strive to work harder and write more. I recommend everyone find a partner that they can compete against. Try to find someone that you think will write at the same general pace as you. It's no fun to compete against someone that wins on day 4 for example, if you're going to be struggling to finish at all.

As for what I'm doing with my book.... I've been editing and rewriting the one from last year. It's a lot of work because Helgraf and I wrote it together and it's a bit of a chore to try to integrate our chapters. Luckily our writing styles and characterizations fit well together, which is kinda why we chose to do this. I have intentions of getting this book published, eventually. And yes, it is important, in America anyway, to have an agent. Luckily, I know one...sorta, in that I have his business card anyway, and have talked to him. Ah the use I can actually get out of my graduate publishing program and the year I worked for a publishing company if I actually finish anything. :smallwink:

Dragonrider
2009-10-01, 10:30 PM
I now have a four-page outline, names for seven main characters, a map of the region, and a blurb for when my WriMoProfile updates to 2009. :smallbiggrin: And exactly one month till I can start...oh, dear. I'm really, really excited, though.

I just realized that this novel and my last NaNoWriMo entry are the only two I've ever written with male protags. That's kind of odd. I mean, seeing as I'm a girl, it's not surprising that I write about girls, but a year ago I remember thinking that it would be challenging and now...I don't. Perhaps because I have a brother who is roughly the age of my character (twelve and a half or thirteen).

The big question for me is whether I'm going to write this in first person or in third. I'm leaning toward the latter option, simply because it's more accessible, but I'm not sure yet. I kind of enjoy 1p more, but I've written five novels in that and only half of one in third person, which makes me think that perhaps it's time to do something radically different. Which, I might add, this one definitely will be. And I think it will also be marketable - I mean, judging by the outline.

Why, yes. I AM excited. :smallbiggrin:

Jacklu
2009-10-01, 10:57 PM
This is going to be a challenge for me. I mostly write short stories, because that format fits my style much better. I am torn, because while I love first person, my writing always works better in third and writing first is much harder for long fiction, from my experience.

Dragonrider
2009-10-01, 10:58 PM
writing first is much harder for long fiction, from my experience.

Really? Never had that problem. :smalltongue: I like it because it forces me to consider everything through the protag's eyes.

Jacklu
2009-10-01, 11:02 PM
My problem is that I find it hard extending their stream of consciousness over an extended period of time. The inner monologue proves to be hard for me to keep up.

FoE
2009-10-01, 11:10 PM
So how does this thing work? Do you post your work somewhere?

Trazoi
2009-10-01, 11:16 PM
I should give NaNoWriMo a go this year. Last year I was writing my thesis dissertation, and the thought of writing two badly worded lengthy documents at the same time was too much to bear. I don't have that excuse this year. :smallwink:

Besides, I've been bandying around a bunch of webcomic story ideas but never get much further than the outlines (which expand and twist until they're like a thicket of convoluted ideas). Knuckling down and just writing sounds like a good way to combat that.

Script Frenzy in April sounds more in tune to the format of the things I'd like to write (webcomics, computer game stories), but a novel will good to start with. I don't know what idea I'll go with, whether it's a concept I've already got for something else or something new. Either way, given I haven't written fiction in ages I fully expect what I write will be rubbish. I'm really just wanting the practice.

Alteran
2009-10-01, 11:29 PM
What's this, in my head? Could it possibly be an idea? Why, I think it is!

Also, umm...I just wrote 725 words of the story. I didn't mean to! It just happened!

GallóglachMaxim
2009-10-01, 11:34 PM
So how does this thing work? Do you post your work somewhere?

You can if you want people to read it, but the verification process is an online word count program which doesn't give other people access to your work.

Jacklu
2009-10-01, 11:40 PM
There is a link in the first post. Actually... here. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/)

Alteran
2009-10-01, 11:43 PM
There is a link in the first post. Actually... here. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/)

The site is down, it says they're doing maintenance right now.

potatocubed
2009-10-02, 01:10 AM
The new website is now up. It looks a lot like the old one.

Trazoi
2009-10-02, 01:47 AM
Since I've never participated before: what's the general consensus on planning before November? Is it encouraged to have a synopsis, character list and background research done before Nov 1st, or is it expected that you start blind?

I'm not going to put more than a week into prep regardless, as I'm wanting to stop my habit of spending ages on getting the elements "just right" before beginning. But I'd like to know whether it's considered a faux pas to do that week of prep in October and start with a small mountain of notes.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-02, 02:03 AM
Since I've never participated before: what's the general consensus on planning before November? Is it encouraged to have a synopsis, character list and background research done before Nov 1st, or is it expected that you start blind?

I'm not going to put more than a week into prep regardless, as I'm wanting to stop my habit of spending ages on getting the elements "just right" before beginning. But I'd like to know whether it's considered a faux pas to do that week of prep in October and start with a small mountain of notes.It is perfectly acceptable, and commonplace, to do exactly what you've described before November 1st, so long as you don't actually write any story beforehand. :smallcool:

Trazoi
2009-10-02, 02:15 AM
It is perfectly acceptable, and commonplace, to do exactly what you've described before November 1st, so long as you don't actually write any story beforehand. :smallcool:
By "write any story", do you mean the prose? If I plan ahead, I'll end up with essentially the story structure already written down in point form on cue cards. November will be just fleshing it out with words.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-02, 02:43 AM
By "write any story", do you mean the prose? If I plan ahead, I'll end up with essentially the story structure already written down in point form on cue cards. November will be just fleshing it out with words.Yes, that's what I mean. You're right on target. :smallcool:

cycoris
2009-10-02, 02:53 AM
Hmm, I tend to have a very vague idea of where my plot is going (maybe eventually), have a more concrete sense of what happens in the first chapter or two, and then wing it from there. My writing is very...organic. It just grows from this tiny little seed of an idea, and then sometime in mid-November it somehow turns into a venomous tentacula and tries to strangle me. :smalleek:

But that's all part of the fun.

Anyhow, one reason that I don't like planning too much is because if I do, I get ridiculously attached to my characters, and then I never make anything bad happen to them because it might hurt them. So it's nice to have a blank slate with which I can do whatever I want come November, and then by the time I get really attached to them, I'm too invested in the story to make their lives nice and boring. :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-02, 02:56 AM
I'm doing this again. :smallbiggrin: I have no idea how many words I made last year cause the nano site is down, but I think it was somewhere in the 70-80k range.

I have my novel for this year somewhat planned out. I know how it begins, I know how it ends. I know that somehow I have to get this group of people over here and this group of people over here and these two people have to find this person and these two people have to fall in love....how they do this or what goes on throughout this process, I have no idea yet. I was thinking of making a thread actually and getting suggestions and input on things I have no idea about (the logistics of a city under seige, what sort of interesting things might happen to a group trying to travel across said war-torn country to join the resistance, ahem, etc). But I think I shall hold off on creating said thread until some day when I have gotten more than 3 hours of sleep. Let's hope for tomorrow. =)

Feel free to post for siege advice when you're ready to do so, and I'll certainly offer what help I can. I recommend you fully outline the technological level when you post though, because if we're to advise you, we need to know whether you need castle walls reduced by catapult fire, or whether you need aid agency flyovers to drop food and medicine parcels.

I dare say this is one of the better sites for understanding siege tactics, so we'll give you a better idea how you want yours to go- given half a chance.

EDIT: Have now set up this year's group for Playground NanNoWriMos (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3264235). Not much there yet, but there's always the opportunity to make the obligatory shout outs, etc.

Trazoi
2009-10-02, 04:51 AM
Yes, that's what I mean. You're right on target. :smallcool:
Great, thanks. :smallsmile: Guess I can start casually reading through some library books to get some ideas.

My problem with planning so far is that I tend to get bogged on details and forget the bigger picture. Most of my planned ideas so far tend to build up the cast of secondary characters with elaborate back stories, while the lead protagonist and antagonist would be "maybe some guy/gal with a sword" and "????" respectively.

I guess I need an idea now. I've had a few webcomic concept ideas that require way more talent than I currently have that could work as novels. One has a fantasy setting of a village surrounded by an enchanted forest. The other is best described as James Bond meets Dr. McNinja in the 16th century. I'll probably go with the former as I won't feel guilty about skipping the historical research. :smallwink:

banjo1985
2009-10-02, 05:09 AM
I have something akin to some characters and a vague initial plot in mind...it doesn't help when you're already writing two thing and want to do something completely different for NaNo. :smalleek: No idea where the ending is going to go, I just have a few rough milestones for the story, and I'll see how the story makes the journey between them I think.

I'm going to be looking to pal up with someone, because I don't see much opportunity for me attending any NaNo groups here in the forseeable future. I'm fully expecting to be struggling towards 50k by the 30th November, anyone who also has such modest aims would be helpful. If there's something I've learned about myself recently it's that I definitely need ancouragement to write anything. :smallsmile:

Felixaar
2009-10-02, 05:17 AM
Sorry, but...no. :smalltongue: I am positive this story won't be that long, and I don't want to have to work on two projects because then I won't be able to give appropriate attention to both - I want to edit after I complete the first draft. Sorry, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I don't want to dress humiliatingly. :smallamused:

Hmm. What if we tweak the goal a little bit to make it more universally acheiveable?

Come on :smalltongue: the gauntlet has been thrown! It's just going to gather dust if you don't pick it up. Do it for your obsessive tidiness if nothing else.

banjo1985
2009-10-02, 06:53 AM
I've added the Playgrounders Group on the NaNo site to the first post so that it's easier for people to find once the thread moves on a bit.

Moofin Bard
2009-10-02, 07:46 AM
I plan on at least trying this. If only to see how many words I can actually get.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-02, 08:15 AM
I plan on at least trying this. If only to see how many words I can actually get.

Gotta admit I'll be doing much the same, being my first year attempting this and everything.

Dragonrider
2009-10-02, 09:23 AM
It's gonna be SUCH a fun year. :smallbiggrin:

...And I'm only being halfway facetious. If I can churn out a full outline of my novel in addition to half of two essays in one normal school day, I should be fine with NaNoWriMo.

Mi profile.... (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/412011)

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-02, 09:37 AM
My profile. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/455940)

Also: Looking for people who will nag me on msn to write!

Jacklu
2009-10-02, 09:38 AM
I can help nag, DD. I will also post mah profile once they send me the confirmation email so I can actually log in. >.> Been an hour I've been waiting on it.

Dragonrider
2009-10-02, 09:52 AM
You know what has always amused me? Our thread on the NaNoWriMo forums is titled "In the Playground" even though it is distinctly NOT. It is an outpost of playgroundness in a sea of non....

Who else finds their software infinitely more irritating than ours, though? I know I can't be the only one.... :smalltongue:

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-02, 10:13 AM
You know what has always amused me? Our thread on the NaNoWriMo forums is titled "In the Playground" even though it is distinctly NOT. It is an outpost of playgroundness in a sea of non....

The playground is everywhere... and besides, I borrowed the title from Felixaar's thread for last year's NaNo (after reading through the argument of pros/cons for the name that developed last year).

On the subject of their forum software versus ours, I think the answer is quite simple, we have better coding, etc. because we have a better source of income to allow the site staff to develop it.

potatocubed
2009-10-02, 10:15 AM
The thing that annoys me about the Nano boards is the choice of html they dis/allow. You can't <i> or <b> but you have to <em> and <strong> instead. It's just... fiddly. And it seems less like a technical limitation than a conscious choice.

Nano
2009-10-02, 10:41 AM
The thing that annoys me about the Nano boards is the choice of html they dis/allow. You can't <i> or <b> but you have to <em> and <strong> instead. It's just... fiddly. And it seems less like a technical limitation than a conscious choice.

Not my fault. :smalltongue:

I've been thinking about participating this year - writing has always been something I meant to get into and this is as good a way as any other.

curtis
2009-10-02, 10:42 AM
How do you get your widget into your sig?

EDIT: and when I try to put in book details, it tells me that the 2009 event has ended, or to be more precise:

"It's December 1, and NaNoWriMo 2009 has ended! The word count validator is closed, and your word count is locked for the 2009 event. You can, however, continue to update your novel excerpt, synopsis, and book cover in the off-season. If you have any questions, just pop us a note."

Heeelp meee. :smallredface:

blackfox
2009-10-02, 10:44 AM
Not my fault. :smalltongue:

I've been thinking about participating this year - writing has always been something I meant to get into and this is as good a way as any other.DOOOO ITTTTT. =3
I always have these random ideas for setting and characters that would work for a story but I always have a hard time with the actual story and writing part. :smalltongue:

Nano
2009-10-02, 10:46 AM
Yeah, that's basically my position. :smallyuk: I'm always having random ideas for particular scenes and characters and places run through my head, but when it comes to everything else I hit a block.

Dragonrider
2009-10-02, 11:56 AM
"It's December 1, and NaNoWriMo 2009 has ended! The word count validator is closed, and your word count is locked for the 2009 event. You can, however, continue to update your novel excerpt, synopsis, and book cover in the off-season. If you have any questions, just pop us a note."

Heeelp meee. :smallredface:

They haven't got it up yet, I would guess. There are some things that don't work until November.

Alarra
2009-10-02, 12:08 PM
Hey, so I started a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7044448#post7044448) about my book. If any one wants to pop over there and give me any suggestions, help, etc and so forth, that would be superly cool and fantastic! :smallbiggrin:

curtis
2009-10-02, 12:47 PM
They haven't got it up yet, I would guess. There are some things that don't work until November.

But why would it say 2009?

potatocubed
2009-10-02, 01:02 PM
It'll say 2009 because the Nano site is often a bit... wibbly after an update. It is put together and maintained by volunteers, so I think we can let it slide. :smalltongue:

Alteran
2009-10-02, 03:15 PM
Yeah, that's basically my position. :smallyuk: I'm always having random ideas for particular scenes and characters and places run through my head, but when it comes to everything else I hit a block.

This is exactly me.

I had some ideas for a few scenes and characters yesterday, but that's it. I have no idea how I'd turn it all into a novel.

Helanna
2009-10-02, 03:24 PM
By throwing one of the characters into a random situation on November 1st, and running with it. Use a generator, if you must (Seventh Sanctum (http://www.seventhsanctum.com/) is a good one.)

Really, for anyone who *might* consider doing it, but doesn't have ideas/characters/plots, just use a generator and write without any type of outline. The book doesn't have to be publishable, good, or even coherent, really. You never have to show it to anyone else if you don't want to. It's all just for fun, so don't hang back!

cycoris
2009-10-02, 04:14 PM
And...my profile (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/512380)!

Add me, nag me, procrastinate with me, whatever. I might even share my recipe for NaNo survival 5-minute-chocolate-cake-in-a-mug with you! :smallbiggrin:

HellfireLover
2009-10-02, 04:25 PM
My profile (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/506571). Feel free to add, prod, nag, message, pester and even encourage me! :smalltongue: Oy. I might actually get this thing done.

Dragonrider
2009-10-02, 04:32 PM
I have now added both of you as buddies. XD my list is growing ridiculously long...and mostly playgrounders.

Edit: I've created a playlist for writing and am listening to it to accustom myself to all the songs, so they just become background noise during the actual writing. Because my story takes place on a train, I've included a ton of songs that incorporate that motif (Nullarbor Song by Kasey Chambers, A Bad Penny and Peace Train by Cat Stevens). And then a bunch that just sort of capture the darker atmosphere of my Steampunkland, the Innan Empire.

curtis
2009-10-02, 04:41 PM
My profile is here, (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/456918)and I've just added a bunch of you people.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-02, 04:48 PM
I am this guy. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/414282)

I can't believe GitP is the only place I do not go by Khantalas.

Elvaris
2009-10-02, 05:03 PM
My profile. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/110286)

This will be the fifth year for me, though the first where I didn't already know what I'd be writing (or not writing, as is usually the case... damn depression) by now. It's a good thing there's still a month to brainstorm, though "round the fantasy/sci-fi/steampunk world boat race" keeps popping up whenever I consider it...

Dragonrider
2009-10-02, 05:04 PM
I am this guy. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/414282)

I can't believe GitP is the only place I do not go by Khantalas.

And you USED to be Khantalas here...why, BTW, did you change it? (If you don't mind me asking...)

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-02, 05:06 PM
Well, having a somewhat firmer idea on how to approach this now I've signed up under the name Osipovna (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/513005). I have already added everyone on this page.

celtois
2009-10-02, 07:29 PM
I'm planning on trying it.. but I've always been pretty bad about finishing what I start. But on the other hand firefox did challenge me and it would be nice to beat him. :smalltongue:

My profile.. which I really need to add stuff too.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/513024

Deathslayer7
2009-10-02, 08:42 PM
and here is my own profile (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/511894). asks for people encouragement/nagging. Once it starts of course.

rubakhin
2009-10-02, 09:40 PM
Me! (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/413914) *adds you all*

God, I have no idea what to write this year. I want to write something fun, and not dismal and sad, unlike everything else I've ever written in my whole entire life.

I'm thinking a crappy vampire romance novel!

Except, I know if I try to write a crappy vampire romance novel it's just going to turn into a horribly depressing HIV metaphor thing and it would be weird to try and hack out my issues using vampires.

Also, not very fun. :smallannoyed: My goal this year is just to write something where I don't feel like killing myself at the end!

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-02, 10:34 PM
Hey, didn't I add you last year, Ruba?

This year, I'm going for the insane, hollywood-and-completely-inaccurate synthesia-saddled Private investigator hunting or his Aunt's Cat and winding up on the wrong side of the Penguin Mafia.

Why yes, yes it will be silly.

Stormthorn
2009-10-02, 11:20 PM
The inner monologue proves to be hard for me to keep up.

My personal monologue inside me never shuts up. Words and images allways in my head. Sometimes i cant fall asleep for hours just from the noise in my head. Sometimes the noise is things i dont want to see.

I suppose i could write that down for nanowrimo and call it a novel. But...well...if Faulkner and the character Willy Wonka co-authored an erotic horror novel after dropping Acid...yea. Somehting like that.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-02, 11:35 PM
I suppose i could write that down for nanowrimo and call it a novel. But...well...if Faulkner and the character Willy Wonka co-authored an erotic horror novel after dropping Acid...yea. Somehting like that.

I'd hit read that.

Felixaar
2009-10-03, 06:50 AM
Right here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/259444).

Profile could use a little updating, though.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-10-03, 01:14 PM
Okay, guys, I might actually be doing NaNoWriMo.
BUT!
But, it won't be as a single novel. My issue right now is writing anything at all. So, my goal is just to hit that word count in a month, whether its writing one large story, or several small ships, if need be.

Here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/246291)

Ikialev
2009-10-03, 01:28 PM
This one's mine (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/511605)

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-03, 01:40 PM
Okay, guys, I might actually be doing NaNoWriMo.
BUT!
But, it won't be as a single novel. My issue right now is writing anything at all. So, my goal is just to hit that word count in a month, whether its writing one large story, or several small ships, if need be.

Here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/246291)

I have a similar problem (mostly with writer's block), so I'm developing sub-plots now so that I can chop and change between them as I run out of ideas for each...

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-03, 01:41 PM
I'm really having a good story for this nanowrimo, but It's getting hard not to write already...

Dragonrider
2009-10-03, 01:44 PM
I'm really having a good story for this nanowrimo, but It's getting hard not to write already...

Yeah, I'm having the same problem!

curtis
2009-10-03, 01:47 PM
Totally. I WANT TO WRITE, DAMMIT!

Pyrian
2009-10-03, 02:04 PM
Hmm. The fact that NaNoWriMo is being used as a reason to not write is kind of disturbing, don't you think? :smalltongue: Kind of... Not the point.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-03, 02:40 PM
Hmm. The fact that NaNoWriMo is being used as a reason to not write is kind of disturbing, don't you think? :smalltongue: Kind of... Not the point.

Know what you mean, but once you've got an idea, the last thing you want to do is waste it by starting off before NaNo begins (or at least that's the way I found it).

I'm having to go out of my way to find things to do other than getting started at the moment. The new discworld novel lasted less than 8 hours, and there's only so much re-watching of stuff (even stuff related to your theme) that a person can do at a stretch.

cycoris
2009-10-03, 02:48 PM

Yeah, well I've been contemplating doing a couple of ships that have been floating around my head very vaguely to stop my itchy fingers from working on my NaNo novel. :smallbiggrin:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-03, 03:58 PM
I'm looking foward to seeing little green bars in everyone's signiture this year.
It'll be so. Much. Fun.

:smallbiggrin:
*Resists writing about Unnamed Crazy Detective Man*

Jacklu
2009-10-03, 05:55 PM
Apparently I am unable to create an account with NaNo... =/ This is very disheartening.

Alarra
2009-10-03, 07:15 PM
Why can't you?

Jacklu
2009-10-03, 07:20 PM
Here it is. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/512576) Took a bunch of fiddling, and I'm not actually sure how it happened. Oh well. It works now at least.

Would we be able to compile all the individual profile links on the OP? Or would people object to that. =/

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-03, 07:42 PM
Thanatos's Profile is linked here. (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/400834)

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-10-03, 08:52 PM
I have a good outline for my first short story, and a vague outline for my second, and a vague idea for my third. Each one is following Gart, my main character, in the most trying time for the Adeptes Astartes chapter, the Vulture Legion (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=179407&st=0#entry2122948).

The first short story is straight-forward fantasy with tech in the place of magic, the second is Bildungsroman, the third is an equally straightforward 40k Action novel.

FoE
2009-10-03, 09:10 PM
OK, I signed up. First-time participant.

As cheesy as it sounds, I'll write a D&D novel. I've had an idea kicking around my head and I need to dispel the creature by trapping its essence in a prison of words riddled with plot holes and spelling errors.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/514007

Raz_Fox
2009-10-03, 09:55 PM
Oh hai. You can haz profile? (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/511448)

Still adding little leaves. I just figured out my villain's name tonight.

Lioness
2009-10-03, 10:08 PM
I think I'd like to do it, but I have issues with thinking up stories. I can never get ideas.

Jacklu
2009-10-03, 10:14 PM
Well, you do have a month to think about it. Besides, it isn't about writing stunningly original work. It is about writing at all.

Lioness
2009-10-03, 10:21 PM
That's good, because any plot lines I tend to think up are usually rather lame.

Still, I will give it a go, because creative writing is my weak point, and I want to make it stronger.

Jacklu
2009-10-03, 10:56 PM
Yay! Another one joins the ranks!

AmberVael
2009-10-03, 11:26 PM
I'm busy contemplating NaNoWriMo. I've signed up, but I don't have a real idea yet (some pseudo ideas, but none really specific), so who knows if I'll actually give it a go this year.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-10-04, 04:58 AM
I think I'd like to do it, but I have issues with thinking up stories. I can never get ideas.

Ideas are easy. NAMES are hard!

I've got my story all laid out, but I'm still using Fighter 1, Fighter 2, Thief Girl, Wizard Girl, Halfling Cleric and Half-Elf Bard instead of names!

curtis
2009-10-04, 04:59 AM
Steal them from friends? Or board members, for that matter.

FoE
2009-10-04, 04:59 AM

I've got my story all laid out, but I'm still using Fighter 1, Fighter 2, Thief Girl, Wizard Girl, Halfling Cleric and Half-Elf Bard instead of names!

I agree: names ARE damn hard to come up with.

Steal them from friends? Or board members, for that matter.

Yes, I've done that.

Lioness
2009-10-04, 06:52 AM
I disagree. Sure, the right name is hard to come up with, but until then you can use a generic name until you think of something.

I have an idea now...I thought of it while in the shower. I don't know whether it can take me to 50k words, but I'll give it a try. I will steer clear of D&D storylines, because then I will feel somehow odd, like I was writing a story that someone else came up with. I'm thinking mix between real life and fairytale.

Lioness
2009-10-04, 09:08 AM
Anyway, here I am. Profile all created. Preferred username taken, so alternate name used. I am still me, don't fear.

Me (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/514333)

Guru
2009-10-04, 09:09 AM
I'm looking to participate for the first time this year. I've been thinking about it since June, but I'm afraid I might not have enough time...

Lioness
2009-10-04, 09:13 AM
I'm going to have a time problem too...

School full time, plus 15 hours of work a week, plus 5 hours of dancing and 3 of archery. 5 of D&D, and 30 of sleeping.

I think some foruming time will have to disappear. Which is saying something...I spend a lot of time on forums. More time than I spend doing my homework.

Oh well. Expect me to all but disappear during November.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-04, 09:15 AM

Yeah, I'm having the same problem!

Totally. I WANT TO WRITE, DAMMIT!

To be honest, I plan to begin writing my story a little early. To stick to the spirit of the thing I should probably then scrap it and begin anew on the 1st. I just need to know that I can write about what I intend to.

Lioness
2009-10-04, 09:23 AM
I'm going to need this next month to plan. I cannot see me being able to write 50k words just letting the characters and plot develop themselves. I'm a very inexperienced writer, so they will probably refuse to work by themselves, instead waiting until I whip them into working for me.

Dogmantra
2009-10-04, 09:31 AM
I'm going to need this next month to plan. I cannot see me being able to write 50k words just letting the characters and plot develop themselves. I'm a very inexperienced writer, so they will probably refuse to work by themselves, instead waiting until I whip them into working for me.
I'm a very inexperienced writer and waiting for characters and plot to develop by themselves is the only way I can write :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-04, 09:40 AM
Which is how you shouldn't write.

Only very few writers are able to pull such a style of, most people just eventually run into either dead ends, silent zones, writers blocks or such.

Granted, I usually write that way. >.> But I'm gonna try to write a plot and plan for nano.

Dogmantra
2009-10-04, 09:46 AM
When it works, it works very well. If I write an outline, it works even better. I don't actually stick to the outline very much at all, but it gives me an idea of the characters and what their motivations and whatnot are. With my other writing project that failed miserably, my favourite bit wasn't even in the outline at all. It even set up a catchphrase!

Lioness
2009-10-04, 10:14 AM
I'm starting to get the 'oh my God I'm crazy what have I got myself into' thoughts...I'm gonna go to sleep.

PirateMonk
2009-10-04, 10:26 AM

Isn't that what Seventh Sanctum is for?

Dragonrider
2009-10-04, 10:33 AM
Which is how you shouldn't write.

I object to anyone telling anyone else this because it tends to be discouraging. :smalltongue: I have had people tell me, "You shouldn't do NaNoWriMo because it encourages quantity instead of quality!" The fact is, WriMo suits my writing style perfectly - my last four novels (one of which is arguably the best I've ever written) have been done in a WriMo-esque period of time. And two of them will never see the light of day, because one is bad and the other is in the same world and relies on the first for the plot to make sense, but I have tried writing slowly and it just doesn't work for me.

Point is, I don't think telling people that the way they write "shouldn't" happen is particularly useful. Especially since Dogmantra's writing style sounds an awful lot like J.R.R. Tolkien's. :smallbiggrin:

[/rant]

(Note: Not in any way a criticism of you, DD - your post just sparked it. :smallwink:)

Dogmantra
2009-10-04, 10:41 AM
Especially since Dogmantra's writing style sounds an awful lot like J.R.R. Tolkien's. :smallbiggrin:

This is... incredibly reassuring. I've been told I write like two very good authors in as many weeks. I'm starting to feel more excited about NaNoWriMo than nervous now...

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-04, 10:43 AM
I object to anyone telling anyone else this because it tends to be discouraging. :smalltongue: I have had people tell me, "You shouldn't do NaNoWriMo because it encourages quantity instead of quality!" The fact is, WriMo suits my writing style perfectly - my last four novels (one of which is arguably the best I've ever written) have been done in a WriMo-esque period of time. And two of them will never see the light of day, because one is bad and the other is in the same world and relies on the first for the plot to make sense, but I have tried writing slowly and it just doesn't work for me.

Point is, I don't think telling people that the way they write "shouldn't" happen is particularly useful. Especially since Dogmantra's writing style sounds an awful lot like J.R.R. Tolkien's. :smallbiggrin:

[/rant]

(Note: Not in any way a criticism of you, DD - your post just sparked it. :smallwink:)
Heh, no problem.

I see how that post could be taken, and I'm wrong then. It's just a general thing of ''it doesn't work for most people for long stories, as far as I know''

cycoris
2009-10-04, 11:53 AM
I have a veeeery vague idea of the plot (as in, I think this and this happen in the first book, leading to this in the second book, which is why they're doing this in the last book), and that's usually enough for me, at least until I get about 20,000 words in, and then I write out a more detailed plot, usually a general outline of what happens in each chapter or two. But even that plot is more of a guideline anyway. :smallbiggrin:

This is the way that I wrote my last NaNo novel, and while it will never see the light of day because I poured every bit of my emotional issues into it (which was cathartic but makes for a hideous book), the plot and such held together fairly well, at least as well as that of my previous, painstakingly planned out novels if not better, and it had a sense of spontaneity that the previous ones lacked.

curtis
2009-10-04, 12:28 PM
I start writing with only a vague idea of what I'm doing, and by the time I've written the first few pages I'll have most of it planned in my head.

Jacklu
2009-10-04, 12:39 PM

Quoted for truth.

Picking any generic name is okay, but I've long felt that picking the right name for a character is crucial for a good story. If you read the character's name and is just doesn't fit, it can ruin an otherwise great story.

Dragonrider
2009-10-04, 03:13 PM
Quoted for truth.

Picking any generic name is okay, but I've long felt that picking the right name for a character is crucial for a good story. If you read the character's name and is just doesn't fit, it can ruin an otherwise great story.

I admit that I just pick whatever name comes into my head when I imagine the character.

It seems to work - my protag is Jacklen, or Jack, and it definitely suits. Another main character is a girl named Persephone Cotts and her dad, who is also crucial to the story, is Edworth Cotts. The names just kind of...work, and I spent approximately three seconds on each of them.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-04, 03:15 PM
Lucky you.

mercurymaline
2009-10-04, 03:20 PM
*sigh*
NaNo time again.

I hand-write all my first drafts. So, my options are, do a second draft for NaNo, or follow the complicated hand-written rules. Or, stay sane and just ignore NaNo completely.

Dogmantra
2009-10-04, 03:35 PM
Well I totally added a synopsis for my book, which I'm planning on calling The Pocket English Dictionary (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/471525) because of a really clever (read: probably sort of okay, but original as far as I know) idea for the chapters... It doesn't have much relevance to the story, yet. I do have an inkling of how to link it more than tenously, though I like titles that make you think...

Dragonrider
2009-10-04, 03:39 PM
That is amusing. :smallamused:

GAH, I am so unspeakable excited. I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT! :smallbiggrin:

Fortunately I have school to distract me over the next three weeks. Unfortunately, it will also be there in November. But in the meantime......

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-04, 03:45 PM
Well I totally added a synopsis for my book, which I'm planning on calling The Pocket English Dictionary (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/471525) because of a really clever (read: probably sort of okay, but original as far as I know) idea for the chapters... It doesn't have much relevance to the story, yet. I do have an inkling of how to link it more than tenously, though I like titles that make you think...

I'm going to be trying something a little different with the chapters too, but nothing so impressive. And my idea will have been done hundreds of time before.

Jacklu
2009-10-04, 09:33 PM
I admit that I just pick whatever name comes into my head when I imagine the character.

It seems to work - my protag is Jacklen, or Jack, and it definitely suits. Another main character is a girl named Persephone Cotts and her dad, who is also crucial to the story, is Edworth Cotts. The names just kind of...work, and I spent approximately three seconds on each of them.

Dragon is very lucky. Jacklu can and has agonized for hours, sometimes days, more often than not however long it took to finish the story, over what to name his characters.

Also, Jacklu needs a bit of help. I have three main ideas in my head that I have wanted to get going for some time. Each one is just as fleshed out as the others, but I can't make up my mind. Should I go for:

A: Post apocalyptic setting, following one of the few who somehow survived the sudden disappearance of close to 100% of humanity in the middle of the night, as he tries to figure out what happened to everyone else in the world, and just what has moved in in humanities stead.

B: Steampunk setting, following the tale of a young engineer on a giant flying city as she finds herself suddenly caught up in a plot that reaches from the lowly working class to the high class aristocrats who run the city and the others like it, rooting out clues to the conspiracy that could change the world as she knows it.

C: Set in a superhero-esche setting, following the daily life of a man who is unique in that he is the only "normal" person in a city in which every citizen has been born with super powers, uncovering the mechanisms that have guided the city from behind the curtains and the hidden plot that has lead to the cities creation and its future impact on the rest of the world that doesn't know it even exists.

Give me your votes, and I shall write whichever comes out on top. Should I make a seprate thread for this?

AmberVael
2009-10-04, 09:44 PM
B. I like fantasy and stuff, but some of the greatest plots and stories are in less flashy settings. A certain amount of awesomeness is good and cool (see flying steampunk city), but you don't want things to draw attention away from the most important part (plot and characters).

Plus, B reminds me of Last Exile, and I kinda liked that anime.

FoE
2009-10-04, 09:47 PM
A: Post apocalyptic setting, following one of the few who somehow survived the sudden disappearance of close to 100% of humanity in the middle of the night, as he tries to figure out what happened to everyone else in the world, and just what has moved in in humanities stead.

B: Steampunk setting, following the tale of a young engineer on a giant flying city as she finds herself suddenly caught up in a plot that reaches from the lowly working class to the high class aristocrats who run the city and the others like it, rooting out clues to the conspiracy that could change the world as she knows it.

C: Set in a superhero-esche setting, following the daily life of a man who is unique in that he is the only "normal" person in a city in which every citizen has been born with super powers, uncovering the mechanisms that have guided the city from behind the curtains and the hidden plot that has lead to the cities creation and its future impact on the rest of the world that doesn't know it even exists.

C is the story for me.

KerfuffleMach2
2009-10-04, 09:56 PM
Alright. I'm signing up for it.

Mostly for fun. I am fairly certain I won't make it, but we'll see.

I have a pretty good idea for my story. Just gotta work out some finer details.

Alarra
2009-10-04, 10:05 PM
I vote for B.

FireFox
2009-10-04, 10:12 PM
Mm, I vote A, Jacklu.

Here's (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/512095) my profile, by the by...

KerfuffleMach2
2009-10-04, 10:16 PM
Jacklu, I'm gonna have to go with C.

Dragonrider
2009-10-04, 11:02 PM
I think C is more unique-sounding....

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-04, 11:59 PM
A sounds more interesting, if properly written.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-05, 02:11 AM
I'd go with either option A or option C personally. In fact, if I hadn't already got an idea- which, fortunately I have- I'd be very tempted to ask to borrow A...

Felixaar
2009-10-05, 03:54 AM
my last four novels (one of which is arguably the best I've ever written) have been done in a WriMo-esque period of time. And two of them will never see the light of day, because one is bad and the other is in the same world and relies on the first for the plot to make sense, but I have tried writing slowly and it just doesn't work for me.

I'm curious, which of the last four was arguably the best?

Also, I liked those two, the latter (TMAW) especially was beautiful. I'd be dissapointed if they didnt get to see the light of day even if the first would need to be heavily rewritten.

But, sup to you.

Oh, and Jacklu, go with C. The other two are pretty unoriginal.

So, everbody, since Dragonrider chickened out, wussed down, and generally failed to answer my challenge - like a girl - anyone feel like taking me on instead? Winner is the person who write most words in NaNo, and the winner gets to pick the losers (hilarious) outfit before we go hang out somewhere public. Obviously to qualify you'd have to be planning to meet me within a year or so (which if you're going to be around for my roadtrip is fairly likely). I warn you all, I'm going for 100K this year... tbh I think DR was the only one with a fair chance, but I guess she just don't love me as much anymore :smallfrown: :smalltongue: neener neener.

BooNL
2009-10-05, 03:56 AM
Hmmz, NaNoWriMo. While I've heard a lot about it, I've never participated.

I'm not much of a writer, but I've always been interested in writing my own novel someday. My girlfriend on the other hand has been dreaming of becoming a writer for a very long time. Only because of our current situation (very hectic!) she never finds the time to sit down and write.

Maybe this will inspire us both to push that pen to the paper!

Edit: Jacklu: go for A!

banjo1985
2009-10-05, 04:00 AM
I vote B if that helps.

My profile is here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/511396), maybe posting the link will get me to put something in it. :smalltongue:

Felixaar
2009-10-05, 04:10 AM
Oh, and by the way, I'm not a fan of the "let characters and events develope themselves" theory of writing, though I do think people should write the way that suits them best - plus this is what Stephen King admits to doing most of the time, and I am a fan of him (even if his best books are the ones where he doesnt do this). I'm not saying characters shouldnt leap off the page and make some of the story themselves, I'm just saying you shouldn't rely on them to do so.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-05, 06:10 AM
I'm curious, which of the last four was arguably the best?

Also, I liked those two, the latter (TMAW) especially was beautiful. I'd be dissapointed if they didnt get to see the light of day even if the first would need to be heavily rewritten.

But, sup to you.

Oh, and Jacklu, go with C. The other two are pretty unoriginal.

So, everbody, since Dragonrider chickened out, wussed down, and generally failed to answer my challenge - like a girl - anyone feel like taking me on instead? Winner is the person who write most words in NaNo, and the winner gets to pick the losers (hilarious) outfit before we go hang out somewhere public. Obviously to qualify you'd have to be planning to meet me within a year or so (which if you're going to be around for my roadtrip is fairly likely). I warn you all, I'm going for 100K this year... tbh I think DR was the only one with a fair chance, but I guess she just don't love me as much anymore :smallfrown: :smalltongue: neener neener.

Well, as a UK playgrounder, there's pretty much a snowball's chance in the nine hells of me getting to the US, so I can't participate in your little challenge Felixaar... But for less skilled writers out there, would you be amenable to a handicap of some sort to make it a little more of a contest?

Blayze
2009-10-05, 06:32 AM
NaNoWriMo? Bah! Bah, I say! It's time for me to break out NaNoWriYePlMo -- National Novel Writing Year Plus Month. That's right, I'm going for a thirteen-month NaNoWriMo. 50,000 words? Try a million. If I manage this, it'll be fantastic.

GallóglachMaxim
2009-10-05, 07:18 AM
Snip

Should I go for:

I vote for B, sounds interesting.

And my NaNo profile is here http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/207147 .

potatocubed
2009-10-05, 07:27 AM
I vote B, also.

Ikialev
2009-10-05, 07:39 AM
NaNoWriMo? Bah! Bah, I say! It's time for me to break out NaNoWriYePlMo -- National Novel Writing Year Plus Month. That's right, I'm going for a thirteen-month NaNoWriMo. 50,000 words? Try a million. If I manage this, it'll be fantastic.
I heard that Kateness is going for million in this month.

Also B

AmberVael
2009-10-05, 07:48 AM
I heard that Kateness is going for million in this month.

That sounds ridiculous... assuming you write all but 8 hours every day (sleep, eat, shower, etc), you're still doing what? 2000 words an hour?

Raz_Fox
2009-10-05, 08:01 AM
Go for B, Jacklu! Believe in yourself!

potatocubed
2009-10-05, 09:09 AM
That sounds ridiculous... assuming you write all but 8 hours every day (sleep, eat, shower, etc), you're still doing what? 2000 words an hour?

Well, Kateness herself says she turns out about 4000 words per hour, so for her it's far from an unreachable goal. (I think she did 800,000 last year?)

The most I've ever written in a day is 4000 words, so I think I'll leave this kind of challenge to the fast writers. :smalltongue:

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-05, 10:36 AM
Well, Kateness herself says she turns out about 4000 words per hour, so for her it's far from an unreachable goal. (I think she did 800,000 last year?)

The most I've ever written in a day is 4000 words, so I think I'll leave this kind of challenge to the fast writers. :smalltongue:

4000 words an hour? What is this, touch-typing taken to the extreme or some sort of computer-microphone rig for vocal-based word processing?

Dragonrider
2009-10-05, 10:39 AM

I think TMAW could stand on it's own - I'm talking about Breleth and The Storyteller. I changed TMAW considerably, BTW, so if you're ever feeling up to a proofing, seeing as it's been a year since you've read it... :smallamused:

I think that with some tidying up, Home and Haven might be sellable. But in terms of marketability, this new one might be the best - it's the easiest to categorize and off the top of my head I can think of plenty of novels that are of a kind with it. The actual premise/idea is new, as far as I know, but the type of characters and such isn't that hard to find. In that sense, I think it bridges the gap pretty well between "original" and "not risky". :smalltongue:

So, everbody, since Dragonrider chickened out, wussed down, and generally failed to answer my challenge - like a girl - *snip* ... tbh I think DR was the only one with a fair chance, but I guess she just don't love me as much anymore :smallfrown: :smalltongue: neener neener.

Shaddupshaddupshaddupshadd - wait, I think there was a compliment buried somewhere in that muck. :smallamused: HAHAHA.

I suppose I should be grateful, seeing as my new NaNoWriMo playlist (I'm listening to it already so it can be well-embedded in my skull for the actual writing) has several songs courtesy of you on it. NEVAHTHELESS...poopyhead!

cycoris
2009-10-05, 11:47 AM

Wait... I'm going for 100K this year as well. But I'm not going to even think about taking on your challenge, if only because I don't want to run the risk of having to wear something stupid, and, I wouldn't get the pleasure of seeing you in it if I did win (which I would). :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

So yeah, I'm pretty much telling you that I could clobber you over the head, but I'm choosing not to. :smallamused:

Also, DeeRee, way to go with the insults. Very...mature and inventive. :smallbiggrin:

curtis
2009-10-05, 12:38 PM
I like C.

4000 words an hour is over 1 word per second.

I'd take up your challenge, but I would lose, and I live in the UK so wouldn't be able to get to you.

Dogmantra
2009-10-05, 12:40 PM
4000 words an hour is over 1 word per second.
If you use a computer often, and you're just copying, your typing speed should be something like 60 WPM, which is one per second. Admittedly, when you need to think, you slow down.

I think I'm turning into Douglas Adams. He got the idea for The Restaurant at the End of the Universe from a song, and he used to play the same song on repeat when he was trying to write and couldn't. I got the idea for The Pocket English Dictionary from Always the Moon by JoCo. Guess which song is now on repeat...

Dragonrider
2009-10-05, 01:03 PM
I type 100 wpm, which in theory means that I could get a lot out, but it would be gibberish. :smalltongue:

Dogmantra
2009-10-05, 01:48 PM
Isn't that the whole idea of NaNoWriMo? :smalltongue:

BooNL
2009-10-05, 02:05 PM
I've been calling around a bit and I've already got a couple of friends willing to participate as well. I'm hoping to get a group of 5-10 people together as a sort of support group.

I know I will probably need a right butt-kicking halfway through to make sure I actually finish this thing!

Dragonrider
2009-10-05, 02:07 PM
Isn't that the whole idea of NaNoWriMo? :smalltongue:

I already know I can write 50,000 words of gibberish in under a week. So my goal is to write 50,000 words of comprehensible plot in under a month. And as I've done this before as well, I expect that my goal will be upped to writing MORE than 50,000 words of comprehensible plot. :smalltongue:

AmberVael
2009-10-05, 02:13 PM
I'm still trying to figure out a plot or basis for what story I want to make. I've got a very vague idea, but I don't know where to go from there...

I want to write an Epic. You know, like the Epic of Gilgamesh, or Beowulf, the Iliad, or the Ramayana.

I've always been in love with old myths and the like, and I'd really like to try and capture the style and traditions of one. Still, the difficulty remains that I don't have a clear plot idea, just a sort of style, tradition and framework that I might be able to follow. It does give me a very very basic plot to follow (hero overcoming some task and probably changing somehow), but... there's still a lot of ways to work with that concept.

I don't want to use someone's idea wholesale, but ideas or suggestions to sort of get me thinking would be good.

Gourtox
2009-10-05, 02:19 PM
Go for B

I plan on doing a sci-fi novel about a group of soldiers who discover that an ancient evil is rising and must stop it. Hopefully I can get 50,000 this year and not chicken out.

Dragonrider
2009-10-05, 02:29 PM
The website appears to be down. I am sad. :smallfrown:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-10-05, 02:52 PM
Why is it always down whenever I try to go sign up?

Oh, and I've been listening to Do It Or Die, and Bad Medicine, both by Die Mannequin, over and over again. Will this influence by writing? Find out next time on...

Dogmantra
2009-10-05, 03:04 PM
I already know I can write 50,000 words of gibberish in under a week. So my goal is to write 50,000 words of comprehensible plot in under a month. And as I've done this before as well, I expect that my goal will be upped to writing MORE than 50,000 words of comprehensible plot. :smalltongue:

Comprehensible plot schmonprehensible plot. I'm sure I can work an excuse into my novel for finishing with 34 000 "a"s

FoE
2009-10-05, 03:22 PM
Comprehensible plot schmonprehensible plot. I'm sure I can work an excuse into my novel for finishing with 34 000 "a"s

You could write a tragedy from the perspective of a novelist writing his magnum opus who has a fatal heart attack a third of the way through the book, causing his head to strike the keyboard.